[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Redpill me on camels /his/

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 71
Thread images: 9

File: camels.jpg (46KB, 540x450px) Image search: [Google]
camels.jpg
46KB, 540x450px
Redpill me on camels /his/
>>
>>741382

They were never used in actual battle, even by the Arabs, who preferred horses for their cavalry.

They were mainly used for supply lines and transport. Khalid ibn al-Walid made excellent use of them during his conquests of Roman Syria and the Sassanid Empire.
>>
File: 1445655388414.png (503KB, 500x667px) Image search: [Google]
1445655388414.png
503KB, 500x667px
>trying to repeat the elephant thread from yesterday

Camelfags, when will they learn?
>>
>>741391
>They were never used in actual battle
I thought there was one instance where horses or some other proper war beast were found to be afraid of camels and they were used to spook them.
>>
>>741391
I could have sworn that you could heavily armor a camel and they gave no fucks if forced to charge at pikemen, making them scary as Hell.
>>
File: neverdomesticated.png (137KB, 368x460px) Image search: [Google]
neverdomesticated.png
137KB, 368x460px
>>741461
I also made a chariot thread in the same vein before the elephant thread.
>>
File: mariusz-kozik-camels-cataphract.jpg (480KB, 1920x1039px) Image search: [Google]
mariusz-kozik-camels-cataphract.jpg
480KB, 1920x1039px
>>741382
>>741537
Sassanians made good of them
>>
They dont seem as sturdy as horses desu how would a camel fair in western european terrain?
>>
>>741382
One hump, or two?
>>
>>741382
Camels are great for armies. Just not in direct battle. Those fuckers can just go and go and go at a steady pace carrying enough weight to break the back of those skinny Arabic horses.

Camels were great because an army could keep a lot of supplies like they could using a mule or ox train, but in a desert environment.

>>741391
speaks truth. The Arabs werent the only people to capitalize on them. Oddly enough, some of the Iranic and Turkic peoples used Bactrian camels to move goods from Asia through to the Middle East and Europe
>>
>>741643

They didn't use them in battle if that's what you're implying.

That pic is internet fan art, not a historically accurate reconstruction.
>>
If i take a came to antartica and let it in the cold for an hour would it make an ice cube?
>>
>>741391

Although there is this fun example of a literal battle around a camel: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_the_Camel
>>
>>741730
What did the camel say to the street lady? One hump or two humps?
>>
>>741391
>They were never used in actual battle, even by the Arabs, who preferred horses for their cavalry.
How come every single game with an Arabian faction has camel cavalry units for them?
>>
>>741736

Aisha didn't actually fight on camel; she just sat in her howdah on top of the camel and the rest of her personal guard (infantry and cavalry) guarded her.

>>741754

Because game designers know jack shit about Middle Eastern history or culture in general.

See: Arabs using curved swords in video games despite that being historically inaccurate (they used straight swords until the late medieval era)
>>
>>741767
>See: Arabs using curved swords in video games despite that being historically inaccurate (they used straight swords until the late medieval era)

Did they use curved swords in late medieval? I think only their Mameluke and Ghulam soldiers from Central Asia used curved swords, albeit those made most of their soldiers in Late Medieval.
>>
>>741391
I think they were used by Cyrus to scare off the Lydian cavalry
>>
>>741382
The camel contrary to popular belief was not domesticated by Arabs, rather by Cushitic peoples like Beja and Somali who lived along the red sea.

Camel riding is not a localized practice in Somalia because it left them in vulnerable positions. Neither is heavy packing. Camel milk is rich in vitamin c :3
>>
>>741528
>>>/totalwar/
>>
Protip: Australia is the largest exporter of camels in the world
>>
>https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Camel_cavalry

>The first recorded use of the camel as a military animal is by the Arab king Gindibu, who is claimed to have employed as many as 1000 camels at the Battle of Qarqar in 853 BC.

>More than sixty years later, the Persian king Xerxes I recruited a large number of Arab mercenaries into his massive army during the Second Persian invasion of Greece, all of whom were equipped with bows and mounted on camels. Herodotus noted that the Arab camelry, including a massive force of Libyan charioteers, numbered as many as twenty thousand men in total strength.

>Romans introduced camels in some of their North African military units under the Emperor Hadrian, during the second century.
>>
>>741696
Red hump blue hump?
>>
They are pests. Arabs brought them over to Australia to help explore the deserts but some got free and now they are a huge problem.

They cause a lot of ecological issues and ever since banning of guns in Australia their numbers have only grown.
>>
>>743028
Is there any animal that didn't happen with in Australia?
>>
>>743028
>since banning of guns in Australia

Nigga what, I know someone out west who culls camels, and I personally own 3 rifles and live in a city.
>>
>>743028
first the emus now the camels
can strayans do anything right?
>>
>>743033
It's kind of funny since we always know australia as the home to a lot of dangerous native species.

I only know of three non native animals that have done something like that in australia though, some kind of frog/toad, ants and camels.
>>
>>743039
Maybe you know one but there is a severe lack of professional hunters in Australia due to the strict gun laws.

For you to own those rifles they are either illegal, conform to arbitrary limitations or have gone through many various police checks to obtain licenses.
>>
>>743052
Yea, you join the S.S.A.A (sporting shooters), give some paper work to the cops, wait a while, get your licence, give paper work to the gun shop, then to the cops, wait a bit more, and then you've got guns, tedious but not difficult (you also need a secure gun safe).

>severe lack of professional hunters in Australia due to the strict gun laws.

Not sure if it's due to the gun laws, but I'd agree there is a lack.
>>
Fun fact: Mamelukes were the slave soldiers of medieval Arabs. They usually rode camels into battle and attacked by throwing sabers at the enemy.
>>
File: davidjohansen.jpg (6KB, 224x225px) Image search: [Google]
davidjohansen.jpg
6KB, 224x225px
Do you know why camels are called "ships of the desert"?

Because they're filled with Arab semen.
>>
File: 1455879733222.jpg (267KB, 1584x1584px) Image search: [Google]
1455879733222.jpg
267KB, 1584x1584px
>>743093
>Mamelukes were the slave soldiers of medieval Arabs
like genghis after and huns before they sourced from multiple ethnicities and backgrounds but i believe the core was built around bastardom of visiting knights from europe.
>>
>>743126
Why does the top have 632 and 1920's on the left and right and the bottom have 1090 and 1260 on them.
>>
>>743168
Probably because it compares muslim conquests with crusades.
>>
File: UN_Soldiers_in_Eritrea.jpg (62KB, 584x584px) Image search: [Google]
UN_Soldiers_in_Eritrea.jpg
62KB, 584x584px
>>
>>743126
Ethnic background was generally Slavic in Spain and Turkic or Caucasian in the Near East. European knights were more often just renegade officers and mercenaries.

>>743168
>>743177
It's likely comparing every single battle, raid, and act of piracy or banditry by Muslim forces with the most exacting definition of a Crusade battle, ignoring any raids, pillaging, pirates, and other minor military action not only by Crusade armies but by Christian forces in general.
>>
>>741767
>Because game designers know jack shit
I don't buy that, it had to come forom somewhere to be so prevalent.

I think I'll trust society in general over some random guy on 4chan.

Until proven otherwise Battle camels were a thing.
>>
>>741382
The jews of the desert.
>>
>>741391
>They were never used in actual battle
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Qarqar

>853 BC
>1,000 camelry
>>
Why isn't camel meat more popular?
With all the demand for lean meat it seems like an easy choice
>>
>>744444
>>
>>743111

Actually it's cause they're technically classified as galleys.
>>
>>744327
>>744311
>>743007
Am I being trolled here, or is wikipedia just considered irrelevant?
>>
>>743046
You forgot rabbits
>>
>>741382
There are camel bones in the La Brea Tar Pits in Los Angeles.
>>
They actually originate in North America but went extinct there. Some camels migrated to Asia and Mid East via the Bering strait, others went south to the Andes region and became Lamas, Alpacas and so forth
>>
>>744520
The articles don't actually say as much as you might think about Medieval Arab camelry. The ancient sources mostly mention the presence of camels, and rarely at that, but don't say about how they were deployed in actual battle.
>>
>>744545
Ah right I forgot about that.

>The last camel native to North America was Camelops hesternus, which vanished along with horses, short-faced bears, mammoths and mastodons, ground sloths, sabertooth cats, and many other megafauna, coinciding with the migration of humans from Asia.
Things may have been very different if early humans in NA didn't kill camels and horses and instead managed to domesticate them.

>others went south to the Andes region and became Lamas, Alpacas and so forth
Well not quite, but they are closely related.
>>
>>741382
Vastly inferior to horses
>>
>>744649
Horses are inferior to being on the right side of the riiiiveeeerr
>>
>>744311

>society in general

"Society in general" also believes Jesus was a Nordic white European, that Japanese katanas were the best swords on Earth that could slice through tanks like butter, that the Buddha was a fat Chinese guy, that Vikings wore horned helmets into battle, etc etc
>>
File: young-obi-wan-kenobi[1].jpg (168KB, 1200x1024px) Image search: [Google]
young-obi-wan-kenobi[1].jpg
168KB, 1200x1024px
>>744997
>"Society in general" also believes Jesus was a Nordic white European
You mean Jedi
>>
According to Laurence of Arabia:
-You plan you journey according to how long you expect you camel will last
-They have names and recognize their names
-They are total and utter shit in mud and snow, because slippery terrain fucks them up
-You can eat camel
-They die easily after forced marches or after suffering cold weather
All in all, pretty indispensable in a situation without internal combustion engines and where water and food are available only across great distances.
>>
>>745080
>-They are total and utter shit in mud and snow, because slippery terrain fucks them up
>-They die easily after forced marches or after suffering cold weather
Is that just the camels in north africa and arabia?
IIRC gobi desert camels eat snow for hydration so I wonder how weak to cold they are.
>>
>>745110
He specifically mentions that camels die of cold and hunger and illness when men survive. But he also wrote that 60 of his bodyguard also died.
>>
>>745134
>when men survive.
>But he also wrote that 60 of his bodyguard also died.
Ah okay.
Any clue how they compare to horses in terms of handling temperatures?
>>
>>741382
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_States_Camel_Corps
>>
>>745173
Horses appear to be more hardy, but not able to survive a two- or three- week march across desert terrain.
>>
>>741391
I have read a couple of contemporaries that talked of camel charges. T.E. Lawrence was in a camel charge.

>>741382
As far as OP's red pill.
You need a lot of training to use camels and all kinds of tricks (one is you have to wear a type of perfume????)

But I think one of the reasons there wern't a lot of camel battles was that they were so more valuable as supply transport.
But in battle a camel can take 4 or more rifle rounds before it goes down.
They panic horses.
They really are the heaviest mounted charge that ever existed.
You're a lot higher up on camel back

Drawbacks are that they aren't very maneuverable.
They have a different gaint than horses that makes archery difficult.
>>
>>743064
>Yea, you join the S.S.A.A (sporting shooters), give some paper work to the cops, wait a while, get your licence, give paper work to the gun shop, then to the cops, wait a bit more, and then you've got guns, tedious but not difficult (you also need a secure gun safe).

That is a pain in the ass.

>>severe lack of professional hunters in Australia due to the strict gun laws.
>Not sure if it's due to the gun laws, but I'd agree there is a lack.

You made having guns a pain in the ass. It's not just the laws, it is the social attitudes. Of course it is going to effect hunting. Your attitudes are allowing introduced species to destroy the native wildlife. You stop people from being stewards of the land by fucking them over with laws.
>>
>>744276
>It's likely comparing every single battle, raid, and act of piracy or banditry by Muslim forces with the most exacting definition of a Crusade battle, ignoring any raids, pillaging, pirates, and other minor military action not only by Crusade armies but by Christian forces in general.

No. If you included every raid, pirating and pillaging the Muslims did then the whole south of Europe and even the sea would be red.
>>
>>745110
>IIRC gobi desert camels eat snow for hydration so I wonder how weak to cold they are.

Bactrian Camels and Dromedary camels are different. They are classified as too different species.
>>
>>745173
>Any clue how they compare to horses in terms of handling temperatures?

Probably depends on which exact horses you are comparing with which species of camel.
>>
>>744997
Jesus was probs whyte
>>
>>741382
this happened
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_States_Camel_Corps
>>
>>744764
nice brandon frasier reference
>>
>>746908
Brits had a bunch of them too.
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Camel_Corps
>>
>>746927
and the Germans
>>
>>744520
considered irrelevant by anons who can't review the source stated in an article
>>
>>746630
This is laughable. Most of the time professional hunting in Australia isn't commercially feasible because surprise, Australia is fuckhuge. It has very little to do with laws. A "pain in the ass" does not make something unprofitable magically.
Thread posts: 71
Thread images: 9

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.