[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

PSA: Statistics about atheism and happiness are BS

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 33
Thread images: 9

File: tumblr_m7huy84ZCv1qb8mtjo1_1280.png (240KB, 705x752px) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_m7huy84ZCv1qb8mtjo1_1280.png
240KB, 705x752px
I've seen many people post something along the lines of "studies show that atheists are less happy than theists" and stuff like that.

Great. That very may well be true. But shouldn't we pause for a moment and think about WHY that might be true?

From my own experience, I've never been depressed directly because of my belief. I've never had some existential crisis over whether or not I'm right, or whether or not there's a god. I don't feel "purposeless" without religion. I have a great life, I feel fulfilled with my personal and professional relationships, and am generally pretty happy.

But I do get depressed sometimes. I'm depressed because if I ever wanted to run for President of the United States, I'd have to lie about my atheism to get the public to accept me. I'm depressed that certain people would think less of me or stop talking to me because of my beliefs. I'm depressed that I don't have a good relationship with my parents because of religious differences.

Basically, I'm not depressed because of atheism. I'm depressed because of the societal status of being an atheist.

Gay teenagers are more likely to commit suicide than straight teenagers. Is it because gay people are less happy? Yes. They're less happy because our hetero-centric society treats them like shit.
>>
File: LDSof.jpg (79KB, 960x658px) Image search: [Google]
LDSof.jpg
79KB, 960x658px
>>450449
In my opinion, it's a complete non sequitur. Even if it's true that atheists are less happy than theists, it has absolutely no bearing on the truth value of atheism (which is why I hold the position).
>>
Christians believe there is a purpose to life. They admire creation, they are joyous and happy.

Atheists believe we are nothing but animals. They believe there is no purpose.

So yeah, atheists are edgy suicidal teenagers.
>>
>>450471
We objectively are animals, learn to biology.

And we make our own purpose, which is much more meaningful than getting purpose from ancient fairy tales of genocidal mangods
>>
File: clEHQEp.jpg (123KB, 683x716px) Image search: [Google]
clEHQEp.jpg
123KB, 683x716px
>>450488
>>
>>450449
>ignore statistics because of my anecdote

Please apply yourself harder.
>>
>>450493
I think we should be laughing at you.

You believe we are animals that came from a rock.

Hilarious fairy tale you got there, m8
>>
Most survies about happines are self-reporting. So the theists say they are happier but they are lying to themself.

http://www.alternet.org/belief/when-god-not-enough-religious-states-have-highest-rates-anti-depressant-use

The one's buying the anti-depressants are the Christians.
>>
File: chalabi-feature-prisons.png (116KB, 1020x1042px) Image search: [Google]
chalabi-feature-prisons.png
116KB, 1020x1042px
At least we don't wind up in prison as much as moral Christians
>>
>>450500
>You believe we are animals that came from a rock
>>
>>450502
Blacks, Hispanics, and poor people are all more religious

No visible correlation between religious values and crime
>>
>>450502
People in prison have alot of time to think.

Thinking leads to the truth.

That is why inmates become Christians and reject their old way of life.
>>
>>450501
OP has a good point based off of other data though, I imagine a similar situation for Muslims by this graph
>>
>>450507
It is literally what evolutionists believe, retard.

You dont like the simplification because it shows how retarded your theory is.
>>
>>450515
Looks like they all convert to Islam
>>
>>450523
Okay, thanks for bumping
>>
>>450529
Cognitive dissonance.
>>
File: 1449529608412.jpg (86KB, 1000x750px) Image search: [Google]
1449529608412.jpg
86KB, 1000x750px
>>450463
Nothing is wrong. There is no evil or good. Genocide is just as bad and good as helping an old lady across the street.
>>
>>450785
Plants are alive.

Animals are alive and conscious.

Humans are alive, conscious and aware of God.
>>
>>450809
Thank you for proving my point
>>
I don't get it
How much of the theist posting is shitposting they don't actually believe?
>>
>>450809
lol you proved his point
>>
>>450796
Can an animal become a human
>>
>>450813
>>450909
I don't give a fuck he's an atheist, I'm laughing at him for sounding like he's gonna come out gay in fucking saudi arabia. Man up faggot no one gives a shit about your "beliefs"
>>
>>450463
>being attracted to the same sex is a mental illness
>believing witches are real, the entire universe is 6000 years old, priests magically turn bread into flesh and talking to an invisible spirit in your head in perfectly sane.

Okay, buddy. Christians vigorously opposed the idea of Christianity as a mental illness in the 19th and early 20th century, because it detracted from being able to blame homosexuals for sin. Now they've adopted it wholeheartedly. You just keep losing ground, Christcuck.

>>450471
Christians can be miserable like anyone else. Atheists can be optimists, some are even moral realists.You're just basing your arguments on appeals to stereotypes and nothing more.
>>
>>451047
>nobody gives a shit

Yet here you are.
>>
>>450449
Actually, it's just because the definition of happiness is materialist shit and its simply untrue.
>>
>>451533
>being attracted to the same sex is a
Self-imposed inability to procreate isn't a mental illness?
>>
>>451548
Yes, monks, priests, Bishops, and nuns are mentally ill
>>
>>451869
Yeah, that's not too uncommon
>>
>>451895
Education and sanity is destroying the priesthood
>>
>>452497
I can totally see the church having another schism in the near future
>>
File: 1385167349225.jpg (99KB, 900x1344px) Image search: [Google]
1385167349225.jpg
99KB, 900x1344px
>>450449
stupid fundies thinking we aren't happy. I'm euphoric because I know I don't need some phony god's blessing to keep me happy. I appreciate my irrelevance as nothing but a particle of dust in this universe as macarbe as that may seem. but the intellectually inferior fairy tale worshippers can't wrap their minds around that. ignorance is bliss I guess
Thread posts: 33
Thread images: 9

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.