[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

ITT: Shit-tier 'intellectuals'

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 65
Thread images: 10

File: Christopher-Hitchens-007.jpg (22KB, 460x276px) Image search: [Google]
Christopher-Hitchens-007.jpg
22KB, 460x276px
ITT: Shit-tier 'intellectuals'
>>
>>854031
pic unrelated
>>
>>854031

You accidentally posted Christopher Hitchens. Even if you're some butthurt Christfag annoyed by the anti-religion stuff he is widely recognised as top journalist.
>>
>>854031
Kaku

Dawkins

Tyson
>>
>>854031
He's only slightly worse than Peter (this coming from an atheist)
>>
ITT: butthurt christposters

Also, the answer is Peter Hitchens, Chesterton, C.S. Lewis and Aquinas
>>
>>854179

>as top journalist

Name one important story he broke.

>>854215
>>854179
>>854171

ITT: Reddit
>>
I am not acquainted with his Journalistic work, but his criticism on religion is weak, superficial and nerdy. Even William Lane Craig whooped his ass.
>>
>>854256
>his criticism on religion is weak, superficial and nerdy

This, instead of valid philosophical deconstruction of religion he just went full DUDE SKYDADDY LMAO reddit fedora level.
>>
>>854262
The high amount of buzzwords in your post signals an even weaker argument
>>
>>854243
Is the reddit redirect becoming the new Fuh-dor-ah meme? Because that shit was old and overused before it even began.
>>
>>854179
>Unironically liking the wrong Hitchens brother

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YOxUu_wsqgY
>>
File: maxresdefault.jpg (124KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault.jpg
124KB, 1920x1080px
this guy along with every other "youtube atheist/skeptic"
>>
File: 2015_11_zizek_books.jpg (458KB, 1280x800px) Image search: [Google]
2015_11_zizek_books.jpg
458KB, 1280x800px
>>
>>854171
>>854215
H
HO
HOW
HOWD
HOWDA
HOWDAR
HOWDARE
HOWDAREY
HOWDAREYO
HOWDAREYOU
HOWDAREYO
HOWDAREY
HOWDARE
HOWDAR
HOWDA
HOWD
HOW
HO
H
>>
>>854295
Ignoring the Marxist bs, he has some nice points
>>
>>854286
Actually with youtube anything. Just like reality shows in the late 90s made every genetic fuckup believe he's a celebrity, youtube made autistic spergs believe they're philosophers.
>>
>>854295
This

He's a totally inarticulate blowhard (though slightly self aware)
>>
>>854306
How come that guy has been speaking English for the last 30 years or so and still speaks like an Eastern European gangster? Anze Kopitar for example is also from Slovenia and his English is almost flawless.
>>
>>854309
He has a speech impediment and nervous tics iirc
>>
>>854031
Even if you are highly religious you really cannot deny his intellect
>>
>>854031
Tommaso d'Aquino.
>>
>>854279
As far as

>""""""""""intellectuals"""""""""""

go Chris was a better thinker, but Peter gets bonus points for actually doing more than just being LE EDGY SMOKING ATHEIST and ranting about Mother Theresa on t.v.
>>
>>854279

Peter Hitchens doesn't belong in this thread. This is a thread about intellectuals. Pete doesn't even make it into the category of shit tier intellectuals.
>>
>>854295
*sniff*
>>
>>854309
>>854314
Profound amounts of cocaine due to the whole "Eastern European" are the source of a large amount of his idiosyncrasies.
>>
>>854243
>Name one important story he broke.

That Mother Theresa was a charlatan.
>>
>>854344
Sadly, he took the credit of his Indian partners who helped develop the documentary.
>>
>>854340
NDG is a standard bearer for people who know nothing of science but want to appropriate it as a facet of their 'right side of history' ideals

As far as I know he has done no actual science
>>
>>854338
>cocaine due to the whole "Eastern European"

Eastern Europe is more about meth (the western part) and heroin (the eastern part).
>>
>>854348

"The" documentary? He wrote quite a bit about her including a book.
>>
>>854286

That's a vlogger. I'm no fan of that faggot but he's the last person that would claim to be an intellectual in the first place.
>>
>>854243
>Name one important story he broke.

>The only good journalist is one who gets handed a case to break by someone, like Snowden gave Greenwald

T O P
O
P
>>
>>854355
Yes of course. But as I said, the documentary Hell's Angel was not his entire creation as he claimed it to be.
>>
>>854243
You have a very limited understanding of journalism
>>
>>854331

You must be joking. Christopher spent his career writing for high end publications, much of it literary criticism. Look at his articles for Vanity Fair and the like.

Peter has spent his career writing for tabloids which are deliberately aimed at the bottom 50% of the population in terms of IQ, maybe the reason you are unfamiliar with Christopher doing anything that being "le edgy smoking atheist" is because you are in Peter's target audience rather than Christopher's.
>>
>>854475
Nobody fucking cares, Chris.
Get back to your grave.
>>
>>854511
>Nobody fucking cares

Yet half a decade after his death there are still enough religious people with bleeding rectums to go on a shitposting spree about him.

Tell me all about the small red patch spreading in your underwear.
>>
>>854523
Stop projecting, m8.
You're the only one with a rectum on fire here.
>>
>>854537

And you, my angry friend with the burning sensation in your backside and the salty tears running down your cheeks, are trying to prove how much you don't care by bursting into tears on the Internet for all to see and mock and laugh.
>>
>>854561
Oh god nobody cares about either of your meme talking heads.
>>
>>854566

>I don't care so much I will bleat like frightened lamb about it until my tears fry the circuits of my computer.

I hate to break it to you, anon, but every word you write refutes your claim.
>>
>>854561
>>854579
*slow claps*

*steps out of the shadows*

Heh... not bad, kid. Not bad at all. Your meme, I mean. It's not bad. A good first attempt. It's plenty dank... I can tell it's got some thought behind it... lots of quotable material...

But memeing isn't all sunshine and rainbows, kid. You're skilled... that much I can tell. But do you have what it takes to be a Memester? To join those esteemed meme ranks? To call yourself a member of the Ruseman's Corps? Memeing takes talent, that much is true. But more than that it takes heart. The world-class Memesters - I mean the big guys, like Johnny Hammersticks and Billy Kuahana - they're out there day and night, burning the midnight meme-oil, working tirelessly to craft that next big meme.

And you know what, kid? 99 times out of a hundred, that new meme fails. Someone dismisses it as bait, or says it's "tryhard," or ignores it as they copy/paste the latest shitpost copypasta dreamt up by those sorry excuses for cut-rate memers over at reddit. The Meme Game is rough, kid, and I don't just mean the one you just lost :^). It's a rough business, and for every artisan meme you craft in your meme bakery, some cocksucker at 9gag has a picture of a duck or some shit that a million different Johnny No-Names will attach a milion different captions to. Chin up, kid. Don't get all mopey on me. You've got skill. You've got talent. You just need to show your drive.

See you on the boards...
>>
>>854585

Hahahahaha.

I like this copy pasta, anon, I will use that later.

So I will forgive you your angry shitposting and leave you to mop away your tears.
>>
File: 1433196339585.jpg (73KB, 800x600px) Image search: [Google]
1433196339585.jpg
73KB, 800x600px
>>854215
>>854332
>>854475
Reddit
>>
I'm a hardcore atheist and hate Christopher
>>
File: JaredTaylorKosher[1].jpg (34KB, 502x352px) Image search: [Google]
JaredTaylorKosher[1].jpg
34KB, 502x352px
>>
File: 5426574432.jpg (9KB, 275x183px) Image search: [Google]
5426574432.jpg
9KB, 275x183px
>>854187
>>
>>854243
>top tier journalists
>thread is about intellectualism

gtfo
>>
>>854340
Tyson is fine, it's just the people that circle-jerk around him are insufferable
>>
Any neocon really but Bill Kristol is an especially outstanding example of how retarded this belief system is.
>>
>>854031
He's basically a poor man's Gore Vidal
>>
>>854215

>Aquinas

wew
>>
>>854286
That's like saying fucking Sargon of Akkad is an "intellectual"
>>
Now THIS is smug
>>
>>856761
He is though
>>
>>856773
No, he can't see that his desperate coddling of "individuality" is just another form of dogmatic ideology, which he claims to hate
>>
>>856767
I gotta agree. I only know about Sam Harris's stuff on ethics and morality--I don't know if he's done serious philosophical or intellectual work in other areas. But the stuff on ethics and morality is piss poor. Particularly awful are his arguments against he is/ought gap. He basically does nothing to argue against it, he just comes up with examples that don't do anything to close the gap. What he offers most by way of an actual argument involves claiming that we can all agree that suffering is bad--the argument goes something like, "A universe with only suffering is worse than a universe with less suffering; these are 'is' claims about each universe, so we can establish that the second universe is better." Uhhhhh... okay, but you kind of sneaked in the whole normative dimension with the words "worse" and "better." To be fair, I'm operating on memory here, and I am simplifying what he said a bit, but honestly that's exactly what I remember thinking when I heard him say that.

Anyway, I agree with the basics of what he says, at least about the whole "there's no God thing," but what terrible arguments. I'm even open to challenging the is/ought gap--though I'm less confident that's a fruitful way to go. Either way, what he offers on that front just seems woefully misguided. So, yeah, I gotta agree that this guy is a shit-tier intellectual, way, way, way worse than Dawkins and Zizek (mentioned here only because I saw them above).
>>
>>856818

>the is/ought gap

to be fair, Hume had it all wrong.

You see, we live in the best of all possible worlds already. Therefore, that which is already is what ought to be. No differentiation can be made between is/ought
>>
>>856842
I think you are right.
>>
>>856842
This is "the best of all possible worlds already" in what way? Like Leibniz best of all possible worlds? Just trying to get a firmer sense of what you're getting at.
>>
>>854031
Big mouth, small mind
Marginally better than his brother Peter.
>>
Anyone that tries to use science to disprove God

Anyone that fails to see beyond image to the essence of something

Anyone that generalizes anything without taking into account that life in motion will always defy expectation no matter what you see in terms of probability

Anyone who states themselves with a core identifier

Anyone who idolizes past and current greats without trying to understand what made them great

Anyone who tries to impose personally designed cosmic order onto their surroundings (My opinion > your opinion)

and OP
>>
>>856796

Not that i agree with you that but being an "intellectual" funnily enough doesn't have anything to do with being right, having good ideas or actually being intellect.
Thread posts: 65
Thread images: 10

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.