[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Primitive man's observations

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 32
Thread images: 6

File: image.jpg (160KB, 1600x1200px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
160KB, 1600x1200px
So /his/, tell me about some seemingly mundane events or tricks of the mind that could have influenced how our primitive ancestors formed their folk lore, religious beliefs or superstitions.

>constelations in the night sky forming figures around which to mold gods
>when you stare at a small flame in a dark place. Such as a small campfire, and close your eyes, a bright red eye shaped image appears, with serpentine pupils down the middle. Could be seen as an evil aparition, and form the basis of a superstition

Etc.
Lets speculate a bit
>>
File: the fire.jpg (67KB, 680x1020px) Image search: [Google]
the fire.jpg
67KB, 680x1020px
>>977828
Fascinating threat, little contribution I can think of.

I have been obsessed with a theme recently, philosophically and artistically. It has persisted for months. I'm stuck on an elevated version of the chicken and the egg. I eat, and at almost every meal, I break down the components and think "Who the fuck even thought of eating this? Who the fuck thought of doing this and eating it?"

When it comes to science and the mothers of invention down the line, it makes sense. Logic would follow for certain things like light bulbs or cars, things made from components or concepts we already understood. But what of the building blocks? What made these rudimentary men think of and make these rudimentary blocks with their rudimentary means?

Who was the first crazy motherfucker to think "I'm going to crack open this bird egg on a hot surface and eat it?" Who was the first to say "I'll crack it open, throw it in with some wheat or flour or whatever, mix it around and make something!" and come out with bread or pasta? Just where did they get these ideas?
>>
>>977866
Ive wondered that a few times, and the best answer i could think of was that back then, cooking wasn't as structured and recipe based like it is today, so there was a lot of experimentation to be done. Whatever these folk had to eat was cooked or prepared in a variety of ways, all depending on what was available, how much of it, etc. some good ideas stuck, and the method was memorized and passed on.

As for individual ingredients, pretty much observation, trial and error i suppose
>>
How did the first early humans know how to have sex? Furthermore at what point did they realize sex led to children?
>>
>>977910
I'd go further back to the first animals.
Humans would've gotten it from their elders since sex probably wasn't taboo at all.
>>
>>977910
Shits instinctive yo
>>
OP here,

I was thinking more along the lines of pic related, seeing things in nature, or around their social groups that would inspire more spiritual/social happenings, instead of purely practical items or systems
>>
>>977828
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brocken_spectre

Phenomenons like this must have seemed terrifying to our ancestors. I'm sure many of the visions from the gods and ecounters with heavenly messengers that you find throughout all religions have their roots in a combination of drugs/illness and natural phenomena.
>>
>>977989
this. humans love to hump. it feels good.
>>
>>977866
bird egg be food (either instinctively or because birds are food so maybe bird eggs are food as well)
hot make food taste better
apply hot to bird egg
>>
>>978004
I think they were just trying to make sense of the world they were living in with the tools they had. They did not have empirical tools to measure and observe the universe, they did not develop philosophical models for evaluating their observations. They had language, story telling and they described the world in those terms, little by little expanding upon it.
I imagine folktales led to more rigorous mythologies, they practiced magic, trying to manipulate the world that they understood.
We often like to dismiss them as primitive and unintelligent but they were doing what we do today, understand the world and our place in it. They just had very different tools and methods to do so.
>>
>>978027
pass me that wineskin dawg
>>
>>978027
But anon what if we add tasty sand and meat slice with egg?
>>
>>978029
Surely a general increase in the intelligence of the populations is needed for more and more advanced tools to arise?
>>
>>978082
I think gathering more knowledge and most importantly sharing that knowledge gives arise to new tools.
Whether it be language, counting, building tools or navigating around your surroundings, the accumulation of knowledge catalyses our ability for abstraction.
I do not know if we can assess how intelligent our ancestors were. Are we today more intelligent than the residents of ancient Greece? We have more knowledge surely but I don't think we are more intelligent.
>>
File: image.jpg (74KB, 530x530px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
74KB, 530x530px
>>978099
That's quite a persuasive argument, and one i haven't heard before. This may just keep my mind busy for a bit, thanks!
>>
File: 2001 leopard.png (2MB, 1917x1034px) Image search: [Google]
2001 leopard.png
2MB, 1917x1034px
>>977828
>eat smaller animals
>see bigger animals
>leave and respect them because they cannot be killed, and would kill us if we tried
>another predator kills that animal instead
>assume there must be a biggest, baddest animal out there that will kill us all and we should respect it
>call it God

>be a child
>see that you have parents
>assume they must have had parents too
>assume this goes back and back and back
>assume there must have been a First Father, who all the children came from
>call it God

>see the sun
>it gives warmth, life, vision, the seasons, the day, animals, agriculture, health, plants etc
>it must be a protector or life giver of some kind
>call it God

God is in Nature, Man, and Heavens. Pretty good intuition we had.
>>
Shit nigga sometimes those clouds throw sparks and sometimes they don't
Why that nigga?
I dunno nigga, maybe there's somekind of wackyass smith up there and when he forges something sparks go flying and it makes an awful racket
>>
File: image.jpg (61KB, 393x600px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
61KB, 393x600px
Paleolithic man, pure ID stumbling unconsciously across the savannah of central Africa

He invents a rudimentary language. Symbols, meaning, self expression. EGO flourishes alongside ID

For the first time paleolithic man communicates with himself. He is startled and confused by the sound of his own inner voice.

He attributes this schizophrenia as the voice of God. Dawn of ancient men's spiritual awakening
>>
>>978082
>>978127
Most advancements are purely build upon the work of people before.
1+1+1+1, not 1+2+3+4 in terms of the amount of progress, it's been pretty steady for a while now.
>>
>>978143
Those first two theories I haven't ever heard before but they're pretty convincing.
>>
>>978143
>>978229
First and third one seem very Mesoamerican Imo, though of course various peoples around the world were fond of the sun
>>
>>977910
They weren't fucking stupid.
>>
>>977866
>>977887

Loads of animals eat eggs because they smell the goodness inside. Man sees this and decides to try it themselves.
>>
>>977910

Did you learn to be afraid of heights or to feed yourself when you're hungry?

It's instinctive, we don't need to learn any of our most important functions.
>>
>>978082

You don't need intelligence to know how to create a tool, just knowledge, the knowledge usually first comes from trial and error rather than an intelligent imagining of a scenario using an hypothetical tool.
>>
>>978143
>>978197
>>978004
This shit right here nigga, dem niggas knows what dis thread be about.

Also
> be primal man
> discover snake near dwelling
> didn't hear snake coming
> didn't see snake coming
> didn't smell snake coming
> didn't feel snake coming
> snake is threat
> evil snake, scary snake

> this is snek, this snek is evil god... Hissssssssss.. Hisss...
>>
>>977828
They were smarter and wiser than you.
>>
>>979591
Ayy son, your shitposting skills are advanced
>>
>>979585
I tell the sneak

lee me alon

I jus want tu be lef, aloone
>>
Dogs were associated with death due to their scavenging habits and luminal status as both wild beast and civilized tool
>>
I just finshed studying for a test on the Minoans and it really got me thinking. They lived in such a highly seismic area. Earthquakes frequently destroyed everything they had.
What is this earthquake?
Why is this earthquake?
It must be our fault.
Everything happens for a reason.

I think early man was quite logically. In a world where you cannot know what an earthquake is, the most likely idea is of god.

I made cup out of clay, who made clay?
Thread posts: 32
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.