[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

So, tell me /his/, was The Renaissance shit? Was it only focused

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 31
Thread images: 5

File: Le Vinci.jpg (30KB, 570x116px) Image search: [Google]
Le Vinci.jpg
30KB, 570x116px
So, tell me /his/, was The Renaissance shit? Was it only focused on drawing naked dudes and feelings rather than doing science?
>>
Hurr durr muh science

Fuck off
>>
No, important religious doctrines and political theories came out of it, and a lot of important wars were fought during it.
>>
File: Brunelleschi.jpg (535KB, 985x1641px) Image search: [Google]
Brunelleschi.jpg
535KB, 985x1641px
>>679728
>doing science
>>
>>679728
>who is Copernicus
>who is Galileo
>who is Bacon
>who is Kepler
>>
>>679791
>believing theories that had no evidence at the moment
>science
so are YEC scientists too?
>>
so da Vinci lived 140 years ?
>>
File: p01gwbxv.jpg (186KB, 1200x675px) Image search: [Google]
p01gwbxv.jpg
186KB, 1200x675px
>>679728
The Renaissance saw the beginning of scientific method - which involved conducting an experiment, collecting observations, then coming to a conclusion.
>>
>>680080
Wasn't that the Enlightenment?
>>
>Renaissance
>Enlightenment
>Dark Ages
Fuck, why do people use a shit ton of loaded terms in history?
>>
>>680364
Nope. Roger Bacon was long before the enlightenment.
>>
>>680377
He was before the Renaissance, too.
>>
Galileo Galilei and Francis Bacon were among the first European scientists to use the scientific method as we know it, taking over from the Greek method that prioritized rational thought over empiricism.
>>
>>679728
Science was invented in the 19th century.
>>
>>680080
Go read Kuhn.

Then read Needham.
>>
>>679735
Why do people on this board hate science so much
>>
>>680828
It's an incredibly flawed method of analysis outside of a limited set of practical applications
>>
>>680828
>Why do people on this board hate science so much
the problem of the natural science is that they are based on exciting, manipulating things in order to reach knowledge, truth, universality and other fantasies.
so far it fails and they cannot even motivate their stance.

doing the contrary, which means striving for stillness, of body and mind, gives far better results since it gives certainty: certainty that we feel is less personal and less permanent that we notice when exciting things, plus certainty that happiness goes thru stillness and that once stillness is achieved, there is nothing more to life...
>>
>>680828

The genuine /his/posters don't hate science. It is the religious posters that come here to defend Christianity and religion that hate science.
>>
>>680828
>>681175
I dunno mate, I hate every academic discipline equally, all their claims to produce knowledge are limited.
>>
>>681175
Pretty much this, every true renaissance figure was equally as adept at discussing science as they were philosophy.
>>
>>679728
please be a troll

the renaissance marked the rediscovery of classical antiquity and greco-roman culture - you know, the MAIN FOUNDATION of western civilization?

fucking kids i swear
>>
>>681265
rationalism should have not been revived
>>
>>680828

I don't think any reasonable person hates "science". As /sci/posters and the like are so fond of saying, we wouldn't even be having this discussion without the contributions of science to humanity.

What is (rightfully) disliked is the frequent, largely unexamined claims of STEMfags that science is the only acceptable form of knowledge, that science has the capacity to provide meaningful insight on every aspect of the human condition, and that if something is not the direct result of scientific inquiry then it's not worthwhile or relevant, because reasons.
>>
>>679728
How did Leonardo live 139 years?
>>
>>679728
The Renaissance was a bunch of bloody Italians poncing about pretending to be the second coming of the Greeks.
If you mean the late Medieval/early Modern era, then no, it wasn't shit, important advances in the fields of knowledge have been almost constant since the Carolingian Renaissance.
>>
>>679828
>Comparing Kepler to YEC

There was plenty of evidence at the time you dumbshit.
>>
>>679828
Jupiter's moons are pretty strong evidence senpai.
>>
It was great. The people who say it's shit are autistic Christian reactionaries or the kind of contrarians who go on about how the Dark Ages never happened.

What's wrong about the usual idea of the Renaissance is that it was a 'revival' of Western civilization and not just another stage in the West's cultural development, just like the Gothic, Romanesque, and Carolinian developments before it.

The truth is that the Renaissance was just a continuation of the late Medieval period, not some kind of all consuming transformation. That said, don't believe the bullshit idea that the Renaissance wasn't real. It was a very real cultural movement associated with the growth of humanism and saw the West reach greater heights than it ever had before.
>>
>>681265
>the MAIN FOUNDATION of western civilization
More like its coat of paint
>>
>>681617
>Copernicans has to justify their system on God's power
>not YEC
lol, no
Thread posts: 31
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.