[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Pirates

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 64
Thread images: 15

let's take a break from the world wars and the crusades and have a pirate thread
>>
Finally someone made this thread so I don't have to.
>>
>>941517
Why couldn't you make it yourself?
>>
>>941502
Yo ho ho me mateys. This thread now be only in pirate talk.

Ye should be giving this post an upvote if ye agree
>>
>>941525
I could, I'm just lazy and have trouble getting a debate going.
>>
I think you'll need to provide some topics or an introduction to the age of piracy.

pic unrelated
>>
File: Relief_Sherden_Breasted_2.jpg (71KB, 467x490px) Image search: [Google]
Relief_Sherden_Breasted_2.jpg
71KB, 467x490px
WHO WERE THE SEA PEOPLE?
>>
>>941533
Gypsies (read: Sardinians).
>>
>>941528
Where did this stereotypical accent of colonial era pirates come from?
>>
>>941538
>>941528
pirates spoke regularly for the times, did they not?
>>
>>941538
colonial era pirates
>>
>>941538
Probably treasure island and other "historical" fiction that looked back at piracy romantically.
>>
>>941538
>>941543
>>941545
According to the interwebs, it's a West Country Accent and it was first associated with pirates in the Disney version of Treasure Island.
>>
>>941538
Disney.
>>
>>941538
The Jews
>>
>>941572
Ironically correct.

Also why does every media portray them as random bandits? Some of the Caribbean pirates were Jacobite rebels who wanted to restore Stuart dynasty in Britain.
>>
>>941543
Sure, but they had their own jargon

I can't say whether any non-contemporary depictions are accurate

>>941577
Because its a more straightforward, easily digestible story
I wish there was more attention to the background of pirates, like with mutinies or pirates convincing sailors (who lived in, and I emphasize, SHIT conditions), or shipped slaves, to join them on their adventures
Poor opportunists who had access to the sea/ships, basically.
"Buccaneers" were European settlers in the Caribbean who hunted feral Old World animals (the word comes from a French term for barbecuing), and later decided to rob anchored Spanish ships cause hey, there's a cunt-tonne of gold/silver moving around

There is a similar storyline I've come across: English gentleman/naval officer, for mysterious reason that are revealed, has left proper life and become a pirate
>>
>>941577
>Some of the Caribbean pirates were Jacobite rebels who wanted to restore Stuart dynasty in Britain.
Sounds kind of like they were the slacktivists of their times:
>"Let's restore the Stuart dynasty"
>How?
>By stealing stuff!
>>
>>941502
Are there any movies about this fucker right here?
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jan_Janszoon
If not there should be
>>
>>941502
Aren't the Knights of Rhodes/Malta crusader pirates?
>>
>>941502
Arrrrgh!

Jus the thread fer me!
>>
>>941758
Well it's not like it's unheard of, Stalin partially funded the revolution by literally robbing banks.
>>
Recommended reading.
>>
File: lizzie.jpg (224KB, 800x600px) Image search: [Google]
lizzie.jpg
224KB, 800x600px
>>942304
yep. They teamed up with pirates to save the world by destroying the fountain of youth

at least that's what AoE 3 taught me
>>
>>941742
They came from diverse backgrounds, some were former poor sailors, some were escaped slaves and some were actually rich people who thought piracy might be fun, think Stede Bonnett (for some reason reason AC4 depicted him as a stuttering emasculated neckbeard).
>>
>>942326
Wait, the fat whiny sugar fucker was a real person? I thought he was one of the made up historical figures.
>>
>>942423
He was a wealthy guy who became a pirate.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stede_Bonnet
>>
>>942423
>>942449
Also, most of the characters in AC4 actually existed but accounts are severely altered by that Templar-Assassin bullshit. Woodes Rogers, Anne Bonny, Mary Read, Blackbeard, Hornigold, Charles Vane, all real people.

Interestingly enough the most significant pirate, Sam Bellamy, isn't present, probably because they based the protagonist on him.
>>
>>941502
annotated bibliography on pirates
http://pastebin.com/2hR28y8m
>>
>>941502
Daily reminder the Carribbean piracy scene was a short lived shitshow compared to the true home of piracy: Southeast Asia/South Asia.
>>
>>942480
East Asian piracy was the best

Fucking chinese pirate dynasties and rogue samurai errywhere

I can't remember the name but there was some epic battle in the early modern SEA that looked almost unreal

Pirates, adventurers, warrior monks, european swashbucklers/musketeers, samurai, flips, indian and african mercenaries all taking sides and battling it out for 2 rival buddhist-hindu kingdoms.
>>
File: Murakami Pirate Castle.jpg (988KB, 2933x2081px) Image search: [Google]
Murakami Pirate Castle.jpg
988KB, 2933x2081px
>>942480
The a pretty unfair comparison given how Asian Pirates were veritable floating lords.
-Chinese admirals gone rogue and taking half the Chinese fleet with them and forming pirate kingdoms.
-Japanese ronin
-KEK A FUCKING JAPANESE DAIMYO-PIRATE
-Literally everyone in Island Southeast Asia was born a pirate (save for Javans I guess). They're like fucking vikings down there.

They're not like the isolated enterprises of the Caribbean. Piracy is often a hundred ship enterprise down there.
>>
>>942480
True home of piracy was the Barbary coast, faggot.

>literally enslaving 2 million Europeans
>plaguing the Mediterranean and the Atlantic for centuries
>powerful empires had to pay them tribute until France finally had enough and annexed Algeria in the 19th century
>>
this one niggah Edward Lowe..he cut off this one dudes lips and made him cook and eat them. some of these guys went truly to any length to spread terror...and im sure some no doubt liked it 2.
>>
>>942486
Sounds like something out of anime.
>>
>>942498
I'm gonna explode if I can't remember the name of the battle
>>
File: Celebes Sea Pirates.jpg (31KB, 550x419px) Image search: [Google]
Celebes Sea Pirates.jpg
31KB, 550x419px
>>942491
Ah, another short lived operation.
>>
>>942500
It was the Burmese-Thai War.

And not all the participants were pirates, some were sent in an official capacity by Spain/Portugal/Japan. The rest were pirates going merc.
>>
>>942492
That guy was a fag. Henry Avery was the best pirate ever.

>successfully raided the biggest treasure fleet of its era belonging to the Great Mughal
>enslaved and sold hundreds of people
>ultimate menace of 3 different continents
>tricked the governor of Nassau into buying his ship and helping him hide
>despite the first worldwide manhunt in history, he was never captured
>his actions triggered the golden age of piracy
>>
>>942491
Barbary pirate is weird, wasnt they were some sort of ottoman vassals or something, hell the ottoman grand admiral was a barbary pirate if remember right.

also there was this one dutch guy who gets kidnapped, converted to islam, became the captain of barbary pirate fleet and raided iceland, shits weird
>>
>>942519
Even the US had to pay them tribute until Jefferson went buttmad and attacked them, making it the first overseas American military action.
>>
>>942503
It's the impact that counts, not the longevity.
>>
>>942529
Im sure the pirates who got BTFO appreciated their impact.
>>
>>942531
Caribbean piracy actually still exists but its modern impact is minimal.
>>
>>942519
There was also a guy from iceland i think who got enslaved. He converted to Islam and became master of cavalry. Then his lord got BTFO by another and slave guy fucked a woman who was curious about christianity. He got relesead and returned home.

There was a series of programs here in Denmark about the white salvery and this was one of the episodes.
>>
File: Bristol_Rovers_F.C._logo.svg.png (164KB, 946x1024px) Image search: [Google]
Bristol_Rovers_F.C._logo.svg.png
164KB, 946x1024px
>>941552
poor old irrelevant Bristol Rovers
>>
File: Union-jack.jpg (37KB, 500x342px) Image search: [Google]
Union-jack.jpg
37KB, 500x342px
which is the best pirate flag and why is this rag??
>>
File: dhdfgrt.png (373KB, 578x506px) Image search: [Google]
dhdfgrt.png
373KB, 578x506px
>>941502
MMM, BOYS!
>>
>>941758
Proto BLM
>>
>>943527
BLM is honestly a bunch of useless faggots.
>>
>>943536
They've got people off of the fence but not interested in dialog
>>
File: image.png (7KB, 457x321px) Image search: [Google]
image.png
7KB, 457x321px
>>942953
Blackbeard. A skeleton toasting the devil with a goblet of wine and stabbing a heart
>>
Yo ho ho
>>
I know there was a Golden Age of Pirates in the 18th century, when we had pirates with supernatural abilities all trying to find the One Piece.
>>
>>944155
HE TOOK A BITE OF GUM GUM
>>
>>941538
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mVL5ykrfxnM
>>
aargh, bump
>>
I'm curious about pirates, settlement patterns, and the internal economy in the Caribbean mostly.
>>
>>942458
see
>>947374
>>
>>942527
At one point, the Barbary asked the US for $1 million in tribute.
This was at the end of the 18th century, and apparently amounted to 1/6th of the US government budget
>>
>>947374
Up until 1715 or so pirates got a lot of support from the colonies in North America and the Caribbean especially. The belief at the time was that gold and silver had inherent value and that a place's economic power depended on its bullion stock, which Britain, France, and Spain were draining out of the colonies. Pirates were the best way to get bullion. Also, monopolies kept luxury goods very expensive so the colonial elites turned to pirates for many of those things

The "golden age" of piracy began basically because the EIC and other companies lost their monopolies on certain goods around 1700, so colonists' demands could be met legally and they stopped letting pirates do business in or retire into their cities. The remaining pirates were fucked so they just went full REEEEEE and started attacking everyone

>>942953
Though the best pirate (Avery) used that flag, I'd say Roberts' was best aesthetically
>A Barbadian's Head
>A Martiniquian's Head
>>
>>942509
Do you know which war specifically? They had around 20 between the 16th and 19th centuries and I've read a few of their articles on Wikipedia but I can't find anything about Japs or Portuguese.
>>
>>947374
I already recommended a book >>942315
>>
>>941742
Empire of Blue Water is a very nice book on the subj. anon.
Thread posts: 64
Thread images: 15

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.