[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Discouraging hobbyists?

This is a red board which means that it's strictly for adults (Not Safe For Work content only). If you see any illegal content, please report it.

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 1

File: goodness gracious.png (27KB, 1144x1722px) Image search: [Google]
goodness gracious.png
27KB, 1144x1722px
Real talk, would you recommend an irl friend or other person with a passion for drawing you care about to come to this board for advice?

I'm asking because just looking over the threads for the past couple days, it seemed like all of /ic/ is very unfriendly to not just newcomers, but anyone pursuing drawing in any capacity other than "aspiring to make a career of it".

I realize this is 4chan, so there's always going to be some degree of inside baseball here (on essentially every board), and that there's a reflexive distaste in some for any new factors endangering the mood of a community they're enjoying. And that I'm personally pretty shit at gauging how much of this is just sarcasm or jokes.

But from limited exposure to the board, I'd have taken it to be a constant, withering cascade of VERY vocal individuals just calling everything shit and repeating the same three buzzwords

>doesn't draw for 12 hours a day
>not enough fundamentals
>not gonna make it

at people, without actually engaging with their art for criticism, with half a sprinkle of redliners and people giving actual advice. At best.

Or a cesspool of elitists without anything to actually show for themselves actively trying to discourage anyone who got over themselves enough to try and expose a hobby close to their heart to criticism at worst.

Personally, I don't know what to think anymore.

What's your opinion?
>>
>Real talk, would you recommend an irl friend or other person with a passion for drawing you care about to come to this board for advice?
lol no
>>
>>2596384
the banter game is pretty strong, but most things said are meant as joke I feel. Most people are actually friendly to beginners, when they don't act high and mighty.

The question is the following: Is the person willing to get through the banter to actually get better? If not I don't think this is the place for them.
I think ic is actually pretty nice overall, just know which threads not to go into.
>>
>>2596384
ur retarded bro?
why would you admit to someone irl u browse 4chans
if someone asks me about memes i say yeah 9gag is funny XD
>>
>>2596384
If you don't commit to drawing, you don't deserve to be here.

Simple as that.

It has nothing to do with making art a career. If you don't want to be better than the day before, and strive for the mountaintop (even if you never even reach it) there's literally no point on going to this board.

This isn't even just /ic/'s mentality. /fit/ does this too.
>>
>>2596400
>If you don't commit to drawing, you don't deserve to be here.

please. You are acting like being here is some badge of honor.
>>
>>2596403
Exactly.

That gives even less reason why those people would be here
>>
>>2596400
/ic/ is much worse though, /fit/ is at least friendly for newcomers who want to improve
>>
>>2596384
Anyone who can't take crit and doesn't want to improve doesn't have a passion for drawing
if you don't have a passion go do something else. play video games
>>
>>2596411
because on fit they dont see your shitty squats
unless you post them and if you do you get your asshole torn
>>
>>2596384
As someone who casually comes to /ic/ I would actually recommend it to anyone seeking to improve. Sure a lot of shit goes on here but there are so many resources on offer that you'd be a fool to dismiss it. In the short time I've been here my art has become a hell of a lot tighter thanks to the endless recourse threads, artbooks, and constructive criticism you see in some threads like the Alt Art threads for example.

/ic/ won't make you into the next Francois Corteggiani but it'll certainly put you on the right path in my opinion.
Thread posts: 11
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.