[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Character Design Aspects - Project

This is a red board which means that it's strictly for adults (Not Safe For Work content only). If you see any illegal content, please report it.

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 2

File: Character design ref page.png (3MB, 2200x2200px) Image search: [Google]
Character design ref page.png
3MB, 2200x2200px
What's most important for character design? I have an idea on how I like the character's to look but I'm having trouble with some of the more masculine ones and differentiating their facial features. Some are easier than others due to how different I've made the eyes face shape of body design. I would like to create a comic for a story that's been written. What are some things I can do to get better grasp of the characters before going in to combing them in to a composition for comic. Will be posting more character references for who will be included. All open for critique on design aspects.
>>
Stop making OCs
>>
Use photo references of real people and draw caricatures of their facial features. Draw costumes from many different cultures and time periods in order to build a repertoire of visual cues. Do gesture drawings to get comfortable with anatomy and poses. Don't be afraid to radically redesign something if its not coming together.
>>
>>2410550
just because I posted it in the other thread: "Simplified Drawing for Planning Animation" could help. For the guy stuff get a book about drawing guys.
>>
>>2410550
If you want proper character design don't just draw them while in poses, draw them standing with every angle (front,back and side) and also giving what equipment they hold, as in this case your character, draw what her sword looks like and her clothes with details and maybe some explanation on each object.

tl;dr Draw less poses, start giving explanations of her and her arsenal
>>
>>2410587
>draw caricatures of their facial features

Fuck off, caricatures are garbage.
>>
>>2412059
But feature exaggeration is a staple of visual character design. I don't know how you could possibly think otherwise.
>>
>>2410551
why?
>>
>>2412105

Probably just a angry shitposter. Caricature is a very underrated art form imo.
>>
>>2412148
It's because of caricature that most cartoons have ugly as sin faces.
>>
>>2412178
Don't be an idiot. You can't have character design without caricature.
>>
Concept art is for other people to watch at your drawing and create assets for games and movies. The most important feature of a concept art piece is to make people understand shapes, forms and materials as easily as possible.

Photo bashing and textures are often used.

For characters turnaround are essential. Don't look at all those "THE ART OF X" books you see around, those are marketing and usually the drawing you see there are mostly illustration based on the final product.

The actual concept art is way less polished and more about clean lineart with colours, textures and materials.

Source: I have recently talked with a concept artist and I am lucky to have a seasoned concept artist as lecturer.
>>
>>2412730
k, have any examples of the sort of stuff that isn't illustrations based on the final product? or how does one find that sort of stuff?
>>
>>2412730
lel
>>
File: julie_concept.jpg (89KB, 736x524px) Image search: [Google]
julie_concept.jpg
89KB, 736x524px
>>2412874
concept art for Motorcity's Julie, along with comments from art director(?)

robertvalley.tumblr.com actually has quite a few character concept art stuff from TRON: Uprising
Thread posts: 15
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.