[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How deadly were ancient Gaelic warriors?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 29
Thread images: 8

File: brave.jpg (8KB, 236x172px) Image search: [Google]
brave.jpg
8KB, 236x172px
>>
>>979969

Considering they got the shit kicked out of them, repeatedly, not very.
>>
>>979974
Irish beat vikings, fucked the picts, and it took the English hundreds of years to finally subjugate Ireland as a whole they might have officially lost, but Gaels were in high demand as mercenaries due to their skills as individual warriors. Excellent warriors, poor leadership besides based Brian Boru.
>>
>literally a Deadliest Warrior thread
>>
File: 1454888496605.png (206KB, 4496x4328px) Image search: [Google]
1454888496605.png
206KB, 4496x4328px
>>979988
this. after all we conquered scotland and gaelicised it.
>>
>>979969

Their mighty spears would oft penetrate the fleshy parts of their enemies' thighs. However, their tendency to accidentally do the same to their own prevented them from being as effective as they could have.
>>
File: 1339522551583.jpg (453KB, 1078x1474px) Image search: [Google]
1339522551583.jpg
453KB, 1078x1474px
>>979988
>Gaels were in high demand as mercenaries due to their skills as individual warriors

You spelled "cheap walking bullet catches" wrong.
>>
>>981224

Hey, whisky was expensive at certain times and places.
>>
>>979969
I wish to ironically veto this thread for abusdity
>>
>>982888

Thats why you bumped it 12 hours later?
>>
File: hadrian[1].jpg (35KB, 288x426px) Image search: [Google]
hadrian[1].jpg
35KB, 288x426px
Build Wall
>>
>>979969
Probably as deadly as any other warrior.
>>
This thread is stupid but here goes I will share some stuff I have read some sources on

>Gaelic swords are fuckhuge
>they swing them around over head to build momentum
>clunk a shield with it, and break it

Or on the topic of their fights specially with romans, there were quite a few accounts of the following
>Troops rush the roman line
>they dive and roll right before the line
>explode up and cut down the front line

Something to that effect. The Gauls really tested and hardened roman fighting style.
>>
File: your wall sucks.jpg (37KB, 358x450px) Image search: [Google]
your wall sucks.jpg
37KB, 358x450px
>>983259
bitch please
>>
They had swords and stuff and could poke you with them and that hurts. Hurts so bad you died.
>>
File: Western Barbarians Celts (6).jpg (365KB, 1500x1123px) Image search: [Google]
Western Barbarians Celts (6).jpg
365KB, 1500x1123px
>>979969
They were the premiere Mercenaries whose fame is known from Iberia to Egypt.

Most cunts in the "Civilized" World typecast them as the penultimate close combat warrior, and Greeks, Romans, Iberi, Carthaginians, and even Easterners took cues from their equipment in tactics (i.e. the Lozenge shield, their swords, helmets chainmail, etc.)

Some Eastern Entities even had this Varangian Guard-style bodyguards called "Galatian Guardsmen." The Herodian Kings of Israel and the Ptolemaic Pharaoh were guarded by units of Galatian Celts. Later on, these Celts remarried into Greek/Local ethnicities and the title of "Galatian" was merely formal, staffed by Non-Celts in Celtic gear.

They were also considered some of Western Europe's finest horsemen. Following the Roman conquest this horsemanship continued as Gallo-Romans pretty much make up a lot of the Cavalry Wings.
>>
>>979988
>Irish beat vikings
So did practically everyone else who got the chance to actually fight them
>>
>>983506
>and the title of "Galatian" was merely formal, staffed by Non-Celts in Celtic gear.
I don't think thats strictly true. While Macedonian and Persian became generic terms not related to actual ethnicity within Ptolemaic Egypt, Galatian still meant you were at least part Celtic.

Source is Army and Society in Ptolemaic Egypt
>>
>>983506
>>983356
aren't Gaels specifically Irish?
>>
File: The Army of Herod the Great-16.jpg (125KB, 516x722px) Image search: [Google]
The Army of Herod the Great-16.jpg
125KB, 516x722px
>>983557
No m8 this was much l8er during the Diadochoi Period, think 100's BC.

By that time, the "Galatian" title just meant your unit. But initially it was staffed by shitloads of actual Galatians early in the 200's BC who were crawling all over the hellenic world looking for Merc Jobs. I mean sure some Celts were in said outfits, but they pretty much accepted any elite cunt into the Galatian Guardsmen.

>>983566
Gallus is pretty much just Latin for anyone Celt.
>>
File: doobie.jpg (28KB, 301x450px) Image search: [Google]
doobie.jpg
28KB, 301x450px
>>983468

finally someone on the Chan who can explain things so I can understand them
>>
>>983584
Yes, the question was Gaelic warriors though, not Gallic warriors.
>>
>>979969

as deadly as a pack of charging humans with a sharp metal objects in their fists
>>
>>983584
>Gallus is pretty much just Latin for anyone Celt.
Gallus=/=Gael
>>
Irish mercenaries were targeted first because of their deadly shillelaghs
>>
>>983553
Yes. Good thing they had silver tongues that allowed them to secure places like Normandy for themselves, become famed mercenary warr.. I mean diplomats, and found the Kiovan Rus.
>>
>>979988
>>983553
Irish """""""beat""""""" Vikings.

LADS. I guess a lot of people will probably look to Based Brian Boru, but while a lot of people say he "shattered Viking power in Ireland" he didn't, really.

Viking culture or power never took hold-Vikings didn't assimilate the Irish, the Irish assimilated the Vikings.

What Based Boru essentially did was roll up with superior numbers and fuck up what Vikings did remain in the area, before they could get much aid and people see this as the "throwing the Vikings back into the sea" when in reality it was just throwing some Viking-flavoured irish back into the sea.
>>
>>983738
You think they took Normandy by force or something?
Rollo got BTFO so hard the king wanted to keep him as his bitch
>>
>>982896
Yes, bump.
Thread posts: 29
Thread images: 8

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.