[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Who invented the airplane? Santos Dumont or Wright brothers?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 3

File: Muttley.jpg (65KB, 594x334px) Image search: [Google]
Muttley.jpg
65KB, 594x334px
Who invented the airplane? Santos Dumont or Wright brothers?
>>
>Implying

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Richard_Pearse
>>
>>967769
>Santos Dumont
One of the more shaky alternate claimants, telling he is the Brazilian one.
>>
It was an incremental invention that can't be attributed to a single inventor, but to several who each made a breakthrough. Those inventors are:

- Félix du Temple
- Jean-Marie Le Bris
- Alphonse Pénaud
- Clément Ader
- Alberto Santos-Dumont
- Gabriel Voisin
>>
>>967839
No Otto Lilienthal?
>>
>>967769
As far as the practical air plane it was the wright brothers, before their innovations a flying machine could not really be controlled effectively. Most of the rest they adopted or adapted from earlier inventors
>>
File: possibleprototype.jpg (73KB, 652x408px) Image search: [Google]
possibleprototype.jpg
73KB, 652x408px
>>968820
I don't feel partial to it but as I understand it the WB essentially built a large paper airplane that depended on a launch band of some sort. IF that's the case it's the same as calling pic related a car.

I could be wrong though since I haven't researched the subject
>>
>>968831
There plane was wood and canvas, it had an engine and propellers. It did require a launcher of sorts to take off, but it flew under its own power.
>>
>>968838
If it could fly on its own and only needed the help with the launch like a jet on a narrow plane-carrier I see no reason to not consider it a plane
>>
>>968845
They also built several guilders to test their ideas early on, and when there early ideas failed they build and conducted some of the earliest wind tunnel tests.

For to amateur engineers working out of their garage they did pretty well
>>
>>967839
>It was an incremental invention that can't be attributed to a single inventor

I.e. like any other complex machine
>>
File: Glenn Curtiss.jpg (114KB, 550x676px) Image search: [Google]
Glenn Curtiss.jpg
114KB, 550x676px
the wright brothers were cunts.

>t. Curtiss
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NySGMQeBgBU
>>
>>968845

you're retarded as shit
>>
>>967769
Da Vinci
>>
>>968998

Can't really argue with you, but the Wright brothers really only hurt themselves, Curtis went on to much greater success. After Wilbur died, the Wrights won a big lawsuit against Curtis who claimed the aileron made his airplanes unique (he was right) but Orville didn't pursue further legal action even though he could have.

Fun fact, Curtiss built a badass V8 motorcycle that set a land speed record for motorcycles in 1907 that wasn't topped until the 30s. He was going 136 mph on a hopped up bike, which is faster than basically every aircraft of WW1.
>>
>>967839
WTF I love my country now
>>
>>967839
Well, considering the plane as a machine heavier than air, able to take off and land on its own, I do not see how the claim of the Wright brothers could stand. As noted: >>968831

For the good of the facts, they were not even the first to fly with the help of external forces. Many inventors before they did, but only
them receive the undue recognition.

Santos-Dumont developed a machine in these exact specifications, and was the first to do so, although other names (such as Cayley, Le Bris, Mozhaysky, and Lilienthal), have given substantial contributions in its development.
Thread posts: 18
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.