[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How the hell did katsuhiro otomo learn to animate so well in

This is a red board which means that it's strictly for adults (Not Safe For Work content only). If you see any illegal content, please report it.

Thread replies: 28
Thread images: 2

File: cloth.gif (1007KB, 500x261px) Image search: [Google]
cloth.gif
1007KB, 500x261px
How the hell did katsuhiro otomo learn to animate so well in such a short period of time?
>>
How short a time was it?
>>
>>2248208
Japanese work ethic.
>>
File: otomo.jpg (228KB, 546x818px) Image search: [Google]
otomo.jpg
228KB, 546x818px
>>2248211
Two years
>>
>>2248208

He did? I'm pretty sure Akira's animation was the result of Takashi Nakamura and all the other animators' (Inoue, Okiura) efforts.

I don't think Otomo ever learned to animate.
>>
>>2248213
Fun fact time. The japs are far less productive than any other country outside of the tropics. They don't actually do much at work and spend most of the time looking busy
>>
>>2248208
i didn't think he did any animation in the movie... but still, if you know how to draw well (and he already drew things sequentially), i don't think animation is too much of a leap.
>>
>>2248248
>but still, if you know how to draw well (and he already drew things sequentially), i don't think animation is too much of a leap.
animation and drawing while although somewhat related aren't as easy as you might think. there's entire principles and shit that you don't really consider when you're drawing not for animation.
>>
>>2248245
That doesn't apply to anime industry
where people literally work from morning until next morning
which is why it has labour shortage years by years
>>
>>2248248
>>2248229
He worked in animation you stupid faggots

He did many of the layouts for Akira
>>
>>2248361
layouts are backgrounds

not the same as animating
>>
>>2248365
Kill youreself stupid nog
>>
>>2248311
You're also forgetting the fact that it pays like shit and the workplace isn't exactly inviting itself
>>
He takes video of real life movement and copies it frame for frame in his animation. This isn't a new concept
>>
>>2248407
rotoscoping??
>>
>>2248407
Liar
>>
>>2248516
Did you watch steamboy? It's a lot more apparent. That movie uses every trick out there.
>>
>>2248374
how is he the stupid one for pointing out the error in your logic lol
>>
>>2248532
kill youreself stupid nog
>>
>>2248407
Oh this guy again, just ignore him.
>>
>>2248536
kill youreself stupid nog
>>
>>2248208
It's not so much about personal skill as it is a shift in standards and audience.

Anime just ain't what it used to be in late 80's/early 90's. The industry has long realized any fanservice-ridden shit featuring moe girls will sell, so why do quality work?

Churning out low quality drivel en masse will net you more money.
>>
>>2248223
citation needed
>>
>>2248245
Typical bullshit without source.
>>
There's nothing difficult about animating if you can draw, lmao. Unfortunately people don't understand this.
>>
>>2248223
That's not a short time.
He could already draw, learning to draw every day for two years is plenty of time.
>>
>>2248917
Not him, but here's some personal experiences foreigners had with working in Japanese companies:
http://en.rocketnews24.com/2013/08/26/five-things-that-keep-japanese-people-chained-to-their-jobs/

There are better sources that explain it more thoroughly (also cases where workers can only leave when their boss leaves), but I don't know what kind of keywords I have to use to find those entries again.
They aren't completely unproductive, just that their workload drags out some additional hours so the workers can look better to their managers and bosses.
>>
Because he mastered the form of drafting by creating multiple mangas in his 20's. By the time he was starting to transition to animation, he had already mastered composition and everything needed for storyboarding because he had already almost completed the Akira manga.

He didn't animate at all dude, he storyboarded and did all the layouts. When you are essentially a master of comics, of course you can layout an animated film.

He was already 8 years into making mangas when he started Akira in 1982. He was 34 when he directed Akira...

Op is absolute talking out his ass, it's not Japanese standard or natural talent. He worked himself and took the initiative progress steadily in his artform of choice. A big breakthrough he had was finding influence in Moebius's work...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Katsuhiro_Otomo
Thread posts: 28
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.