[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I would like to get into painting as a hobby but I had a few

This is a red board which means that it's strictly for adults (Not Safe For Work content only). If you see any illegal content, please report it.

Thread replies: 9
Thread images: 1

File: tumblr_ltw666q3zK1r2g7mto1_500.jpg (115KB, 435x435px) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_ltw666q3zK1r2g7mto1_500.jpg
115KB, 435x435px
I would like to get into painting as a hobby but I had a few questions. Sorry if they are really stupid, too.

Anyways, is it absolutely necessary for someone to learn how to draw well to be half decent at painting? My drawing skills stopped at elementary school because I was told my art was trash so I gave up.

Also, are popular painting tutorials such as Bob Ross's series useful at all for a new artist?

Lastly, is it even worth trying to paint if your art skills have always been piss poor?
>>
>>2315733
>is it absolutely necessary for someone to learn how to draw well to be half decent at painting

Drawing is the fundamental skill on which painting rests.
Find me a painter that's shit at drawing
>pro tip: you can't

If you're a filthy hobbyist, it shouldn't matter though.
Just do what ever.
>>
>>2315733
>is it absolutely necessary for someone to learn how to draw well to be half decent at painting?
yes
>Bob Ross's series
would not recommend
>is it even worth trying to paint if your art skills have always been piss poor?
Probably best to get a grasp of the foundations via drawing first imo
>>
>>2315735
Thanks for being elitist. Really contributes a lot to the conversation.
>>
>>2315736
How much drawing would you recommend? Like a basic grasp or like years and years of it? Is it possible to learn the two around the same time as one another?
>>
>>2315736
>>2315735
Samefag
>>
>>2315740
If you wanna do it as a hobby, just do it. Skill level doesnt matter in the beginning.
>>
>>2315733
Elitists aside, if you actually want to make a painting that doesn't suck, you either have to do similar training as professionals (albeit at your own pace and not nearly as intense), or just paint a lot FROM LIFE and LEARN FROM YOUR MISTAKES (which is very hard to do without proper training).

Also, learning to draw first is usually recommended as not only is it cheap, it also allows you to analyse 3 dimensional volumes of without worrying about colour, light, value etc.This will help by giving you the fundamentals which you can then work off of.

In regards to Bob Ross I can't tell you since I have no experience with him, but I guess he can help you once you get your fundamentals down.
>>
>>2315738
He's right though
Thread posts: 9
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.