[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Shit Blindness

This is a red board which means that it's strictly for adults (Not Safe For Work content only). If you see any illegal content, please report it.

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 1

why it is so easy to be oblivious to the mistakes or shortfalls of our own work?
>>
>>2538539
Because if you know the exact problem you wouldn't make that mistake.

Also people can tell that their work generally looks "off" or "shit" but they may not know why. I bet you the person who did the pic you posted is well aware it looks terrible.
>>
>>2538542
>Because if you know the exact problem you wouldn't make that mistake.

Patently false, superchief.
>>
>>2538557

some people are cocky cocks that won't admit they're wrong.
>>
I admittedly have a weird problem where I can't see the big picture so great while I'm drawing and can't really judge my own work until I walk away from it for five minutes or so and then look back at it with fresh eyes.
>>
>>2538557

Okay he might be wrong that some people, even knowing what they're doing wrong, would fuck up.

But it's true that if you don't know what you're doing wrong due to lack of knowledge, you'll struggle to identify the shortfalls. It'll just "look off".

Combine lack of knowledge with a large ego and you've got people who think they're good when they're not. This is true in most things, not just art. The less data you have about something, the more confident your conclusions about it tend to end up being.
>>
>>2538606
but everyone has that picture that they were super proud of but now looks like shit. for those pictures nothing "looks off" at the beginning, explain that
>>
>>2538539
Because art is about training both your eye and your hand. When your hand surpasses your eye, everything you do looks great to you even if there are glaring problems because you can't see them. When your eye surpasses your hand, everything you do looks like total shit because you know it's wrong but can't execute the fix.
>>
>>2538539
Lol that's pretty accurate for Jennifer Aniston
>>
>>2538591
try flipping the canvas if digital or looking at your work in a mirror. Quick way to spot mistakes
>>
>>2538609
>explain that

Again, lack of knowledge. Not knowing what to look for.
With experience you develop a mental checklist. You can think things like "are my values good? Is that anatomically correct? Is the composition pleasing?" And you've got an idea of what good values, good anatomy, and good composition look like. A lot of this is relative, too, your shitty early drawing might have BETTER values than your shittier earlier drawing (I have a lot of black and white drawings where I didn't know how to push my values, but it still showed basic form so I was really pleased about it).
When you don't know about those things you can just end like like "hot damn look at how I rendered that horsecock this is the best drawing ever you can literally see the hairs on the nutsack." You complete your checklist, but your checklist is incomplete.

Besides, most amateur artists without monumental egos can be proud of a drawing and still recognize it's flawed, even if they can't pick out what they did wrong. People being proud of a work doesn't mean they think it's flawless.
>>
>>2538623
This. Learning to draw is as much a mental process as a physical one. The more you draw the more you learn to analyze shapes and space more objectively and your hand and muscles get more accurate with the practice. I know the cooking analogy gets used a lot but it really works. Someone who's never cooked anything before may follow a recipe and have their food still turn out terrible. The seemingly inherent intuition that skilled artists or chefs appear to have develops over a long period of time and trial and error and honing oneself for precision. You shouldn't expect to have it right away or feel bad about not having it because it will come if you stay the course.
>>
>>2538591
if you work digitally, make a new window of your piece zoomed out some and keep it next to your canvas so you can see the big picture changes in action while you work. i use that method for pixel art, but it sounds like it would be helpful for you.
>>
Jesus christ kill yourself
>>
>>2538623
This is the explanation for general depression. When our expectations exceed or abilities
>>
i remember being total shit tier (still am in a lot of ways) but i told myself that even if i didn't like it, other people wouldn't be able to see the mistakes, and would only see them as my style.
>>
jesus, i'm glad i got most of my shit drawing out of the way as a child, when you were expected to be shit at things.

can't imagine starting as a complete beginner while a fully-functioning adult.
>>
>>2538932

Learning as a child is easier in some ways but it's basically just brute forcing.

As an adult you don't learn through osmosis as easily and every second learning is your own effort.

But you can be smart about it and completely skip huge mistakes and dead ends by actively seeking masters and their material to correct yourself with. You can put much more time and effort into efficiently learning.

Basically don't learn like a child.
>>
>>2538932
It could be a double edged sword. I know people who start out young and since they're like 8 and they don't know about MUH LOOMIS (aka the 'right' way to learning) they get so invested in their shitty art that actually keeps getting perpetuated by people telling them they're good when in reality it's just asspats. I'm actually sort of glad I started later when I'm mature enough to acknowledge the importance of grinding fundamentals.
>>
You often see this on different forums including the art subreddits. "How can I improve this?" they ask while showing a straight on portrait of a celebrity. The answer is almost always "Look at the god damn reference!". How can they be so blind? I don't know, but I think they project the reference image and the image in their mind onto the paper regardless of what is actually on the paper. To the outside observer it looks like complete ass. The person who spent hours grinding out the turd sees what they had in their mind.
Thread posts: 20
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.