[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Why aren't there books on gouache?

This is a red board which means that it's strictly for adults (Not Safe For Work content only). If you see any illegal content, please report it.

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 4

File: Rob.jpg (32KB, 350x499px) Image search: [Google]
Rob.jpg
32KB, 350x499px
Why aren't there books on gouache?
>>
This is probably the only one in existence. Why aren't there more people teaching gouache anymore? Same goes with inking, why are these once widely used mediums starting to vanishing?
>>
File: mermie2.jpg (120KB, 570x647px) Image search: [Google]
mermie2.jpg
120KB, 570x647px
>>2453515
>>2453518
THIS. As a gouache artist, I fuckin wish there were more access to tips and shit. I've watched the like, 12 youtube videos about it already.
>>
File: 1457584639216.jpg (51KB, 492x557px) Image search: [Google]
1457584639216.jpg
51KB, 492x557px
>>2453515
>>2453518
>>2453523

What's the benefits of it?
>>
File: mermie3.jpg (94KB, 505x684px) Image search: [Google]
mermie3.jpg
94KB, 505x684px
>>2453538
It's just incredibly matte. If you watch like Bambi and shit, Gouache was the painting technique they used. It's like acrylic painting but on watercolor paper, but dries hella fast, and can be reworked with water again. That's the benefit.
>>
The art book market today is aimed at sunday painters and weeaboos. Gouche dosn't have the kitsch value of a Bob Ross landscape or appeals to weebs so no book on the subject have been written.

I do remember the Famous Artist Course has a small chapter on gouche but it isn't very extensive.
>>
Yes. I want to start painting with gouache, it seems really appealing to me, but I'm a poorfag and the book in the OP is too expensive. Maybe I'll save up for it while experimenting on my own. I'd still like a pdf to flick through before blowing a bunch of dough on an artbook though.
>>
>>2454170
How are you going to afford paints and paper if you can't afford a book?
>>
>>2453515
because its obsolete even gouche masters like masamune shirow went digital

>>2453538
the only benefit its to have the analog piece for display

>>2454170
download painter the digital watercolors emulate it at 100%
you can even dry it to glaze it
>>
>>2453538
It's a good introduction medium since it's cheaper than oils or acrylics, a lot easier than watercolor and very forgiving since it can be reactivated after it's dry. It can be a bit tedious to blend since the paints are opaque and dry fast, but it helps with learning how to tile and design shapes.

>>2454208
You're an idiot.
>>
>>2454220
>You're an idiot.
keep doing your halfassed expensive paints and show it to your kids then
>>
>>2454208

It isn't "obsolete" any more than oil painting or pencil drawing is obsolete.
A lot of people enjoy working with traditional mediums and that is enough of a reason to use them. Still, digital painting has still a long way to go before it can fully emulate the versatility of a paintbrush.
>>
>>2454191
Can't afford both. At least paints I can buy a tube or two at time and settle with the essentials, watercolor paper I already have tons of that I've been given over the years.
>>
>>2453515
Jeff Watts at his Watts Atelier has an amazing course for gouache.
>>
>>2454220
Gasp. And all this time I thought acrylics were the cheapest.
>>
>>2454220
>>2455209
I think that varies a lot. I've found artist grade gouache can be 4 to 10 times the price of artists oils or acrylics.
Of course you use far less product with gouache so it should be more economical depending on your needs.
>>
>>2455375
I guess it depends on your preferred brands and where you live. The more expensive pigments of Golden acrylics are 2-3x the price of a 50ml bottle of Talens gouache for me.
>>
>>2453518
People who pick up painting belong to one of two categories: elderly sunday painters or young people who want to chase their dreams.

The first will choose watercolor or oils because they're what they know exists and they're more fascinating. The latter won't give a shit about muh masters and go digital or use markers.

So gouache appeals to neither. It was a medium that got popular for working artists who needed to be fast, but it got replaced entirely by digital.
Thread posts: 18
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.