[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Anglo-Saxon Kingdoms

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 32
Thread images: 9

File: Heptarchy1.png (7KB, 298x358px) Image search: [Google]
Heptarchy1.png
7KB, 298x358px
Which Anglo-Saxon kingdom in the heptarchy was thes best? Which was your favorite? Why?

Also, what are some good historical reading materials concerning the Anglo-Saxons and the Heptarchy?
>>
>>590416
>the best
I think the power as centuries goes on is Northumbria > Mercia > Wessex. Penda(Mercia?) is a pretty cool guy, kills a bunch of Bede's favourite christian kings and doesn't afraid of everything.

Wessex rises to the top because Alfred's dad manages to kill all the aethelings(individuals considered king-worthy and therefore a threat to the king) which means his kingdom is a lot more stable when the vikings come rolling in.
>>
>>590416
>good historical reading materials

Anything by James Campbell is a good start. One argument you should be aware of when reading about Anglo-Saxons is that a lot of the big historians(Campbell included) argue that the Anglo-Saxons ruled a pretty complex state for their time, but IMO they put too much emphasis on the good qualities of the anglo-saxon state because it's their field of study. Paul R. Hyams challenges this point of view pretty well in his book 'Rancour and reconciliation'.
>>
>>590441
>Rancor and Reconciliation

Do you have a torrent for that? Can't seem to find any way to read it.
>>
>>590441
So to get a more accurate historical picture I should read both Campbell and the Hyams book? I'm curious about the positive and negative aspects of the Anglo-Saxon Kingdoms and prefer a more accurate account, though entertainment value is worth something too.
>>
Why is Kent's flag usually represented as horse these days? The Anglo-Saxons got notoriously raped by Norman cavalry. Kind of feels inappropriate.
>>
File: Hors and Hengist.jpg (37KB, 800x356px) Image search: [Google]
Hors and Hengist.jpg
37KB, 800x356px
>>590490

>Hengist (or Hengest) and Horsa (or Hors) are figures of Anglo-Saxon history, which records the two as the Germanic brothers who led the Angle, Saxon, Frisian, and Jutish armies that conquered the first territories of Britain in the 5th century. Tradition lists Hengist (through his son, whose name varies by source) as the founder of the Kingdom of Kent.

>The Old English names Hengest and Horsa mean "stallion" and "horse" respectively.[1]

Pic related.
>>
>>590508
Yet they never thought of cavalry?
>>
>>590485
I don't have a torrent but you don't really need the whole book to understand the point he's making, anything on feud in anglo-saxon england will cover it.

>>590486
There's no need to read Hyams, Campbell does a perfectly good job of covering Anglo-Saxon history and culture, he just tends to overstate the efficiency of it.
>>
>>590512
The Anglo-Saxons used cavalry it was just secondary in their arsenal because of the quality of British horses, whereas it was a staple of Norman fighting, the battle of Hastings was a more close run thing than people give the Anglo-Saxons credit for.
>>
>>590514
Okay, cool. Thanks for the recommendation.
>>
>>590416
MERCIA
E
R
C
I
A
>>
>>590658
Mercians were a bunch of Islamic cucks
Wessex4lyfe
>>
East Anglia

Source: I live there
>>
File: 1412639946801.gif (977KB, 480x270px) Image search: [Google]
1412639946801.gif
977KB, 480x270px
>tfw no organised kingdom of Surrey
>>
Wasn't Northumbria this really cool Germanic-Celtic cultural mix?
>>
Only real Anglo-Saxons:

Yorkshiremen, East Mercians, East Anglians, Kentishmen

rest of Britain are celtic tree niggers
>>
>>591591
reminder,
Anglo-Saxons and Jews are the real nephilim, reptilian hybrids

you can't be an elite without being Anglo or a Jew. You cannot survive
>>
File: Anglo_persecution.jpg (234KB, 431x696px) Image search: [Google]
Anglo_persecution.jpg
234KB, 431x696px
>>591636
This

Anglos = anti Race

Reminder

The end goal of the ANGLO agenda is that all races mix themselves into one Brown uni-race that is goverened by beady-eyed ANGLO BLOOD and intelligent enough to consume and work for low wages but dumb enough to never restist to the Eternal ANGLO
>>
>>591591
Normans > Anglo-Saxons > C*lts
>>
>>591747
Inverse list of civilisation?
>>
What happened to native britons?GET OUT OF BRITANIA YOU FUCKING ANGLO SEX PIECE OF SHITS
>>
>>594382
According to nationalist "Celts", the Britons were exterminated or fled to a man out of lowland England and into the mountains of Wales and the old north.

According to sane, rational people, they were merely culturally assimilated by a dominant Anglo-Saxon culture. There is little ethnic difference between modern English and Welsh people.
>>
>>594463
>There is little ethnic difference between modern English and Welsh people.
That is what it seems. According to surveys done on one of those surveys presented on a Neil Oliver show, Britain is still vastly British, with Anglo-Saxon-Jutes, Normans, and Scandinavians (all the same, anyway) being barely present in English DNA as a whole.
>>
File: Alfred_le_Grand.jpg (131KB, 551x1024px) Image search: [Google]
Alfred_le_Grand.jpg
131KB, 551x1024px
>the House of Wessex will never be restored
>England will not be ruled by Witan again
>Ancient liberties are step by step being removed by the Norman yoke

Everything bad the British ever done was done by Normans, everything good was done by Anglo-Saxons and their heritage.
>>
>>595208
>Alfred Le Grand
>Le Grand
>Le

Norman spy get out
>>
File: 1444988850863.jpg (147KB, 520x676px) Image search: [Google]
1444988850863.jpg
147KB, 520x676px
>>590416
I'd go with Northumbria just because Lindisfarne is so based.
>>
>>595208
>be Anglo-Saxonaboo
>get shit stomped by Norman cavalry
>still whine about it
>>
File: art thou?.png (771KB, 1225x869px) Image search: [Google]
art thou?.png
771KB, 1225x869px
>>595268
>Be Normanboo
>Contribute nothing to world culture other than bloodshed
>>
File: AIH0005.jpg (172KB, 520x779px) Image search: [Google]
AIH0005.jpg
172KB, 520x779px
>>590416
>what are some good historical reading materials concerning the Anglo-Saxons
>>
>>590521
well yeah, the Norman cavalry were by and large ineffective at Hastings. Had the English flank not broke formation and ran down the hill they'd have held the field at the very least.
>>
>>595461
Stenton's a bit outdated. Higham's Anglo-Saxon World is more recent, and anything by Dawn Hadley is worth reading if you're more into the archaeological aspects
Thread posts: 32
Thread images: 9

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.