[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What makes something "Stylized" and "realistic"?

This is a red board which means that it's strictly for adults (Not Safe For Work content only). If you see any illegal content, please report it.

Thread replies: 29
Thread images: 5

File: Picture 1.jpg (237KB, 1280x960px) Image search: [Google]
Picture 1.jpg
237KB, 1280x960px
I'm not blind, I know when something looks stylized or realistic, but when does my art start going into that stylized area? Is it thick outlines? Odd proportions? Shading? I want my stuff to look real, but I like giving my art some odd theme or feature that makes it stand out.

Pic is more of sketches that stuff I take time with, but still gives an idea of what I mean. They are more stylized, but I want to try and move to more realistic stuff.
>>
How old are you?
>>
>>2272825
you can only destroy what you already know
>>
>>2272833

I'm applying to colleges and I'll need to have my full portfolio for the ones that accept me, and I want to have stuff that is only stylized in it.
>>
>>2272825
>Picture 1
post the rest and your portfolio
>>
>>2272882
"Picture 1" is just the name it was given when it was taken by my webcam, I didn't chose it. But I'll get some more of my stuff together.
>>
>I'm applying to colleges

First of all, you better be damn sure that the college you're applying to is worth it
>>
>>2272909
The only expensive school I'm applying to is SAIC, but even then I'm only going if I somehow get merit scholarships. Everything else is affordable.
>>
Here's an album of more of stuff I do. The Cicada and the egg are the only ones that are in my portfolio though.

http://imgur.com/a/UCCk3
>>
Second, you should get the idea of going to college out of your head for a few years at least and raise the standard of work you're capable of substantially before you make your final decision. What you're showing here is very raw, showing little knowledge of form, perspective, and so on - it won't be enough to get any sort of scholarship and barebacking it isn't a great idea considering the expenses involved.

...do you have any pictures that aren't drawn on notebook paper?
>>
File: truth.jpg (627KB, 1270x724px) Image search: [Google]
truth.jpg
627KB, 1270x724px
>>2272825
>but when does my art start going into that stylized area?
Pretty much when the drawing barely resembles anything close to a human being.
Heres a picture that represents what your doing, even if you dont want to draw the anime stuff, the rule still applies to any form of exaggerated aesthetic
>>
>>2272915
Even if it's "affordable" if the instructors there can't teach you real drawing (and there are a lot of schools like that) it will be a complete waste of both time and money, don't be a statistic, do your research.

Honestly you should just get a subscription to New Masters Academy (http://www.newmastersacademy.org/home/), Proko.com and so on. A year's subscription to NMA, the Proko premium content and some supplementary books wouldn't even come close to the price of a semester at even the dumpiest technical college
>>
>>2272917
You should draw something like the cicada and the egg as often as you can, and improve your abilities.
Drawing something "stylized" comes way way later.
Just because it's different doesn't make it have value, you draw your cartoon characters because you can't draw real people, and it's clearly evident.
You are a nobody OP, you can't get by on uniqueness.

>>2272929
That picture is exactly right, even if it looks silly.
>>
>>2272924
As good as not going to college and staying home drawing all day sounds, it's not much of an option, because my mother would either disown me or send me to some business school that I'd hate. So I kind of have to go to college.

And I do have some short (like gif. short) animations and other stuff I made on my art tablet, but I don't think they're better than the stuff I do on paper.
>>
>>2272960
You're a grown man, you should make your own fucking decisions.

Also he means you shouldn't be writing on ruled paper, submit that to a college and they won't even bother looking at the rest of your work/
Are you listening to what people are saying as regards your drawing skill?
>>
>>2272975
I can make my own decisions yes. However, I don't want to live on the fucking street...

That last bit I misread, but yea I have stuff not on notebook paper, those are just for sketches when I don't feel like taking out my sketchbook that covers my entire desk at school. Here's the link to my other stuff.

http://imgur.com/a/UCCk3
>>
>>2272960
If that's the case then you're basically screwed, but you can come out of this alive if you

1. find the right school/refuse to attend the wrong kind of school

2. start drawing hard immediately. I don't know how much or how often you draw now but it's probably not nearly enough.

You should show her one or both of those images I posted earlier and tell her what I said, remind her that these schools aren't simply going to disappear if you forego attending them for a few years and that you want to get the absolute most you can from her investment and to do that you need to uplift yourself to a level where you can expect to get at least a minimal scholarship. Ask your mom to trust you and most importantly make sure that you put the work in and don't let her trust be misplaced.
>>
>>2272986
GO TO BUSINESS SCHOOL AND TEACH YOURSELF ART. if that doesn't work out then you have a degree that you can use for any job outside of business because most placers only care if you have a degree at all.

And talk to your god damn mom if you can't go into something you want to. She might be ok with you doing something else.
>>
>>2272986
Cicada is ok, egg is ok. rest is absolute shit. and just pic dump next time. I shouldn't have to click on a image link to see something on a image board.
>>
>>2272989
I still have freedom to choose my schools, and we can afford anything that's under 30K a year. I'll also end up getting a lot of "pity money" because my father was a cop and a soldier. And I actually do WANT to go to college. I've been drawing everyday for the past 2 years now , while I may not be terrible, I can only imagine what I can do in 4 years and being actually taught stuff rather than self teaching.
>>
>>2273005
>while I may not be terrible
So far you are. I'm not saying it to be mean, but I haven't seen you post anything that isn't trash.

Stop drawing from your imagination, practice drawing real things for the love of god
>>
You might want to stop by the board's sticky and start reading up on the basics.
>>
>>2273005
>30k a year
>4 years
>while I may not be terrible

You have a lot of work to do. I suggest you pay <$1000 a year on a formal online education first, with a subscription to proko.com's premium content, newmastersacademy.com, and visits to the ctrlpaint.com library.

>everyday for 2 years

How much and how long? That doesn't mean anything, that's the same thing as people that say they've "drawn all their life". It doesn't matter if you draw every day if you're just copying that shark-toothed asshole's face in the same position every day godammit.

You owe it to your future self to NOT go into $120,000 worth of debt just because you could hypothetically "afford it" especially because unless you can reach a level where you can earn a nice scholarship you probably won't be someone who "makes it" right out of college anyway.
>>
>>2273005

How about you don't waste your parents' money on a pipe dream until you demonstrate you're capable of something better than the bottom of the barrel garbage you're drawing on lined paper?

If you're going to coast on parental generosity, aim to NEET and self teach for a year or two to see if you're actually capable of anything. No school worth your time and money is going to accept a portfolio like that. If you can't get to at least competent levels in two years' dedicated self-directed study, don't bother.

I'm not saying this to be an asshole, but if you think what you have to offer right now is anything beyond the other stuff that rolls into the beginner thread which regularly gets shit on here, you need a reality check. Don't waste daddy's money on your delusion, get your baseline skills up to snuff before you pay or make somebody else pay out their ass for it.

Additionally, don't fall into the "muh style" trap for Christ's sake.
>>
>>2273005
Well... I hate to say that, but your level is really, really low. I saw some people by your level in college, and they all failed the first year. And it was in Europe, where a year cost only 600$, not one arm and a leg. Think about the waste of money if you fail.
These people also improved during the year, don't get me wrong, but not enough. With your current level, I'd say stick with the finance college and draw during your free time or convince your mother to give you one free year where you'll draw day and night, learning basic stuff about anatomy, maybe go to some model classes and such. I don't know what level you must have in the colleges you're apllying to so I could be wrong though, but I don't think you have the level now.

The cicada and the egg are quite good, even if I said harsh things these drawings make me think that you have something, you're just too used to draw from your head and not trying new style/technique, you're staying in your safe place. Try, practice, fail, do it again. You'll learn so much more.

Best of luck to you, I really hope you'll find a solution.
>>
>>2272929
>>2272947
this

go back to basics, op
>>
>>2272960
>because my mother would either disown me or send me to some business school that I'd hate

I am doing a postgrad course that eats up around 5-6 hours of my free time for 5 days in a week and upon finishing I will qualified to become a trainee solicitor and do more boring land law shit all day

I would kill to have a BA student schedule, if you aren't lazy as shit, extremely incompetent or both you should have no problem training yourself 4 hours everyday.
>>
>>2273005
>>2272825
>>2272917
>that
>may not be terrible

you need to get someone other than your close friends and family to comment on your work.
>>
i will bump this fãm
Thread posts: 29
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.