[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Nationalism

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 1

File: 53424324324.jpg (297KB, 1280x1013px) Image search: [Google]
53424324324.jpg
297KB, 1280x1013px
How can any American citizen claim to support/embrace nationalism when the country itself is founded upon immigrants and diversity?

That is, if nationalism is about preserving a certain cultural identity, how does that work when the country itself is based on various cultures and ethnicities to begin with?
>>
You must never have read a high school politics textbook.

There are two types of nationalism, inclusive and exclusive nationalism.

Nationalism in countries like Japan is exclusive nationalism, which is ethnicity based. Even if you live there all your life, if you weren't born as an ethnic Japanese, you will never be truly accepted as Japanese.

Nationalism in nations like the United States is inclusive, civic, nationalism. The nation is not an ethnic one, but one based off shared ideals. As long as you pledge allegiance to the US flag, believe in the constitution and American ideals, you are American, no matter what ethnicity or religion you practice.

The reason why patriotism is so fierce in the US, why they have the flag saluting in schools, is to hammer this into people from a young age. Civic nationalism can fall apart more easily than ethnic nationalism, so there has to be a very strong uniting force to make people feel they are AMERICAN first and christian, muslim, black, white second.

Even in the united states, while that was de jure, there was a de facto opinion from a fairly large part of the population that the US was ethnonationalism where only WASPs were true Americans, despite this not being the founding principles of the US.
>>
>>938360
>>938372
The irony is OP posted a picture of inclusive nationalism.
>>
>>938360
Nationalism isn't necessarily ethnic. The most basic trait of nationalism is the belief in the right of a political unity of people to self govern - the self-determination of nations.
Plenty of enlightenment authors saw nations as groups based solely on a conscious choice of their members. Then you had several later, more right-wing nationalist authors who despite upholding the ethnic unity, still claimed that national identity was a "daily plebiscite" where a person would decide on their identity.
Then you have the example of orleanist nationalism from your picture, where the French nation was largely equated with the French middle and upper classes, regardless of the fact that they shared their ethnic background with the rest of the people.

tl;dr: ethnic nation doesn't necessarily equal a political nation.
>>
>>938372
My point is that aren't only Native Americans 'true' Americans? Even if you disagree and deny this, wouldn't it be hypocritical on your* part?

You/your not meaning you specifically anon...collective 'you'
>>
>>938372
Also OP's question shatters at the word
>diversity

No when immigrants came over they were not expected to be "diverse" they were expected to be American. That means learning the language, custom, values, and putting the nation ahead of your former culture and your current race.

There is no country on earth that has the policy "everyone should come in...and just do what they always did"
>>
>>938387
No, why would it? Native Americans didn't create the institutions that allow inclusive American nationalism to exist. Native Americans weren't ever called by one name until Europeans showed up and started distinguishing between those within Western legal institutions and those outside of them.
American nationalism is not tied to any particular group of people, there is no 'true' American nation outside of the people who defend and uphold the Constitution. That's the essence of nationalism, more than anything: it's about reverence to a certain institutional framework as being best for a certain group of people.
>>
>>938397
Language sure.

But
>American customs
Aaaand this would be?

>There is no country on earth that has the policy "everyone should come in...and just do what they always did"
Because most countries on earth are not America: entirely artificial products of colonization. There's nothing "local" about American culture.
>>
>>938452
>Aaaand this would be?
Respect for the rule of law and the rights of individuals, separation of church and state, etc. The things Americans have always really wanted.
>There's nothing "local" about American culture
How much time have you spent in America? I live 100 miles from New York and I despise New Yorkers, and I know plenty of people who do. America is full of localities that exist because a "colonial" framework (federalism, for example) allows them to exist alongside each other.
America doesn't exist outside of space and time.
>>
>>938486
>America doesn't exist outside of space and time.
True, you're just European western culture copy-pasted on a non-western continent.

This BTFO the very basis of having to "integrate" to American culture: you have none.
>>
Melting pot is the exact opposite of diversity and multikulti.
>>
>>938387
The concept of America was created by white people. As far as we're concerned the Indians were just wildlife.
>>
>>938360
>What is Patriotism
>>
>>938360
There are many types of nationalism. Civic nationalism, ethnic nationalism, religious nationalism, etc.
>>
>>938497
I don't see why being copy-pasted = not existing.
Modern European culture is just American culture cuntpasted over the continent that sent culture to America in the first place.
My argument isn't based on a vaguely defined notion of culture, it's based on particular values and customs associated with Americans.
You can fuck right off if you can't discern that.
>>
>>938497
There isn't a society on earth that doesn't have a culture. Even Canada has a distinct culture unique to it.
>>
>>938486
>I live 100 miles from New York and I despise New Yorkers, and I know plenty of people who do.

That's called butthurt my hick friend :^)
>>
>>938632
It means that American "culture" is inferior to any Western European culture. American culture depends on Western European but not the other way around.
>>
>>938654
>inferior to any Western European culture
>"Western European"
>One culture
Your a special kind of retarded aren't you?
Thread posts: 19
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.