[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

pen grip thread

This is a red board which means that it's strictly for adults (Not Safe For Work content only). If you see any illegal content, please report it.

Thread replies: 26
Thread images: 5

File: pen grape.png (2MB, 1252x800px) Image search: [Google]
pen grape.png
2MB, 1252x800px
should you force yourself into using a tripod grip?

pic related: left is my natural pen grip, i can get a lot of motion with my fingers and wrist combined, and also use my arm, but i'm not sure if it could cause me damage in the future. right is a tripod grip.

also post how you hold your pen / pencil
>>
who here /wattsstylemasterrace/ ?
>>
>>2488619
It always makes me KEK when I see the retarded grips of some of the posters here, were you not taught how to hold a fucking pencil?

>>2488628
>wattsstyle

it's called an overhand grip you faggot. But yeah it's good to draw from the shoulder, gives you more control.
>>
File: 5ea.gif (204KB, 180x218px) Image search: [Google]
5ea.gif
204KB, 180x218px
>>2488643
i was forced to draw right handed as a kid when we were learning that shit in school, so once that time passed i switched back to my left hand without noticing i was doing anything wrong
>>
>>2488658

Ah that makes sense, they tried to teach you to use the right hand like a good Christian but you disobeyed your God and used your left like the heathen that you are, it is too late for you to repent, keep your current pencil grip so that everyone will know you are in league with the devil, you are already irreparably damaged.
>>
>>2488619
How often do you hear "drawing needs work, but look at that wonderful grip!"
Care about what the pencil is doing, not how it's being held.
>>
>>2488685
true but i also hear stories like "i damaged my wrist, had to take 6 months off and can only draw for a few hours a day before it starts to hurt"
>>
>>2488619
I did this too. I've seen a lot of left handers with this claw grip, I think it happens when you grow up sitting next to right handed people in school bumping elbows all the time. I still switch back to that grip sometimes when I'm writing but it's useless for drawing, you get so much more movement with a tripod grip. Just force yourself to use it.
>>
>>2488685
It makes a big difference
>>
>>2488704
damn that makes a lot of sense actually. i'm pretty comfortable drawing with it, making pretty decent lines, but i'm more concerned with any long term damage it could cause
>>
Who cares, draw how you feel comfortable, or how the situation demands. You're not gonna draw from the elbow or arm in a small sketchbook, and there's no way you're gonna use your wrist when doing life drawing on big paper
>>
>>2488619

I draw with my pinky, my thumb is relaxed and my middle finger rest where your index finger sits. U MAD SUGAR?
>>
File: image.jpg (36KB, 600x450px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
36KB, 600x450px
Does anyone have a picture of that one comic artist who has a really weird grip? I want to see how that one feels seeing as my over handed grip is starting to feel a bit stiff.
>>
File: image.jpg (63KB, 479x640px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
63KB, 479x640px
>>2489898
Nevermind, found him.
>>
File: en_4a13f2en.jpg (30KB, 600x331px) Image search: [Google]
en_4a13f2en.jpg
30KB, 600x331px
how do you hold your pencil, /ic/?
>I
>>
>>2489952
A: Fighting muscle groups
B: Feels akward
C: Not getting any line stability
D: It's a brush grip, but too weird.
E:Kind of unstable, but gives good versatility
F: I can see why someone would use this if they have flexible hands
G: Tripod, but not the most comfortable so far.
H: Pretty much the same
I: Most comfortable, most versatile
J: Just a glorified G
>>
>>2489985
C is not correctly using the overhand grip. I believe Watts demonstrates it well in his videos
>>
>>2488619
I also used to grip like left pic. I was never taught how to hold a pen. I thought it was normal for it to hurt your hand. Then I found out it was not, so I bought a Lamy Safari fountain pen which forces you to use tripod grip. It is much more comfortable so I recommend buying one, or if it is too expensive get a Pilot Plumix, or if that is still too expensive get a Hero 359.
>>
>>2489898
I draw with my pencil between those fingers sometimes, but like extended out normally instead of in a weird death claw like that. Pretty sure John Howe does too, he has an odd grip.

It feels a bit weird at first but it's just like my writing grip just another finger along, so it resets my mind a bit so I know I'm not writing and I use my arm more and get better big shapes.
>>
>>2489952
I've been drawing for a long time how I write, with the pen on the middle finger rested, but lately I started feeling a pain on the back of my hand, and using the G cured that somehow, also now my hand does't hurt from drawing on a tablet after 5 min of use

but now is more hard to write or do details, and, I assume because I changed the muscles I am using, now I am starting to feel carpel tunnel syndromes
>>
Don't you adjust your grip depending on the mark you're making?
>>
>>2488619
I was left pic until my tablet pen forced me to go right pic, similar to >>2489992
Honestly do what he says, You'll find that over time it's smooth and easier.

Also, draw writing with it aswell, break old habits.
>>
>>2489952
I.
dont see the issue with it.
>>
>>2492093
This.
And I don't think one grip is better than another, as long as it's comfortable and works for the user.
>>
>>2488685
Grip can make a huge difference. Sure, everyone will hold a pencil slightly differently even when doing a tripod, but in general you want something looser that doesn't rely on wrist and finger movement so much. Your art will benefit and your joints will thank you later.
>>
>>2488619
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GIl_BNIJcFg

YOU NEED TO BREAK YOUR CONDITIONING
Thread posts: 26
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.