[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Questions thread.

This is a red board which means that it's strictly for adults (Not Safe For Work content only). If you see any illegal content, please report it.

Thread replies: 308
Thread images: 56

File: image.jpg (3MB, 2635x1897px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
3MB, 2635x1897px
Thread for questions that don't need their own thread.
>>
How do I make fine lines with spraypaint? I am working with some large ass vinyl posters I picked up from the mall(basically free canvases)and want to make some paintings on them. So far the process has been very tedious. I tried masking off areas and even though it works it is taking too long. My first painting already taking me four months going on since I have to work crazy 12/hr shifts. I just want to get this one done. But the problem is stalling since now I have to detail the foreground character.

Should I just get an airbrush kit to do the details? I dunno.
>>
What is a good channel/course for learning how to paint digitally? My linework has gotten very solid over the years and id like to start adding values now.
>>
>>2498158
Check the catalog before making a new thread:

>>2486001
>>
>>2498158
As a beginner, is it best to use pens or pencils?
erasable vs permanent?

I would think it's best to use pens, so you'll put more effort into not making mistakes?
>>
>>2498615
Both!! It's two very different mediums that has it's separate advantages and disadvantages that you should get familiar with and learn to master. As you said, it very useful to practice in a medium that is "unforgiving" in relation to mistakes, but it's equally important to learn how to fix your mistakes and tweak and adjust things on the spot. The mediums also requires very different techniques to achieve different effects and you should attempt to master both.
>>
>>2498165
Combine techniques. You can even just use paint and brush for fine lines, it's not "cheating" in any way.
>>
>>2498668
Yeah, I was trying that out last week after watching some guys paint on YouTube. I will try to stencil out everything today since I already made a masked layer with the drawing over it and paintbrush everything in so I am done and can move on. I just need to get a faster workflow. I'll try to ditch the masking layer in the next poster.

I still want to get a airbrush kit sometime.
>>
What are those faces with all the planes exaggerated called?
>>
How did you guys get the discipline to draw frequently ?
>>
>>2498826
'Frequently' as in everyday? Even if it's a scribble for 10 mins on a bad day or depression I just keep doing it because either I have brain problems or I know I don't have much of a choice. Choice meaning it's the 2nd only way for me to earn money besides slaving away at some shit job making $10 an hour.
>>
>>2498728
Caricatures?
>>
File: 1461178137022.jpg (132KB, 894x894px) Image search: [Google]
1461178137022.jpg
132KB, 894x894px
anyone knows how to paint eyes ala kronprinz
>>
>>2498882

find an animu picture and trace it
>>
>>2498889
i mean the watery colors inside of it not the style
>>
File: img000004.png (1MB, 1762x1200px) Image search: [Google]
img000004.png
1MB, 1762x1200px
What's the best way to learn or improve on drawing/painting detail?

There's a number of artists that I gain inspiration from that can make the most simple subjects look heavily detailed. I struggle to see how it's done.
>>
>>2498908
>simple subjects look heavily detailed
because they are heavily detailed durr, just look at her detailing it on a youtube video
she surely put time and patience on them
>>
>>2498906
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PHWO04WFPxg you can see how he does his eyes in his paint vids
>>
File: fb.jpg (123KB, 1600x1014px) Image search: [Google]
fb.jpg
123KB, 1600x1014px
tips, books, tutorials to learn to draw interiors?
>>
What do you guys think about Ctrlpaint.com?
>>
File: feels.jpg (25KB, 300x300px) Image search: [Google]
feels.jpg
25KB, 300x300px
how do deal with other being so much better than you? witnessing a marvelous piece just makes me feel shitty about my laziness and is so demotivating
>>
>>2499277
>>>/adv/
>>
>>2499145
Interiors are like 70% perspective. I'd say start off with that. Almost any book will do. Perspective will let you establish a grid to set down planes, furniture, and fixtures to a space almost intuitively.

>>2498908
Well, plan to make it detailed. Try replicating detailed work; try drawing every texture and frill to an object based on reference. You can honestly spend days just filling out details on the smallest things depending on your intent.

>>2499277
Make it a benchmark, anon. When I see people better than me I just think about how I'm going to beat them at their own game. Check out a new book, make a new study, or finish a class. Just think about the joy of getting a new toy in your drawing arsenal that only brings you closer to them.
>>
how do I design and create my own characters
Is there some artist like loomis or vilppu etc. who explains it very well?

The last character I made (on my own) was some edgelord animu faggot from middle school
>>
>>2499288
thanks man
>>
>>2499277

They've been exactly where you are, anon. All they have over you is time and effort. Being sad looking up at them like you can't do it is like a toddler looking at his dad and being sad that he'll never be that big. You'll get there.
>>
>>2498873
Nah, its the ones people use for face studies.
>>
File: 1387810156466.png (866KB, 504x693px) Image search: [Google]
1387810156466.png
866KB, 504x693px
TECH SUPPORT PLS

I own a good PC and an Intuos Pro 5, and I was thinking of buying the new iPad Pro with the 12'9 retina screen and the iPencil, is it good? At least better than a Cintiq Companion? It's cheaper for sure. It's a lot of money so I need to think about this decision.
>>
>>2500240
Get yourself a better PC.
Both Ipad and companion are gimped.
iPad runs toy OS and is intended for angry birds use, no real graphic redactor,
Companion is ofter recomended to use at decreased resolutin due to it being on par with macbook air hardware wise and ofcourse shitfuck PS performance.
>>
>>2500246

Not sure if what you're saying is true, my PC is a beast already but I don't want to spend a shitload of money on a Cintiq 27' , plus the iPad is portable and you can stream your PC on the iPad screen, and I've seen a friend using it and it's pretty fast, at least to do stuff like pic related and drawing in general, and the pencil works so good with the tilt and everything.
>>
File: 3FsER7h[1].gif (1MB, 250x324px) Image search: [Google]
3FsER7h[1].gif
1MB, 250x324px
>>2498158
How would I go about recreating something like this?
What first comes to mind is just making a flat 3d plane and putting my image on it, then overlaying the rainbow effect and animating it, but surely there is an easier way?
Is there a way I could do this using Photoshop?
>>
File: image.jpg (2MB, 4032x3024px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
2MB, 4032x3024px
I just picked this up today and found out it is really shitty for actual pose references because the anatomy(though basic) is too ambiguous. It is literally too stiff and fear it would actually hinder my drawings because it lacks contraposto. Hell, action figures from Walmart pose better.

Are there any better posing figures out there that don't act it has arthritis?
>>
>>2498165
spray cans are just valves releasing pressure, dont press dont completely, be very gentle press as light as you can while being consistent, keep repeating till you get a hang of it
>>
>>2500605
figma Archetype He (or she)
>>
>>2498158
How am I supposed to study the Loomis Figure Drawing book? Do I just copy how he draws bodies or what
>>
>>2500605
should have gotten a second opinion m8. Those models are nothing but a waste of money.
>>
>>2501368
You draw other bodies yourself and try to use the techniques shown in the book. If you fail, read and try again.
>>
>>2501372
Well, to think I would have gotten a larger one I'm glad I didn't.
>>
>>2501394
At least it will make the place even more artsy
>>
>>2499310
anyone?
>>
>>2500260
if your plan is to do random sketches then go for the iPad. if you want to make finished pieces go for the cintiq
>>
File: Screenshot_1.png (599KB, 1266x578px) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_1.png
599KB, 1266x578px
So I'm hoping to dip my toes into watercolours, but I'm not ready to go balls deep in fancy supplies if I find out it's not for me, so I want to start with a relatively cheap set that I can always replace with better materials if I like it.

I found this set - as somebody with zero knowledge of watercolours it struck me as a good deal, but are there any considerations I should make or particular brands I should look for / avoid?
>>
>>2501549
I've never heard of that brand. I've got a small cheap Winsor & Newton Cotman sketcher's pocket box for on the road, it has been a very nice little thing.
>>
Can anyone help me find the pdf for the book "basic perspective drawing" by john montague? can't find any link that works.
>>
y'all niggas got recommendations for a tablet? something that's "will do for a beginner " tier. budget is 200$. also if you guys know of anything that's lefty friendly that would be helpful.
>>
When doing a still life (either from real life or photo), what should I be looking for? I know you have to break down the objects into basic shapes and forms and then use your understanding of value to add lighting, but how does that lead to a more realistic drawing? Like adding in small details and trying to get every detail like an autist. Is the goal really to try to achieve the most "photographic" drawing? Or is it something else?
Because I find that whenever I do still life studies, I end up feeling extremely dissatisfied with my drawing because something just seems off about it and I can't help but feel like I didn't learn anything.
>>
>>2502134
I like the huion tablets. mine cost me like 70 and it's bigger than a standard spiral notebook. It's been amazing to me so far. it's the 1080 pro but they got newer and better ones now. Also you can just save up a bit more like 100 or 200 dollars more and than choose a cintiq alternative. A lot of them are really good like the ugee huion and monoprice one heard good things about the new bosto one and sycra just did a review on what that seemed boss status so you can check that review out.
>>
>>2499310
build a visual library, study clothes, weapons etc
redraw the elements you like in your favorite designs
work a lot with shapes
you're gonna start getting it in a while

>>2499796
asaro head?

>>2500443
draw you card
put it as a texture on a flat plane in 3dmax
make rainbow-y material and put light sources
animate
render
profit

>>2502138
post works and I can give you tips
could be anything
>>
>>2502138
Because your symbol drawing. You want to add details? Then fucking add them they're right there in front of you. If even this is hard for you then maybe consider another hobby. It'll take you ages to get anywhere..
>>
>>2502138
how else are you going to get better when you don't try your best and add everything? If you want to half ass something because you don't want to be "autistic", expect to not get anywhere. If there is glint on an asshole, you better fucking draw it. If you forget it or just cheap out on it, you're shit and should improve. Every good piece of art got their details down to a T even if it took a super retard look at it to get it right.

Stop being a smuck and get super retarded, you faggot.
>>
>>2502195
>>2502199
BS
you don't need details to get a painting full of life
>>
>>2501554
>>2501549
I started with that same W&N box, great little starter set, would recommend.
>>
Can someone post the picture on which are 2 picture present? It was like a meme with an animu chick above and an anatomy study under it. The text went as follows: if you want to draw this, you first need to learn this. Thanks in advance.
>>
what are videos recommended for beginners?
I have a cg peers account and I don't know what else to download besides ctrl paint and proko.

especially construction/persepctive

udemy is good for programming but I'm not sure about art. it was eh.
>>
is redbubble worth it?
>>
>>2502425
Drawing is recommended for beginners
Norling and Scott Robertson should be plenty for perspective, really
>>
Couple of questions:
1. Any books on colour theory? I'm terrible at colours.
2. I'm planning on purchasing some Prismacolors, are they a good investment?
3. How exactly do you study loomis' books? I read and do the practices but, I feel as though I'm missing something.
>>
I remember this image macro showing how to color your lineart in PS with some pink girl from space dandy. Does anyone know what I mean
>>
>>2502769
1. hue value chroma's an in depth guide to color. Check out the w/ic/i.

2. They are if you put them to good use, but this field isn't my forte so don't take my word for it.

3. Loomis isn't really a good starting point for a beginner, but he covers all of the bases with a stylized approach for maximum "fun." Only problem is that it's not exactly for everyone and not particularly in depth at that, even if the guy knows what he's talking about.

Ideally you'd want to be able to apply what his practices teach in your own way instead of reproducing what he does. If you feel like you're missing something, just try another resource instead. It can take several attempts/points of view before a certain subject can click.

It'd help if you were a little more specific about which practices and books, though.
>>
So I want to start taking most of my days drawing, practicing the fundamentals and such. The problem is, I don't know any good exercises for practicing everything. The only thing I've been doing for the past two weeks is 30 minutes of figure/gestures everyday. I don't feel like I'm learning anything from that. So what kind of exercises to should I be doing everyday to make sure I get in all of the fundamentals?
>>
So people say to see everything as differing values of light and dark when drawing, but then other people say to think about anatomy and structure. I get confused when I'm trying to draw from reference because of these two things. Is thinking of anatomy not thinking of symbols? How am I supposed to keep everything anatomically correct while thinking only of the hues. Or am I just stupid
>>
I recently finished sanding piece of wood to get it ready to paint on (I'm either going to use a stencil or free hand), but I'm not sure what kind of primer and sealer I should use.

Any thoughts?
>>
>>2502959
me too
>>
I just bought a Wacom Cintiq 13HD, what should I know? I heard that if you're not careful the cords can be fucked up, how can I save it from that?
>>
>>2503017
Don't put pressure on the cords or twist them up and you should be fine. If it's just sitting on your desk you shouldn't worry. If you're holding it in your arms and constantly switching from portrait to landscape without minding the wire you could have issues.

Granted, all I've ever heard is that the connector is weak/loose. I interpret that as it doesn't stay in place well if you're moving it around a lot.
>>
File: IMAG0023.jpg (926KB, 4096x2304px) Image search: [Google]
IMAG0023.jpg
926KB, 4096x2304px
>>2502192
Charcoal one I did a couple of weeks ago
>>
File: IMAG0025.jpg (691KB, 4096x2304px) Image search: [Google]
IMAG0025.jpg
691KB, 4096x2304px
>>2503266
Here's another
>>
>>2498165
Are you not using skinny caps?
>>
File: industrialdesign.jpg (268KB, 800x582px) Image search: [Google]
industrialdesign.jpg
268KB, 800x582px
I heard that it's better to hold the pencil at a right angle to the paper when doing industrial design sketches like pic related, how true is this?
>>
Reposting my question from the last thread as noone answered: What kind of construction methods you guys use? I mean 1/2/3 point constructions are simple and straightforward but what do you use for multi-point constructions? Just eyeball it? What if you want to work accurately, do you have a good method?
>>
>>2503380
You only get a crisp line if you hold it in your butthole
>>
>>2502959
drwa boxes andcylinders yo
>>
>>2503452
>What kind of construction methods you guys use? I mean 1/2/3 point constructions
Are you talking about perspective?
>>
>>2498158
As a beginner, I struggle with drawing the big shapes first and then smaller ones later and refining it lastly. I tend to copy something from one random place i.e. drawing a tree from the bottom up in full detail, instead of drawing the major shapes first and then refining the shapes more and more...

Is this a matter of style or is it a bad habit?
>>
>>2503693
It's neither style, nor habit. It's just a common way beginners approach drawings
>>
>>2503694
okay, but should I force myself to start drawing big then small?
>>
>>2503695
Yes, block out the shapes and refine
>>
>>2503697
ok, I'll try to get used to that.
>>
>>2503697
thanks
>>
>>2498158
What is the arts equivalent stereotype to the low skilled pajeet that does shoddy work, hired by companies because they cost less etc. in the IT industry.
>>
What do I read/learn/study/draw/etc in order to learn about values and coloring
>>
How do I get over beginners fear? I feel like I can't draw because I'm scared that I'll lose interest or passion.
I know that doubt and pain don't go away but how do I live with it? How do I just stop being a fucking pussy, pick a pencil and start drawing?
>>
>>2503815
There is no equivelent

>>2503821
Values is mostly just construction, read the sticky for the plenty of books
Coloring is just a lot of fucking around instead of reading books, read the sticky for the few good books

>>2503823
Buy a good size, around A4 or something, cheap sketchbook. Start drawing on the second page.
Each time you get to a new page, but an autistic scribble on it first so you ruined the beautiful white page
Do a maximum of 2 drawings per page. Keep at least 2 cm clear from the border of the paper
>>
>>2503845
>There is no equivelent
Why?
>>
>>2503823
Stop being a faggot, for one.
>>
>>2503852
Programming is something that a mindless drone can do, while art isn't
Even if the expected result is bad quality
>>
>>2498158
Lads i need some help

>work at a arts and crafts supply store
>talk with a co-worker about art and drawing
>she tells me she thinks shes decent and shes been drawing all her life
>to my question is she practices she answers 'no, i could just always somehow do it'
>herewego.jpg
>then tells me to check her facebook and tell her what i think about her stuff
>check it
>its fucking terrible
>like first month into art terrible
>like worse then 80% of the beginner thread terrible

Im not super good either but i do grind my fundamentals, i didnt draw all my life but im already 10 times better.
Tomorrow she expects an answer what do i tell her?
>>
>>2503878
Her art really shows that she loves the process. She did a good job on developing a style that works for her. You admire her dedication to the craft, having drawn for quite some time and having a good amount of output. Her enthusiasm for the subjects she draw were well noticeable. She certainly has more followers than you have. Has she ever considered participating in one of those contests? Some people seem to have to work hard for it, for some it seems like they're born with it. What kind of great materials did she use? What kind of technique did she use on her drawing?
>>
>>2503861
That's wrong, there is nothing in art one can't learn or study, there is no magic so to say.
>>
>>2503878
link her facebook
>>
>>2503892
you know i can't do that

Oh my god, that girl is so cringy, shes like a really deticated fangirl to a german actor. Who somehow reposted a drawing she did of him and she actually gets some praise in the comments (mostly stuff like 'well....i could not have done a better job so it must be good'. Even the actor himself said 'it captures me well'. What the fuck have i gotten myself into how can i ever talk to her again without cringing?!
>>
>>2503878
give her the Loomis
>>
>>2503888
>>2503892
>>2503900
i think ill just tell her i forgot to check it like the coward that i am
>>
File: 1452873448570.jpg (44KB, 712x528px) Image search: [Google]
1452873448570.jpg
44KB, 712x528px
How in the crucified fuck do artists make a living from their art?

I'm beginning to hate my standard job

It's starting to feel like im missing something
>>
>>2503908
Copy what those artists with the massive patreons do.
>>
File: 1461410600554.jpg (492KB, 1058x1332px) Image search: [Google]
1461410600554.jpg
492KB, 1058x1332px
Anyone have more of these kinds of things? tutorials or artists drawing like this?
>>
So im starting out.

I have a stupendous amount of difficulty drawing horizontal lines, but only horizontal, every other angle is fine.

Is this normal? Will I just get over it with enough practice and shit?
>>
>>2503953
rotate your paper negro
>>
>>2503916

Most of the artists with massive patreons have them because they filled a gap when it existed - they got on the train early with sites like Deviantart and Patreon.
Now that they're rich the market is saturated with wannabe's.

It's as retarded as trying to act like pewdiepie to become a youtube millionaire. It's trying to catch lightning in a bottle. If it was as easy as /ic/ pretends to get rich that way there'd be way fucking more of them.
>>
What should I do if I can barely do the first few pages of Fun With Pencils?
>>
>>2504017
Sounds to me like you're lacking coordination. go find a few simple objects around your house and draw the contours. It doesn't matter if they come out good or not so don't bother erasing, you're simply building a stronger relationship with your hand. Once you feel more confident go back to fun with pencils and realize how easy the first few chapters are.
>>
>>2504038
That sounds about right. Thhanks for the advice.
>>
File: pic_3_lynxsketch.jpg (94KB, 876x326px) Image search: [Google]
pic_3_lynxsketch.jpg
94KB, 876x326px
>>2503380
bumping this
>>
>>2503685
yes i want to know a good method for Perspective with multiple objects not aligned to one or two common vanishing points but each object having their own.
>>
>>2503953

That's fine, just rotate the paper and draw at whatever angles you're most comfortable with. It sounds cheap, but it's what the pros do. It's just inefficient to train yourself to draw the same damn line from infinite angles.
>>
>>2504114

whatever gives you the results you want brochachonacho
>>
Which is better, Painter or Clip Studio Paint?
>>
>>2504114
this image is pretty much exactly what ever fucking drawing of a car looks like to me.

They are all just the same drawing.
>>
What's nowadays a good art community to start out in?
I don't wanna stagnate in dA or tumblr, but don't need to hang around artstation or somesuch as a complete noob, and with /ic/'s nature you can never gauge if the other person telling you a thing actually knows the topic.
>>
File: hw5yw2gt.jpg (186KB, 563x1000px) Image search: [Google]
hw5yw2gt.jpg
186KB, 563x1000px
Is there an article or tutorial or something detailing how to draw ellipses in perspective? Or do you just draw a rectangle and draw the ellipse inside the rectangle?

Currently I'm just going a rough guessing
>>
>>2504769
lmao what a trainwreck of a sentence

meant: Currently I'm just roughly guessing
>>
>>2498158
So last night I found out that I'm better at drawing bodies when I draw them before the head. I'm having trouble actually attaching a head though.

Pls help.
>>
>>2504769
You don't even need the rectangle. Just make sure the minor axis is perpendicular to the plane the ellipse sits on. It takes some mileage to get the degree right though, so you might want to draw a fuckton of cylinders and soda cans and whatnot.
Check out Norling's Perspective Made Easy and Robertson's How to Draw on more info.
The ellipse on your bottom head looks okayish btw.
>>
>>2504885
So the head isn't part of the body, huh? Stop thinking of "body" and "head" as two different drawing tasks and you'll see progress, I promise. I've been in the same place for ages before I realized that a) the head is a fucking part of the body indeed b) drawing the head should follow the same principles as drawing the body.
>>
How do I improve my drawing hand-eye coordination?
>>
>>2505175
draw from reference a lot
>>
>>2503290
No, I guess I will start using them.
>>
File: eg.png (6KB, 300x300px) Image search: [Google]
eg.png
6KB, 300x300px
>>2505175

Generally practice lines, curves and ellipses.

Place a bunch of random dots on a page, and then try to connect a line through two dots starting and ending from just before/after each one (rather than starting with your pen already on one dot. Aim at it from a slight distance).
Pic related as an example because it's hard to put into words and I'm not sure there's any name for this exercise (obviously pic's not freehanded on my part, I'm all traditional and don't have a tablet, so it's just an example). The line going through two dots is successful, the one that just misses an example of poor aim. Helps hone visualising a line before you put it down by drawing through targets.
>>
Loomis or Drawabox?
>>
File: muscle.jpg (138KB, 816x733px) Image search: [Google]
muscle.jpg
138KB, 816x733px
What muscle is that?
>>
>>2505653

Not sure but could be a portion of the trapezius being lifted up by the scapula. Try the Proko anatomy facebook group, they are great at this kind of anatomy detective work.
>>
File: lewd.png (254KB, 721x972px) Image search: [Google]
lewd.png
254KB, 721x972px
how do I make my drawings less flat
I sort of have this problem in doing copies of photos/studies too

I tried line weight several times but it ended up looking terrible
>>
>>2505781
Painting
Crosshatching
Shadows
>>
>>2505782
>>2505781
What anon said. Doing it with lineweight alone is hard. Very hard.

If you're dead set on using lineweight alone, then you have to have a lot of small fiddly details to add to depth. Which is also hard to do right.
>>
>>2505781
To give the illusion of 3D, you have to learn how to draw the simple 3D shapes, most people take that for granted and don't really understand how the shapes work. It might require some basic perspective knowledge as well.

Also, sauce.
>>
>>2505782
>>2505790
alright thanks

>>2505797
yeah I'm going back on shapes and construction in general.
I know the basics of perspective but I guess I can go back on that too.
>sauce
I-I drew it

but if you want the character, it's oogama from yokai watch
>>
Anyone knows a resource where to find armors & knight and all that cool things ?
>>
>>2505836

Pinterest isn't bad for that, there are some good photos on flickr too.

An anon posted a download link for his knight folder not long ago, might be in the current ref thread or one of the previous ones in the last few weeks.
>>
>>2505076
ah yeah i have both books download but i only read norlings perspective book to get a basic understanding of perspective.

How come no one ever talks about "impossible" perspective? I recall only a passing mention of how it's impossible to have a perfectly flat front plane while being able to see the sides. I was doing it wrong for pages until I read about that, started drawing boxes with a birds eye view and realized what i was doing wrong with heads
>>
Is krita really noticeably faster on linux?
>>
What resolutions are the standard for canvases in digital drawing?
>>
File: 1.png (55KB, 142x182px) Image search: [Google]
1.png
55KB, 142x182px
is loomis just a meme or actually helpful for beginner artists
>>
>>2506015
I was told that you should go with Keys to Drawing first.
>>
>>2506003
Whatever your computer supports without lagging. Larger means your smallest brushes used aren't hindered by the size of a pixel on a canvas - especially for custom brushes. Generally you'll downscale whatever you made before posting online, and working at very high resolutions is good if you want to make prints down the line.

A decent rule of thumb is that if you have to zoom in beyond 100%, your canvas might be too small. Unless you're doing pixel art, you wouldn't see individual pixels for most of your workflow.

3K on the shortest end is workable. Lower than that is also workable. Sketches that won't receive a lot of polish won't need that high of a resolution. You might have to go higher than 3K if you plan on putting in a lot of detail.

>>2506015
Both. It's a decent starting point, and will at least give you a glimpse of most of the fundamentals. There are better resources out there, but most are tailored to those who aren't quite beginner.
>>
>>2506003
I usually do 5,000 pixels at 300 dpi.
>>
File: halp.jpg (554KB, 1024x1024px) Image search: [Google]
halp.jpg
554KB, 1024x1024px
So I have been trying to learn how to color/paint in Photoshop. I sort of understand the different shades and where parts would be bright and stuff. However I cannot for the life of me understand how to blend shit together. I watch this video and he is just blending shit so easily and then I try it and it looks retarded. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gDR1NR_NCxc

I downloaded his brushes (i think) and they are all blurry and I can't get the same result. Is there. Is there like an extensive blending/brush settings guide for this stuff? Like I look a pic related and it looks like a bunch of random brush strokes that blend into each other.
>>
>>2505781
>>2505797

If you haven't already, give drawabox a try. It's really helped me get my head around making things look 3d with relatively few extra details.
>>
I'm having trouble really deciding what I want to do with my art or what direction to go in. What is a good way to start to refine what direction I go in? I still have to work on fundamentals but I want to have an end goal in sight.
>>
Can drawing and rendering be practiced independently? I've held off on color studies for so long thinking I need to be gud first.
>>
File: movement.jpg (115KB, 1600x1131px) Image search: [Google]
movement.jpg
115KB, 1600x1131px
>>2505781
put your character in movement for starters

you will need to use your imagination hard to achive it
i personally close my eyes and make them move and i choose good camera placement also know as cinematography

pic related is something i did after a concentrating session
>>
File: image.jpg (573KB, 1500x1500px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
573KB, 1500x1500px
I have a question. How do I paint a picture with vintage texture like pic related?

I just got a bunch of posters from the mall and want to do some interesting shit between each poster I paint. I want them to have a vintage texture like a 70's or 80's paintings for movie posters.

Like this album cover, I want to recreate that "look". Right now my current poster is coming out too clean almost like it was done digitally, if that makes sense.

Hope I made some sense here.
>>
>>2506430
it need a layer to duplicate this noisy effect ala plastic film
probably if you google it a tuto will pop up
>>
why am i so depressed and why does nobody love me
>>
>>2506453
because you're a faggot
>>
>>2506453
i dont know but if you figure it out let me know
>>
Sinix has a brush he uses quite often in corel painter, called the acrylic dry brush.
My question is if there's any way to make something similar in Clip Studio Paint Pro?
>>
How do you deal with Color Banding?
>>
File: trapezius.jpg (42KB, 279x599px) Image search: [Google]
trapezius.jpg
42KB, 279x599px
>>2505653

My best guess it's it's a bit of an oddly shaped/flexed lower trapezius.
You can clearly see the triangle of auscultation at the lower end of her shoulder blade (the gap formed between shoulder blade, traps and lats). Just another weird dip just beyond that, on the upper end of her shoulder blade that confuses things. But I can't think of what else it might be.
>>
Does anyone have a good tutorial/video/article/something on drawing hair? I know about the more technical parts and how to get it looking realistic but no one ever talks about actually how to get about drawing it from scratch.

If it's straight hair or short male hair then that's somewhat easy but anything else and it looks too complex to simplify to larger shapes then putting in the details
>>
is it legitimate practice to trace basic figures over other drawings?

>>2507052
looking at it as only curves and waves has helped me
>>
What brush settings do you all use?

I feel like brushes are my biggest gripe with digital art. I can't get those smooth, good looking outlines, and I don't know how to get values to blend into each other.

I use Photoshop, GIMP when i'm on linux.
>>
File: 1462082880023_dithered.png (27KB, 600x800px) Image search: [Google]
1462082880023_dithered.png
27KB, 600x800px
>>2506659
Work at high color depth, dither to 8 bits per channel as the final step. And save as PNG, JPEG doesn't handle dithering well.
>>
What should I draw?
>>
>>2507448
you're mom
>>
File: 1460559911400.jpg (43KB, 500x667px) Image search: [Google]
1460559911400.jpg
43KB, 500x667px
what do you do when you draw something that you did your best on but others don't think its that great
>>
Does 'that torrent site' put up everything freeleech during the biweekly sign-ups or is this a ratioless tracker?
>>
>>2507553
Try to get better at drawing. Take their criticism and work on the things people thought looked off about the picture. Then once you have practiced those things enough, go back and draw the picture again and see if you improved.
>>
Anyone know where can I find a HD scan of Bridgman's The Human Machine?
>>
What exactly does the term 'escalation ramp' mean when used in the context of anatomy? I keep seeing it mentioned around, but Dr. Google only comes up with images of staircases.
>>
does anyone else find it almost impossible to copy their own drawings? because i cant do it for the life of me. any tips?
>>
>>2508045
If you mean copying them by drawing, become good enough that you can easily recreate what you've drawn. Other than that, like with any arts, you won't ever be able to catch the same nuances again, there will always differences.

Besides why would you want or need to copy your own drawings?
>>
File: 1461953904194.gif (936KB, 500x281px) Image search: [Google]
1461953904194.gif
936KB, 500x281px
I've found some time to do some studies and honestly if I was attempting these 2 months ago I'd have smashed them but I felt like I barely knew where to begin. In a few months I've got a whole year of army where I'd only have time for art in the occasional day off they'd give us.

How do I stop my art from deteriorating over a period of time where I can't draw at all?
>>
>>2508211
Draw every day.
Thats the only way honestly. Its like asking how to stay buff if you cant work out, not really feasible.
>>
>>2508211
Private, every moment waste opening your worthless yap could be an opportunity to draw. Give me 40 gestures. The only sound I want to hear until then is the sound of pencil scratches. Not even the breaths from your faint, fragile life force.
>>
>>2508269
How many gestures until I git gud?
>>
File: 1459060962302.jpg (47KB, 299x268px) Image search: [Google]
1459060962302.jpg
47KB, 299x268px
>>2508215
>>2508269
I might actually have to try to sneak in a sketchbook into the compound, maybe I'll hide it in my pants and tell them it's my dick
I've heard of guys getting iPhones in so a moleskine might not be impossible.
>>
>>2508300
Get that sketch wallet thing; it's a little expensive but looks pretty cool
>>
>>2508296
Thousands, probably. And then you're only good at gestures. Welcome to the real world, senpai.
>>
Is repititon the key to becoming better at "drawing with the eyes"?
>>
Is there a minimal amount of time that i should rest my hand if i'm starting to get carpal tunnel symptoms? Obviously i'll go to get it checked this week but I'm seriously afraid of being forced to drop drawing for more than a few weeks.
>>
>>2498158
How can I stop my hand from sweating and wrinkling the paper? Or at least stop the paper from wrinkling?
>>
Is there anywhere on 4chan i can get some critique for my writing? I finished my book a few weeks ago but I think I need to make a few short stories to actually get publishing agents to take me seriously. All I ever see on /ic/ is drawings
>>
What's the slipperiest brand of mechanical pencil lead? I'm using Pentel Ain Stein 0.5mm 4B and I really like how smooth it is, but I'm using the lead much faster than I anticipated. I wouldn't mind a harder (and thus longer lasting) lead if it was equally smooth. Does such a thing exist?
>>
>>2508547
Based on the topic I would say /lit/, but I know nothing about the board other than it's been compared unfavorably to /mu/.
If you're getting critique from /ic/ then I don't see how /lit/ would be any worse.
>>
>>2508750
FUCK Replied to wrong post.
This was meant for
>>2508647
>>
File: xigKokxjT.jpg (308KB, 1750x2300px) Image search: [Google]
xigKokxjT.jpg
308KB, 1750x2300px
i am literally retarded. how do you get the viewing angles of gestures correct?
>>
Does anybody have any methods for drawing the body under extreme perspective?
>>
>>2508727
Slipperiest I own is 4B 2mm (Staedtler leads are very waxy, but even the cheap Chinese crap from Hobby Lobby is surprisingly smooth) followed by 2B 0.9mm, which is technically harder but the lead maintains a more rounded point. When you get softer just using traditional pencils and a mechanical sharpener is probably your best bet, and of those Drewent Graphic pencils go down to 9B and are insanely soft.

>>2508634
Rest your hand on scrap paper or only let the knuckles of your pinky finger graze the page.

>>2508547
I don't think there's a set rule, but if there's pain, stop. Wrist injuries are a bitch and you don't want to make them worse.

>>2508481
It's necessary but certainly not the only factor.

>>2508300
You can find a pen and an excuse to have some kind of paper on you.

>>2507092
Hard round, hard flat with direction tracking (sometimes I set the angle manually) and a little stroke smoothing (necessary in GIMP for smooth curves), and soft round with high spacing. For textures I clonestamp from the texture I want or make a custom brush on the fly by sampling from a photo.

>>2506453
You can learn to change the thinking that leads to depression and you can learn to love yourself. There's no single answer for everyone, but you have the strength to change yourself.

>>2506382
Sure, you can make pure line and rough value drawings and practice rendering objects that are already drawn for you.

>>2506319
I wouldn't worry about an "end goal". Set small goals with clear steps to get there, and when you sit down to draw give yourself conditions to say "This was successful practice".

>>2506276
Ctrl+Paint is a great, free resource for this.

>>2505645
Yes.

>>2504572
If you can't answer that for yourself then they're both equally fine.

>>2503823
Focus on the improvement process. A shit drawing tells you what you need to improve; it gets you one step closer. Set goals you can achieve with steps you know how to take.
>>
>>2509084
>Ctrl+Paint

Thanks a bunch.
>>
>>2509084
>Staedtler leads are very waxy

Thanks
>>
File: globophobia.jpg (707KB, 1024x768px) Image search: [Google]
globophobia.jpg
707KB, 1024x768px
>>2509209
I just reread my answer, to specify; I only use their 2mm leads. Not sure if their 0.5mm ones are as waxy. I use Pentel Ain Stein 0.9mm 2B lead which I use with an overhand grip and really go at the page and it almost never breaks. I didn't find the Stein lead to be any smoother than their normal lead. I use normal Pentel Super Hi-Polymer in all the rest and Prismacolor Ebonys because I can buy those at brick and mortar stores cheaply. Trying to branch out to charcoal pencils, but damn are they scratchy.
>>
Is the 'New drawing on the right side of the brain' as good or better then the original one as mentioned in the beginners sticky? should I look for the original PDF or just use the PDF for the new one I found.
>>
File: image.jpg (260KB, 800x800px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
260KB, 800x800px
Can someone recommend a small travel watercolor set? I've been thinking of the sakura koi but in not sure.
>>
I think that I remember that a kind anon posted all uncut Yoshikazu Hamada streams.

I am not sure if it was a dream so can anyone confirm it for me?
>>
>>2509302
That book is a waste of time. Anyone says otherwise, say what you learned.
>>
File: 1462184064555.png (376KB, 940x720px) Image search: [Google]
1462184064555.png
376KB, 940x720px
Isn't drawing from anime fine as a contour drawing exercise since they are essentially contour drawings?
>>
>>2509584
If the artist is actually good and you still work on fundamentals, sure
>>
How do I study from videos, which are often just demonstrations like on NMA? It's quite unstructured and there are no assignments, so I feel lost to what I should be doing.

Any advice?
>>
>>2509662
A good rule of thumb with studying from videos is trying to put down whatever the instructor is putting down. For instance I'm watching the Rey Bustos anatomy videos right now and copying everything he puts on the blackboard.
>>
>>2509665
thanks!
>>
>>2498882
sakimi's method with stronger shadow edges as far as i can tell
>>
ic where do you buy your art supplies online when you live in europe?
>>
>>2509730
Where do you live?
Almost every country has something like local Amazon.
>>
File: 21555474359_859b0e0be0_k.jpg (1MB, 1706x2048px) Image search: [Google]
21555474359_859b0e0be0_k.jpg
1MB, 1706x2048px
>>2498158

Looking into trying acrylic and oil painting mediums. Any good guides on basic technique / using these types of paints?
>>
Stuck in really bad art block, can't draw without getting really frustrated. What do I do?

Want to start some stylization, already have some ideas. Not sure how to actually practice it. How do I practice stylization?
>>
>>2500260
>I don't want to spend a shitload of money on a Cintiq 27'
An ipad pro runs $600-$800, depending on the size you get. The pencil is another $100.

You could get a cintiq 13HD for $800, and the screen is the same size as the larger ipad pro.

Unless you're 100% certain that streaming your pc to the ipad is a lag free, good drawing experience, and that pressure sensitivity and all that jazz works, I'd go with the cintiq.
>>
>>2500605
Those are moreso a vague lighting and foreshortening reference than a pose reference.
>>
>>2508848
>viewing angles of gestures
What do you mean by that?
>>
I don't really know how to express this and I don't consider myself a 'artist', per say, as most of my drawings fucking suck, but...

Is there a way to NOT suck? We're talking about some 10 years old kids drawing better shit than mine's. I mean, is there a "right" way to learn to do something decent?
>>
>>2510043
Many "right" ways, some are just more optimal than others and some vary with the person learning. Aside from following well recommended advice, I wouldn't worry too much about the "right" way of doing things. Practically every proficient artist out there can look back on their learning years and point to things that weren't helpful in hindsight.

As a vague rule of thumb, focus on improving your weaknesses, and practice your fundamentals with preference to the most basal skill (ex: your colors and values are weak, focus on getting values better first; if painting and drawing are both weak, focus on drawing first). Just keep practicing, develop a drawing habit, and have a critical eye.
>>
>>2510036
that post was about seeing stick figures in perspective. drawing shorter lines has helped a bit. still frustrating when it can take me over 2 minutes to get a pose down and end up looking like shit half of the time
>>
Has anyone here mindfully copied their favorite artist's work, before learning the fundamentals ?

Did copying help you draw at least 80% like him/her ?
>>
File: 5_days_of_improvement.png (497KB, 741x843px) Image search: [Google]
5_days_of_improvement.png
497KB, 741x843px
>>2509370
Winsor and Newton Cotman pocket set seems to be a popular choice, although I haven't tried it.

>>2509302
The new one introduces tools like viewfinders which I doubt would be helpful. >>2509464 I did most of the exercises in the 2nd edition while taking a class that followed the basic progression of the book's exercises (8 sessions of instruction, life drawing, and homework assignments at a local museum). She spends a lot of time trying to sell her pseudoscience that you can skip over, but the exercises themselves are fine.

>>2509584
Anime is very simplified and flat; someone already took an object and mapped the contours and planes into 2d for you, which I think takes away a lot of the benefit.

>>2510026
>can't draw without getting really frustrated.
>How do I practice stylization?
I'd say work on learning to have fun first. I don't know how many times I've posted this, but again; learn to enjoy the improvement/learning/drawing process. A drawing might be a shitty representation of what you want to show, but it shows you what you need to improve on and gets you one step closer to better drawings. You have to keep taking those steps and not cringing every time. Set goals you can achieve and figure out what steps you have to take. Give yourself conditions to say "this was successful practice".

>>2510043
To go along with >>2510057 learning basic observational drawing is great way to boost your confidence and give you some momentum. Pic related is from "Drawing on the Right Side of the Brain" and shows 5 days of improvement. See my response to the above two posters. Read the sticky and start drawing.
>>
I know its a common question but I want to start doing comission work. What is the best way to draw people in and get them to commission. Other than git gud
>>
>>2510076
How do I learn to have fun doing studies? I can't really do anything considered fun.
>>
>>2510081
Porn.
>>
>>2510073
Assuming that was the case, you'd expect people who copy photos to be able to draw 80% like a photo on their own. Instead what you see is a substantial decrease in skill when no reference is present.

Without fundamentals, you cannot invent anything believable. If you only copied you might be able to rehash pretty much the same thing you copied, but you wouldn't really be able to apply it to new situations.

For example, if you copied how your favorite artist draws a head from the front, you might be able to regurgitate that same view. Without fundamentals, you wouldn't be able to extrapolate that into a 3/4 view or a side view. Instead you'd be reliant on copying how that artist draws those views. This is essentially advanced symbol drawing.
>>
>>2510072
Still don't quite follow. Care to post an example of what you're doing?

If you suspect you're having a perspective issue, then study perspective. If you need practice drawing gestures where limbs are coming forward or receding, you're best off practicing that from life rather than flat photos.

Second, there's nothing wrong with taking over two minutes for a pose if it's needed, especially if you don't have a ton of experience. Vilppu can draw great looking gestures that indicate form in space in 30 seconds, but he's been drawing his whole life. You shouldn't expect comparable results in the same amount of drawing time as a master.
>>
>>2510114
"Studies" is pretty vague. Studying what? Why can't it be fun?

You can enjoy something without it being "fun" too. A few anons said they found this useful last time I linked to it: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flow_%28psychology%29 Achieving a state of flow, being in the zone, or whatever you call it isn't necessarily a state of excitement and pleasure. You can approach many tasks in a way that you'll be so engrossed in them that you get into the zone, loose track of time, and really feel like you're doing solid work. It's a really personal thing and I can't just tell you what to do, but I think most people have had experiences like this and can apply that mindset to learning.

Being mindful of your thoughts and where they tend to lead you also helps to change your approach to things so they don't discourage you. Mindfulness is a big topic, but I'd encourage looking into it.
>>
>>2510117
but where? I've heard furfanity but are there any other sites?
>>
Anyone got a guide or picture for drawing the face at the side I'm having the hardest time drawing the eyes and the outline of the face and keep redrawing it because it seems either too small or too big
>>
Will getting a Cintiq to practice with be a dumb idea? Are 13" Cintiqs too small?
>>
File: XFQ84mQ.jpg (68KB, 554x812px) Image search: [Google]
XFQ84mQ.jpg
68KB, 554x812px
Why is teal line guy referred as "dolphin boy"?
Is there a story that i dont know?
>>
>>2510184
Loomis "how to draw the head and hands"
>>
>>2510245

I think it's way too small to be practical. You can't hold it like a sketchbook since it has a huge stiff cable attached to the side. A drawing surface that size is only useful if it's light and portabld. Imagine setting up a drawing board that only have room for a A4 sheet. Pretty ridiculous huh? I have one and I disconnected the hdmi cable after awhile, I prefer just using it as a regular tablet and I use my keyboard for all shortcuts.
>>
is it normal for progress to slow down after you get past the full retard beginner period?
>>
>>2510444
Yup
>>
>>2510444
-_- life is pain
>>
>>2510245
I have a 13hd and like the size. Zooming in and out as needed is your friend.

Are you comfortable drawing in a 5.5"x8" sketchbook, or do you find that crammed? If you tend to naturally draw on the smaller side, then a 13" tablet will probably be fine. If you're used to and most comfortable drawing on larger sheets, then the 13" will feel too small
>>
>>2498158
does anyone know a program where you can set up your own basic shape still lives with custom lighting, etc?
>>
File: stuuf1.jpg (17KB, 672x448px) Image search: [Google]
stuuf1.jpg
17KB, 672x448px
Is there a specific name for this tripod stand thing you can attach to digital cameras and record from an overhead angle?
>>
does anyone know a good site where i can sell prints, stickers and buttons, hoodies etc.?
>>
>>2510460
any 3d software with a decent raytracer will do it.
>>
>>2507907
Anyone?
>>
>>2498158
How do i inspire myself to continue drawing? I have this situation when i draw something i either compare it with other drawings or become disgusted by it, then i drop drawing for some time. After couple weeks or months i do the same cycle but i dont do any progress.
>>
File: 10489015.jpg (69KB, 656x740px) Image search: [Google]
10489015.jpg
69KB, 656x740px
What would you guys recommend for someone who never finishes drawings?
I start a whole bunch, usually can just doodle out a lot of linework-esque stuff. But after flats, by then, usually I'm bored with the piece, scrap it and move on to something else.

This might be in part to the fact that I draw autisticly slow. Any suggestions?

Picture's not mine/unrelated.
>>
>>2510325
>>2510448
Sounds like I'd prefer the 22. Most recommended alternative brand? Should I just stick with Wacom to be safe? Maybe the money investment will promote the time investment?
>>
What is form? Is it just a buzzword that's tossed around?
>>
Why do the cintiq 21 UX go for so cheap these days? Is it a driver issue or something?
>>
what'll the assignments for my photoshop class be like? anybody take a photoshop/illustrator class before? what should I know?

I mostly use sai for my work
>>
>>2503927
http://tubbsgalleryofdrawings.blogspot.com/
https://www.pinterest.com/source/francisvallejoinspiration.blogspot.ca/
http://l-oo.tumblr.com/

Not entirely sure if these are what you're looking for, but maybe some'll help.
>>
File: 5min sketch.png (394KB, 1440x1047px) Image search: [Google]
5min sketch.png
394KB, 1440x1047px
>>2498158
been tryin' to illustrate things like Gustave Dore but with using pen and ink. How do i go about this?
>sketch pic related
>>
>>2511217
Is it a class teaching you Photoshop, or teaching you drawing?
If it's for teaching you Photoshop, I doubt you'll be learning anything about how to draw. Probably just stuff like navigating the menus and what the different buttons do. You'll probably be editing photos and stuff, if you're learning Photoshop.
>>
Do I really just copy pictures of models off of google forever and eventually become an artist?
>>
>>2511225
use shell poses then eventually put the details in
>>
>>2511224
yeah it's not really about drawing, it's an online course part of a 3D animation program I'll be doing in june

I was kinda hoping it'd be something more creative like designing logos maybe, that sort of thing

thanks though man
>>
>>2511228
What are those? I'm also working on heads and faces right now.
>>
>>2511235
those pose dummies
>>
>>2498158
Right now I'm going through the Keys to Drawing book. I'm at the part where Dodson is teaching how to draw portraits. Should I skip this part and read Loomis head and hands instead? I always hear that Loomis method is the best way to construct the head and for the most part I've had the most success using that. Cheers thanks
>>
I heard there is some expanded updated version of the guide in the sticky, but I can't find it in the sticky. Where is it?
>>
>>2511251
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1VfDTpLLVl5bWUGWguswKpPFml533luI8-NBd1EGYHnA/edit?pref=2&pli=1#
>>
Why do I keep drawing even though it makes me want to kill myself? everyone will always be better than me, and art hardly ever helps me calm down, so how come when I pick up the pencil I keep drawing anyway
>>
>>2507929
ive only ever heard nosebro say it
>>
Others keep saying that I need to work on basic shapes. Do I just fill a whole page with cubes, ellipses, and cones?
>>
>>2511772
Because you want to be better. You have a spark that you just haven't noticed yet.
>>
Is there any benefit to using a reference with the intention of copying it exactly? Or should you always stick to using a reference only when you get stuck/don't know what something looks like?

I'm trying to learn to draw from memory.
>>
File: lines.jpg (119KB, 1063x700px) Image search: [Google]
lines.jpg
119KB, 1063x700px
I've got a problem with the lines of my tablet on Photoshop on the computers of my scho. When I begin them it gives a kind of straight lines, and If I draw too much in a row they simply doesn't appear. I don't have this problem at my home computer.
>>
How does anyone draw tiny textures like rope?
>>
>>2512685
Probably too weak or drivers are fucked.
>>
>>2512864
> too weak

Eh?
>>
I'm a photoshop user who is going to attempt inking a commission in Manga Studio. What brushes are good for the outline with little line thickness variation style?
>>
>>2512864

It's generally agreed that you should hold off buying a tablet before you can bench 200. Using a wacom stylus effectively requires a certain muscle tone
>>
File: screenshot.png (377KB, 831x569px) Image search: [Google]
screenshot.png
377KB, 831x569px
Pic related is Vilppu, right?
>>
>>2512925
i don't think so.
>>
>>2512925

No, I recognize those poses from the Proko videos so it's apparently someone who studies his stuff. Proko has studied under Vilppu so in a sense there is a connection there but whoever made the sketch is nowhere near his level.
>>
>>2512951
Interesting, good to know. So technically, if I study Vilppu as well I can produce similiar results, right? Or should I study Proko instead?
>>
>>2512959

Both. Proko is probably more accessible for someone to start with, his teaching material is better produced and streamlined. He doesn't quite have the same virtuoso skill as Vilppu has, but he's young. Also Proko has a lot of his stuff for free on youtube if you don't want to be a pirate. I would recommend reading Vilppu's drawing manual though especially the first pages, he really explains the purpose behind his exercises. All in all their methods are very similar.
>>
>>2512966
Thank you anon, I'll do it. Have a good weekend!
>>
File: banding.png (56KB, 1471x966px) Image search: [Google]
banding.png
56KB, 1471x966px
Can you guys see the banding?
>>
>>2513140
Yup, a little bit.
>>
should i buy photoshop when i already have clip studio and corel?
>>
>>2513140

yes, it's pretty clear for me but then again my laptop's gamma is fucked
>>
File: z8grtdmdjzokcvkcr3xt.jpg (289KB, 1791x1920px) Image search: [Google]
z8grtdmdjzokcvkcr3xt.jpg
289KB, 1791x1920px
How do you "polish" something?

Pic semi related, I can't seem to figure out what polishing exactly means.
Is is just adding little details or is it more about adding complex lighting to make your work more realistic?
Whenever I try to do something like pic related I fuck up because it isn't as polished as it.
>>
>>2513208
Good rendering + solid foundation of light and form.
>>
>>2513140

looks like the rings of Jupiter or something
>>
>>2513208
Do you think that's something kind of an artistic term with a specific meaning or what? It just means finishing what you started. Idiot. You add whatever is missing from a piece that isn't finished.
>>
>>2513208

It pretty much just means 'finish something'. It's cleaning up a drawing so it looks done. Adding bells and whistles is part of it, but including more details/complexity isn't necessarily polishing. The way I see it, polishing is just making it look clean and complete and consistent, without obvious mistakes/overt signs of the previous steps (like if you can still see bits of the underdrawing showing through or you didn't finish rendering a part of it).
>>
Is there a way to use lazy nezumi pro without buying it and having the 30 days out?
>>
>>2510444

Just like fucking RPGs. Fly through the first few levels on pennies, then suddenly you're raking in 1000s of exp every kill and somehow it doesn't mean shit.
>>
>>2511164

Fuck no. Form is the sense of depth in a work. There are shapes (squares, circles etc) then there are forms (cubes, spheres etc).
>>
>>2512968
>>2512966
>>2512959

FYI, you can access a load of Vilppu stuff fairly cheap on New Master's Academy if buying his stuff outright is too expensive.
>>
>>2513764

"Shape" is usually referring to the 2d shapes and the design of such.
>>
>>2513763
kek
>>
>>2513208
do you think pic related is "polished"? its filled with chicken scratches
>>
File: sailor_pose_54_by_senshistock.jpg (152KB, 588x1359px) Image search: [Google]
sailor_pose_54_by_senshistock.jpg
152KB, 588x1359px
Are these lats or what muscle?
>>
>>2513812

Yes, that's a good bet. There are many muscles in that area though. Google armpit muscles
>>
File: 1458758442321.jpg (136KB, 876x1280px) Image search: [Google]
1458758442321.jpg
136KB, 876x1280px
>>2498158
This is going to be retarded but bear with me

I have never been a really dedicated drawer, (where I do it every day or even every week) but I often find myself in the mood for drawing, as a form of "therapy". i usually spend hours on end drawing at these times, coming back to the same drawing until i feel that it is "finished". I very much enjoy the human form and I watch a lot of JAV as inspiration and shit.

I've been thinking about it a bit and find that I just don't have the time or the drive to draw sometimes. And I believe that with age (19 now) I will begin to dedicate myself more to drawing (in my 60s/nearing death.) So my question is:

How much deterioration occurs in your motor skills when you age, and are there any examples of artists/drawers whose style/ability has changed as they age, due to deterioration?

(also what is the technical term for "drawers"/ones who use only pencil)
>>
File: 1421726572926.jpg (664KB, 1500x1001px) Image search: [Google]
1421726572926.jpg
664KB, 1500x1001px
>>2513140
Is there anyone who CAN'T see the banding?
>>
>>2513819

..no there aren't? Or are you talking about the teres major/minor etc fuckery? Those are always hard to remember to me
>>
What pens would you guys recommend? I'm putting together a cart on blick and need some suggestions.
>>
>>2513140
No actually, is that a good thing?
>>
If I learn pencil shading, will it that knowledge stay if I switch to digital, I mean is there any point for me to learn pencil shading if I'm going digital eventually?
>>
>>2514077
Just turn your brightness up
>>
>>2514089
Yeah I'm retarded looking better I can see it now, but it's very subtle
That mean my pc is fucked in some way? I am at max brightness
>>
File: consider the following.png (445KB, 807x700px) Image search: [Google]
consider the following.png
445KB, 807x700px
Shouldn't the actual learning order be:
1- Line control (draw straight lines, circles, elipses, etc)
2- Perspective drawing
3- Rendering
And only then,
4- figure drawing

Shouldn't it? I feel like it's useless (or at least less effective) to learn figure drawing before having studied perspective and rendering deeply.
>>
>>2514043
Lamy Safari, meme pen of /g/. And get the converter and some Noodler's Bulletproof Black ink (their best general purpose black, no bleedthrough or feathering even on bad paper). Lamy ink is not as good.

For blue ink, Baystate Blue is best because of the beautiful saturated color. But it's not lightfast and doesn't have the exceptional anti-feathering of Bulletproof Black. It is harmful to some old pens but it won't harm modern Lamy Safaris.
>>
>>2514132
I am going to get through the groupthink of /ic/ on this one just once, and hopefully save you.

Get out of this poisonous forum and draw what you WANT to draw. Have fun. If it isn't good enough, you know where to focus your studies. There is no order except for what you need to learn to draw what you want to draw.
>>
What's actually wrong about practicing basic drawing on a Cintiq?
>>
File: puni.png (11KB, 320x240px) Image search: [Google]
puni.png
11KB, 320x240px
Are the people who are ok/decent or popular artists have good polishing (coloring, lineart) skills along with being good at different angles?
is that what I need?

I've been drawing for 3 years +. When I draw a body out of reference, I feel like I've drawn every volume/structure I can.
I can't tell if it's the polishing I need or the drawing that needs work.
>>
What are some good places to advertise commissions? I've posted on twitter and tumblr, but I only have about 1k followers on tumblr and far less on twitter. I'm desperate enough to maybe go to furaffinity (I don't usually draw furry stuff but I'm ok at it) if that place is enough of a goldmine for non-porn stuff.
>>
>>2514207
Nothing.

That said, I'd never recommend a cintiq or digital art to an absolute beginner. It's a complex medium compared to paper and pencil between learning software, getting drivers to cooperate, navigating around parallax, potential for relying on digital-only crutches, etc. Plus there's the high upfront cost of going digital. It'd be silly to push for that on someone who might not even stick with drawing. Besides that, the skills learned traditionally translate fairly well to digital media after some time for adapting.

If you already have basic drawing coordination then there's nothing inherently wrong with continuing your practice digitally. If you can't draw a straight line or a decent circle in pencil, then you're going to have more issues digitally. A simpler medium is arguably best for developing base coordination.
>>
>>2514132
You can learn to draw the figure before you learn to render. You won't be able to render a figure before you can render basic forms.

These types of lists are intended to be a theoretically sound order to learn skills in, as in learning one skill relies on the skills earlier on as a prerequisite to handling it well. In reality you should stick with whatever keeps you drawing, while not neglecting your fundamentals. Just recognize that issues you may encounter likely stems from weak fundamentals, and that tackling those will get you the most gains.
>>
>>2514212
>I can't tell if it's the polishing I need or the drawing that needs work.
Flip the image and zoom out. Drawing issues will still stand out, while rendering issues probably won't be seen.

If you're unsure, you might want to post your work. But I can tell you that seldom is rendering and polish the only issue. You can usually find issues with drawing, value, composition, color, etc.
>>
>>2514252
To be more specific, I've had a small Wacom Bamboo for years, but continue to draw at a sub-par level, similarly on paper. In the end, I want to be able to save my drawings and paint over them with software without needing a scanner. I'm hoping that having a display screen tablet and eliminating the hand-eye disconnect would let me improve faster while making what I'm wanting to make in the end.

Since you mention lines, what exercise would be best for that? I've caught the free 15 minute portion of Peter Han's dynamic drawing class, but is that what I should be doing for a week/weeks before I go back to drawing what I want to draw at a higher quality?
>>
File: 1454730234511.jpg (1003KB, 4500x4334px) Image search: [Google]
1454730234511.jpg
1003KB, 4500x4334px
Going to do Frazetta's 24 hour Bridgeman challenge tomorrow, already nervous as fuck, is just a mechanical pencil and a rubber okay?
>>
>>2514307
>but continue to draw at a sub-par level, similarly on paper.
A cintiq won't fix that, plus they're expensive. If money's no object and you know you'll stick with drawing, then have at it. Otherwise I'd focus on getting traditional drawing skills up to par, or perhaps invest in an intuos (pro) that's similar in size to your monitor.

There's the Peter Han exercises, but you'll get the most benefit doing them exactly as he does them (same tool, same grip). You could also draw random dots on the page some distance apart, then try to connect them with straight lines. You can practice ghosting over your lines, rehearsing them in the air, before placing your tool down to make the line.

A lot of mark control comes with mileage. You don't need to exclusively do line exercises - the act of drawing and trying to maintain good lines is technically all the practice you need. Doing a some line exercises daily as part of your warm up can speed up the process a bit.

I also wouldn't worry about being able to paint your drawings more efficiently if you believe your drawing ability is sub-par. You'll get the most bang out of your buck focusing on drawing with the bulk of that time. I'd only attempt to paint the drawings that stand up well on their own.

At the end of the day everyone's different, and different routines and practices will get them to draw more. Do whatever you feel makes you draw more. If you believe you'll draw more if you own a cintiq, and you can easily afford it, then knock yourself out. Know that it in and of itself won't fix your drawing quality.
>>
>>2514308
Why not just space it out over the course of a week? Cramming doesn't help retain information long term.
>>
File: jalksjlk;f.png (95KB, 462x841px) Image search: [Google]
jalksjlk;f.png
95KB, 462x841px
>>2514258
I've been procrastinating on my studies alot and have been drawing animu
that might be the issue
>>
Anyone know if this is an alright Cintiq 22HD alternative? It seems far too cheap to be true and has dumb alternate packages that include a mechanical gaming keyboard but I want to believe this is a good buy.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00NL4P3Y0?psc=1
>>
File: tumblr_inline_nc82y11kgb1s5v8o2.png (105KB, 282x264px) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_inline_nc82y11kgb1s5v8o2.png
105KB, 282x264px
>>2514348

If you have an Intuos Pro just buy an iPad Pro big screen and iPencil and you're perfect, it's cheaper and you can draw much better and then import the file to Photoshop.
>>
>>2514358
Is this what you use? Have you used a Cintiq or other specialized screen tablets? Why do a lot of people dismiss the iPad Pro+Pencil combination?
>>
>>2514364

I've used a 22 and a 13 cintiq and there is a huge separation between the tip of the pencil and the drawing itself, that's why Dave Rapoza didn't like it, but the ipad has almost 0 separation and it feels better for drawing, is portable, thin af and the battery lasts for 12 hours or more while the cintiq companion only 3 hours, I don't like apple but this one is worth it for digital artists, also buy the Procreate app to draw
>>
File: IMG_20160508_000135.jpg (224KB, 1024x878px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20160508_000135.jpg
224KB, 1024x878px
Serious question(s): A friend of mine is pretty popular for some reason, and although she claims she wants critique, she doesn't ask or accept any. All her work is basically like this, mostly unfinished. So my questions:
1) Why is she so popular (and more than me which, to be honest, makes me salty)
2) How and what can I tell her she should change/improve on?
>>
File: 142916978347.jpg (967KB, 2003x1416px) Image search: [Google]
142916978347.jpg
967KB, 2003x1416px
>>2498158
How do I stop being a lazy piece of shit?
>>
I've been doing Keys to Drawing for a bit. I'm just having trouble with one thing. Should I be doing the projects over and over again? It just feels kind of odd to just draw an object and never look back at it.
>>
>>2514083
anyone?
>>
>>2515205
Thread is ded
>>
>>2514845
draw with other people
Thread posts: 308
Thread images: 56

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.