[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Career change, have no portfolio, what do

This is a red board which means that it's strictly for adults (Not Safe For Work content only). If you see any illegal content, please report it.

Thread replies: 31
Thread images: 2

I live in Los Angeles, am 23, gave up on what i was originally doing and told my parents I want to pursue art industry career.

What's the best place to go to build a portfolio? I feel like a place of study would suit me better than just staying at home gitting gud, because my home environment isn't exactly primed for intense focus.

I know Watts Atelier is nearby, and that Art Center is in Pasadena, but I'm having trouble deciding. If I should go to an atelier, which are some other good ones? Is a BA at Art Center ideal when I already have a BA in some unrelated field? Probably not, I think.

If nothing, I'll just continue drawing at home.
>>
Depends on what you do.

Don't take life advice from /ic/, though.
>>
>>2444935

are you starting from zero?

i'd focus my education around concept design academy. but to maximize return of investment you want to be at a certain level before spending money on their courses.

art center really only makes sense if you are already so wealthy that a career is entirely optional.
>>
File: skully2.jpg (192KB, 2000x2000px) Image search: [Google]
skully2.jpg
192KB, 2000x2000px
not zero but never pursued it seriously until recently

bare fundamentals, no training, no idea about how to design a good git-gud schedule

What is a concept design academy?
>>
>>2444983
>http://conceptdesignacad.com/
It's a small, independent school. Not sure how they are foundations wise, but a lot of people (including a few Art Center grads I follow) recommend it.
>>
>>2445000
Wow, I'm interested as fuck. Looks like just the thing I need.
>>
>>2445015
>Looks like just the thing I need

yeah, but not yet brah. judging by this >>2444983 you'll want to build a much much stronger drawing foundation before spending the cash on CDA.
>>
>>2444935
just self study. some instructor is going to repeat to you what you can learn out of a book and the difficulty with art is being able to develop your own techniques with your hands and developing a new sight for things.
>>
>>2445042
It's nice to know at what point in the gitgud quest I'm currently at, and that I don't need to worry about finding a school yet.
>>
>>2445043
>>2445042
And stupid post, but I'm assuming you'll both refer me to the sticky?
>>
>>2444935
If you think art school is gonna magically create your portfolio, you're not gonna make it. Most are utter shit, you mentioned the only good ones basically, but you can only afford them if you're extremely rich. You're never gonna be able to pay off loans because artists don't make that kind of money.

Art takes serious determination and any creative career is very mentally demanding. You'll need at least a few years to get decent skill-wise (with or without school), then you need to make yourself tons of connections and be a great business man. If you still have other career options, I'd rather consider those if I were you, at least for now.
>>
>>2445161
Thank you. I appreciate this kind of advice.
>>
>>2444935
go take the drawing classes get good at drawing form

dont get in debt

move away from your parents
>>
>>2445256
>move away from parents
Unless i moved to the sticks, impossible
>>
>>2444935
Can you take life drawing classes? If so, absolutely do it.
>>
>>2445481
That I surely can, being in LA and all. Good idea, I was starting to think that I am not allowed to take any classes whatsoever. There are always places to draw naked ppl here
>>
>>2444935
I'm seconding CDA. I went to art school and people i knew even went there for extra studies because its reputation is that good.
>>
>>2445461
understandably. I apologize for suggesting that. Just let me tell you, you are seriously seriously blessed to be from LA. Please please, take advantage of every opportunity there.
>>
Don't aim at vidya industry, that's actually the goal of the people who already can draw. Learn foundations and learn to freelance as illustrator. Trying to be concept artist is a really unrealistic goal.

Learn foundations. That skull is completly shit.
>>
>>2446102
Im loomising right now... albeit late. I have some time to gitgud at home. I know my fundies and foundies are transparent. Appreciate the tough love.
>>
>>2446135
the most important thing is to integrate drawing into your life. make it a sure thing, a strong habit.

say, i will draw for 30 minutes every day.

at first, you might draw more than that because you're motivated. Sooner or later, that motivation will run out (guaranteed). THe only thing stopping you from giving up is habit. the same thing that makes you take a shower in the morning, brush your teeth everyday, whatever. Habits habits habits habits.

If you habitually draw, doesn't even matter if it's that focuses (though naturally focused practice is best) you will improve.

I would get a full or part time job and work on drawing when you have time off. 6 hours a day is the best possible scenario, but is also very difficult. I would start with whatever amount of time you think is manageable, and make that a habit.

Remember, it takes one month (30 days) of doing something everyday to make it a habit. It helps if it's at the same time but isn't necessary.

Do it when you don't want to, do it when it feels like shit, do it when you feel like giving up, and as long as you draw, you will succeed.
>>
>>2447034
Understood and noted, thanks familia.
>>
>>2444935
I went to Art Center, the best and hardest thing I ever did.

Yes, go to Art Center, but only if you take it seriously. You can coast through the school and waste your time, or you can actually work really hard, do more than just the assignments (a lot of personal projects), and put school and your career first.

I lost a lot of friends by going there, people get fed up hearing about why you can't go out, "I have homework, I have homework, I have homework..." then they just stop calling to hangout. Be prepared for that. Fuck em.

Art Center is an awesome school if you learn how to be a go-getter. It's not an awesome school if you just want to coast through. You will pass, but who cares? You have to think about the fact that there's a ton of people, and if you want to work, you have to actually work your ass off.
>>
>>2447660
Im deeply interested. OP here, I already got a BA in architecture. If the hours are anything the same as studio hours, then i am prepared. Its just the second BA that kind of makes me cringe.
>>
Join lavaflake.com/draw and get painting, 30 minutes a day will do but more does not hurt
>>
>>2447674
You wouldn't be the first to be getting their second BA there. A lot of my peers at previous BAs or even BFAs from other schools. They weren't satisfied in the art schools they previously got their BFAs at and went to Art Center to get a more bootcampish experience.
>>
>>2447689
Wow. Dunno why I am so happy to hear that. I guess I'll weigh the finances and logistics with the tendietenders.
>>
>>2447683
Got confused by the website. It's pretty shitty.
>>
Find a more supportive community than /ic/ to get advice from and get critiques from. OP this place is very negative and also believes art improvement takes much longer than it actually does.

Don't stay here and get thrown under the bus by these people. You have great potential.
>>
>>2445161
>not gunna make it
nice meme
>>
>>2447660
Two of my friends had to drop out but still ended up as success stories. Having said that, don't get too cocky just because a few dropouts won at life. These crazy motherfuckers turned out 20 pictures a week.
Thread posts: 31
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.