[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

/latin/

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 28
Thread images: 3

File: augustus.jpg (58KB, 366x488px) Image search: [Google]
augustus.jpg
58KB, 366x488px
Where do I start learning Latin? I''m looking into Wheelock atm, but I've heard it's bad for reading more than paragraph-long passages
>>
I've heard lingua latina per se illustrata is a good way to get reading experience.
>>
>>930207
You are not supposed to start out by reading all of Cicero. You start out with small building blocks, for which Wheelock's is good enough.
I would recommend Cambridge though.
>>
https://desustorage.org/his/thread/787183/#787522
https://desustorage.org/his/thread/787183/#787586
>>
File: 1393080497511.jpg (870KB, 986x1369px) Image search: [Google]
1393080497511.jpg
870KB, 986x1369px
>>931302
I agree with you about Cicero, but there are ancient authors that even beginners can grasp and enjoy.
OP is probably going to want some kind of text that teaches the grammar, but if he wanted to read ancient text right out the gate Caesar's Gallic Wars are a good place to start imo. After that mb Horace.

I'd skip Catullus though, he's a total cuck.
>>
>>931674
>>931674
Ur mom's a cuck
>>
If you're a beginner read Caesar. He has a very essential style and language, he's the first author you learn to translate in high school
If you are completely inexperienced get a grammar book and study that
>>
Work through Wheelock's Latin with the workbook and Scribblers, Scvlptors, and Scribes to gain a basic understanding of Latin. The two books are designed to accompany Wheelock's Latin chapter by chapter. Then work through Wheelock's Latin Reader for an intermediate understanding of Latin. With your acquired intermediate understanding you should be able to read primary Latin texts, look up any words you don't know (I like to use Wiktionary).

There's other books made to accompany Wheelock's Latin but the ones I mentioned are all by the same author.

After lots of reading you will eventually have an expert understanding.
>>
http://lingualatina.dk/wp/
It's available for pirating as well.
Teaches you how to speak Latin.
>>
>>930207
depends: do you want to read it or speak it?

if it's just reading buy a vocabulary ( a real one at least 1000 pages) and a grammar start with declination and verbs, while translting short passagges
>>
>go to youtube
>search "latin interview"
>cc english
>watch for two hours everyday
>????
>profit!
>>
Unless you are going to use for your career e.g, a medievalist) not sure it's worth it.
It's sort of...don't know how to explain what it's like to read an entire sentence where the verb can be thrown in anywhere the author felt like it.
You really need to start it in pre-school/kindergarten to ever truly grasp it IMO. To think, 100 years ago you needed to be able to write Latin and Greek very well to even graduate from Harvard/Yale.
The current generation of students are busy having mottoes and seals changed that they cannot read anyway.
>>
>>933636
I am a Classics student with a major in Classical Greek and I don't think it's that hard.

I mean it is hard, but learning a language is hard by default. It's all about how you use your time, and how much you practice.

Tbqh, it might even be more difficult to learn a modern living language because you need to learn to pronounce things properly as well.
>>
>>930207
Why Europe even don't have Latvia size shithole for Great Latin Nation?
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r5UPjPrNbT0&list=PLE2082980BC4165A8&index=1

This guy has a particularly innovative way of teaching you Latin, he teaches Latin... IN Latin.
>>
>>933716
Speaking from experience, that might get you to a certain level, but after a while it won't really do you much good.
>>
File: daffy.jpg (3KB, 125x125px) Image search: [Google]
daffy.jpg
3KB, 125x125px
>>932696
Catullus' tribute to your mom:

cum suis vivat valeatque moechis,
quos simul complexa tenet trecentos,
nullum amans vere, sed identidem omnium
ilia rumpens.
>>
>>930207
Why do you want to learn a dead language?
>>
>>933867
Why not?

Somebody has to learn them, else they will be lost forever.
>>
>>933920
Unless you are learning Latin to translate ancient Roman texts, records, books, and what not, there is no other reason to learn it.
>>
>>933974
So what you're essentially saying is that there's no point learning languages at all, ever, unless you're going to use it to translate things in a professional context.
>>
>>934016
Not languages in general, just specifically Latin.
>>
>>934038
>Not languages in general

Why?
>>
>>934062
Why not?
>>
>>933841
Quoting Latin? How intellectual, it still won't bring back your toga party.
>>
I'm learning Latin because Sherlock Holmes knows a bit of Latin.
>>
>>935157
Me too.
>>
I'm learning because I'm Roman Catholic and I need to learn what they're saying in Mass.

Is there a difference from religious Latin and basic Latin?
Thread posts: 28
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.