[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Learning by "Trying until the shit works"

This is a red board which means that it's strictly for adults (Not Safe For Work content only). If you see any illegal content, please report it.

Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 1

File: 8767.png (65KB, 480x320px) Image search: [Google]
8767.png
65KB, 480x320px
>let me teach you how to make "art"

>Never understood the people that can't learn >to draw by themselves, it's fucking trial and >error
>I want my drawing to look lake "this"
>try
>Well it doesn't look good, it looks like shit
>why?
>Oh my lines are shit

>I will draw a human
>draw
>wow my human looks like shit
>why?
>looks at a real person
>oh eyes are not a perfect circle
>draw again

>I want to make this color
>mix shit up
>wow it looks nothing like I wanted
>mix again

Is this statement valid or it's pure bullshit?
>>
pure bullshit
>>
you need method, method, method. You can find it by yourself, but others have before you, and can teach you, thereby making learning more efficient.
>>
That's why books exist, because there was somebody that did exactly the same thing, and they wrote books to prevent other people from making the same mistakes.
>>
There's the long way round, then there's the short way round, that method is very much the former.
>>
>>2549184
written by a 5 year old, with a 7 year olds art skills.
>>
>>2549184
To become good, you don't only have to practice, you have to practice the right way.
>>
if you try to work like that you will reinvent the wheel about a million times

If you tried to draw a car and it came out looking shitty, then you used this method to try and improve - how many iterations do you think you would have to go through until you got to a system like the one described by Scott Robertson in how to draw?
>>
Bullshit as hell.

There's a reason technical skill in art has gone up proportionately with the improvement of communication and dissemination of knowledge.

Sure, you could spend your entire life working it out on your own, or you could spend a fraction of your life taking advantage of the work artists before you have already done.

Sounds like he watched that video on iterative drawing (which is an ok tactic for the grind, at least,) and took it to full retard.
>>
>>2549212
So, he's a genius?
>>
>>2549184

Someone post that "Draw this again meme!" from DeviantArt with people who draw for 10 years with OP's method.
>>
>>2549824
They don't do that at all though. If they were critical enough to think "wow, my figure looks like shit, better look at real life reference" they would almost certainly improve. The reason why these people don't improve after 10+ years of drawing is exactly for the opposite reasons. They suffer from such a strong case of dunning kruger that they don't see anything wrong with their art.
>>
Pure bullshit. Look at the history of art. We only really got better once people started fucking digging up dead bodies and shit to see how they worked.

Sure, you COULD build a house out of any old thing that seems like it should work, but if you actually want it to be anywhere near decent/safe/attractive and want to avoid 100s of disastrous blind attempts, you probably want to learn a little about construction.

Don't disregard the entirety of human history and collective learning lightly. They already invented the wheel and you'll save yourself a lot of trouble if you just use it and move on instead of getting stuck on trying to blindly invent your own from scratch.
>>
>>2549807
kek
>>
>>2549848
Making art is not building houses.

People who actively avoid trying to make mistakes are people filled with a lot of hot air and very little action. People who succeed are people who have made a lot of mistakes and failed a lot.

You're going to make plenty of shit work, use poor technique, study the wrong stuff the wrong way. Learn to accept it.

IC has more art syllabus elitist than actual artists.
>>
>>2550014

I'm not saying shit about avoiding mistakes. I'm talking about taking advantage of the fucking graverobbers of old who spent their entire lives to learn a tiny bit of the anatomy knowledge readily available today. If you want to go from cave paintings all the way through to the digital revolution in one lifetime just to say you did it on your own, be my guest, but you'll probably learn shit loads faster if you accept that civilisation has done most of the legwork for you.
>>
I was gonna ask how this is a thread and why everyone posting is a retard, bur then I noticed I accidentallt set foot into ic the greatest art forum that is making art great again one neet dropout and middle-aged manchild at a time.

I recommend mirrors and physiology books.
>>
>>2549184

This is only productive when you have the proper framework to build that knowledge upon.

Certain concepts are just not implicit to the way we think and operate. That's why you can polish a turd for hours, days, weeks on end and it will still be shit.
Though if you know where to stop working, I that think this might be good practice in trying to learn how to make better observations.
>>
>>2550909
Are you implying that you can develop an Art-Sight
>>
Holy shit just go draw
>>
>>2550914
>Are you implying that you can develop an Art-Sight

In observational drawing like landscapes and portraiture? Yes.

I think that it's something anyone can develop, but not everyone has the mindset to do so. They see drawing as a chore, or they don't see progress fast enough so they assume that they're "not talented". A healthy hunger for knowledge is what is required to make any kind of progress - from time to time I imagined that doing a study was like opening up a new boosterpack of knowledge. You'd get a lot of common cards and that was cool, but every now and again you'd stumble upon something rare. In more focused experiments with color and general composition I would imagine that I was a wizard, concocting brews and writing complex incantations and arcane rites...

I'm getting a little off topic, but if applied correctly, yes. You can develop a good sense of light and shadow through repeated bouts of observation. I remember a teacher talking to me about how painters in some parts of the world could not paint extensively in alla prima because the sun moved too fast, so they had to make better decisions in where light and shadow fell - resulting in something that looked more impressionist than anything else, but accurate all the same.
>>
>>2550962
No point in drawing if you don't have the spark
>>
>>2549184
The way I think about it, it's like math. You could theoretically discover everything by yourself, but it would be very time consuming.
Thread posts: 23
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.