[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Has anyone on this board ever fasted for religious reasons?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 51
Thread images: 1

File: 1450225996156.jpg (120KB, 716x768px) Image search: [Google]
1450225996156.jpg
120KB, 716x768px
Has anyone on this board ever fasted for religious reasons?
>>
>>961075
Yea
>>
>>961075
I've skipped some meals because I felt too lazy to cook shit. That's the closest to fasting I've ever come.
>>
Yup, and I'm going to do it again in about 2 months.
>>
not really, just not eating meat on easter week
feels good
>>
>>961075
I've observed the Great Lent to the extent of my ability for a couple years before I lapsed completely.
>>
>>961075
Sure, I don't eat meat eat on fridays or during pre-easter fasting time and I don't eat anything on ashe wednesday, good friday and holy saturday

Catholic, and i would miss fasting, if i didn't do it.
>>
>>961075
I am converting to Orthodoxy right now, and tried to fast for Great Lent; made it about a week, but I think it was a half-decent effort for someone who has never fasted before.
>>
>>961075
Yeah, it's good.
>>
Yeah, but you get to eat a lot of bagels with cream cheese and smoked fish afterwards
>>
>>961079
>>961088
>>961097
>>961125
>>961137
>>961149
>atheists on /his/ depressed by people seriously practicing Abrahamic religion
>atheists on suicide watch
feelsgoodman
>>
>>961168
Why do you have to make it us versus them?
>>
>>961168
>>961183
I am rather sure that half of the guys getting into fights against the fundamentalists on here are other Religios people.
>>
>>961075
>Has anyone on this board ever fasted for religious reasons?

No but I tried intermittent fasting for non-religious reasons.

Apparently it's healthy, but I don't know the scientific veracity of that statement, I merely tried it out a couple over a week, and I didn't really feel any different than I did with a normal 3 meals a day diet.
>>
>>961183
Sometimes I like to be edgy.

>>>961194
That's true. I know I have.
>>
>>961168
why would people being religiously observant depress me? If that makes them happy then good for them
>>
>>961229
That's just >>961200 being edgy
>>
yup five days once that was pretty exciting
>>
>>961075
Yes. It's much easier than people think
>>
What's the point of fasting? What religious idea are you observing, I mean.
>>
>>961388
Imitating Christ in the desert
>>
I did once as a kid, but soon after I was finished with religion. The events were unrelated, it was a long time coming.
>>
>>961397

Are you ever told to do it in Scripture, or is it just to be more like him or something?
>>
>>961406
Fasting's already very ubiquitous in scripture. The longest fast in the Catholic and Orthodox calendars (40 days for Lent) is specifically meant to imitate what Jesus did.
>>
>>961388
O you who have believed, decreed upon you is fasting as it was decreed upon those before you that you may become righteous - [al-Baqarah, 2:183]
>>
>>961397
>>961415
>>961439

Thanks guys.
>>
>>961506
No problem m8
>>
>>961075
orthodox but never got into fasting.

the only thing i respect every year is fast for easter, this brings me a great joy and i really feel the spiritual benefits
>>
>>961075
Used to as a kid. Now I think it's dumb.
>>
>>961075
Yeah I have been fasting every ramadan for like the last 5 years.
After two months it will begin again.
>>
>>961555
Assalamu alaykum
>>
>>961563
Aleyküm selam mate
>>
>>961555
alkaidu alkhbar
>>
Nah, my religion is against it.
>>
Yes, for three days once.
Islamic "fasting" is useless, like wow you feast at night you poor soul
Was a great experience.
>>
>>961573
Allahu ekber*
>>
>>961570
It's funny. Even though I'm not Turkish, I imagine any other Muslims I come across here as Turks.
>>
>>961622
Why though ?
There are anons from all over the world here.
>>
>>961642
Yeah, I don't know why. Just do, for some reason.
>>
>>961555
Muslims out, you terrorist.
>>
YOM KIPPUR, MOTHERFUCKERS
>>
>>961075
I fast every year for Yom Kippur. I enjoy the challenge, but the main reason is that my mom is an illogical bitch who thinks she's Jewish because she observes the bare minimum of ceremonial requirements despite calling herself a monist and dabbling in Oprah-tier bastardized Buddhism and bitched at me when I told her I was an atheist. She wouldn't stop until I swallowed the bullshit idea that I was still a Jew despite not believing in G-d.
>>
>>962173
You and your mother sound neurotic
>>
>>962177
We both are. We also wear glasses and live in New York City.
>>
>>961075

Yeah, I used to.

Catholic fyi.
>>
I'm an edgy faggot who is a devout stirnerite and I unironically think religion is shit. But I have fasted during Ramadan multiple times before each time with positive results. I remember the first time I fasted I stopped eating junk food with zero willpower required (including afterwards)
>>
Nah. I just fast because I'm poor as fuck.
>>
>>961075

Yes, regularly.
>>
>Going without food for a fast day

Pretty easy

>Going without water for a fast day

Now getting a bit tough

>Going without caffeine for a fast day

Please, just let me die.
>>
>>962448
Exact opposite for me.

Can easily make it through the day without caffeine.
Water is getting a bit tougher.
Food? That's a bitch.
>>
>>961075

Yeah. My mom's church used to have a bible study and hosted it at our house. One year they did a passover like thing here and my mom said I could participate if I gave up meat for a week. Wasn't that hard, and the lamb at the end was worth it. I'd just get the lamb, put it in the bread, and dip it in the salt water.

Good stuff. Not even religious.
Thread posts: 51
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.