[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Why did the dual monarchy fail /his/?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 26
Thread images: 5

File: dual%20monarchy.jpg (395KB, 1888x1133px) Image search: [Google]
dual%20monarchy.jpg
395KB, 1888x1133px
ITT Why did the Austrio-Hungarian Empire fail?

Will the Habsbergs ever return?

Looking at you Karl.
>>
>>51287
>will the habsbergs ever return
Anon, i
>>
>>51287

It was on the losing side of the war, I think.

Long time it was probably the growth of nationalism and the desire of democracy.
>>
>>51287
>Why did the Austrio-Hungarian Empire fail?
Multiculturalism doesn't work in modern countries, also only guy who had chance of holding it togather got serbed
>will Habsburgs ever return
I hope not, they are inbreed faggots
>>
I went to school with some of the current Habsburglings. Trust me you do not want them in charge of anything. All that wealth and luxury with no responsibility attached to it for so long has absolutely ruined them.
>>
File: Karl_von_Österreich.jpg (61KB, 202x351px) Image search: [Google]
Karl_von_Österreich.jpg
61KB, 202x351px
Monarchy has its appeals. Does nobody else legit feel this way?
>>
>>51354
Multiculturalism between European nationalities has the potential to work fine. See: USA, Britain, Switzerland, Belgjum. I think Franz could have turned things around.
>>
>>51399
A technocratic absolute monarchy is the only hope for humanity.
>>
>>51430
A-U was clusterfuck of everything. Magyars, germans, gypsies, romanians, serbs, italians, turds, croats, jews, czech, poles... Too much
>>
>>51399
I would say I have monarchist leanings, yes. There is still the question of what happens when a king or heir is utterly incompetent and unfit to rule, though. It would be too much of a roll of the dice every generation for me.
>>
bupmp
>>
>>51488
This, it was an ethnic-linguistic-religious clusterfuck

Not to mention having two separate systems

I can't see the Habsburgs returning to power unless there's a wave of historical romanticism/nostalgia
Even then, it would have to be a different system
How do y'all feel about federalism and the United States of Austria?

I'm afraid of the potential can of worms but...how do y'all think an Austro-Hungarian state would react to the current migrant/refugee crisis, considering much of the madness is going on in ex-AH
>>
>>52347
Could see them uniting under orban excluding Austria though.
>>
Nationalism in a multi-ethnic empire run by Germans and Magyars
>>
>>51287
Pretty much, they set themselves up poorly for WW1, and then seemed to have the remarkable ability to fuck up literally everything over the entire course of the war.

As your map shows, AH was a massive clusterfuck of cultures and languages, but power was divided among only two nationalities - the Austrian Germans and the Magyars. Not only were the other nationalities disenfranchised, but they were constantly the subject of oppression due to fears of nationalist uprisings. Especially given the Russian ideals of pan-slavism and a push for a new Polish state, the central government became fearful of these national groups.

However, when war broke out, they somehow managed to do everything they could to make the situation worse. Turns out, the slavic groups weren't all that keen to Russia, as "pan-slavism" meant "replace everything with Russian culture." However, AH didn't see it that way. They split ethnic groups and made military units a clusterfuck of strangers from across the country, not only undermining their military's effectiveness but also broadcasting to everyone that the government didn't trust their own people. Even with this distrust, many nationalities were allowed to raise their own units (leading to an organizational clusterfuck as AH found themselves to be raising soldiers on the Imperial, Dualist, and national level). However, instead of making the most of these surprisingly loyal units, they were treated even worse. They were often sent as far from their homeland as possible. Poles, Ruthenians, and Czechs were sent to Tyrol and Serbia, while Bosnians, Croats, and Tyrolians were taken from their homeland and sent to Galicia. Even when Italy entered the war and Tyrolian militias actively fought on the front, the government soon put an end to this and pulled them to other fronts because of fears of disloyalty.

>cont
>>
>>51287
In short, it was an empire in the age of nationalism. In 1910, several states broke off from the Ottoman Empire right next door, and this agitated the Slavs. Even if war hadn't broke out it was destined to balkanize.
>>
>>52955
Once the war really started, things broke down even more. Galicia got raped from the get-go by the Russians, causing two major issues. First of all, it undermined confidence in the central government, particularly in the predominantly Polish and Ruthenian regions that had just been devastated.

More important, however, was the fact that Galicia was the breadbasket of AH, and the region never really recovered its productivity. Food shortages quickly set in, and, because Hungary was more concerned with keeping all their food so the ethnic Magyars wouldn't have to suffer any shortages, things got so bad that the Austrian side of the empire had to import food from Germany. With shortages so bad that even Germany looks good in comparison, the Central government began several heavy-handed attempts to suppress possible unrest. On the front, the only communication soldiers had with home was a card with "I'm doing fine" written in several languages on it where they'd circle the correct one and sign it. Back at home, any national sentiment was heavily suppressed - even while national populations were encouraged to support their own military units.

Once the fortunes reversed on the Eastern Front, the Central Powers found themselves in control of Poland, and the question of an independent Polish state arose. Several options were considered, ranging from a fully independent Poland created from land taken from Russia to absorbing Poland into Austria Hungary and turning it into a third component of the Monarchy. Unfortunately, this caused a bunch of issues on its own. The Magyars didn't want anyone threatening their special place in the government, so they were against a Polish crown, and the other ethnic groups - particularly the Czechs and Ruthenians - resented the seemingly special treatment the Poles were getting.

>cont
>>
>>53481
When Franz Josef died in 1916, the empire lost one of the last things holding it together. Unrest continued to build, and massive protests in Vienna were getting common. Shortages had long since reached the point where even the ethnic Germans that controlled the Austrian half of the empire were on the edge of starvation, and the new emperor - Charles - was unable to really salvage the situation. He got caught trying to negotiate a separate peace with France, undermining his authority, and ultimately Austria Hungary was increasingly being relegated to a vassal state of Germany rather than a true ally.

Soon after America entered the war, Wilson issued his 14 Points. These points - which enshrined the ideals of national self-determination - resounded among the minority groups in AH. Charles hoped to seize upon this to salvage the empire by reconvening the Parliament and turn things into more of a confederacy of the national groups, but by then it was too late - the national groups only wanted independence.

Ultimately it would be the 14 Points that dealt the death blow to Austria Hungary. By October 1918, the national groups were seceding or on the verge of doing so, and even the central government seemed to have given into their fate - the foreign minister requested an armistice based around the 14 Points. The South Slavs pulled away to form Yugoslavia, the Czechs had seceded and were trying to join the Entente, and the Poles were talking about leaving as well.

By the time the union of Austria and Hungary was dissolved on October 31, all that was left of the empire was effectively what we know as Austria today.
>>
File: 28teeth.jpg (56KB, 512x711px) Image search: [Google]
28teeth.jpg
56KB, 512x711px
>>51287
Not failed. It was brutally dismantled. Largely was due to the breakdown of the whole internal social order, during the war. In part to the ominous rise of nationalism, this plague of modern times.
>>
>>54241
I always hate how much this gets neglected. The real impact of America in WW1 wasn't so much our men on the ground, but the fact that Wilson's 14 Points pretty much caused the dissolution of Austria Hungary.
>>
>>54535
>>54241
Point 13 was literally a bad bad idea.
>>
>>54820
The one about Poland? Why?
>>
File: 1440732010164.jpg (171KB, 648x800px) Image search: [Google]
1440732010164.jpg
171KB, 648x800px
>>54956

It took danzig and a bunch of Germans in Prussia and put it in Polish control.

Which would be a major plank in Hitler's platform. He wanted it back and Poland liked it for sea access.

Peace talks fell though. You know the rest.

Its why I hate Wilson. He really was short sighted.
>>
>>55067
Ehh given how the rest of the Entente was thinking I'd say Wilson was probably the least harmful of those involved in creating the interwar situation.

Sure Danzig was a point of contention, but I'd argue that had they not had Danzig to throw a shitfit over, Hitler would have come up with some other reason to invade Poland.
>>
>>55067
Is that fucking Jonah Hill in the cab
>>
File: Hitler_walkingstick_5.jpg (52KB, 481x593px) Image search: [Google]
Hitler_walkingstick_5.jpg
52KB, 481x593px
>>55302
>he doesn't know that Jonah Hill is a die-hard Nazi
Thread posts: 26
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.