[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Tyrian Purple

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 29
Thread images: 4

File: Purpur-mit-Ausfaerbung.png (180KB, 688x858px) Image search: [Google]
Purpur-mit-Ausfaerbung.png
180KB, 688x858px
I got an idea. I want to collect those snails the next time I'm on holiday and make myself a real tyrian purple T-shirt. Are here any guides how to do it? How many snails would I need to get for one T-shirt?
>>
>>586987
You probably don't have the social standing to pull it off.
>>
>>587005
I already have a viable plan to retake Constantinople and crown myself a Basileos. The purple t-shirt is the last thing I need.
>>
Kind of wasting it if you use it on a t-shirt

use it on a dress shirt or something instead.

"twelve thousand snails of Murex brandaris yield no more than 1.4 g of pure dye, enough to colour only the trim of a single garment.
>>
>>586987
Good luck, the exact method how the Phoenicians fixed the colour is still lost. You'll need a fuckton of those snails (you'll probably find larger deposits near the African Atlantic coast) and after a day or so, the colour will turn red instead of purple.
>>
>>587015
>I already have a viable plan to retake Constantinople and crown myself a Basileos. The purple t-shirt is the last thing I need.

Is there a Sebastokrator opening?
>>
>>587034
>>587028
Well, fuck.
I also found some company selling the dye commercially. They sell 25mg for around 100 dollars, meaning the gye for a tshirt would be like 10 000 dollars.
>>
File: 1372674761372.jpg (6KB, 247x248px) Image search: [Google]
1372674761372.jpg
6KB, 247x248px
>after years of work and collecting of more than 30000 snails Anon finally makes his tshirt
>proundly walks on a street, wearing the color of emperors
>skinheads see him
>hey, why are you wearing a pink thsirt? Are you some kind of faggot?
>n-no that's a royal color
>You are a royal faggot!
>they beat him up and tear his tshirt
>>
>>587109
>No, it was supposed to be a white t-shit for White Power but my mom put it in with some coloureds. That's what happens when you race-mix clothes.
>Anon becomes emperor of the skinheads.
>>
>>586987
twelve thousand snails of Murex brandaris yield no more than 1.4 g of pure dye, enough to colour only the trim of a single garment.
>>
>>587028
A tie (or bow tie if you're a fag) would probably be the most practical thing.
>>
>>587572
I guess 1 gram would be enough for a tie. Now I need to get only 10 000 snails or 4 000 dollars to buy the dye
>>
>all those snails
How the hell did they not go extinct if it took that many of them to get a minuscule amount of dye?
>>
>>587960
this
>>
>>587841
>I guess 1 gram would be enough for a tie
it would not
>>
>>587960
>>588352

They are snails. They are hermaphrodites, they breed all the time, they produce thousands of fertilized eggs in a single go, and they mature in weeks.

Their two surivial techniques are 1.) thin shell that literally every predator can get into 2.) fast reproduction.
>>
>dye is so expensive literally only one guy in the entire empire can actually afford it
How is that a sustainable business model
>>
>>587462
Can you cite that sauce?
>>
>>588392
You charge that one guy a LOT of money and then that one guy convinces other turbo rich rulers that they need this snail dye or they're losers.
>>
Why didn't anybody just mix red and blue dye?
>>
>>588528
Hard to get the specific tone. Also tyrian purple gets even nicer and shinier with time and exposure to sun, unlike other dyes that will fade.
>>
File: 1449448720449.jpg (43KB, 600x693px) Image search: [Google]
1449448720449.jpg
43KB, 600x693px
>>588528
>>
>>587053
Hence, why only Emperors are clothed in it
>>
>>588392
Same as people who make diamond-encrusted christmas tree ornaments and the like. You only need a couple of morons a year to keep you in business.
>>
>>589750
>only emperors wore tyrian purple
Fucking please. god damn, why would you even say that, that's not even a common myth.
>>
>>589779
Source pls
>>
>>589819
Literally all historical evidence points to senators wearing tyrian purple to some extend, 1 strip if senator on your toga, but as much as you desired depending on current conduct laws and position (and obviously wealth).
Generally a short google search on your own is polite if you're gonna ask other people for source.
>>
>>589852
I meant it in a metaphorical sense
>>
>>588383
>thin shell that literally every predator can get into

How is this a survival technique?
Thread posts: 29
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.