[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

>eww math Why do humanities majors say this?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 68
Thread images: 8

File: 0321455363.jpg (74KB, 447x648px) Image search: [Google]
0321455363.jpg
74KB, 447x648px
>eww math

Why do humanities majors say this?
>>
You will never use Theory of Groups in real world anyway.
>>
ive never said that

i dont like doing maths because i find it difficult, doesnt mean i have anything against mathematics or mathematicians
>>
>>696649
Group theory is useful as fuck you idiot
>>
>>696655

give me ten examples right now , overselling lil faggo
>>
>>696649
What is the real world? You would use group theory if you work in the NSA as a mathematician or cryptologist, if you're a chemist studying crystals or inorganic compounds, or if you're a post-doc or professor studying noncommutative geometry or the inverse Galois problem.

Do those people not work in the real world? What is the real world, then?
>>
>>696668
Group theory is also widely used in quantum mechanics
>>
>>696665
-Fourier analysis
-Algebraic geometry
-harmonic analysis
-inverse galois problems
-noncommutative (and commutative) cryptology
-noncommutative geometry
-representation theory
-Lie theory
-algebraic geometry
-holonomy theory
-partial differential equations

Problem, faggot?
>>
There are two kinds of people in this world: people who think language is somehow behind everything, and people who think maths is somehow behind everything.
>>
>>696773
Languages are merely applied graph theory
>>
>>696779

And maths is just language being used to solve real world problems.

See?
>>
>>696793
>math is a subset of something that is a subset of math
>>
>>696808
How is language a subset of math
>>
>>696808

Still works both ways.
>>
>>696808
>sets can't be paradoxically self-repeating

Wew lad
>>
>>696752
> one made up theory used in another made up theory without any applications in real life
Just like in gender studies.
>>
>>696888
>without any applications in real life

wat
>>
>>696888
>I don't know any of this
>must be useless
>>
>>696752
You said algebraic geometry twice
>>
File: 1390660019535.jpg (39KB, 430x290px) Image search: [Google]
1390660019535.jpg
39KB, 430x290px
>history majors who don't appreciate economic history
>philosophy majors who are really pretentious about people not knowing or understanding something they see as "basic" knowledge

This is why all my friend are in STEM
>>
>>698024
>not knowing there is a difference between algebraic geometry and Algebraic geometry
>>
>>696649
Confirmed dumbass.
>>
>>696808
The examples he gave are shit but I'll humour your dumbass.
Fourier analysis: audio/visual denoising, electronic engineering
Algebraic geometry: solving polynomial equations, archetecture
Harmonic analysis: literally all of audio engineering
Cryptology: this should be obvious
Representation theory: quantum mechanics
Lie theory: symmetry groups of physical systems
Holonomy theory: localization of symmetry groups, general relativity
PDE: literally used in all of physics/engineering
>>
>>698071

Filthy Platonist.
>>
File: unnamed.jpg (39KB, 288x511px) Image search: [Google]
unnamed.jpg
39KB, 288x511px
>>700099
Also machine learning/computer vision!

You can use group theory to find representations of image data which are translation/rotation/scale invariant. Kinda niche but my friend works on it
>>
>>696636
they're probably taking the piss, take a joke
>>
i dont hate math im just really really bad at it
>>
>>696636
>CS
>math

Pick exactly one

>inB4 "but muh set notation and logical qualifiers"
>>
>>700099
To be fair Fourier analysis and harmonic analysis is the same thing.
>>
>>700278
You could argue that, but Fourier analysis is more on the functional analysis side while harmonic analysis deals more with finding ONBs of L^2.
>>
I'm sure that this thread is going to contain lots of objective discussion.
>>
>tfw you remember that there are people who went through high school without taking any math
>tfw you remember there are people who think algebra is dumb because "in the real world we use numbers and not symbols" or some other shit
>>
>>696636
>posting a linguistics book
Neato, let's all talk about Chomsky.
>>
>>701340
>doesn't know the difference between formal languages and linguistics
7/10 bait
>>
>>696888
>since I'm fucking stupid and never took a math class beyond algebra II in 9th grade, i don't understand anything therefore it must be made up
kys
>>
However, every mathematician worth talking about was either insane or a methamphetamine addict.
>>
>>696636
I only wish I had the talent to easily comprehend math beyond intro Calc
>>
>>700273
> What's the Curry-Howard Isomorphism?
Middling troll attempt, 5/10.
>>
File: 2403467.jpg (10KB, 175x266px) Image search: [Google]
2403467.jpg
10KB, 175x266px
>>701693
>who is Terence Tao
>who is Jacob Lurie
>who is literally anyone pre-20th century
Mind baiting harder, humanitiesfag?
>>
>>698024
Yeah, you're right, but I gave 11 examples.
>>
Why do people find math difficult? It is objectively the easiest academic discipline. Your solution is either correct or incorrect, and can be easily checked. Even computers can automatically construct proofs...
>>
>>701903
So can the comouters compose music, make art and build architecture.
Math gets hard past the introductory levels, freshman.
>>
>>696636

>>700000
>>
>>701903
well, coming from my direct experience, some professors are smug assholes that will make things harder for the lulz and others are autists incapable of explaining shit

of course there are plenty of good professors, but I've seen smart people drop because they were literally scared or thrown into depression by a particular exam.

Besides, he's right >>701919
>>
Holy shit OP, I used that textbook. To this day I still have no idea what was happening in that class.
>>
>>696649
Idiot.
>>
>>696808
>reality that we partition and refer to with our own constructed disciplines is mutually constitutive
Wow I realized this in like 2nd grade
>>
>>696636
I find it exceptionally boring. People and experience are far more interesting than numbers. That's just my personal taste. I can see the beauty in all of it and it's all undeniably more useful to human progress, but it just doesn't grab me the same way history does.
>>
File: Stokes.png (817B, 129x47px) Image search: [Google]
Stokes.png
817B, 129x47px
>>701903
You're ignoring the most important (and difficult) part of math:

Coming up with meaningful conjectures and research questions.

Where do you think things like the pic came from? People had to think of them first, then figure out whether or not they're true.

Computers will probably never be able to do this.
>>
>>703393
Is meaning and interpretation important in relation to math?
>>
>>703576
Umm... To many mathematicians, there's a higher concept than "meaning and interpretation" called "morality" Here's a good explanation of morality in the math sense (PDF download warning):

http://www.cheng.staff.shef.ac.uk/morality/morality.pdf
>>
>>696636
> ew studies and experiments done outside a lab where you don't assume perfect conditions such as zero air resistance
Why do STEM majors say this?
>>
File: RussiaBTFO.jpg (296KB, 640x454px) Image search: [Google]
RussiaBTFO.jpg
296KB, 640x454px
>>696636
Capitalism = specialization of labor.

That extends to intellectual labor.

I'd love to just take graduate courses in every subject. They don't let people do that in the Western World anymore. And it's sad. But that's the world.
>>
>>696636
>beginning with a straw man
Here's your reply.
>>
I'm a history major, absolutely disgustingly awful at math and all the sciences.

apart from Biology, always got straight As in that, no idea why.
>>
>>703834
Bio before Medical school or graduate programs is rote memorization of narratives.
>>
>>703788
>ew
Why would STEM majors say that? Sounds like something freshman humanities major would say.
>>
>>703788

Shitty STEM majors, who can't into error calculations mind you
>>
>>696636
>Why do humanities majors say this?
Because most of them are humanities majors due to their inability to get into natural sciences.

[spoiler]t. a projecting linguistics major who wishes he could into physics[/spoiler]
>>
Probably the same reason that so many STEM majors are disdainful of the humanities

Because they suck at it and would rather pretend it's shit/useless than admit that there's a huge segment of human knowledge they don't have the will or ability to understand.
>>
>>705441
But STEM is superior when it comes to bettering humankind.
>>
>>703362
>math is about numbers
>>
>>705441
I'm pretty sure most math majors would struggle less in an undergrad sociology class than a sociology major would struggle in linear algebra or some other basic math course
>>
>>698070
Economic History is boring.
>>
>>706317
The major difference is that humanity courses are often specifically dumbed down so other majors outside the specialization (other humanities and STEM) can take it for General Ed. You should see the dread and terror of most non-history majors when faced with writing a 5 page "research" paper or needing to read one book over the duration of the course (the anal devastation of being forced to read 2-3 chapters of Kuhn a week in a history of science class was hilarious). On the flip side, outside of the absolutely most basic STEM courses, no one is expected to take them as General Ed, so there's no need to dumb them down for non-majors.

Double majoring really lets you see this. I did Chemistry and History. The History courses (lower and upper div) that doubled as General Eds were jokes, while upper and lower History major only courses were easily on par in difficulty with the upper and lower Chemistry major only courses.
>>
File: atiriri16.png (263KB, 1193x600px) Image search: [Google]
atiriri16.png
263KB, 1193x600px
>>707420
>Be math major
>Taking history course for social science credit
>mfw 300 pages of primary sources a week
>Still getting at least a B on every assignment

Yeah, you're full of shit.
>>
>>707420
No. The fact is that being proficient in making mathematical arguments will also hone your reasoning skills in all subjects. There's a reason it's easier for mathematics majors to transition into physics/engineering graduate schools than the other way around.
>>
>>696649
B8
Thread posts: 68
Thread images: 8

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.