[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Is good art subjective or objective? Why?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 2

File: 1456991589375.jpg (341KB, 634x875px) Image search: [Google]
1456991589375.jpg
341KB, 634x875px
Is good art subjective or objective? Why?
>>
>>979485
Ask the market. Phosphenes.
>>
File: 280x157-cKu.jpg (317KB, 2054x1152px) Image search: [Google]
280x157-cKu.jpg
317KB, 2054x1152px
both at the same time.
>>
>>979496
The market prices for modern art are just due to it being used for money laundering.
>>
>>979485
Depends on what you mean by "good". I'd say that "good" art is that which is produced with skill. In that case you could have art that was, by an objective standard, skillfully produced and would therefor be "good" while also being universally despised.
>>
>>979608

OP didn't ask WHY it was good.
>>
>>979485
There are several different systems for valuing art. That's about as objective as you can get.

On the other hand when art is turned into a commodity the profits become the ultimate objective measurement.
>>
>>979485
Good art is indeed subjective, but horrible art is objective
>>
>>979485
ART CAN BE OBJECTIVELY JUDGED THROUGH THE USE OF OBJECTIVE PARAMETERS THAT HAVE ULTIMATELY BEEN CHOSEN SUBJECTIVELY

this is the only correct answer
>>
>>979608
[citation needed]
>>
>>979485
How the message is interpreted subjective. The techniques used to convey the message are objective.
>>
I think art speaks to the human condition, unlocks experience that is walled out by conventional language. It's objectively good if it unlocks this experience from the receiver, but subjective in the sense that it's an experience held strictly by the individual.

So in other words, it's technically subjective, but humans have enough commonality where objective or 'pseudo-objective' measurement could be applied generally.

tl;dr: to the extent to which people are similar, it's objective and to the extent to which people are individually dissimilar, it's subjective.
>>
Art is objective, reaction/categorization is subjective.
>>
Since most of /his/ rejects objectivity, how can anything be objective?
>>
I think it's inter-subjective. I don't think there are many people that would think the sistine chapel is shit, or the mona lisa. But there are plenty of people that dislike dada art or any form of modernism. But there's really no objective criteria.
>>
>>982380
>or any form of modernism
Those people are generally memeshitting retards that either through stupidity or dishonesty equate modernism with ab ex though.
>>
>>982388
Yeah modern art is hard to understand and it requires a lot of patience. Something most people lack. No wonder all dictators ban it.
Thread posts: 17
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.