[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Artbook

This is a red board which means that it's strictly for adults (Not Safe For Work content only). If you see any illegal content, please report it.

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 2

File: ALLAPRIMAII.jpg (328KB, 1028x899px) Image search: [Google]
ALLAPRIMAII.jpg
328KB, 1028x899px
anyone have scans of this book? sorry, couldnt find artbook thread
>>
I'm also interested
>>
That shit don't exist.
>>
>>2474960
I have a book thou i don't have a scanner. Alla Prima №1 basically same shit, thou there are some adjustments to text and more paintings he shares. Back then I read fist edition in pdf on my laptop and get a real book some time after (when I got a job) as a present for my sister (aeeeehh and for myself actually).
>>
>>2474960
I have it photocopied because it was out of print when I got it.

It's a nice book specifically if you're an OIL painter who works PLEIN AIR.

I'm going to summarize what he talks about and write down some interesting bits (most of these I had underlined). Not necessarily ad litteram:

> Talent [...] just assume that you do [have it] and forget about it

> Self-doubt it utterly cripping to painters.

> Stick to the simplest solutions [when painting] [...] What you paint is more important than how you paint it

> Appropriate edges are key
He does stress a TON on edges in the book. He's a very impressionistic painter (a-la Sargent), his paintings are very loose and simple, with detail only in the focused areas like the face.

> Slow down.

> If there's something wrong with your painting, it's one of these four things: COLOR, VALUE, DRAWING or EDGES.

> Stressing on importance of color temperature (you can read about this in Color and Light).

> Paint with the largest brush you can choose for the task

> Don't work on photos taken by others

> His oil painting process (turp washes, then drawing etc.)

> Establish the general tones then paint details into 'em (rather than drawing e.g. facial features before toning the skin

> More oil technique

> Block-in vs. Grisaille

> Drawing is measuring / see things as patches of color
I don't know if he works sight-size but he doesn't seem to work with a constructive method.

> simple shapes etc. etc.

> break down curves in different planes

> use a very obvious element such as a straight line, a triangle, a square [within the figure] as your anchor for the rest of the drawing

> values & color
Check the David Gray video on color swatches. This goes a lot into paints / pigments / color mixing so I doubt it would interest the majority of people here (which I assume work digitally)

> Squint / simplify values into areas of contrast

> Highlights are not as bright as you think they are

Cont.
>>
> skin tone looks "muddy" when the temperature is wrong

> Edges
possibly the most useful and hard to summarize part of the book. It talks about edges and how to approach them, how to tell if something has a soft or hard edge, how color and value influence edges

> color and light
ironically you can get most of this in the book of the same name by James Gurney

> oil-related stuff on color mixing

> Composition
the usual stuff on lines of action etc.
you can read most of this in Framed Ink by Marcos Mateu-Mestre

> opinions on working from photos and tracing
He's a plein air painter and portraiture artist, you can guess. He's got a point given the way he works. He's a loose painter who nails a very small area of detail and interest within a picture, and perception of things in real life helps him do that

> when you work from a photo you should adopt the same restrictions and workflow as working from life

> The Art Spirit

It's kind of an advanced book, for oil painters who want to draw semi-impressionistic portraits. There's a lot of philosophy on painting in the book, and relatively little hands-on how-to. It's not an instructional book in a strict term.

Hope this helps.
>>
>>2475608
>>2475633

Thanks man for taking your time to type this, it's very helpful, at least to one n00b like me.
>>
>>2475645
Apart from the instructions the paintings are amazing. His portraits are so strong.
>>
>>2475608
>>2475633
based, thanks anon
>>
Anybody have this?
>>
>>2475608
>>2475633
thanks a ton, anon
>>
>>2475608
>>2475633
You're a tip top lad, m8.
>>
I know it is somewhere here, but where I don't know.
I have a link to it but when I try to link that instead, 4chan tells me it's spam

http://pastebin.com/VG8dcWcf
>>
>>2479573
Since pastebin seems to work I guess I can just link to it through that
http://pastebin.com/WR6P1srY
>>
>>2479575
thanks anon, you're the best
Thread posts: 15
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.