[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Portfolio Building

This is a red board which means that it's strictly for adults (Not Safe For Work content only). If you see any illegal content, please report it.

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 1

What collection of content is best for a well-rounded concept art portfolio (suitable for an entry level position in the field)?
Any portfolio examples would be greatly appreciated.
>>
>>2295077
Probably something that shows versatility. but also consistency in quality. Show different stages of the design process. 3D is a plus, same with photobashing. But I would be hesitant to only have that. Show you can draw and paint as well.

Probably it is best to focus on just one or two related areas. Maybe environments and assets design. Or characters and weapons design. Or vehicles and props.

I feel many entry level portfolio are too narrow in terms of design. They show all the same design and shape language, all one genre etc.
>>
>>2295081
>. Maybe environments and assets design. Or characters and weapons design. Or vehicles and props.
Thanks for your reply, do you feel these pairs of categories go together best? ie is it better for a character artist to pair with weapons design over environments?
>>
>>2295081
Got a good example of an artist with versatile shape language?
>>
>>2295086
It's easier to pair those things, but I don't see why you couldn't have characters and environments. Likely it would be a larger portfolio if that were the case.

At the end of the day your overall skill is the most important thing.
>>
>>2295095
Dorje Bellbrook comes to mind
>>
>>2295099
This guy is terrific, thank you.
>>
>>2295096
What would be a comfortable number of images for a portfolio focusing on two areas?
>>
I also have a question about portfolios, but I don't want to make a separate thread.
I'm trying to get into the animation department in an art school and I have to have a portfolio with 5-10 images in it by April or so. I was thinking of doing two pencil drawings, two inks, two watercolours, two oil paintings and two digital drawings. I probably should find a way to show off both technical ability and creativity as well, so should I make one realistic and one stylized image in each medium? Is that overkill?
>>
>>2295258
I'm not sure what animation program only wants 5-10 pieces. Usually they want more. For school portfolios you want to have mostly pieces done from life--still life and life drawings. Avoid images done from photos (they can tell usually, and it typically looks worse than stuff from life) and unless you are very skilled with digital I would avoid including that as well.

For animation you want to probably show things like gesture drawing and figure drawing, a character design and maybe an expression sheet for them, perhaps some background layouts, and maybe a storyboard/keyframes for a simple scene. In all of these the focus should be draftsmanship and gesture. They're not gonna be very interested in a 20 hour rendered still life, even if it is good.

If you google around a bit you can find entrance portfolios that were accepted at various schools and sometimes they post the scores or scholarships awarded as well so you get an idea of the level of things required to get in.
>>
>>2295335
Yes, it's rather hard to choose only 5-10 pictures, but I also have to make a 12 panel comic strip, plus they've asked to take any animation/cinematography tests along. After that and an interview we'll have a test (creating a story, character designs and some layouts). I get nervous just thinking about it.
I mainly draw digitally, so character designs and backgrounds and such might be easier for me to draw digitally to be honest.
Thank you so much for everything! 5/5 informative reply, will save.
Thread posts: 11
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.