[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What is the soul? Does it exist?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 2

File: plato-head-shot.jpg (75KB, 600x400px) Image search: [Google]
plato-head-shot.jpg
75KB, 600x400px
What is the soul? Does it exist?
>>
>>905926
No
>>
He meant mind, but in a more general sense when he talks about the soul. Like a person's character or life.
>>
>>905926
Its a nice abstract concept that fills the holes in a lot of beautiful and intricate metaphysical and idealistic systems
>>
>>905926
In my understanding soul is an old word for consciousness. Science doesn't fully understand consciousness yet but we tend to think of it somehow being generated by the brain.
>>
File: imgpsh_fullsize.jpg (45KB, 768x768px) Image search: [Google]
imgpsh_fullsize.jpg
45KB, 768x768px
>>905926
"Soul" or variations thereof are usually defined as non-material "things" that animate human life. Short of word games and semantic arguments there is no empirical evidence for anything non-material animating the human body in this way, or any other body for that matter. Substance dualism belongs in the dustbin of history with other antiquated notions like manichaeism and the flat-earth theory.

/nofunallowed
/noplatonistsallowed
>>
>>906388
>no physical evidence for non-physical phenomenon

all my lels
>>
>>906410
he said empirical, not physical
>>
>>905926
Yes
>>
>>906410
>non-physical phenomenon
>still somehow the cause of physical phenomena like people talking about qualia
my kingdom for my sides
>>
>>905926
>What is the soul?
Depends on who you're asking. It's meant different things to different people. Some cultures believe in one soul per person, others believe in several per person, for others the soul is more fluid and transient, some think it is a word for any kind of "Being" including inanimate objects... the list goes on and on.

I think the universal quality of all conceptions of the soul however, is that it is meant to refer to the "essence". It's a concept you can play around with and attribute to anything.
>>
Nah. Special snowflakism is always retarded.
>>
>What is the soul?
Human invention.

>Does it exist?
Probably not. No reason for it to exist, consciousness is fully explained by neuron activity, and there is no field by which the soul would interact with the brain anyway.
>>
>>905926
Software to our body's hardware.
>>
>>907338
>Consciousness is fully explained
>Implication
>>
>>908309
Yes. Do you think there's a single part of consciousness that cannot at least in principle be explained by neural activity?
>>
>>906426
there is no observing the non-physical
well, there's introspection, but i'm pretty sure that's not a valid empirical method.
>>
>>908293

Isn't that just our minds?
>>
>>905926

Anyone who gives you any other answer but ''We don't know'' to the question of
>Does it exist?
Is giving you shit, and you should not take shit.
>>
>>908316
You're speaking out of your ass. Read any neuroscience book you ignoramus. I recommend the Future of the Mind by Michio Kaku.
>>
>>906388
Pretty much this. The problem of mind-body interaction is still completely unsolved, and thus fatal problem for substance dualism. If you want to understand the soul not as a magical "spark of life" or "spirit", but simply as the mind, then obviously it exists because minds obviously exist.
>>
>>908841
>quantum magic pseudopopscience rag
>>
>>908316
how about the causes for why i think you're a faggot?
Thread posts: 23
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.