[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Since religion is part of the humanities, are we allowed to discuss

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 260
Thread images: 46

File: religion.png (48KB, 450x379px) Image search: [Google]
religion.png
48KB, 450x379px
Since religion is part of the humanities, are we allowed to discuss our own religions with other people?

If so and this thread doesn't get nuked early, post your:
>religion
>sect/denomination
>location
>did you convert?
>>
File: 1508590910.png (92KB, 382x381px) Image search: [Google]
1508590910.png
92KB, 382x381px
/rel/ WHEN!?!?

I COME HERE EVERY SINGLE DAY FOR HISTORY. HISTORY. EVERY SINGLE DAY, THE CATALOG IS FILLED WITH BS RELIGIOUS AND PHILOSOPHY THREADS BY FEDORAS AND CRUSADER LARPERS WHILE THE ACTUAL RELEVANT HISTORICAL THREADS ONLY GET 6 REPLIES BEFORE FLOATING TO TO THE OBLIVION BEYOND PAGE 10. I DO NOT CAAAAAAAARE ABOUT YOUR SHITPOSTING AND PERSONAL BELIEFS. LEAVE LEAVE LEAVE LEAVE. NEVER COME BACK. REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE
>>
File: image.jpg (109KB, 374x600px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
109KB, 374x600px
>>602352

I'm an irreligious atheist.

The closest thing to a denomination I can think of would be Secular Humanism.

I live just outside New York City.

I was raised Lutheran, never very devout. Started studying religion and philosophy in college after a spiritual crisis, and now consider myself on a lifelong journey of investigation, trying to be as open-minded and rational in my beliefs as I go along.
>>
>>602366
Start a history thread then, faggot.
>>
>>602366
That would probably cause more problems than it would solve. You can't just evenly split religion from history. There would be a fuckton of overlap in both boards.
>>
>>602386
>>602135

Compare this to one of the philosophy threads, you asinine imbecile.
>>
>>602403
That thread could probably also go on /lit/.

Are you gonna bitch about that as well?
>>
>>602352
Of course you can discuss your own religion. Theres this really annoying orthodox christian tripfag who makes 3 threads a day about his religion.

Autism is a bitch,
>>
>>602433
You think I'm him or something?
>>
>>602366
Am I the only one who likes when academic boards are combined like this? I have a cursory knowledge of history, economics, and philosophy/theology and I love posting in all these threads.

Enjoy when subjects are grouped together like this.

Because of the anthropology addendum I even see some evolutionary threads, which are incredible too.
>>
File: 1437719638242.jpg (6KB, 248x250px) Image search: [Google]
1437719638242.jpg
6KB, 248x250px
>>602456
>yfw /his/ is the best board on 4chan right now
>>
>>602444
No, didn't assume you were.

I'm a Muslim and have tried to start threads about the history of Islamic countries starting from the foundation to early modern period. It always gets crapped up by 'hurr durr terrorbists", shitposters, and /po/fags. So expect the worst.
>>
Sunni Muslim. Live in Southeast Asia. I didn't convert but I reaffirmed my faith when I was old enough to understand it. I feel like that's an important tenet in any religion
>>
>>602472
Don't jinx it.
>>
>>602472
It's certainly smarter. This board, /sci/, and /lit/ comprise the only worthwhile boards on this Cantonese diagram forum.
>>
>religion
Very orthodox muslim, only believe the Koran.
>location
East coast, USA
>>
File: infidel_inside.jpg (234KB, 585x883px) Image search: [Google]
infidel_inside.jpg
234KB, 585x883px
>islam
>mostly shafi'i sunni, but not really have any affinity to any sect
>Southeast Asia
>no
What do I get?
>>
>>602500
>>602492
>>602474
>>602473
Are some of these the same people? Did we really get four muslims in one thread this quick?
>>
File: Aligiffin.gif (993KB, 500x212px) Image search: [Google]
Aligiffin.gif
993KB, 500x212px
>>602492
>Very orthodox muslim, only believe the Koran.
Al-Quran teaches us to follow the sunna brother.

Not following the sunna would mean you're heterodox not orthodox.
>>
>>602510
>1.5 billion people in the world are muslim
>world wide web
>being surprised theres a couple muslims
>>
>>602500
Sunni SE Asian from recent post. Not surprised since most lurk.
>>
File: giggle.jpg (14KB, 298x200px) Image search: [Google]
giggle.jpg
14KB, 298x200px
>>602366

>coming to the religion board for history

Kek, what a dumbass.
>>
I was raised a Roman Catholic in Ontario by a Dutch family. Went to a Catholic elementary and high school, wasn't much different from public schools since they are both government funded. It was during high school that I started to question my faith since my family wasn't hard-line religious at the time and I never thought about the validity of the existence of a god as a kid (the main reason I went to Catholic school was because of family tradition.) By the time I graduated I considered myself an agnostic atheist and always have since.
>>
>>602492
>very orthodox
>only follow the Koran

That's the furthest from orthodoxy if there ever was a metric.
>>
Buddhism

Theravada

USA

Raised Southern Baptist but never really stuck with it, dropped it when I was 16. Was an atheist for a while and then found Buddhism and agreed with all the teachings.
>>
>>602352

>religion

Jewish.
>sect/denomination

Ashkenaz Orthodox.

>location

U.S.A.

>did you convert?

No, although I didn't grow up observant.
>>
>>602352
>>religion
Christianity
>>sect/denomination
Roman Catholic
>>location
Germoney
>>did you convert?
Yes, I was babtized as a Protestant when I was a child and converted to Catholizism when I was 16.
>>
File: fatin_mujahidah.webm (2MB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
fatin_mujahidah.webm
2MB, 640x480px
>>602514
>>602544
Everybody claim to be orthodox, just like everyone calling themselves ahlusunnah.

>>602524
Aye brother.
>>
>>602648
Not disagreeing with you. There isn't such a thing as orthodox Islam. Islam itself an orthodox religion. It's the same tier as people who say they're Ahlus-Sunnah. Basically a meme.
>>
>>602366
There's a hide thread button, y'know
>>
>>602352
>none
>none
>Europe
>no
>>
>>602398
>You can't just evenly split religion from history
That's like saying you can't split history from engineering, or art, or biology, or....well, anything.
What makes religion so special?
>>
>>602352
>religion
It varies between straight out Buddhist and Christian Mystic. The biggest confusion for me is whether there's a creator God or not.

>sect/denomination
I guess for Buddhism my ideas would most closely follow Theravada, but I'm not really part of any "sect." As for Christianity, I was baptised Orthodox and attended Christmas/Easter sermons under that context, so I guess that.

>location
Sydney, Australia

>did you convert?
I came to Buddhism in my late teens, and as for Christianity like I said I was baptised as an infant, so I guess "not really."

>inb4 "look at this speshul snowflake!"
Fuck you, I don't want to be like this
>>
>>602510
I imagine there's quite a lot of Muslim posters here generally, it's just that you don't see them mention it often because like the Muslimfag said every time it comes up it just devolves into a "hurr durr terrorism" shitfest.
>>
>>603268
modern religion faiths are parts of modern worlds but not parts of history, because into history views of religon faiths was huge different.
>>
>>603271
>Muslim posters
They should leave that forum because it full of pictures and pictures are haram for sand retards.
>>
>lapsed catholic
>currently idk what i am
>south west UK
>>
File: 1445150665021.gif (781KB, 320x287px) Image search: [Google]
1445150665021.gif
781KB, 320x287px
>>603286
You should leave this forum because it contains nuanced intellectual discussion and the subtleties of religious conversation will go over the head of a contrarian retard such as yourself.
>>
Sikhi
There are no sects
America
I was an atheist most of my life, so technically I did, but I'm from a mostly non-practicing Sikh family.
>>
File: Allah-eser2.png (106KB, 587x595px) Image search: [Google]
Allah-eser2.png
106KB, 587x595px
I guess this post makes 5 muslims
>>
>>602352
>religion

Christianity.

>sect/denomination

Lutheranism

>location

Midwestern US. Non-native though, so pls no stereotype.

>did you convert?

yeah.

>Raised a southern baptist.
>Dropped off and played pseudo-gnostic faggot from 15-~17 or 18.
>Actually read Acts for the first time. 90% of preconceived notions about >christianity BTFO.
>Read some patristics & Aquinas.
>This. Is. Truth.
>Try to be catholic.
>Like the liturgical forms.
>Like the doctrine of real presence in the eucharist v. smelly symbolic "lord's supper".
>Like all that "dirty roman shit" that baptists dispensed of thinking themselves to be purifying christianity...
>Can't reconcile office of the papacy, invocation of saints and a distinct lack of sola scriptura with what I feel to be right and proper christianity.
>Decide to go to the church of the man who invented sola scriptura instead...
>...and thus here I stand; I can do no other.
>>
>>603314
Have you practiced salat today, brother?
>>
>>603333
Just a question, have you looked into Orthodoxy at all?
>>
>>603338
I have, and it's unfeasible for me.

1) no orthodox parish in my small town -- nearest is too far away.

2) ethnic concerns. all of the orthodox parishes even remotely close to me are largely immigrant "owned and operated" so to speak -- priests and fellow parishoners who aren't exactly competent in english isn't something I feel would be beneficial to me.

3) Legitimate disagreements with certain aspects of orthodoxy. For instance, the filioque is rational in my opinion, Augustine and Francis of Assisi are proper saints, I /might/ find fault with the essence-energies distinction (but I'm not read enough on it to form a proper opinion), and my understanding of soteriology is very much monergistic. Also, the orthodox invoke saints just as well as catholics, and as such, I again reach a general impasse on that.

So no, orthodoxy, while admirable, isn't a denomination I'm able to bring myself to follow.
>>
>>602403
History requires actual knowledge to discuss. Any idiot can skim a wikipedia page on philosophy and make a post, incidentally most philosophy threads are garbage.
>>
1/2 - Born into a Shia muslim family, though I stopped giving a crap around the age of 13 with a slow and eventual descent into being an atheist.
3 - Oman.
4 - I guess?
>>
>religion
Jew
>sect/denomination
Reform/Earth Based
>location
Nunya, Bednis
>did you convert?
Yeah.

Tbh I'm shifting more and more away from the developments of Judaism after the formation of the State. It's near heretical to say that but whatever, I'm in land of hippie Jews so like yeah I'm fine
>>
File: kuk.jpg (28KB, 355x327px) Image search: [Google]
kuk.jpg
28KB, 355x327px
I worship the frog god.
>>
>>603709
Post on /mena/
>>
>religion
Agnostic

>location
Oklahoma

>did you convert
My family'd never been religious to begin with. I've been to a few different churches out of curiosity over the years but none of them have ever really gripped me. The last time I went it was to a Jehovah's Witness convention and it was pretty terrible.
>>
File: 1416533490185.png (260KB, 563x542px) Image search: [Google]
1416533490185.png
260KB, 563x542px
>>603794
Is being smug one of the requirements?
>>
>>602474
im this but from Bosnia

i guess i converted? from state enforced atheism/state enforced apathy towards religious matters.

I swear im not the guy who starts all the ottoman threads. my interest is mostly Italy

>pick all of the pictures with falafel
>>
>Christian
>Roman Catholic
>Australia
>Born into it

Up the ra
>>
>>603333
My story is pretty similar to yours.

>religion
Christianity.

>sect/denomination
ELCA Lutheranism.

>location
Pacific Northwest

>did you convert?
I was raised by parents who very rarely bounced between Methodist and Baptist churches, but mostly didn't attend and started to go less and less until they stopped do to laziness. I started regularly reading the Bible when I became a teenager. When I was in my early 20s I had a friend who went to a Lutheran church and after reading up on the tenants, I decided it was close enough to what I thought was right to convert.

I love going to church, it's one of my favorite things.
>>
>>602352

I'm atheist...

About denomination maybe same as >>602352

Location Europe, Balkan, Serbia...

Yeah i guess i did convert. I mean when u grow in fully traditional environment u don't have that much of the choice u can just stick with mass. But today it's different, everyone has net so they can read and argue about it... But in short, what you believe in, or do you even believe in smt is based on your emotions, if u feel that there is smt then u are going to believe in that, if not then u wont... You just have to read about different religions talk with ppl about it and see what does fit u...

>>602366

As for you mate... If u want to talk about history then u should know that religion was necessary in past, ppl needed way to explain their environment so they used their imagination to do that... And one more thing, as much i hate middle age cause of church, cause of things she did and some shes still doing, church did important job at that time. When Ottoman empire conquered Constantinople they were mostly barbarians who didn't care that much for knowledge and church gathered some left knowledge of that time and indeed used it for their own good. But still they saved lots of it... So the point is that you have to be open-minded and see things from different angles don't be flighty...
>>
>>602472
90% of /his/ posters don't know shit about history, just saying. I once read that the Byzantines were Turkish people.
>>
>>602514
Is this guy portraying Ali or something? Surely he isn't playing Muhammad.

I've also watched an animated movie about Muhammad that was approved by some Islamic council in Iraq I think. Isn't drawing life considered haram by pretty much all sects?
>>
>>602366
This. Sucks when I open a history board and the 80% of the first two rows in the catalog are religion/philosophy (bait)threads.
>>
>>604197
Well, what's left of them probably are at this point.
>>
>>604251
I think you mean a history AND HUMANITIES board, family
>>
>>602352
Christianity
Non denominational
Southern US
>>
File: heh_no.gif (3MB, 240x180px) Image search: [Google]
heh_no.gif
3MB, 240x180px
>>603840
>from Bosnia
Unless you're from Malaysia, australian are welcome in /ASEAN/ but they're not Southeast asian.
>>
Syriac Orthodox. I converted due to my mother being Syriac Orthodox and noticing that Protestantism is getting worse and worse. Also ameriburger
>>
>Christianity
>Catholicism
>England
>Converted by myself at like 15, was raised without religion.
>>
None/Atheist
Nashville, Tennessee, USA
Grew up in the "Home Church" culture in Southern California that had a Calvinistic bent (a lot of Asian families too, lol).
As a kid the cosmology didn't make sense (why would an infinite god make such a flawed game out of souls going to heaven based on secret thoughts) so I stopped attending church as a young adult.
After studying anthropology, I can see that religion is just a subset of human psychology and that it is impossible for these imaginative stories to be real. To be frank I'm somewhat dumbfounded that anyone could be aware of the scope of human history and then still chose to believe some particular religion. I still appreciate mythology and stories about humanity, though.
>>
>religion
None
>sect/denomination
N/A
>location
Southern US
>did you convert
Used to be Catholic
>>
I'm some sort of poorly defined spiritualist and I am trying to make my own religion just for myself, but I'm too stupid to know how to go about it.
>>
>>602366
>/his - History and Philosophy
>>
>>604597
When in doubt just strive for complete self-awareness and honesty.
>>
>religion
Islam
>sect/denomination
Sunni
>location
Europe
>did you convert?
I was born in a Muslim family. I believe in god. I guess I could abandon my religion because I don't practice any of it and I don't really know how to pray, but Islam has strong roots because its just that belief in something bigger than us, a god creator. And that's it.
Almost every person outside of my family that I know and am friends with is Christian and I deeply respect their religion and I know a lot about it. Jesus Christ truly fills me with joy and his teachings are something that isn't found in Islam or Judaism but rather in some far eastern spirituality and I believe it contains some core truths about life.
But just like being a Muslim, being a Christian is heavily about upbringing. You can't simply switch to the whole system of belief and deities over night. They also have that belief in god creator but also Jesus Christ and Virgin Mary which goes against 'one god' principle and it just overcomplicates things. I'm simply not raised a Catholic and its not possible to develop that sudden closeness to those figures (although Christ might be different) people develop their entire lives.
I guess I'm neither comfortable being a Muslim because I'm not very good in things my faith requires of me, but Islam is also just an easy way to be close to god for a half-way lukewarm theists.
>>
File: deist_flame.png (15KB, 373x600px) Image search: [Google]
deist_flame.png
15KB, 373x600px
>>602352

>Deism
>"Christian" Deism
>USA
>Yes
>>
>>602352
>religion
Islam
>sect/denomination
Quranist
>location
France
>did you convert?
No but I went through an agnostic phase and I realized that faith was beyond reason.
>>
>>604690
I was raised christian and i think islam has the advantage of believing that jesus is obtainable, Muslims should strive to be like jesus
>>
>>605127
>and I realized that faith was beyond reason.

What do you think of Muslims who are convinced that Islam is based completely on logic? How would you refute them?
>>
my question to the followers of islam
doesn't sects of islam go against the koran?

we are all equal under god?
>>
>>602352
>religion
islam
>denomination
sunni
>location
germany
>did you convert?
no
>>
>>605198
Well, the same is true of Christianity.
>>
>>605175
I think islam is completely based on logic it just hasn't been explained yet

take linguistics
people are programmed to find words put together a certain way, beautiful
>>
>>605252
how to trigger whitey, the post
>>
>>605270
what about?

>>religion
>islam
>>denomination
>sunni
>>location
>germany
>>did you convert?
>yes
>>
>>605261
How is any religion based on logic? I'm very religious btw.

inb4 the Quran's challenge of replicating a passage and that a supposed "miracle" is direct evidence of God and his angel giving Muhammed divine revelation
>>
Atheist
Nietzschean
America
Yes, after I realized we are all equally ignorant, and the only source of truth about should be's is derived from my own sentiment.
>>
Christian
Was raised Anglican but considering Orthodoxy
England
Was raised Anglican but fell away at the age of 17. I'm 22 now and have recently started practicing again
>>
>>605283
well for instance a lot of science pushes narratives that are very similar to religious ones. For instance the universe was created and not eternally recurring, i:e the big bang. The fact that evolution doesn't explain how we developed logic, or the fact that when we die a burst of energy flows through our brain, since time is relative and death is eternal, i think this is what heaven is

Im not saying it's fact but I believe that religion can be explained logically
>>
>>605305
Anything you can imagine being the case is logically possible. It's a good thing logical possibility doesn't dictate actual possibility though.
>>
File: 1446268938858.jpg (60KB, 1078x606px) Image search: [Google]
1446268938858.jpg
60KB, 1078x606px
>>602352

>religion

Islam

>sect

Shi'ite

>location

Seoul

>did you convert?

Yes
>>
>>605305
If you were logical, you'd understand that just because we don't have the answers to these scientific mysteries, it doesn't mean that the answer has to be God(though as a theist I do believe God is the answer).

Whether God can be explained logically, I don't know, but any theist who looks for logical justifications(like Muslims desperately do) have weak faith from my perspective.
>>
>religion
Rodnovery
>sect/denomination
n/a
>location
Bosnia
>did you convert?
yeah I guess
>>
>>605333
isn't that what philosophy is though?
and people listen to philosophy so it does have an impact on the world
>>
>>605339
How does trying to exonerate god through logic determine weak faith?
>>
>religion
No religion, agnostic.
>sect/denomination
None
>location
Bulgaria
>did you convert?
No. I was born in a muslim family in a christian ortodox country and i ended up as an agnostic...
>>
File: BarbourS&R Hist and Contemp.jpg (44KB, 555x841px) Image search: [Google]
BarbourS&R Hist and Contemp.jpg
44KB, 555x841px
>>602352
Religious Studies is part of the humanities. SeminaryDivinity Colleges are their own separate limited institutions because they are categorized as Theology.

Theology is not interested the historical, sociological interpretations of religion, they are only interested in the perspective of the "faithful"

Whereas Religious Studies is secular, historical, and sociological; apply all know secular methodologies and theories to their academic fields.

So no OP. You are wrong.
It is beyond strange how so many people on this board don't understand these simple distinctions. It leads me to believe that many people on /his/ are poorly informed undergrads, or not college students at all.
>>
>>602366
You're fighting a good fight. And I've started a fair share of the "we need a /rel/ board" threads. But it's a lost battle.
We will never see /rel/
>>
>>602352
-Atheist with a bit of love for Zen, Dao and some Christian stuff
-Russia
-Kinda? I guess? My religious life ended when I heard the story of Binding of Isaac when I was a kid. After that I've become kinda sceptical about religions.
>>
>>605339
The answer doesn't have to be god but why does the answer have to be the narratives that science push, i'm not discrediting science theorys, I believe in evolution but i don't think it is the be all and end all.
>>
I find Germanic polytheism vaguely appealing. The idea of a set of gods that I don't have to place ahead of myself and instead look to as a means to reflect upon my life and the structure of the universe, coupled with the fact that I can't see anything but an imperfect set of gods creating an imperfect world seems to be something I could get behind. But I just can't bring myself to believe in something beyond this reality, the very act of speculating on it seems futile and pointless.
>>
>>602366
this as fuck

/rel/ containment board when???
>>
File: 1421072517763.png (58KB, 646x654px) Image search: [Google]
1421072517763.png
58KB, 646x654px
I can only watch as Europe is being swallowed by the tide of Islam.
>>
File: 1453238938105.gif (115KB, 1224x1137px) Image search: [Google]
1453238938105.gif
115KB, 1224x1137px
>>605406
if you can't beat em, join em :)
>>
>>605414
>wahhabism
>>
File: 1453252969808.jpg (53KB, 600x600px) Image search: [Google]
1453252969808.jpg
53KB, 600x600px
>religion

Looking to become a Conservadox Jew.

>sect

Traditional judaism is what I want to be a part of, not becoming a slave to study like orthodox Jews and not being a heretic like modern Orthodox or conservative.

>location

East bay area

>did you convert?

Hopefully I will be soon, I have distant Ashkenazi blood but have always looked the part. I got made fun of for looking so Jewish but upon looking into the religion and contrasting that with the Christianity I was raised and believed in, I realized Christianity was wrong, and Judaism could still bring great comfort. The stories are also much more interesting than in any other book of faith ive read into.

Almost became a practitioner of the noahide laws (which non-gentiles ought to follow according to rabbinic law) but I realized I couldnt get away from my identity as Jewish so it just made sense to make a full conversion.
>>
>>605432
do jews have to be jews to become jewish?
>>
>>605400
Right around the time /tg/ gets /40k/ and /quest/. Which is to say never, so you might as well stop whining.
>>
>>605439
No. The book of Ruth is pretty clear about how you're supposed to treat converts exactly the same as any born Jew.
>>
File: britainsfuture.png (153KB, 320x297px) Image search: [Google]
britainsfuture.png
153KB, 320x297px
>>605414
well said my brother
>>
>>605443
No, the mods just need to start deleting and banning for low-quality religious bait.

there should be a /christgen/ and that's where all christposting is relegated to.
>>
>>605447
What about in practice?
>>
File: bulleh.gif (18KB, 707x513px) Image search: [Google]
bulleh.gif
18KB, 707x513px
>>605351
Exonerate is the wrong word. Muslims desperately try to prove their religion as the one true religion to non-Muslims with their fallible logic, which is a sign of weak faith to me. They don't try to instill love for God, they try to instill a rigid and unfounded understanding of the infinite. I'm not surprised that so many Muslims converts leave Islam soon after when they're given such a shaky foundation.

I'm not trying to criticize Islam here, I think Islam can be great when it's not controlled by the kind of Muslims I mentioned. The so-called "logical" Muslims are destroying Islam's great spiritual tradition, and that saddens me.

>>605396
>but why does the answer have to be the narratives that science push

It doesn't.
>>
>>602352
Just interesting. How monotheist faith interpret other multiple monotheists faiths? As demon-worshipers or as schizophrenia of a god, or as the theatre with masks by a god?
>>
>>605458
i'm not one of those muslims, if a christian owes their successes to god and listens to jesus, then he is my equal
But I think that god is a strong unifying force and bringing god back into the domain of science and philosophy is what is needed
>>
>>605476
>How monotheist faith interpret other multiple monotheists faiths?

I think the (general) view of Islam is that Jews and Christians are following an outdated version of the true religion.

The general historical view in Christendom was that Muslims and Jews worshiped Satan
>>
>>605458
I grew up in a christian household, christians worship the same god as me, just differently
>>
File: 1453089049578.jpg (7KB, 250x194px) Image search: [Google]
1453089049578.jpg
7KB, 250x194px
>>605376
This
>>
>>605457
I'm not personally Jewish, so I can't say. I'd wager it's like any religion in that regard, which is to say you'll get mixed reactions.
>>
>>605451
Do you report it when you see it? Because threads do get deleted here from time to time.
>>
>>605347
No.
>>
>>605479
How would you bring God back into science and philosophy? People aren't very keen on structuring their findings and experiments based on church doctrine or the like.
>>
>>605519
well I don't think the church and god are the same thing
people stopped listening to the church because it got too draconian

>>605516
why not?
>>
>>605479
Philosophy and even politics, sure, but I don't think religion has any place in science.
>>
>>602352
>religion
Christianity
>sect/denomination
Roman Catholic
>location
Bavaria
>did you convert?
I did but at a young age, I was like 6
>>
File: 1452039703851.jpg (101KB, 823x549px) Image search: [Google]
1452039703851.jpg
101KB, 823x549px
>>602352
I might sound like a complete faggot but here I go
>Agnostic, Christian background.
>I'm currently studying for the possibility of a synthesis between Christian belief and Mahayana Buddhism.
>CT, USA
>No. I have never attended proper church, but went to VBS a few times with my neighbors when I was a kid.
>>
>>602352
>muslim
>part of sunnah and jama'ah
>currently CAN west coast
>you can say that, I grew up ignoring all religious duties, hardly believed in anything about it, redeemed myself at the age of 22 and re-entered islam again.
>>
>>605550
yea you are probably right
>>
>>605376
>Theology is not interested the historical, sociological interpretations of religion
Do you seriously believe that?
>>
>>602577

JIDF stealing the dubs of the white man.
>>
File: Ehrman.jpg (51KB, 332x499px) Image search: [Google]
Ehrman.jpg
51KB, 332x499px
>>605578
Considering I have both a degree in Religious Studies and Theology. Yes.

I am very aware of both methodologies; the secular and the religious.

Religious studies interprets history through a secular lens, whereas theology interprets history through a faithful lens. The distinction is there. However, the religious community on /his/ are boarder-lining proselytization in their posts.

It's obvious, and it's not fooling anyone with a high enough brow to understand these distinctions.
>>
>>605549
>well I don't think the church and god are the same thing
>people stopped listening to the church because it got too draconian

They're not, but even if the doctrine isn't church, including religion in science would still require limitations on your findings to fit your belief structure.
>>
>>602366
Get the fuck out you autistic fedora fuck. Religion is a part of history. Get over yourself.

>History & Humanities
>History
>Humanities
Pick both or get the fuck out. There is a hide button for a reason.
>>
File: kek.png (1MB, 800x1280px) Image search: [Google]
kek.png
1MB, 800x1280px
I believe in kek
>>
>>605625
see>>605376

Religious discussion through a historical and sociological interpretation is absolutely fine.

But you and I both know that is not what people are doing here. They are proselytizing their religious beliefs everywhere. That is not his. That is Theology, not history.

You know this.

Which leaves us to suspect people are engaged in proselytization, or agenda seeking.

And there you have it. The claims people are making are legit.
>>
>>602352
>Religion
Christianity
>Sect/Denomination
Southern Baptist King James Only
>Location
Missouri
>Did you convert?
After I became saved, in my teenage years, I did some denominational wandering. I was trying to figure out what the most correct (Biblically, spiritually, and historically) and then join it. Then I realized that all denominations are flawed in one or two of those categories, and you'll never find the most correct denomination or a perfect church. Therefore, unless there is something keeping you from doing so, or unless your denomination is glaringly wrong or teaches something entirely heretical, you shouldn't leave your denomination on intellectual whim because it sets a bad precedent for other traditions and institutions in your life.

But seriously, though, if Papal Infallibility and Mariology weren't part of the Catholic church, then I would be a Catholic. That's the denomination I almost joined several times throughout this whole thing.
>>
>>605651
>They are proselytizing their religious beliefs everywhere.
>Which leaves us to suspect people are engaged in proselytization, or agenda seeking.
If you were to create a policy keeping people from proselytizing, you would, essentially, be creating a policy of no Christians on this board.
Proselytization is an inherent part of the Christian faith, and someone who does not proselytize is not a Christian.

But that is not what is at issue here. Do not put me or my Christian brothers on the defensive because you want to tip your fedora and have nobody disagree with you. There is /r/atheism for that.
The fact of the matter is that my religious beliefs, like the religious beliefs of those who practice other religions, are intrinsically a part of history. Religion and history are inseparable, as is anthropology and history, philosophy and history, military science and history, and many others. If you were to talk about Pythagoras and his theories in the historical context, nobody would say anything. If you were to talk about Muhammad in the historical context, nobody would say anything. It is only when it goes to Christianity in the historical context, and when Christians weigh in, do the fedora tippers come in and cause a shitstorm.

Nobody in their right mind would endorse a history board devoid of religion, as nobody would endorse one devoid of the discussion of anthropology, warfare, or philosophy.
>>
>>605608
That pretty much depends on the theology you studied though
>>
>>605492
The three more or less believe the same: that the others follow a corrupted version of their own religion. Islam sees itself as older than christianity and judaism, with Adam, Moses or Jesus being muslims.
>>
File: Ehrman_0.jpg (43KB, 948x1422px) Image search: [Google]
Ehrman_0.jpg
43KB, 948x1422px
>>605728
How did I know you would reduce this to "fedora"
Also, your entire post is riddled with red herrings.

Also you completely missed the part (or chose to ignore it) where I stated religious discussion through a sociological and historical interpretation is fine.

But that's not good enough for you. You want your cake and eat it too.

My God man, look at this entire thread. It is riddled with personal religious testimonies, having nothing to do with historical discussion. Are you that blinded by your fervor to proselytize that you can't see how these thread don't belong?

I think I simply hit a nerve because someone with half a brain finally is calling these threads out for what they are.

Also, don't pull the fedora card. It doesn't help your case.

If anything, a /theo/logy board would be beneficial and conducive to religious discussion from a "faithful" lens... but that's not good enough for you, is it? You want to keep this these offtopic/flamming threads going because of "personal" reasons, right?
>>
>>605770
>My God man, look at this entire thread. It is riddled with personal religious testimonies, having nothing to do with historical discussion. Are you that blinded by your fervor to proselytize that you can't see how these thread don't belong?

Not that guy, but wouldn't the fact that these fall under discussions of personal philosophy (which is distinctly a humanity) render them valid?
>>
>>605789

Theology and philosophy are not the same.
Do you know why? Have you examined their methodologies? If you have, you would know how that theology is not part of the humanities. OP is wrong. Anyone who has graduated in the humanities knows that seminar and divinitiy schools ARE NOT part of the humanities. They never have, and never will. This is because (and I'm growing very tired of repeating myself, which leads me to suspect this is too difficult for people to understand), philosophy is secular, and theology is not.
>>
File: 1443934900888.jpg (143KB, 920x679px) Image search: [Google]
1443934900888.jpg
143KB, 920x679px
>>602352
>religion
Christian
>sect/denomination
Protestant
>location
Alabama, USA
>did you convert?
No, I was raised Protestant Christian. However, I'm thinking about becoming Catholic or possibly Orthodox eventually.

I'm not happy with my religion honestly. It's probably because I don't follow it's teachings as much as I should. It's just really tough to not sin, and I feel like God won't talk to me, or that he's ignoring me, Idk.

I don't know what it feels like to be a real Christian.
>>
>>604350
He means he later reaffirmed his faith, not where he's located.
>>
>>605619
Like what?
I think fitting your belief structure to the findings is more appropriate
>>
>>605770
>I think I simply hit a nerve because someone with half a brain finally is calling these threads out for what they are.
>Finally someone with my level of enlightenment and intelligence is here to save all of you poor, dumb, religious people.
Thinking you're smarter or better because you're not religious is literally where the fedora meme came from, my friend. There is no debate with someone who thinks he is more intelligent than every single person who posts something that he disagrees with. Probably the reason why you come to a place where there are so many religious people is so you can try to make yourself feel smarter than everyone else.

Don't worry. I'm not trying to proselytize to you. All I'm trying to get you to do is realize that there is a hide button for posts that trigger the incessant need to slant your headgear, so you can more easily find those posts devoid of religious discussion or religious people that you seem to be so hungry for.
>>
>>605822
Instead of letting your findings create your beliefs (or lack there of)?

lol, what a joke.
>>
>>605551
>>did you convert?
>I did but at a young age, I was like 6

Story?
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ts3YWVFUnvU
Thread theme
>>
>>605834
I still believe in creationism but it's now more distinct, I believe god created the miracle of the human intellect
>>
>>605829
lol
>>
>>605829
most gracious laughs, brother.
>>
>>605829
Not at all. You guys were ran out of /lit/, and you will eventually find a new haven in your own board someday. It's only a matter of time. We are cool.
>>
>>605815
Hi, born and raised Catholic here. Every Christian at some point goes through what you're feeling now
[spoiler]That's because that's what all Christians feel all the time. God isn't real and you're looking quite silly wasting your life by living it in a dumb way[/spoiler]
>>
>>605822
Then how is religion playing a role in science here? Adapting your beliefs to fit findings is just the ideal of the scientific method.
>>
>>605810
But aren't there philosophies with undeniably theological implications? Neoplatonism's "the one" for instance, and couldn't one in theory come to a religious belief out of a philosophical method?
>>
>>605862
>you're looking quite silly wasting your life by living it in a dumb way

I wouldn't say that's true. Having a constant existential crisis doesn't really take up much time. Also, I don't even follow my religion much, so I can't really be wasting my time following it.
>>
>>605864
its more about making this information available people think that if you are religious then science will destroy your religion, at least that's the case where I come from.
>>
>>605457
Generally pretty well, among the ultra orthodox anyways. There's even some Palestinians who convert in Israel, and are found wives etc etc
>>
>>602352
OP's pic shows:
>Christianity
>Islam
>Judaism
>Hinduism
>Taoism
>Shinto
>Buddhism
>ext.

95% of the following pots are Christian.

/his/ lol
>>
>>605890
>On a western website
>expects there to be a wealth of diversity on /pol/ with dates
>expecting Japanese people to identify as religious at all
>>
File: 2941924300_efb7518df2_b.jpg (1MB, 1024x971px) Image search: [Google]
2941924300_efb7518df2_b.jpg
1MB, 1024x971px
>none
>n/a
>murrica
>yes?

I went to Catholic school all the way until college, but I lost my faith around middle school or so. It took a while to get over it completely.

I still have a soft spot for Catholicism in my heart. The cultural and traditional aspects still jive with me, though I could never go back to being a true believer. But I do still defend it on this board against the onslaught of heretical sects.
>>
>>605868
Wasn't Neoplatonism criticized for trying to "religify" traditional Platonism?

Though I find that kind of funny that it went almost full circle, considering Platonism can be seen as a more secular evolution of religious movements like Pythagoreanism and Orphism.
>>
>>602352
>religion
Agnostic/nontheist
>sect/denomination
N/A
>location
Central Ohio
>did you convert?
Twice. Raised non-denominational Christian, became an edgy Atheist, am currently a more mellowed out student of other cultures.
>>
File: with jews you win.jpg (77KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
with jews you win.jpg
77KB, 1280x720px
>>605883
>There's even some Palestinians who convert in Israel, and are found wives
>and are found wives

Please tell me there's some magic trick to convert without chopping your dick. I'm generally not very friendly towards Israel, but praise Yahveh or whatever if they give away free qts.
>>
>>604197
And at least 90% of those morons think Communism is a good idea.
>>
>>605836
Not a big story, my parents are pretty liberal so they aren't big on baptism at birth
Essentially my grandma asked me if I wanted to get one so I said yes, but I don't regret it.
>>
>>605949
the other 10% think national socialism is the greatest thing on earth
>>
>>605992
But there's already a board for those guys!
>>
>>606012
pol is reddit now
>>
>>602352
>religion
No religion (born in an atheist family)
>sect/denomination
None.
>location
Spain
>did you convert?
I would say I'm spiritual but better not since this term is used by 40 years old women who practice yoga to kill the boredom. I believe in god but I can't say I've converted to any religion.
>>
>>606042
How do you worship god?
>>
>>606048
>thinking you need a church to worship God
>>
>>605941
It is literally impossible to convert W/o getting your dick snipped

The amount of learning and extensive study youd have to do in order to have a wife found for you by joining the ultra orthodox doesn't seem worth it imo
>>
>>605941
>>606064
What I mean by that is no one else but ultra orthodox would find you a wife as well
>>
>>606064
>>606069

Shit religion t.b.h.
>>
File: uu_extremists.jpg (10KB, 236x236px) Image search: [Google]
uu_extremists.jpg
10KB, 236x236px
>>602352
Sure, I'll bite, even if only to see if the flavor is any different from /pol/

>religion
Unitarian Universalist

>sect/denomination
Tend to float between the Atheist (Thursday), Buddhist (Friday), and CUUPS (Wednesday) wings.

...And yes, we kinda have sects, which is why I didn't list Christian as religion and Unitarian as a sect... We're maybe 30% Christian, though almost universally in denial of his divinity, which we believe defeats his message.

>location
Born Commifornia, currently Commiefornia, though about 1/2 of life spent in England, Boston, and Japan.

>did you convert?
No... Mumsi is a Unitarian Atheist (Republican) who sings in the choir, Dadsi was a Christian Scientist (Democrat) who converted to Christian Unitarianism and helped organize said. Childhood, was, interesting...
>>
>>602352
>religion
cult of Ben Garrison
>sect
Radical baneposting
>location
4chan TV and /pol/
>convert
I guess I was a baneposter before it was even a thing; before when I was a discarnate, BANE? was already an important part of my constitution. Regardless, we live in a world where might is right hence the ben garrison cult.
>>
>>606116
I got cut by a doctor, lucky 4 me
>>
>>606048
He talks to me and I talk to him. I ask and he gives (when he wants to give), he orders and I obey. I don't think he wants whorship, just respect and humility when I ask. Gratitude too when he gives. If I feel overcome by joy or need I might restort to spontaneous gestural submission but it's only to better express myself, it's me and not him who needs this spontaneous "whorship".
>>
>>606148
UU guy says you should turn off the TV and hook yourself up with some Ragnar Redbeard.
>>
I am christian
I'm not sure on what sect I should choose. I tend towards reformed, but then again "faith without works is dead".
I was born anglican, but when I learned more about its history and how potentially corrupt an episcopal system can be I changed.

I am open to more ideas as I am very new to really reading the bible and interpreting it.
>>
>>606167
I think the relationship with god is a very personal one, I have free will so i don't have to worship god but in worshiping him I try to make the world a better place, I worship god with art and music
I worship god by getting lost in his creation
>>
File: phil101.jpg (58KB, 604x453px) Image search: [Google]
phil101.jpg
58KB, 604x453px
>>606369
>I have free will so
Oh there ya go, triggering half the board.
>>
>>606381
creativity is free will
doing things that no one else has done before is free will
everything else you are just following something
this is my definition of free will
>>
>>606369
This is good, I do more or less the same. I'm not talented with music so I don't do that, though.

I don't really think that the world as we see it should or can be made better by a man, though. That's where I differ with you
>>
>>605414
This picture is taboo by islams, because they are barbarians.
>>
>religion
Deism
>sect/denomination
N/A
>location
England UK
>did you convert?
I was raised as a typical post Industrialization Church of England kid. My parents were not really into it, but at the same time they weren't totally against religion. It's more a half assed approach, picking and choosing bits of Anglicanism which suited them, like christenings and church weddings.
>>
>>606381
The other half would just get triggered over causality if he said the opposite.
>>
>>605351
Faith as a "virtue" is a word-game to promote believing in things without evidence. As there is no evidence for God, religion needs some way to make this irrational behavior seem good. So they say you are being a moral person by demonstrating "faith". Conveniently, it also connotes "loyalty", another useful trait for a follower to have.
>>
>>606394
the skills in art and music are just practice makes perfect
creativity is something harder to explain
also I don't mean to call god a man, i think of god as a force

>>606395
triggered
>>
>>606904
t. neitzche
>>
>>604197
Australian posters
>>
>>606395
It could be some Imam or other figure than Muhammad (PBUH)
>>
>>602352
>are we allowed to discuss our own religions with other people?

why would you want this

have you not been on this website for long
>>
File: saxons who are wrong.jpg (42KB, 500x534px) Image search: [Google]
saxons who are wrong.jpg
42KB, 500x534px
>>602352
>tfw you will never be able to pray at the great Irminsul to Thunor and Wodan.
thanks Charlie for making a cool religion the religion of autists, neckbeards and larpers.
>>
>>606920
>American posters

FTFY
>>
>>606952
its been pretty civil so far
>>
>>605528
You're a sanctimonious cunt, you know that?
>>
>>606979
t. ausfag
>>
>>607424
K
>>
>>607491
No, seriously, why did you report this thread? It falls well within the parameters of "history and humanities," so the only reason you could have to want it gone is because you're an asspained turbonerd.
>>
File: 1354437249088.jpg (38KB, 184x184px) Image search: [Google]
1354437249088.jpg
38KB, 184x184px
>>602352
Christianity.

Catholicism.

U.S east coast.

Yes, I converted when older.
>>
Christianity
Evangelicalism
Maine
Sort off
>>
>>606912
t. guy who has never spelled Nietzsche right
>>
>>607534
Do you believe Nietzsche without evidence lol?
>>
>>607497
>>602577
>>603270
>>603307
>>603333
>>604690
>>602514
Gross
>>
>>603881
They believe in stuff down there?
>>
>>604408
Because Calvin is bullshit try Evangelicalism
>>
>>607543
(you)
>>
>people complaining that this thread doesn't belong on this board
>mods don't care
>thread stays up
>nothing these faggots can do about it

God, I love /his/.
>>
>>607554
I can find flaws in so many religions and you can't find one in Evangelicalism
>>
>>607553
Nah, it's all the same nonsense.
>>
File: 1448982059397.png (28KB, 240x193px) Image search: [Google]
1448982059397.png
28KB, 240x193px
>>607553
>that's bullshit
>try bullshit
>>
>religion
Atheist, formerly Christian

>sect/denomination
Was raised and baptised in the Christian-Missionary Alliance, an evangelical denomination, but converted to Orthodox Presbyterianism in my late teens/early 20s. Left the faith in my late 20s.

>location
NE Ohio

>did you convert?
I converted once, then found irreligion.

Despite my atheism, I still have a lot of respect for confessional Presbyterianism, as well as all other orthodox, traditional, liturgical forms of Christianity. I also have a lot of respect for other traditional streams of Islam, Judaism, and Buddhism. I find most forms of liberalism and "disorganized" religions to be pointless vanity and I've never felt comfortable with any of them. Plus they're a pain in the ass to talk to. With traditional organized religion, you know where you stand and you can pin down what they believe.
>>
>>607563
Nope it's not bullshit it's just that your a stubborn mule and need to be whip in into something
>>
>>607561
Nope it's diffrant retard
>>
>>605862
You cover up your horns and tail poorly
>>
>>607553
not him, but I much prefer Calvin and his peers and Reformed Orthodox successors than I do Joel Osteen, Rick Warren, and T.D. "Sabellius" Jakes.
>>
>>607543
Gross
>>
File: Vishnu_liegend_mit_Lakshmi.jpg (1MB, 1273x821px) Image search: [Google]
Vishnu_liegend_mit_Lakshmi.jpg
1MB, 1273x821px
Hindu
Sri Vaishnava
Australia
I wasn't religious to begin with.
>>
>>607581
Based on the same false premise, the nitpicks are irrelevant.
>>
>religion
Christian

>Sect/denomination
[spoiler]Episcopalian[/spoiler]

>location
Texas

>did you convert?
nope
>>
File: image.jpg (16KB, 125x108px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
16KB, 125x108px
>>607598
>Joel osteen
>>
>>607642
Nope not at all moron
>>
>>607577
Are you a redneck? Serious question.
>>
>>607654
Well aren't you just the cutest lil darling.
>>
>>607656
Nope
>>
>>607668
Well then what's your problem, why the UnChristlike insults? Is that how you plan to win souls for heaven?
>>
>>605608
Did you study scholasticism as part of your theology?

Whilst I can see how flawed the historicity of the Bible and church are I find myself unable to respond to their logical proofs.

As a result Im in a odd spot where it seems that God is real, but only in a wholly alien and abstract way/
>>
>>607495
Because Christians post a exceptionally large volume of subpar threads, this being a prime example.
>>
>>607953
I don't see how this thread is any worse than the millions of other survey threads on 4chan
>>
File: 1440864078827.jpg (45KB, 470x459px) Image search: [Google]
1440864078827.jpg
45KB, 470x459px
>>605582
>kek
>>
>>607598
I prefer Calvin because I'm not responsible for every bad thing I had done according to his shitty system
>>
File: abstract.png (6KB, 224x225px) Image search: [Google]
abstract.png
6KB, 224x225px
>None
>N/A
>Central Taiwan, though I'm Canadian

Dad's a militant atheist STEMfag, reads Dawkins, Hitchens and Harris, and I did a degree in religious studies. I still can't believe any of it, too much of a natural skeptic, but at least I've developed some respect for religion I hadn't as a child.
>>
>>605528
>announcing a report

What a dumbass.
>>
>>607953
There are tons of discussion on religious faiths going on in this thread, you ignorant cunt.

Go make a Dawkins thread and jerk off there if it'll make your ass stop hurting so much.
>>
My personal belief is a little mix of everything, Buddhism, Hinduism, Thelema, Ceremonial Magick, to Nihilism, Cosmic Indifference, Ásatrú
>>
>>602352
>religion
Muslim (cultural)
>sect/denomination
Sunni I guess
>>location
Originally feom Bangladesh but now in NY
>>did you convert?
Nope born in it
>>
File: the mormons were right.png (381KB, 346x504px) Image search: [Google]
the mormons were right.png
381KB, 346x504px
>>602352

>religion
Christian
>sect/denomination
Latter Day Saint(Mormon).
>location
Eastern coast of USA
>did you convert?
I was raised in the church. My parents were converted by missionaries who came to their country.
>>
>>610116
>Christian
>Latter Day Saint(Mormon).

Lol, good one.

What country are you from?
>>
>>610176

>What country are you from?

Both my parents are Filipino. I was born in America.
>>
>>610187
Alright cool.
Sorry for being a douche in my last post.

Do Mormons believe that you have to be Mormon to go to heaven (or your planet or whatever)?

Does your religion bring you happiness?

Is it weird being one of the few minorities in Mormonism?
>>
>>602481
/lit/ is dying. It's just a shell now.
>>
>>610207

No, its cool man. I get that response a lot actually. But I hope I can give you some information about my religion.

>Do Mormons believe that you have to be Mormon to go to heaven (or your planet or whatever)?

Mormons believe that most people will get to heaven. There is a place known as "Outer Darkness" that is almost synonymous to the Jewish definition of hell. Only the worst of souls wind up there. But for the most part, if you lived a good life, you may return to the presence of Jesus Christ.

However, to continue the eternal cycle of creation just as Heavenly Father created the universe, requires certain covenants to be made with him. In Mormonism there is the belief that mortals can become like God. Not become greater that God, but become as eternal He is, just as Jesus was once like us. Nothing monetary is required to be like God, but solemn oaths and righteous living can bring forth the blessings of heaven.

>Does your religion bring you happiness?

To my friends and colleagues, probably yes. But myself personally, not much, but I don't think I'm living my life the way He wants me to live it right now. Yet there's a certain universal kind of despair that I feel that everyone, even Mormons, have about life. But the church has given me a lot of spiritual guidance, comfort, and strength where my own has failed.

>Is it weird being one of the few minorities in Mormonism?

Not really. I go to a branch that has a lot of minorities. If you go to a place in the midwest, closer to Utah, then its going to be harder to find minorities. On another note, what media the church pours out feels so heavily white-washed and forced sometimes. They've been trying to make themselves seem more normal and mainstream through media campaigns. My friends might digest it so easily, but it comes off corny me.
>>
>>610431
>But myself personally, not much, but I don't think I'm living my life the way He wants me to live it right now. Yet there's a certain universal kind of despair that I feel that everyone, even Mormons, have about life.

I feel this way too senpai ;-;
>>
>>602352
Christianity
Roman Catholic
Los Angeles, CA
I was born in it, molded by it.
>>
>>605175
>>605261 isn't me.
Faith is above rationality but one needs to use his reason in order to understand the principles of Islam.
>>
File: zazen4.jpg (21KB, 226x207px) Image search: [Google]
zazen4.jpg
21KB, 226x207px
>>602352
>religion
Zen Buddhism
>sect/denomination
Sōtō, the center I practice at is affiliated with AZI
>location
Sweden
>did you convert?
Yes
>>
>>611370
>Sweden
>Convert

Of course
>>
File: image.jpg (37KB, 480x480px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
37KB, 480x480px
>>605127
>sect/denomination
Quranist
>location
France

Good lord... You're exactly what they warn us about
>>
>>605432
>"Looking to convert to Judaism!!!"
>unknowingly posts pic of Ad-Dajjal
kek
>>
>>611653
You wouldn't stay in the Church of Sweden either.

A lot of these northern Euro churches are basically secular humanist meet ups with songs and crucifixes.
>>
>>605127
>Koranist

Tell me how you pray all five salats in their proper format, how you do wudhu, how you donate zakat. Please.
>>
born and raised and still practicing Roman Catholic, from Michigan.

My favorite bible story is the one where Jesus sees the rich man making a big fucking deal out of how devout he is, just making a scene, while the poor man is quietly praying and being humble as fuck.
I go to church every sunday, and try to lead a moral life, but I don't go in for the over-the-top singing and dancing and youth groups and all that, it feels like showing off.
>>
>>602366
Honestly I'm fine with philosophy but relgion threads just going on and on without end are annoying as fuck
>>
File: 1310497622740.jpg (24KB, 525x481px) Image search: [Google]
1310497622740.jpg
24KB, 525x481px
>>611708
As an Orthodox, I appreciate my fellow brother Church faithful trying to live a life of humble spirituality.
>>
>>602352
Conservative Jew in Atlanta. Not converted, bloodline is completly pure Jew. I see it as more of a ethnicity rather than a relgion tho
>>
>>611713
right back atcha.

I confess I do love the super-ornate churches and cathedrals, though. they feel at least properly directed at God.
>>
>>603333
I was almost the same. After looking into all denominations and trying some of them, I settled on the real presence of Christ in the Eucharist and the liturgical worship fashion of the Catholic Church. If it wasn't for Papal Infallibility and the deification of Mary, I would be a Catholic today.

Then I floated toward Lutheranism. I almost converted to Lutheranism, because it seemed like Catholicism without the guy playing God and the idea that Jesus' mom was born without sin and lived without sin. But, by the time I made it to Lutheranism, I had been so educated on occultism and black magic that I saw right through certain aspects of Luther and his church.
First of all, the Luther cross wasn't invented by him. It is the Rosicrucian Cross, used in black magic liturgy by the Rosicrucian Order. The Order is a black magic cult in league with the Freemasons. It was no shock, then, to find out that Luther was an alchemist.

I wasn't really sure where to go, then, until some things happened in my life where I was really up against it for a while. Then, it occurred to me that these stipulations of theology do not matter much at all next to your relationship with the Creator. So, I went back to my Southern Baptist church where I belong. Now I profess the 1689 Baptist Confession.
>>
>>605890
are there even many pure shinto & taoists??
>>
>>607608
how does one become hindu? it seems so esoteric and like it would take decades to get into
>>
>>611903
It's not that esoteric. It's just different from Abrahamic religions. To become 'hindu' you: 1- believe in reincarnation, 2 - dharma and karma, and 3 - call yourself a Hindu. Being a hindu is just the beginning. just as how Christianity has many denominations, Hinduism as many 'sampradayas'. But let's not get into Traditions, it can be quite difficult to remember all of Hinduism. I'm been one for a year now.
>>
>Christian
>Roman Catholic (Salesian)
>California
>Raised Catholic by Agnostic mother. Was given the opportunity to find my own faith growing up. I chose to be Catholic, taking St. John Bosco as my Patron Saint in my confirmation four year ago.
>>
>>605685
You scare me a little bit.
Thread posts: 260
Thread images: 46

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.