[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Jesus Wrong About Second Coming

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 63
Thread images: 11

File: 1451351157298.jpg (173KB, 413x500px) Image search: [Google]
1451351157298.jpg
173KB, 413x500px
Numerous passages in the Bible portray Jesus clearly stating that the Second Coming would occur within the lifetime of his disciples.

>"Verily I say unto you, This generation shall not pass, till all these things be fulfilled."

— Matthew 24:34

"This generation" refers to a span of 30-40 years, thus placing the date of the second coming before the deaths of the disciples. C.S. Lewis called this "the most embarrassing verse in the Bible" in The World’s Last Night and Other Essays.

Three more verses explicitly state that some of the people listening to Jesus as he preached would not die before he returned.

>"Verily I say unto you, There be some standing here, which shall not taste of death, till they see the Son of man coming in his kingdom."

— Matthew 16:28

>"And he said unto them, Verily I say unto you, That there be some of them that stand here, which shall not taste of death, till they have seen the kingdom of God come with power."

— Mark 9:1

>"But I tell you of a truth, there be some standing here, which shall not taste of death, till they see the kingdom of God."

— Luke 9:27

Jesus also told people that "the time is short and they should not get married, not mourn, not be happy, not buy things, and not live "in the world". This again indicates that Jesus himself believed his return to be extremely imminent. (1 Corinthians 7:29-31, 1 Peter 4:7)

Later on, followers began to make up ad-hoc excuses for why it hasn't happened yet. Trying to interpret what Jesus said, that his return was "imminent" and "at hand", as "thousands of years from now". (2 Peter 3)
>>
He came back in 70 CE
>>
>not being a preterist

It's like you're actually retarded
>>
>>520390
Why does the bible have excuses in it if it already happened then?
>>
>>520395
What excuses?
>>
oh this post again
>>
>>520403
Did you even read the OP?
>>
>"This generation" refers to a span of 30-40 years, thus placing the date of the second coming before the deaths of the disciples. C.S. Lewis called this "the most embarrassing verse in the Bible" in The World’s Last Night and Other Essays.

no, that's your opinion. generation can mean people of like mind or character... in this case, all believers in Christ. and believers in Christ still exist

>Mat 16:28 "Verily I say unto you, There be some standing here, which shall not taste of death, till they see the Son of man coming in his kingdom."

some do see him coming in his kingdom in the very next verse... Peter, James and John with the transfiguration

same with Mark 9:1

same with Luke 9:27

Paul wrote Corinthians, Peter wrote 1 Peter. they didn't know when Jesus was to come back, after he had ascended. but their words remain true today, because time could well be short for us. bear in mind Abraham was 2500 years before Christ, we're only 2000 years after christ... so using a biblical timeline, we're still in the "time has grown short" period
>>
File: bbb.png (39KB, 613x633px) Image search: [Google]
bbb.png
39KB, 613x633px
>>520431

pic related
>>
He did return. But nobody was worth saving, we are living on the apocalypse anon. We have been for nearly 2000 years.
>>
>>520424
I don't see any excuses. It all already happened.

http://www.charlescoty.com/user/2%20Peter%203.8%20-%20Dr.%20Kelly%20Birks.pdf
>>
>>520450
I'll just quote it.

> Later on, followers began to make up ad-hoc excuses for why it hasn't happened yet. Trying to interpret what Jesus said, that his return was "imminent" and "at hand", as "thousands of years from now". (2 Peter 3)
>>
>>520437
Using that word for that meaning implies that those people are evil. Was Jesus calling his followers evil?
>>
>"This generation" refers to a span of 30-40 years

no it doesn't
>>
>>520476
Except he didn't say it's gonna happen "thousands of years from now" you lying cunt and the link I posted specifically addressed 2 Peter 3:8.
>>
>>520489
>Except he didn't say it's gonna happen "thousands of years from now" you lying cunt

I'll just quote it.

>Knowing this first, that there shall come in the last days scoffers, walking after their own lusts, and saying, Where is the promise of his coming? For since the fathers fell asleep, all things continue as they were from the beginning of the creation.... But, beloved, be not ignorant of this one thing, that one day is with the Lord as a THOUSAND years, and a thousand years as one day
>>
>>520704
>With God a day is like a thousand years

vs

>The end of times will happen thousands of years from now

You don't see the difference? Are you legit stupid?
>>
File: Titus_of_Rome.jpg (152KB, 872x1004px) Image search: [Google]
Titus_of_Rome.jpg
152KB, 872x1004px
>>520378
The Second Coming already happened. It ''foretold'' Titus Flavius Vespasianus' destruction of the Jewish Temple. Pic related, the God Christians worship unknowingly
>>
>>520725
Vessel of God, not God himself.
>>
>>520725
I don't think the Romans had the patience to plot any kind of conspiracy, much to Atwill's chagrin
>>
File: Titus.jpg (63KB, 424x615px) Image search: [Google]
Titus.jpg
63KB, 424x615px
>>520728
Same thing
>>520738
The subtitle of Atwill's book is misleading IMO. It's no conspiracy, more like an inside joke. And not every Roman is the same. I'd wager there was quite a few freedmen involved, and so were Berenice, Tiberius Alexander and Josephus; all Jews.
>>
>>520758
Oh FUCK, it's YOU.

Warning to all in this thread: this guy has been shilling the Flavian Conspiracy on /lit/ for YEARS. I know it's the same guy because he's done it so often I recognize his writing style and his style of replying to comments. Also his repeated reference to the whole thing as a 'joke' clearly marks him as the same guy.

He'll yammer your ear off about this totally ridiculous notion, which even atheists find embarrassing.
>>
>>520766
I didn't know roughians from /lit/ even existed
>>
>>520758
>same thing

Not really, no. That's a gross error. In the OT you there are Assyrian and Babylonian kings punishing Israelites for their sins and acting as vessels of God, that doesn'm mean they are Gods themselves, or even the good guys.
>>
File: Titus_Bust.jpg (71KB, 432x600px) Image search: [Google]
Titus_Bust.jpg
71KB, 432x600px
>>520766
I haven't started a thread about this in all these years. So shilling isn't the relevant word. ''Often'' isn't relevant either, as I posted about this maybe a dozen times in a few years, when I happened to see a relevant thread. It seems you're just upset about having your ass handed back to you a few years ago. I suggest you get over it. Have a good night
>>
File: Alexorig.jpg (42KB, 394x450px) Image search: [Google]
Alexorig.jpg
42KB, 394x450px
>>520796
>>520796
Did any of these vessels claim to be the Son of a God? Were any of these vessels sent by his Divine Father to do his Works? Did any of these vessels destroy the Temple and then replace it with his own body (through the Fiscus Judaicus, the Jewish Temple tax was hereafter paid directly to Caesar)?
εὐαγγέλιον was a technical term of the Imperial Cult, the Church' hierarchy takes its origin from the Roman republic and all the oldest archaeological proofs of Christianity comes from Rome. pic related, the oldest artistic depiction of Jesus Christ. It's an satiric one

Call him a vessel if you wish, Titus Flavius is the Son of God worshiped by Christians, may they like it or not.
>>
>>520820
Nebukadnezar claimed to be literally divine, so yes.
>>
File: 450px-AlexGraffito.svg.png (98KB, 450x599px) Image search: [Google]
450px-AlexGraffito.svg.png
98KB, 450x599px
>>520829
Divine as a Son of God? And every other parallels?
>>
>>520378
Why is Jesus stealing that guy's heroin? Can't he make his own?
>>
>Jesus lied guy vs Flavian conspiracy guy vs a Preterist

This thread is full kek
>>
>>520882
The last guy makes more sense 2bh
>>
>>520864
What I want to know is why the painting on the wall is also a map of the world
>>
File: 1443663246776.gif (618KB, 263x396px) Image search: [Google]
1443663246776.gif
618KB, 263x396px
>>520378
the norse said a long ass winter would come and the world would end it never did just like revelations will never happen are just cool stories
>>
>till they see the Son of man coming in his kingdom.
And the kingdom of Heaven is within you as Jesus said. It is a state of mind and spiritual being similar to nirvana or enlightenment.

Gospel of Thomas saying 37: His disciples said: On what day will you be revealed to us, and on what day shall we see you? Jesus said: When you unclothe yourselves and are not ashamed, and take your garments and lay them beneath your feet like the little children (and) trample on them, then [you will see] the Son of the Living One, and you will not be afraid.
>>
Christianity is the same kind of charismatic doomsday cult like dozens of other we've seen in our days except: They didn't all kill themselves with Jebus and the cult survived the death of charismatic leader despite the points OP mentioned.
>>
File: sweating frog.jpg (8KB, 246x232px) Image search: [Google]
sweating frog.jpg
8KB, 246x232px
>>520378
It was, err, metaphorical. I mean I know it seems super literal, but really totes a metaphor
>>
>>520708
>legit

I think we know which of you is stupid.
>>
>>520708

>It has to say the exact thing for me to infer the excuse he is trying to make!

Sorry, but the nature of the excuse is obvious even if it is not verbatim.
>>
IF god was real he couldve meant thousands of years when he said generation, look at the first prophets in the old testament they lived for up to 1000 years. kek but its all bullshit anyways.
>>
Matthew 24 is Christ foretelling the destruction of the temple not the end times.
>>
>>520931
Its just a water stain, you are imagining the rest.
>>
>>521083
It doesn't even imply the same thing.
>>
>>520378
Also, in 1 Thessalonians Paul clearly states that when Jesus comes again the dead will be resurrected and ascended into heaven together with those of them who are still alive.

1 Thessalonians 4:17

>After that, we who are still alive and are left will be caught up together with them in the clouds to meet the Lord in the air. And so we will be with the Lord forever.
>>
>>520957
It's is more than just a state of being, but this passage is really nice. Gospel of Thomas restored my faith significantly.
>>
>>520883
He makes the least sense
>>
>>520378

>Christ uses his superpowers to steal heroin
>>
>>520883
I guess
>>
File: Doom_novel_1.jpg (21KB, 202x330px) Image search: [Google]
Doom_novel_1.jpg
21KB, 202x330px
>>520440
>He did return. But nobody was worth saving, we are living on the apocalypse anon. We have been for nearly 2000 years.

I've sometimes wondered if this was true. Like nobody knew they were living during the 'migration period' or 'high middle ages' or 'antebellum america'. That woeld mean Islam is the Abomination of Desolation, and Kim Kardashian is the whore of something, if not Babylon.
>>
File: 1433669668944.png (212KB, 237x345px) Image search: [Google]
1433669668944.png
212KB, 237x345px
>>521119
This.
Apocalypse has a very clear etymological basis. Prefix 'apo' is the equivalent of 'un' in English, and Calypso was the nymph that hid Ulysses all these years in the Odyssey. It means literally unhide, unveil, to reveal what is hidden. This is why the Apocalypse of John is called the Book of Revelations. There is no end time involved in the Jesus story, it's a lie invented by the clergy to control the masses.
>>
>>521191
I'm not.
>>
As I understand it, Christianity spread so quickly because there was a pervasive feeling that the world was falling apart in the Roman Empire and Christianity brought the promise of a kingdom of heaven. All Christians at the time thought this kingdom would come very soon.
>>
>>522971
I see it too
>>
>>520931
>America = the world
>>
>>522971
>>524840
Next thing you guys are going to say is that there is a sneaky jew in the cigarette smoke cloud or something ridiculous.
>>
>>521838
>scoffers

Nigga, pls
>>
>>522918
ditto
>>
>>522954
Of course, Jesus is a mushroom. It's all so clear now
>>
>>522918
Yeah i think think this all the time. When applied to real life it's a surreal point of view.
>>
>>528132
Until you realize your life is basically heaven compared to how people lived 3000 years ago
>>
>>520766

Shut up you hysterical baby
>>
>>520978
>Today's society is so degenerate and relativist. This is why we need God's absolute moral law.
>What about this verse it says killing children for [trivial act] is justified?
>OH MY GOD YOU HAVE TO UNDERSTAND THE CONTEXT OF ANCIENT ISRAEL IT WAS OKAY BACK THEN BUT GOD CHANGED EVERYTHING
>>
http://taylormarshall.com/2011/05/did-christ-wrongly-predict-his-second.html
>>
>>529205
>hurr durr he was talking about a temple

If you actually read passages it is very clear he isn't. Unless seeing a bunch of crazy shit happen is another way of saying "the temple will be destroyed" AFTER you've already explained the temple will be destroyed.
Thread posts: 63
Thread images: 11

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.