[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Who was the most insane ruler in history?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 102
Thread images: 14

Who was the most insane ruler in history?
>>
Wasn't there some roman emperor who was pants on head retarded and crazy?
>>
>>866491
>Caligula
>Tiberius
>Nero
The list could go on.
>>
Trump
>>
Ne Win might be up there. Like when he banned 50 and 100 Kyat notes, and instead printed 45 and 90 Kyat notes, because he thought 9 was lucky.
He would also trample on meat and shoot his reflection to trick evil spirits into thinking he was dead
>>
>>866496
That's actually most of them. Caracalla was also a fucking whackjob.
>>
>>866491
Maybe you're thinking of Elagabalus? Arguably the least capable ruler like, ever.
>>
>>866496
>Caligula
Wasn't really all that nuts. He just loved making mocking points and undermining the Senate's power, and ended up making a lot of enemies who wrote nasty shit about him.
>>
>>866580
This, finally someone that knows history.
>>
>>866580
I'd argue that openly making enemies of the Senate and Rome's most powerful citizens is pretty fucking insane. Not textbook insane, but still. Ballsy to the point of madness.
>>
>>866549
Don't forget about reversing the side they drive because astrologers tell him to move to the right.
>>
>>866597

It was the only way of diminishing a rivals power without having to assassinate him or confiscate property. You can to remember that Caligula had no experience in government and was mostly popular with the people because of his father Germanicus. Mocking and humiliating political rivals was a more subtle way than outright arresting them like Tiberius did during his treason trials
>>
>>866496

Tiberius was a capable administrator but lacked the same teeth as Augustus (the same way Tim Cook will never be an equal to Steve Jobs) Nero suffered alot of the same image problems as Caligula (young, inexperienced, born to the purple), the Flavians had to destroy his image to legitimize their own rule and get rid of the idea of a Julio-Claudian dynasty as the only legitimate rulers of Rome
>>
>>866672
>get rid of the idea of a Julio-Claudian dynasty as the only legitimate rulers of Rome

WE WUZ TROJANS N SHIET
>>
>>866660
That's entirely true, which is why I used the qualifier ballsy. The guy definitely knew what he was about, and stuck to it. He was definitely better than Tiberius or Caracalla in that regard.
>>
The former dictator of Kazakhstan
>>
>>866457
I'm going to have to say Elizabeth Bathory, since we are specifically talking about insanity.
>>
>>866580
>used a large portion of the cities merchant fleet to make a bridge and put on a fancy parade
>not that crazy

I might be getting I, Claudius and my actual history mixed up but I'm PRETTY SURE he atleast did something similar to this
>>
>>868082
Saparmurat Niyazov is from Turkmenistan.
>>
I think It was Lodewijk XVI (the last king of France)
being king at the age of 5, he was the most greedy, insane guy.
>>
>>868521
>Lodewijk
Are you Dutch?
>>
>>866457
Ivan the Terrible. He was a raving lunatic late in life and even while he was young he went around with gangs of thugs raping and murdering his own people. Also beat his own son to death with a cane; this list goes on and on
>>
>>868521
niemand kan je verstaan homo
>>
>>868442

What you are missing is context, the senate refused to give him a triumph (a big fuck you to him and the army) so he pulled his parade right onto the town that held most of their vacation homes, let the soldiers party/ransack the town for a few days before marching them back (his fuck you back at the senate)

This was of course before Domitian era Emperorship when the Princeps wasn't even a real office but a collection of powers that had been held by various offices during the republican era. First among equals isn't the same as Diocletians "lord and master"
>>
>>866496
Tiberius was actually a very competent ruler but just too dour and introverted than what was socially accepted. His sadism or political trials didnt exactly improve his popularity however.

Nero was a spoiled and incompetent emperor who breaked social customs and stigmas rather than rule. He was however extremely popular with the common folks and lower classes. He was also way to easy to influense as he couldnt stand not being popular.

My pick would be Elagabalus as he was just a weird fucker.
>>
>>868701
There is a theory that Augustus actually intended Tiberius to fold the office of princeps and return to republican rule (hence Tiberius adamantly refusing offices and honors from the senate) . What he didn't expect was that after 40 years of Augustian rule, the senate would become so inept and incapable of ruling while an entire generation has grown up with no living concept of a Roman republic and simply dissolving the Principate would be a complete disaster.
>>
>>868784
That seems strange, considering how desperate Augustus was in attempting to maintain a dynasty of efficent Princeps
>>
Elagabalus
He actually thought he was a woman. a slut one at that.
>>
hard mode: no roman emperors
>>
File: Disappointed Harold.jpg (66KB, 640x848px) Image search: [Google]
Disappointed Harold.jpg
66KB, 640x848px
>>866457
>Later historians suggest Elagabalus showed a disregard for Roman religious traditions and sexual taboos. He replaced the traditional head of the Roman pantheon, Jupiter, with the deity of whom he was high priest, Elagabal. He forced leading members of Rome's government to participate in religious rites celebrating this deity, over which he personally presided. Elagabalus was married as many as five times, lavished favours on male courtiers popularly thought to have been his lovers,[3][4] and was reported to have prostituted himself in the imperial palace.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Elagabalus
>>
>>868521
Hollander gedetecteerd
>>
File: 1422426916449.jpg (86KB, 321x460px) Image search: [Google]
1422426916449.jpg
86KB, 321x460px
>>868864
>you will never be ordered to take the emperor's boipussy to prove your loyalty
>>
>>868864
>>868999

Highly recommended
>>
File: 1444000072330-int.jpg (130KB, 465x600px) Image search: [Google]
1444000072330-int.jpg
130KB, 465x600px
>>868572
>>
Bismark
He tried to make Germans a respectable people.
The absolute madman.
>>
Djenghis Khan
>>
>>866457
Caligula has to be up there, as should Antiochus Epiphenes IV and Nero.
>>
I honestly don't see Nero being insane. Delusional and spoiled, absolutely. He was just notoriously incompetent and selfish, and was given absolute power at a very young age. He didn't do anything that was super outlandish, like stuff with Commodus or Elagabalus, he just did really really stupid childish shit.

Justin II was chained up in order to stop him from attacking and biting people. That's animalistic
>>
>>868521
He wasn't crazy, just spineless and a bit incompetent.

I actually feel kind of bad for him.
>>
>>866496
>Tiberius
t. Senatorial cuck
>>
Who's that king that was literally insane. He had some kind of severe psychiatric disorder.
>>
>>869612
He castrated the boy Sporus and actually tried to make a woman of him; and he married him with all the usual ceremonies, including a dowry and a bridal veil, took him to his home attended by a great throng, and treated him as his wife. And the witty jest that someone made is still current, that it would have been well for the world if Nero's father Domitius had had that kind of wife. This Sporus, decked out with the finery of the empresses and riding in a litter, he took with him to the courts and marts of Greece, and later at Rome through the Street of the Images, fondly kissing him from time to time. That he even desired illicit relations with his own mother, and was kept from it by her enemies, who feared that such a relationship might give the reckless and insolent woman too great influence, was notorious, especially after he added to his concubines a courtesan who was said to look very like Agrippina. Even before that, so they say, whenever he rode in a litter with his mother, he had incestuous relations with her, which were betrayed by the stains on his clothing (Suetonius, Nero, XXVIII
>>
>>869671
Suetonius was a tabloid column of a history, if there ever was one.
>>
>>866457
Honestly, the top 50 is mostly filled by various Chinese and Roman Emperors as well as their consorts and mothers.

There's just something about becoming Emperor that turns people insane.
>>
File: images.jpg (10KB, 247x204px) Image search: [Google]
images.jpg
10KB, 247x204px
>>866457
arguably hitler

i mean the dude was crazy

might have been the amphetamines tho
>>
>>866496
>Tiberius
Bullshit. He never wanted to be emperor or rule the Empire, and neither he nor Augustus saw eye to eye after Germanicus and his brother died; leaving him no direct blood heirs and only his stepson.

And the reason Tiberius and Augustus didn't see eye to eye was because the former never wanted to rule in the first place and more or less abdicated his rank, life style, and titles to live secluded from the Senate and Princep. The guy was an excellent administrator and ruler, he just had to follow Augustus up and the Senators, Equestrians and their ilk never stopped bad mouthing rulers like him and Cladius.

Also:

>Augustus makes him divorce Vipsania
>He encounters her again and follows her home crying and begging for her to take him back
>Augustus learns of this and takes "steps" to ensure Tiberius never sees his beloved again

Being Tiberus is suffering.
>>
>>869693
When your told you have just been named ruler of the civilized world you probably think you can get away with anything and when you realize you can do anything it probably fucks with your mind.
>>
>>869693
Lü Zhi, now declared the empress dowager when her son Liu Ying succeeded to the throne as Emperor Hui after Gaozu's death, commenced an inhumane plot against Consort Qi and Liu Ruyi (the emperor's half-brother and his mother.) She first had Qi arrested and treated her like a convict (dressed in prison garb, head shaved, and in stocks).

Emperor Hui (Liu Ying) kept Liu Ruyi by his side in the palace and checked for poison in any aliment delivered to him. Emperor Hui also brought Liu Ruyi with him wherever he went. One early morning, the emperor went on a hunting trip; this time Liu Ruyi was left alone because he would not wake up. Emperor Hui supposed his mother would not plot against Liu Ruyi as several months had passed without any occurrence. Nevertheless Empress Dowager Lü had an assassin force venom down Liu Ruyi's throat....She then had Concubine Qi's limbs chopped off, blinded her by gouging out her eyes, cut off her tongue and locked her in the latrine, and called her a "Human Swine". Several days after, Emperor Hui saw the "Human Swine", and after realising who the "Human Swine" was, the emperor was so sick of his mother's cruelty that he virtually relinquished his authority and indulged in carnal pleasures.
>>
>>869725
>buds with his half-brother
>Knows his mom wants to kill his half-brother
>decides to not take away his Mom's authority and money

This idiot was asking for his half-brother to die.
>>
>>869744
He openly foiled several assassinations attempts against Liu Ruyi and his half brothers but he was too much of a momma's boy to actually oppose her.
>>
File: 345212.jpg (22KB, 300x350px) Image search: [Google]
345212.jpg
22KB, 300x350px
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tvR-XP54iIg
>>
>>869658
>Who's that king that was literally insane. He had some kind of severe psychiatric disorder.

Elagabalus had gender disphoria, Charles VI of France thought he was made of glass, George III had some crazy disease and Henry VI of England was schizophrenic.

There were probably more monarchs that had mental disorders.
>>
>>869859
George III had mental issues after he started losing his favorite kids and grandkids.
>>
>>868521
but he only became king at 19
He wasn't insane either, not a very good king but not a bad person at all
he did some good reforms, IE abolishing torture and servage, but he became an enemy of the aristocrats, which was his end.
>>
>>868442
He also had his men invade the sea by attacking the water and brought back seashells as tribute claiming to have won a battle against Poseidon.
>>
sorta related, did Blucher really believe that he was pregnant with a baby elephant or was it one of those autistic german idioms that Wellington misunderstood?
>>
>>869930
Didn't they determine that he likely inherited a form of porphyria, a blood condition if undiagnosed can induce temporary moments of madness or loopiness? He apparently was fine in between these sessions, and it was likely that his ancestors had it as well.
>>
>>866549
>shoot his reflection to trick evil spirits into thinking he was dead

that's wise as fuck desu
>>
>>868521
> Last king of France
No. That's Louis Phillipe.
At the Congress of Vienna (after Napoleon's defeat) the world powers reinstituted Louis' brother.
>>
Hes not really a ruler, but he was pretty fucking high up. Beria seemed to be an absolute madman with the ladies.
>>
>>866457
I think that Chinese guy who killed absolutely everyone around, until the Manchu just moved in
>>
How has there been no mention of Qin Shi Huang?

>Later in his life, Qin Shi Huang feared death and desperately sought the fabled elixir of life, which would supposedly allow him to live forever. He was obsessed with acquiring immortality and fell prey to many who offered him supposed elixirs. He visited Zhifu Island three times in order to achieve immortality.

>n one case he sent Xu Fu, a Zhifu islander, with ships carrying hundreds of young men and women in search of the mystical Penglai mountain. They were sent to find Anqi Sheng, a 1,000-year-old magician whom Qin Shi Huang had supposedly met in his travels and who had invited him to seek him there. These people never returned, perhaps because they knew that if they returned without the promised elixir, they would surely be executed. Legends claim that they reached Japan and colonized it. It is also possible that the book burning, a purge on what could be seen as wasteful and useless literature, was, in part, an attempt to focus the minds of the Emperor's best scholars on the alchemical quest. Some of the executed scholars were those who had been unable to offer any evidence of their supernatural schemes. This may have been the ultimate means of testing their abilities: if any of them had magic powers, then they would surely come back to life when they were let out again. Since the great emperor was afraid of death and "evil spirits", he had workers build a series of tunnels and passageways to each of his palaces (he owned over 200), because travelling unseen would supposedly keep him safe from the evil spirits.

Then of course he dided ingesting mercury pills to make himself immortal. Then there was the legend that his tomb contained rivers of mercury... and it actually does.
>>
File: Baron von Ungern-Sternberg.jpg (287KB, 800x500px) Image search: [Google]
Baron von Ungern-Sternberg.jpg
287KB, 800x500px
While nothing he did would be particularly out of the ordinary for any ancient conquering warlord, the fact that he was doing these things in the 20th century earns him a special place on the list.
>>
>>870310
Last monarch of France was nappy III.
>>
Wasn't there a Chinese emperor with a throne made of feet?
>>
Reminder that many of the Roman historians who shit took past emperors generally tended to live generations after said emperors or were usually part of the Senatorial/equastrian class that tended to hold a shit ton of bias against the Princeps:

Case in point:

- Tiberius
- Claudius
- Aurelian
- Domitian

Just off my head.
>>
>>866457

If you believe the Bible, Rehoboam, the third and last king of the united Israel, attempted to deal with a tax revolt by boasting to a crowd of upset townsmen about the size of his dick.

It doesn't turn out so well.
>>
>>870461

I think his name was Quin Tin Ta Rin Ti Noh
>>
>>870573
>Rehoboam

My dick is thicker than my father's waist.

Get this: my father burdened you with a heavy tax

I will make your tax heavier still.

My father taught you with the whip

I will teach you with a metal whip
>>
>>870629

I'm pretty sure עקרבים means "scorpions" not a "metal whip", which makes it even more awesome.
>>
>>870422

He wins my vote. Maybe not literally insane, but his end goal was amazingly ridiculous.
>>
File: 1749_Christian_VII.jpg (27KB, 350x488px) Image search: [Google]
1749_Christian_VII.jpg
27KB, 350x488px
>>869658
Christian VII ruled 40 years and he was literally chronic masturbation, violently slapping people without a reason level crazy.
>>
Hitler, Stalin, Mao, Kim il Jong
>>
>>866457
Hong Xiuquan, the chinese warlord who thought he was Jesus' brother and started the Taiping rebellion
>>
>>869568
underratted
>>
>>868825

True, but with no heirs left other than Tiberius, it seems from Augustus' will that he never expected Tiberius to be successful (most people are not good at jobs they hate), even Livia left a good chunk of her estate to future Emperor Galba

>>870041

While it seems like insanity, many of Caligula's actions make sense when you research the historical context. When it comes to the episode of the legiosn invading the ocean, you have to keep in mind that it was during a time when most of the world map was blank spaces and most of the population were uneducated and superstitious. It was a common belief at the time that Britain was the end of the world, that the English channel was filled with sea monsters that would eat entire ships and the actual islands were just as bad. Even Claudius had to deal with the same issues during his invasion of Britian. Now bearing in mind that Caligula didn't have the clout or military experience to take drastic measures in disciplining the entire army as it would have quickly turn on him (armies made or broke emperors) yet he could not let them completely off the hook or else he would look weak. Having the legions mindlessly pick up seashells is more or less the ancient equivalent of a modern soldier walking around base picking up cigarette butts as punishment
>>
>>870969
>chronic masturbation
>crazy

えと...
>>
>all these Caligula defenders
He married a horse and fucked his sister. He was nuts
>>
File: 2.jpg (64KB, 600x400px) Image search: [Google]
2.jpg
64KB, 600x400px
>>871325

>believing ancient propaganda
>>
>>871325
>fucked his sister
>crazy

えと...
>>
>>869725
>Empress Dowager, we need more boats for the navy!
>Boats, yes. I understand completely

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marble_Boat
>>
>>869671
Can't deny sporus being Nero's replacement agrippina but Nero sleeping with his mother was likely just slander
>>
Merkel
>>
>>871325
original brony
>>
How could we forget His Excellency, President for Life, Field Marshal Al Hadji Doctor Idi Amin Dada, VC, DSO, MC, Lord of All the Beasts of the Earth and Fishes of the Seas and Conqueror of the British Empire in Africa in General and Uganda in Particular and Uncrowned King of Scotland?
>>
>>871325
His own sister or the horse's?
In both case, that's pretty hot and I fail to see the issue
>>
File: 1433505390760.jpg (17KB, 240x202px) Image search: [Google]
1433505390760.jpg
17KB, 240x202px
>>868521
>Lodewijk
>>
File: 1417612819941.png (483KB, 600x560px) Image search: [Google]
1417612819941.png
483KB, 600x560px
>>871325
>>
Kim Il Sung, the eternal president of the Republic
>>
>>869527
Is that supposed to be Jensen and Malik?
>>
Its a tie between Commodus and Caracalla
>>
>>871325
Niggah I bet you trust Procopius
>>
>>869658
Mad king lwedvig (^:
>>869859
>gender dysphoria
Lmao
>>
>>872372

I'm not sure I'd call commodus insane. Spoiled, lazy, and self-indulgent, to be sure, but he wasn't really crazy. He just wanted to play gladiator all day instead of running the empire.
>>
File: Elagabalus.png (13KB, 483x257px) Image search: [Google]
Elagabalus.png
13KB, 483x257px
>>868864
>>
>>870617
kek
>>
>>869568
If there ever was a world conqueror that had reasonable and relatable motives, that's him.
>>
>>872644
He called himself his charioteer's wife to foreign delegates, had to be some of the most awkward shit
>>
>>869658
90% of all monarchs?
>>
Francisco Macías Nguema by far.

>he changed the national motto to "There is no other God than Macías Nguema"
>during Macías Nguema's regime, the country had neither a development plan nor an accounting system for government funds. After killing the governor of the Central Bank, he carried everything that remained in the national treasury to his house in a rural village.
>During Christmas 1975 he ordered about 150 of his opponents killed. Soldiers dressed up in Santa Claus costumes murdered them by shooting at the football stadium in Malabo, while amplifiers were playing Mary Hopkin's "Those Were the Days"
>his country was nicknamed "the Dachau of Africa".More than a third of Equatorial Guinea's population fled to other countries to escape his brutal reign.
>>
>>873893
He was a real life King Ubu.
>>
Zhang Xianzhong. After leading a peasant revolt he came to the conclusion that man was a parasite on the fruits of heaven so it was only right to kill man and he then slaughtered MILLIONS in Sichuan without modern technology because of his conviction in this belief. Fucking beat that shit bitch.
Thread posts: 102
Thread images: 14

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.