[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What did the first members of our species look like?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 54
Thread images: 7

File: omo1c.jpg (40KB, 600x486px) Image search: [Google]
omo1c.jpg
40KB, 600x486px
Pic related. I've heard some people say they looked like Aborigines, but according to Mungo Man, they didn't always look like that.
>>
>>503313
My bet is like the San, so cute big booty hobbits.
>>
>>503327
Shouldn't they be taller, like the Khoikhoi?
>>
>>503313
Would have been darker skinned, dark haired and dark eyes, but who knows if they had a wide or thin nose, round or almond eyes, thick or thin lips, straight or curly hair, etc.

In all likelihood they wouldn't look like any ethnic group around today.
>>
>>503536
They most likely had curly hair due to the environment, and were most than likely a different race (and if Omo was the same subspecies as Homo sapiens idaltu, subspecies) than modern day Ethiopians.
>>
>>503571
There's 200,000 years of genetic drift and population migrations since the first humans and modern-day Ethiopians. They wouldn't have been able to really pass for any modern day ethnicity.
>>
>>503313
>Comparison of the mitochondrial DNA with that of ancient and modern Aborigines has indicated that Mungo Man is not related to Australian Aborigines. The results indicated that Mungo Man was an extinct subspecies that diverged before the most recent common ancestor of contemporary humans. These results, if correct, may support the multiregional origin of modern humans hypothesis.[22][23]

Its possible that Mungo Man wasnt even part of the same species as us but the Aboriginals will never let us test it again
>>
>>503619
>Looked like a modern human except taller
>not the same species

You mean subspecies right? It's funny how Mungo Man is prime evidence for both theories on how our species evolved.
>>
>>503636
I just wish the Aboriginals would allow for further testing, I dont even understand why they have any authority over the skeleton, they're impeding science so they can pretend like they have been their forever instead of looking t what the dna says
>>
>>503649
maybe because they have some serius issues ever since they made first contact?
>>
>>503649
It's the same reason why Kennewick Man was untapped for so long. People thought he was white or Polynesian, but it turns out he was genetically Native American.

Now his bones are at rest in some Indian burial ground.
>>
>>503649
It's weird how they went from 6'5, slender Mungo Man to short and stocky Aborigines. Would be cool if we could get more DNA.

If the DNA really is from a different subspecies, they it either means that Aborigines fucked another subspecies of human to death that landed around the same time they did after they left Africa or (the less likely scenario that's still relatively interesting), giving some needed proof to the multiregional theory
>>
>>503677

NEANDERTHALS
>>
>>503619
The foreign mtDNA is due to archaic humanoid admixture. Probably denisovan.

Europeans also have a bit of archaic humanoid admixture : they have neanderthal admixture (although they didn't retain any neanderthal haplogroups)

And although it's taboo to say it, proud nubian princes south of the Sahara also have archaic admixture (homo erectus admixture). In fact an african american was found to belong to a Y haplogroup older than homo sapiens

>inb4 source you filthy racist
http://forwhattheywereweare.faggotspot.fr/2013/03/cameroonian-y-dna-lineage-a00-is-older.html

replace faggot with blog in the link
>>
>>503663
Dude, that's the exact opposite of what happened. Right after it was discovered, the cops called in an archaeologist (a guy with a reputation in the field as an asshole, by the way) who started doing tests without asking for tribal permission, which was illegal. Tribes in the area got pissed and sued, which is understandable, and the case was eventually settled by a judge who declared that Kennewick man is the property of the Army Corps of Engineers. Now tucked away in the UW's archaeology museum, and has been taken out for study a few times.

Archaeologists in the northwest basically view the whole situation as an embarrassment caused entirely by Jim Chatters being an asshole and breaking the law. And no one thought he was white or Polynesian, that was just people in popular media being mistaken about terminology and the facial reconstructions.
>>
>>503313

DEFINE "OUR SPECIES".
>>
>>504313
modern humans
>>
>>504313
The hominid population (which can produce fertile offspring) which exists after the partly arbitrary cut off point of <200,000 years (based on archaeological and genetic evidence), that is descended from an unbroken line of ancestors right back to the common ancestor with chimpanzee.
>>
>>504262
Yes because a stocky denisovan produced a gracile 6'5 person
>>
Prehistory is not allowed in a history board.
>>
>>504349
and is the only hominid population alive today.
>>
>>504355
kindly fuck off m8
>>
>>504355
>archeology, anthropology
>>
>>504361
Rule violations and disrespectful insults, I will call a mod now.
>>
>>504358

>Hominid

HOMO.
>>
>>504370
see >>504366
>>
>>504355
history is history bitch
>>
>>504381
True, I didn't mean refer to Hominidae.
>>
>>504387
>pre history
>as in a time before history
>is history

That's like saying atheism is a religion.
>>
>>504405
>This board is only for History
>>
>>504405
his·to·ry
ˈhist(ə)rē/Submit
noun
the study of past events, particularly in human affairs.
"medieval European history"
synonyms: the past, former times, historical events, the olden days, the old days, bygone days, long ago, yesterday, antiquity; More
the whole series of past events connected with someone or something.
"the history of Aegean painting"
>>
>>504394

I didn't read the entire breadth of your post, as I have the attention span and reactive tenancies of a 4 year old.
>>
>>504410

Moving the goalpost like a true HOMO

>>504417

That's the broadest and shittiest definition I ever read. Academic history clearly refers to documented history in written word.
>>
>>504424

Sage and move along chief. Take catharsis in the fact that it is all contained here and nowhere else.
>>
File: Clovis point.jpg (113KB, 800x600px) Image search: [Google]
Clovis point.jpg
113KB, 800x600px
>>
>>504424
doesn't matter, history is the story of the past which as far as we've been able to tell goes back about 13.8 billion years. you can't just put some random limit just because it suits your argument
>>
File: Folsom point.jpg (7KB, 210x240px) Image search: [Google]
Folsom point.jpg
7KB, 210x240px
>>
File: Folsom-Point-and-ribs.jpg (40KB, 472x352px) Image search: [Google]
Folsom-Point-and-ribs.jpg
40KB, 472x352px
>>
>>
File: Sima de los Huesos.jpg (5KB, 162x188px) Image search: [Google]
Sima de los Huesos.jpg
5KB, 162x188px
>>
>>504447

It's the account of events that happened. Explicitely not prehistory, that's why it is called prehistory _before history_ . The only one who is pulling it out of his ass with shitty internet sources is you. The fucking word itself gives it away.
>>
>>504468
Or you know, it's called events from the Pleistocene, rather than Holocene or Anthropocene for example. don't be butthurt about an artificial dichotomy.
>>
>>504351
We have no idea if Denisova was short or tall or thin or stocky. All we have of them is some finger/toe bones and teeth, and genetic evidence of them in our own genome.

For what it's worth, the tiny fragments we have found seem to be larger than average humans.
>>
>>504468
>This board is dedicated to the discussion of history and the other humanities such as philosophy, religion, law, classical artwork, archeology, anthropology, ancient languages, etc. Please use /lit/ for discussions of literature. Threads should be about specific topics, and the creation of "general" threads is discouraged.
>archeology, anthropology,

Fuck off already and be autistic somewhere else.
>>
>>504468
>events that happened
right so over the span of 14 billions years absolutely nothing has ever happened? you have got the be the most retarded faggot i've ever found on this shitty shite
>>
>>504507
Of course things happened but we have no human accounts on what happened. that's why we are not using historical methods but geological or astronomical ones.
>>
>>504516
still history. history is an account of the past, doesn't matter if it's 1 minute ago or billions of years it's still the past and still history
>>
>>504516
>Inferring morphology from skeletal remains is geological or astronomical
>>
>>504533
Biological then. Can as well be geological methods determining the age though.
>>
>>504262
>And although it's taboo to say it, proud nubian princes south of the Sahara also have archaic admixture (homo erectus admixture). In fact an african american was found to belong to a Y haplogroup older than homo sapiens

Uh, you know that it's more likely for it to be Heidelbergensis DNA right?
>>
>>504358
>>504394
The proper term is Hominini for bipedal apes and humans.
>>
>>504313
Homo sapiens.
>>
>>503649
Same reason they got conquered, cuz they're fucking stupid.
>>
>>503313
>go on /pol/
>convince some fag to show a pic of him wearing the Nazi outfit his mom "bought for Halloween"
>post pics
>/thread
Thread posts: 54
Thread images: 7

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.