[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Why doesn't the US use the metric system?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 56
Thread images: 8

File: 2016-04-03_02-49-33.png (577KB, 1822x911px) Image search: [Google]
2016-04-03_02-49-33.png
577KB, 1822x911px
Why doesn't the US use the metric system?
>>
>>929582
Fahrenheit is a much more specific way to measure temperature which is deemed necessary due to the wide diversity of extreme and moderate climates within America.
This problem could be solved if Americans just learned to use decimals, but let's leave it at that.
For other measurements, America was already too accustomed to the pound/inch/whatever system to change it and unlike other countries, wasn't pressured to change for trading purposes for whatever reason.
>>
>>929582
No reason to
Fuck every other country
>>
>>929681
Considering most of the civilized world understands ice, Celsius is better.
>>
>>929704
Damn son that's cold
>>
File: EnA4CvN.jpg (63KB, 720x466px) Image search: [Google]
EnA4CvN.jpg
63KB, 720x466px
Its for wildly inaccurate nigger tier "science"
>>
Because of the insane cost of the infrastructural changes needed to change systems.
>>
>>929681
>>929948
>>929687
dumb

>>929978
smart
>>
I'm an American and I use Celsius when for my weather app on my phone. I try to fit other metric units into my life as well when I can. It's the superior system to Imperial.
>>
>>929681
We weren't pressured mostly because we weren't invaded by Napoleon or colonized by a country that was invaded by Napoleon or dependent on those countries for trade, which 3 categories cover almost all of the rest of the world.
>>
File: 1459650221753.gif (1MB, 300x242px) Image search: [Google]
1459650221753.gif
1MB, 300x242px
>>929978
>logic
>on my 4chan

/his/ has got to go
>>
File: uk-flag-official-colours.gif (15KB, 1800x1080px) Image search: [Google]
uk-flag-official-colours.gif
15KB, 1800x1080px
>invents imperial system
>ditches it for French system instead
HON'D
>>
>>929582
We had too much built using the old systems already by the time other countries began to change, and as long as we are a rich nation, countries that export to us will be willing to change measurements for us.
>>
>>929978
most people that need to deal with Celsius learn it already.
>>
File: king-henrys-foot.jpg (62KB, 500x374px) Image search: [Google]
king-henrys-foot.jpg
62KB, 500x374px
>>930096
This, even the brits managed to convert for the most part.
>>
>>929978
This, although I still think Farenheit should stay.
>>
Imperial is superior to metric when it comes to construction and woodworking
>>
>>929582
We do, it's absolutely required to know whenever you go into any STEM field, it's just not something that is used in conversation or on traffic signs.
>>
>>929582
The real answer is that its too expensive, and their is no overwhelming need for it
>>
The better question is why Burma and Liberia still use it.
>>
>>931668
This. I've worked in manufacturing, and when it comes down to it, I'd take Imperial over metric any day.
Metric for theory
Imperial for practice

Also, as a /fit/izen a few rules of thumb only work when using Imperial

>1 gram of protein and fat for each pound of lean body mass, rest of calories from carbs
>1 ounce of water for every 2 pounds you weigh
>>
>>931691
Wasn't Liberia one of America's colonies?
>>
Which one is more practical in space?
>>
>>931694
Not officially, Liberia was established in the 1830s by the non-governmental "American Colonization Society" as a place for free blacks and former slaves to migrate to rather than stay in America. It was never an official US colony but it did have the support of the US government in general.

Burma was never an American colony though.
>>
>>931691

They love their former masters.

COLONIZED
>>
>>930123
You say that, yet I and many others I know still use inches, stone, lb and ft a lot
>>
File: fucktards.jpg (32KB, 600x327px) Image search: [Google]
fucktards.jpg
32KB, 600x327px
see pic.
>>
>>929978
I'm sure the us could afford it if they didn't spend so much on military
>>
I've never been convinced by the "America can't change becaues it's too entrenched, too big and it would cost too much" argument. Why is that specifically American - surely it would apply to other large nations as well that have already converted to metric?

>>930123
>>930096
>>932888
Britain is absolutely fucking bizarre, and I say that as a Brit.

We tried to change to metric, but got stuck half way through. So now everyone uses a hybrid mix of imperial and metric.

We have miles on road signs. And a lot of people use "stone" for their weight. But we use milligrams and litres for measuring food and liquids. We use metres and not yards when describing dimensions of objects.

I have no idea how this happened, I suspect we encountered the same problems the USA would if it tried to change, the older generation just can't adapt and don't want to.

We really should finish the job and convert fully to metric, it would make things a lot easier for us, and when dealing with our European brothers.
>>
>>931668
Inches are too big of a unit, being able to easily split up a centimeter into ten parts is a godsend for any kind of work that requires precision.
>>
>>932955
>I've never been convinced by the "America can't change becaues it's too entrenched, too big and it would cost too much" argument. Why is that specifically American - surely it would apply to other large nations as well that have already converted to metric?
Which nations that are as large as America successfully converted to metric? Remember that America is a huge and diverse country with a large population and a pretty inefficient education system. Even though literally everyone learns metric in school, they still prefer imperial due to inertia and tradition, and you even stated in your post that this problem isn't unique to America, even Britain hasn't fully adopted metric yet. Hell even China which had an authoritarian regime in place when they decided to convert still can't get everyone on metric, and they still have laws for Chinese measurements. It seems to me that converting to metric is pretty difficult unless you pussywhipped by Le Petit Caporal.
>>
>>932955
>But we use milligrams and litres for measuring food and liquids
on labels maybe, but in general terms people will still say lbs and pints rather than metric. Shit, I know people who still use hundredweights.
>a lot of people use stone
you mean literally everyone
>>
>>932952
>Wanting us to stop military spending
What, so you can invade us?
AMERICA STRONK
>>
>>933013
Pretty much all of South America managed to switch to metric. And South America is basically just a poorer, even crappier version of the US.
>>
>>933040
I live in London, no one I know uses lbs or pints for anything other than beer glases. Could be a regional thing?
>>
>>933117
What about buying pints of milk?
>>
>>929978
they actually already partially did that without imploding.
>>
The cost of replacing/editing all road signs/mile markers is substantial in addition to other's comments.
>>
>>931692
>1 gram for each half kilo;
>30 ml for every kilo;
>>
>>933169
I like how people actually believe this meme. Its almost like they think road signs dont get replaced over time.
>>
>>929582
It would be hideously expensive to change standards in a country as large as the US.
>>
>>933080
All of South America had the benefit of being under French Hegemony at one point. Remember that none of the colonies had broken off of Spain when Napoops took it over.
>>
>>932952
Military spending is the best card in the USA's dick measuring contest, their whole country will collapse before they cut it. It's about prestige.
>>
>>933126
somethings just cant change
>>
>>929681
>Fahrenheit is a much more specific way to measure temperature
No it isn't
>>
>>931668
>woodworking
Le 19th century posting
>>
>>929582
The US System of measurement has been invented in the first world war since the germans couldn't easily decipher what exactly the distance of a mile or a feet was when spying on their radios
>>
File: 1458093782199.jpg (146KB, 831x640px) Image search: [Google]
1458093782199.jpg
146KB, 831x640px
>>
>>933013
Russia
Brazil
China
Germany

Pretty much most of them.
>>
>>933516
>Russia
Communists, also country had a 3rd of the population and it was mostly located in one area
>Brazil
Napoleon
>China
Many areas still use Chinese units
>Germany
Napoleon

The only large populous diverse nation to fully adopt the Metric system without some fuckery by an extremist political party or Napoleon was India, and honestly I'd say that was mostly due to anti-British sentiment.
>>
>>933512
...using the metric system for their calculations.
>>
>>933568
>Many areas still use Chinese units
Except for standardized measurements demanded by scientific/government/medical/official entities.

Traditional Chinese measurements are used in contextual shit like
>Buying an X number of something from the market
>Giving ballpark figures
>Measurements in traditional Chinese medicine.
>Measurements for traditional arts and crafts since many of those work off old instructions.
>>
>>929582
because we hold on to our Sumerian roots
>>
File: 141127osbornepmqs.gif (2MB, 287x257px) Image search: [Google]
141127osbornepmqs.gif
2MB, 287x257px
>>932952
oh snap
>>
>>933751
NASA used imperial units until around 1990 when they switched because everyone else complained so much
>>
>>933568
>in one area

That "one area" is almost as big as the US.
Thread posts: 56
Thread images: 8

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.