[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Fuck your shit. History of swears, obscenities and vulgar language

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 29
Thread images: 1

File: wpid-Photo-16-Aug-2014-1208-pm.jpg (208KB, 774x482px) Image search: [Google]
wpid-Photo-16-Aug-2014-1208-pm.jpg
208KB, 774x482px
Fuck your shit. History of swears, obscenities and vulgar language thread.
Discuss how certain words came to be and then came to be obscene or taboo. And to get some things out of the way, if the story involves an acronym origin it is pretty much guaranteed to be wrong.
>>
Don't know anything about it but bump for interesting
>>
>>662442
You're a cunt.
>>
>>662450

The word cunt originated as an acronym for a person "carrying unnatural tension" this made them act cuntish
>>
>>662465
Shit started as an acronym for menuer being shipped across country in trains.
It stood for
"S.hip H.igh I.n T.ranzit"
>>
In my language (Portuguese) the swear for penis "caralho" was adopted in comparison with an icicle (referring to the hardness of both). Here's the funny thing, everyone knows what "caralho" means but I have never ever heard someone describe an icicle with the word "caralho".
It's a swear that completely obscured the original word.
>>
>>662479
Fuck was an acronym for "fornication under command of the king" after the king demanded the citizens to increase the population
>>
>>662510
But mine is actually true.
>>
>>662510
>>662465
>>662479
>>662495

Very interesting. But could you please provide sources?
>>
>>662537
All the acronym ones are untrue. Just urban legends or anecdotes.
>>
>>662465
>>662479
>>662510
all these memes
>>
Thomas Crapper was a business man who got patents and mass produced early flush toilets.
Crapper was printed on them and that's where the word comes from.
>>
>>662544
>>662543
>>662537
http://www.snopes.com/language/acronyms/shit.asp
Fuck.
You're right.
>>
The word fuck is related to the indoeuropean word for be. Hence we get some congnates with Latin "fui" (I was), "futurus" (that will be) and of course "futuere" (to fuck). Most indoeuropean languages have congnates to this word.

The "fornication under command of the king" story is fake. Fake as fuck.
>>
In Victorian era Leg was considered obscene and a sexually deviant word.
>>
Fuck I think used to mean assault.
>>
It is interesting to note that both ancient Greek and Latin had a far more specific se vocabulary.

For instance, Latin had fellare (to suck dick), irrumare (to have your dick sucked, to fuck a mouth), pedicare (to butt fuck), etc. They even had different words for when women had a more active roll in sex, which sadly I don't remember. I remember, though, the word defututus, meaning literally exhausted of being fucked too much.

And the Greeks... I'll only say, they had a word for the act of introducing radishes into someone's anus. Rhaphanidoun or something.
>>
>>665462
Wasn't the most offensive of those Roman words the one for performing oral sex on women? It was passive, submissive to a woman, and finally dirtied the mouth.
>>
>>665462
Crisare was the Latin verb meaning that a woman was having intercourse actively, we could say Crisare means "to ride a dick".
>>
It is also noteworthy the Latin word for dick: mentula.

But mentula is actually the deminutive of mens, meaning mind. We don't know if the Romans called the penis mentula because it behaves as if having a little mind of its own, or because the tip looks like a little head.
>>
>>665876
Or because they thought with it
>>
>>665876
And the word penis itself used to mean tail in Latin, but then was used as an euphemism for dick.
>>
Many different countries have different curse words, they are often sexual, blasphemous or related to illnesses in some aspects. During the protestant reformation the Swedish church had mostly gotten a hold of various curses involving god and christian imagery, such as "Vassera tre", a rather popular curse which stemmed from Old Swedish, "hvars haerra trae”, which literally translated to our Lord's tree, or the christian cross. Though they decreased in popularity, swearing against satan or perceived evil notions was still rather common, with words such as "Hin" "Tusan", "Böveln". By the 1700's the churches started to lose that influence and as such terms as "Herregud" (Oh my god) became commonplace again.
>>
>>662510
>not adulterers being hung For Use of Carnal Knowledge
>>
>>665876
I would guess the appearance since they had another word for circumcise penis.
>>
Pretty much all obscenities can be put into 6 classes, with some overlap.
1. Sexual
2. Excrement/filth
3. Blasphemy/curses
4. Death/disease
5. Slurs/bigotry
6. Reddit
>>
Can you recommend any good book on the history of swearing?
>>
>>665462
Yes, the greek verb was rhaphanidoo (ραφανιδοω).
It was actually a punishment for male adulterers.
>>
>>668440
/t/ had an audiobook thread maybe still in the archive with a link to a book Holy Sh*t on the subject.
Thread posts: 29
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.