[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Was slavery something common in european countries before the

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 37
Thread images: 1

File: slave-ship-2.jpg (225KB, 592x580px) Image search: [Google]
slave-ship-2.jpg
225KB, 592x580px
Was slavery something common in european countries before the discovery of the New World?
>>
>>571314
I heard the Irish was slaves
>>
>>571314
It did happen but never on an industrial-esque scale, and it wasn't nearly as race driven.

But yes it did happen. I know there were some African slaves in England in the middle ages (but I lost my source, so you're just gonna have to call me a liar or take my word for it)
>>
>>571314

Greece and Rome.
Depending on how loose you want to be with your definitions, bondsmen, serfs and your average feudal peasant were basically slaves.
>>
>>571355
>bondsmen, serfs and your average feudal peasant were basically slaves.
haha
>>
>>571314
Italian cities like Florence imported slave girls from Asia, they were well treated
>>
>>573276

"well treated" aka raped for their entire life?
>>
>>573257
in many places lords could kill serfs with impunity

the main difference between European serfs and American/Roman slaves was the lack of a huge slave trade with slaves constantly being brought in, serfs were a static population who performed the same tasks on the land year after year
>>
>>571314
Literally every indigenous european people took slaves. But so did people worldwide, let's stop pretending otherwise
>>
>>573322

thats wrong tho, the lack of slave trade and so on, there were whole slave routs troughout europe

also there is allready another thread, or more, about this

its literaly on the first page
>>
>>573296
Within the context of being a slave.
Grow a brain.
>>
>>573276
Which part of Asia, the middle east or oriental girls?
>>
>>573390
Prove to me that better access to shit like food and less beatings outweighs the extent to which they were constantly raped

>calls sex slaves well off
>"get a brain"
>>
>>571314
Yes. Turks took a lot of slaves from the various european countries they were at war with.

However you wont see this mentioned by any of those who use muh slavery for their political gains.
>>
>>571314
Literally every country has at some point utilized slavery.
>>
>>573390
I'd say being raped over and over isnt a good way to be treated even as a slave

Even the women of the Ottoman Harem could father a sultan and become influential
>>
>>573934
I imagine they'd been conditioned from birth to find it normative. Maybe they wouldn't think more of it than it being their lot in life. Like a serf who is resigned to till the earth for the rest of his life with no hope of upward mobility.
>>
>>574038
What about recent countries?
>>
>>571314
Slavs were oftenly used as slaves by Germanic tribes during the Dark Age
>>
>>571355
Fuck off Marx.
>>
>>571314
>Was slavery something common in european countries before the discovery of the New World?
Yes but not chattel slavery. Chattel slavery was worse than basically any other kind.
>>
>>577961
I kind of have a feeling that there are these 2 opposing radicals shitting the whole board here.
>>
>>577981
Of what character and ideology though? DeMaistre and Marx?
>>
Basicly all cultures had slaves at some point of history. Hunter gatherers are maybe a bit different, but already in a simple hortocultural farm work or sheep herding it is handy to have some war captives from the neighbouring tribe to do the rough work.
>>
In the form of Serfdom yeah.
>>
>>578127
I'd argue that serfdom isn't really the same as slavery
Serfs were tied to the land but not considered property in the same sense a slave was, they could not be bought or sold, they had legal protections, and could bring grievances before a manorial court.

But as for >>571314
It largely tapered off during the early middle ages outside of Byzantine. It still existed but was rare and largely replaced by serfdom and no where near the ubiquitary you see later in the new world
>>
In Russia, slavery was not ended before 1725, by Peter the Great. And the serfdom remained.
>>
>>571314
Yes and no.

Around the year 0 slavery was practiced pretty much in every European tribe/nation.

Early medieval Christians pushed quite hard to abolish slavery and succeeded. By the year 1000 most of Europe was relatively slave free except for some border areas in the Southern European countries. After the discovery of the New World the Pope said fuck it to 700 years of church work and declared slavery okay again. Protestant countries naturally saw this as a papal deviation from the scripture or whatnot and still banned slavery in the continental part of their empire.
>>
>>571314
>Was slavery something common in european countries before the discovery of the New World?

Slavery drove the economy of the Roman empire, and the Greek city-states.
>>
Depends on when and what time. Very common in antiquity, still happened later on but not on a big scale.
>>
>>571314
It was common in the classical period. Slavery was the natural thing to do with the captives from the incessant internecine warfare between tribes/city states. Most of them would just have been treated like a lower class of servant. As trading expanded industrial-scale slavery started to take hold - where before a slave would have been part of a household, as the network of trade routes around the mediterranean developed you could get whole mines run with nothing but slaves.

Also, the wars of conquest of the Roman Empire produced huge numbers of captives, and slavery reached its peak in the late-Republican and early-Imperial period. The patchwork of peasant farmers were bought out by large landowners who turned their farms into huge industrial enterprises where almost all the labour was slaves. As the Roman Empire's wars of conquest slowed down, slavery slowed down with it. In much the same way that the subject peoples of the Empire slowly got citizenship, so slaves slowly got more rights. By the mid-Imperial period, ~150AD, it was no longer legal to arbitrarily kill slaves, and slaves that were abandoned due to age or illness were considered to have been freed - this points to a general increase in slave rights. From an economic standpoint, it simply became cheaper for many landowners to employ day-labourers (who were often so dirt poor that they were little better than slaves anyway) who would work seasonally rather than feed slaves all year round. Slavery still remained common throughout the Empire, though.
>>
>>579303

When the Dark Ages hit, trade routes collapsed and it was no longer possible to have large slave markets with labour transported from all across Europe. As well as that, since it was no longer possible to transport farm produce over great distances to market, industrial-scale farming waned. Essentially slaves got more expensive just as demand for them decreased.

There was evidently still some slave trading - one dark age pope is reported to have sent a mission to Christianise England upon seeing Saxon slave boys for sale in Rome - but as an institution slavery more or less collapsed. At this point, slaves were once again being produced mostly from petty internecine warfare. Which meant that slaves were mostly from nearby, which meant that they were mostly Christian. And the Church frowned upon enslaving other Christians. As Europe became more Christianised and places like England were converted by the later dark ages, there became fewer and fewer sources of pagan captives. Which isn't to say that slavery stopped entirely, but the combination of the economic factors and church disapproval brought it more or less to a bare minimum.

One later example of slavery on a large scale in Europe were the Vikings. Their raids were often carried out with a view to obtaining slaves, and as traders they bought and sold slaves from Ireland to the Ukraine. But as anti-Viking defences improved and Scandanavia became steadily more Christianised, these too dropped off.

By the time of the discovery of the New World, slavery was very uncommon in Europe. The trade networks still weren't there to support it, and in any case feudalism and serfdom meant that instead of having to capture people, you captured land and the labour came with it. I don't know for certain but I would guess that the Italian city-states probably still traded slaves around with Mediterranean with the Arabs, who still had plenty of slavery. But in most of Europe slavery was mostly non-existent.
>>
>>577970
>Chattel slavery was worse than basically any other kind.
tell that to the eunuchs
>>
>>571355
>serfs and your average feudal peasant were basically slaves.
literally the worst meme involving the medieval era
>>
>>573296
>"well treated" aka raped for their entire life?
rape is a social construct by the liberals.
>>
>>581383
>rape is a social construct by the liberals.
Indeed, but the social construction of sexuality against will by african slaves was one of abhorrence and later (with the progenity, or progenitus in the case of male rape) tolerance.

>>581302
Look at the reinfeudation.
>>
the point of a slave is that he has no will as the master. this is even true when it comes to women, even today.
Thread posts: 37
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.