[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Paraguayan War

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 2

File: paragaywar.jpg (1MB, 1236x1659px) Image search: [Google]
paragaywar.jpg
1MB, 1236x1659px
>It particularly devastated Paraguay, which suffered catastrophic losses in population—some claim that almost 70% of its adult male population died—and was forced to cede territory to Argentina and Brazil.
>70%

Is this legit?
>>
>>670238
Argentina had a significant African population that was killed in droves as cannonfodder and now they are almost completely gone through assimilation.

70% seems right
>>
>>670238

Yes I believe Paraguay was a regional power that thought it was a global power and got its ass beat by Brazil and Argentina.
>>
>>670262
>>670271
70% is insane though. How does such a thing even happen?
>>
>>670425
It was a smaller country with a smaller population to begin with, then decided to go to war against Uruguay, Brazil, and Argentina all at the same time, and required complete occupation to end the war.
>>
File: Paraguay-map.gif (10KB, 273x265px) Image search: [Google]
Paraguay-map.gif
10KB, 273x265px
>>670562

>>670425
>>
>>670238
What a time to be a man.

I want my own harem as well.
>>
I hate to be that guy but what was the point of even fighting?
>>
>>670425
That's only 70% of the adult male population: women and children weren't hit as hard, so you're probably "only" talking about half of the population eliminated.

There were worse conflicts, like Three Kingdoms China, which saw an overall population decline from 55.4 million to about 16.1 million.
>>
>>670593
IIRC, it was over one political regime replacing another in Uruguay, and Paraguay wanted to reinstate the exiled government, but Argentina supported the current Uruguayan regime so they declared war to defend them. Later on Brazil got rope in somehow.
>>
>>670238
The Paraguayan War was one of the most needless and greedy conflicts in human history
>>
>>670600
Actually Brazil started the war, Argentina joined later
>>
>>670603
>forgetting about Africa
How could you?
>>
This article gives a pretty good overview:

http://exiledonline.com/paraguay-a-brief-history-of-national-suicide/
>>
>>670595
>There were worse conflicts, like Three Kingdoms China, which saw an overall population decline from 55.4 million to about 16.1 million.
>55.4 million to about 16.1 million.

No fucking way. I need to see some proof for those numbers.

>>670731
Pretty sure that's languishing behind a paywall now with all the rest of his best work.
>>
>>670562
Paraguay had the same amount of population as Argentina back then.
>>
>tfw my country was the only one who supported the paraguayans and now we can get the nationality just asking for it
>>
>>670954
explain
>>
>>670425
Solano López absolutely refused to surrender. Paraguayan forces were defeated quickly, but long after defeat was inevitable, he kept fighting and evading the Brazilian army, for years.
The constant fighting and fleeing, with both armies with poor logistical capabilities living off the land, took its expected tool on the civilian population. By the end of the war, kids were being conscripted into the Paraguayan army.
The war only ended after Solano Lopez was killed in battle, his army consisting of children and moribund men who could barely fight.
Thread posts: 19
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.