[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Using 3D Models for Illustrations

This is a red board which means that it's strictly for adults (Not Safe For Work content only). If you see any illegal content, please report it.

Thread replies: 5
Thread images: 1

File: duck model.png (354KB, 900x952px) Image search: [Google]
duck model.png
354KB, 900x952px
I've seen a lot of people and many professionals using 3D Models for their illustrations.
I was wondering what are the benefits for this?
I'm guessing lighting and values would be a lot easier if you've got a model to paint on top of.

Would it be worth my time to learn 3D Modelling for my illustrations?
>>
>>2544956
It would be beneficial to learn 3D modelling, yes but the majority of illustrators and other artists use 3D models as a tool to help speed up workflow. From what I have seen and heard it's best if you can already draw and paint something without the help of something like 3D models, the model just helps you get more done in less time,
>>
>>2544956

I think the ultimate use of 3d would be to use it in a manner similar to how Gurney uses physical maquettes for light reference. Think in terms of creating reference for light, shadow and perspective etc. rather than a base to paint over. It's impossible to calculate all cast shadows in a complex scene correctly, it makes sense it can be extremely useful. Obviously you need solid fundamentals to have the most use of it.
>>
>>2544956
the artist of Gantz did it
>>
>>2544993
This.
Besides, when you use reference like maquettes or models and do studies from them, it really makes the quality of the finished product so much better. In a hands of an expert, it gives it a sense that you're looking at a living breathing world, with all the rough and small surprises that would have been lost if it were a complete work of imagination. Maybe that's why Dinotopia is still great to this day.

But I'm talking about reference not photobashing.
Thread posts: 5
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.