[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1A_ CAkYt3GY What does /his

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 34
Thread images: 5

File: ccp.jpg (18KB, 205x180px) Image search: [Google]
ccp.jpg
18KB, 205x180px
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1A_CAkYt3GY

What does /his/ think so far? It's actually not as terrible as I was expecting.
>>
Can somebody explain me the benefit of people studying philosophy in universities?
>>
>>673983
>self understanding
>understanding other people
>critical thinking
>reading comprehension
>>
File: 1779.jpg (20KB, 306x306px) Image search: [Google]
1779.jpg
20KB, 306x306px
>philos vs mythos
>>
>>673995
You could do all that on your own though, if you have the necessary patience and willpower.
If you don't go STEM or are not incredibly lucky or well connected you're fucked
>>
>>673983
Can you explain the benefit of wanking into a sock?
>>
>>674009
To be honest, family, in dont see much difference between philosophy and masturbation
>>
>>674035
But you do see a difference between studying STEM and masturbation?
>>
what part of philosophy isn't incoherent psychobabble?
>>
File: it was me wojak.jpg (24KB, 237x225px) Image search: [Google]
it was me wojak.jpg
24KB, 237x225px
>>674045
Yeah.
One makes me money
>>
>>674051
So it's about your personal gain.

How is this any different again? Are you saying a philosopher doesn't make good money? Because they do.
>>
>>674050
Analytic philosophy.
>>
I'm actually surprised they're doing this. I also considered the Green brothers as the "Philosophy? Who needs that useless old shit, we've got SCIENCE!" types
>>
>>674064
>Are you saying a philosopher doesn't make good money? Because they do.
Not really, and even if they did, unless they're Zizek or something, they're still making less than STEMs
>>
>>674064
its not about personal gain.
Society has to pay money to maintain universities.
Thus, people who get an academic degree must be able to somehow give this invesment back to society
>>
>>674003
>You could do all that on your own though, if you have the necessary patience and willpower.
And most people don't. Which is part of the problem.
>>
>>674076
Your point being?

>Society has to pay money to maintain universities.

So what, society also pays money to maintain McDonald's.

Are you saying a McDonald's job is more valuable than the 0.0001% of your tax money that is granted to universities?
>>
>>674079
training people to think good in an age overpopulated with people who don't sounds prety beneficial to me
>>
>>674051
>not getting paid to masturbate
>>
>>674117
what exactly is "think good"?
Dont STEM majors think good?
For somebody who studies thinking good you sure do use vague terms
>>
>>674117
The problem is that the average STEMtard doesn't understand that philosophy, history, and all the other humanities subjects are hard to quantify the value of, until they are lost to us forever.

If nobody knew what Euclid, Plato, Archimedes said and wrote, which could happen in a future scenario, nobody would even know why Newtonian physics works as it does.

But of course, this doesn't vex the average sperglord doing his Bachelor's degree in Physics at all.
>>
>>674129
>shit tattoo
>litearlly advertising what is now an old game taht dosen't even stand up to current platformers
>>
>>674170
>what is now an old game taht dosen't even stand up to current platformers

Either you are literally 12 years old, or this is some shitty b8.
>>
>>674176
Are you 30? Zelda is pretty mediocre compared to the games they've released now.
>>
>>674155
>what exactly is "think good"?

Critical thinking, reading comprehension, communication, better understanding oneself and others, self control, empathy.
>>
>>674117
>training people to think good
and there's your problem
>>
>>674066
disgusting
>>
>>674051
If money is your goal you should have gone for accounting or finance.
>>
>>673983
Interacting with students and faculty who are smart and read the same material as you.
>>
>>674076
Did it ever occur to you that money might not be the primary concern for some people?

In any case, when referring to the stereotype of a broke humanities major, philosophy is not the best example. It's one of the best among the humanities and ahead of several sciences, like Biology.
>>
>>675881
kripke will smite you down
>>
>>673983
You learn to think better. You have no idea how many people are just terrible at thinking or how bad you are yourself before you've taken an course in formal logic and argumentative reasoning.

Fun facts; my former philosophy teacher said he preferred fresh students who haven't taken any coursers before his since people in the humanities and social sciences use the word "knowledge" weirdly while STEM students can't get into their head that 1 litre of water weighting 1 kg isn't a logical necessity.
>>
>>675948
>1 litre of water weighting 1 kg isn't a logical necessity
What's the point of this line of reasoning?
>>
>>675948
>1 litre of water weighting 1 kg isn't a logical necessity.
What? They were just defined to be that way back when they were invented.

No STEM student wouldn't know this.
Thread posts: 34
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.