[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I would like to get good at drawing and eventually(in like 6

This is a red board which means that it's strictly for adults (Not Safe For Work content only). If you see any illegal content, please report it.

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 2

I would like to get good at drawing and eventually(in like 6 years) make a living out of it.

I'm aiming for digital drawing.

Will following the sticky minimize the bad habits I will learn?

Should I even bother with learning how to draw with a pencil or just get a tablet and learn to draw with it directly?

Thank you very much in advance!
>>
>>2250072
>Will following the sticky minimize the bad habits I will learn?
No. Getting a good teacher will.
>>
>>2250073
Can't afford it, not to mention I don't have any good teachers in the area.
>>
I felt like drawing on a tablet after years on paper felt like playing an electric guitar after some practice on an acoustic one.

You are not required to, but that will help.
>>
>>2250076
Does mechanical pencil make any difference?

Or should I just fucking draw instead of thinking too much about my equipment?
>>
You're asking the wrong questions so you won't get far with that. Yep, read the sticky, for real, read it. and loomis too.
>>
>>2250079
I'm trying to do my best and to follow the most efficient path I can for what I'm trying to achieve. I'm aware that overthinking is basically procrastinating when it comes to things like this. Thanks.
>>
>>2250078

At the end of the day you may draw with charcoal on your walls and make it look awesome.

But if you want to walk this road step by step I'd say to use wood pencil first, since mechanical pencil are heavier and may hold your expression. Anyway don't fry over this, just draw draw draw.
>>
>>2250097
Will do! Starting tonight.
>>
I started on digital and then went into traditional, and I feel like I learn things far quicker traditionally. Digital being such a forgiving medium is nice, but it doesn't punish mistakes much, which for many people means you need to make a lot more mistakes before it sinks in. Doing traditional stuff also limits your tools which sometimes forces you to come up with creative solutions, as opposed to digital giving you all the tools all the time.

If you fuck up a traditional drawing you've spent hours on you fucking remember it and remember why.

I say do both. Being good at one will help be better at the other, and you'll learn different skills from different mediums that can be carried across.
>>
>>2250126

To elaborate more, basically what I mean by one making you learn quicker is that doing traditional requires a "measure twice cut once" approach while digital, more often than not, equates to "cut as many times as you want until you get it right."
It's a nice luxury to have, but it won't do you any favors learning how to plan ahead.
>>
I suggest you first get a rough idea about the fundamentals (except color) using just a pencil. One soft and one hard one, on any cheap ass paper.

You will learn measuring reference, drawing from life, perspective/planes, form and values with two dollars worth of tools.

Once you feel like you don't need to fix anything anymore on your pencil-shaded studies, move onto digital.

Do studies with digital as you practice your program of choice, and then get into rendering digitally. Understanding brush and layer settings, on top of the basics of color and lighting, will get you started to look into commissions.

From here on, it's going to be hard. You can get lucky getting hired as an illustrator to fit some niche position, or you keep getting good until people will pay you a lot for commissions. Or become a wage slave illustrator/filler.
>>
File: Sheldon Borenstein.png (1MB, 670x1434px) Image search: [Google]
Sheldon Borenstein.png
1MB, 670x1434px
if you can't draw with a pencil, you most likely won't know how to draw with a tablet. learn to do both.
>>
>>2250944
I think Mr. Borenstein has done that demonstration too many times
>>
>>2250960
it's a good excuse to get himself an candybar.
>>
>>2250072
>I would like to get good at drawing and eventually(in like 6 years) make a living out of it.
depending on your current level and how much your willing to work at it, that is a realistic goal
>i am for digital drawing
Good drawing skills are founded in the fundamentals.If you can draw properly, you will be able to take those skills anywhere, be it digital, graphite, charcoal, woodetchings ect.
>Will following the sticky minimize bad habits.
This is a thing alot of beginning artists struggle with. They worry about doing the wrong thing so damn much they worry and worry and dont draw. Well heres something to help with that

Just draw
Literally
Just draw
Everything will come to you if you JUST DRAW
Do it alot, 2-3 hours a day minimum. Or as much as you can afford to do
Follow artists on tumblr that you like, follow pin up blogs, look for inspiration in other art/media to guide you.
Draw alot, when in doubt draw ALOT
As a rule of thumb, fill up a sketch book every month.
>>
I'd vote traditional first, cheaper to get started and once you have some kind of experience do the tablet. At this point you don't even know what you're looking for in a program and to feel them out as you're just starting can get a bit overwhelming
Thread posts: 17
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.