[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Religion paper

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 1

File: paper writing pic.jpg (9KB, 270x186px) Image search: [Google]
paper writing pic.jpg
9KB, 270x186px
What do you think is most interesting thing in religions.
I need to write a paper on a specific religious topic, but I have trouble finding something really original which is also covered in academic writing.
I was first thinking about satanic groups or something, but maybe you can come up with something better.
Please do not come up with 'the role of women in *this religion*', thats not my thing.
>>
>>416119

I always thought that the most interesting thing about religions is how they often appropriate from older religions,and then perform incredible feats of pretzel logic to try to take what was obviously never meant to support the new position into saying that it does.

With often a side of bad translation.
>>
>>416119
I'm not the best person to ask, but I find the rise of monotheism interesting. Even without the abrahamic religions society was trending towards monotheistic ideals and the early monotheistic religions like mithraism, sol invictus, manichaeism etc. all developed at roughly the same time. Many of these religions have spiritual descendants today.
>>
>>416139
I could write a muchhh larger paper about that, but I need something more specific now. I can only use about 2500 words.

I know there is some religious group who praises an angel who went against god, but later came back to heaven. Now they are often compared with satanists, but i cant remember or find the name of that group....
>>
>>416166

Or you could do something about how John Milton's fanfiction has become the mainstream christian narrative despite the book of Job making it quite clear that Satan works for God.
>>
>>416189
im afraid I cant find any academic sources for that though....
Could be any pretty specific topic in Hinduism, Buddhism, Daoism, Islam, Judaism or Christianity (those are the main topic of the course Im following)
>>
>>416166
Could be Yezidis, the guys who IS tried to genocide.

In Islam, God created man from earth and ordered the angels to bow. Shaytan refused and was cast down from heaven. This was seen as Shaytan's pride causing him to sin

In Yezidism, god created Tawuse Melek from his divine light. 6 more angels were created later. When god created man from earth and ordered the angels to bow, Tawuse Melek refused, as he was made from god's light and man was made from earth, and to bow to man would violate monotheism. Tawuse Melek passed a test given by god and was given guardianship of the earth.

Because of the similarities in the stories, muslims accuse Yezidis of Devil worship. Yezidis deny that Tawuse Melek and Shaytan are the same being, as Tawuse Melek is not a force for evil.
>>
>>416319
Do you think this would be a good topic? or do you suggest something else.
anything relatively odd and specific (and covered academically) would suffice
>>
>>416211

Do one about how the entire debate between whether or not the word הָעַלְמָה, from Isahiah 7:14 means "virgin" or just a generic young girl is meaningless, since הָרָה does not mean "Will conceive in the future" but rather "Is pregnant right now", and therefore cannot be about Jesus.
>>
On December 21, the sun is at the lowest point in the sky. For 3 days, the sun rests in the constellation of Crux (The Southern Cross, as seen on the Australia and NZ flags) and on December 25 the sun rises, foreshadowing warmer days.
Sound familiar?
>>
>>416119

Do one about why it's always "The twelve tribes of Israel" when there are actually 13 tribes, but they don't count either Levi or one of the Joseph ones depending on context.
>>
Is YHWH God's name or is it just a response given to Moses. If so; what is the Abraham God's name?
>>
>>416349
It would be a good topic because they're currently very relevant. Most of ISIS' sex slaves are Yazidis and the whole religion was at risk of genocide last year. There was a scandal over the Kurdish Peshmerga's retreat from Yazidi land, they promised to protect them and basically ran the fuck away. The Yezidi's home of Shingal in Iraq was only recaptured last month and there have been reports of Yeidis ethnically cleansing Sunnis. Pretty interesting stuff.

Also interesting are Alawites, who are relevant because of the war as well.
>>
I really like these topics but I cant find proper (to nothing at all) sources on them..... fuck
>>
>>416604

You have all the primary source you need in the Bible.

Just take it and run. It's what all the biblical scholars do anyway.
>>
>>416646
only I have to write a paper for a world religions 100 level course, I think doing what biblical scholars do is a bit out of my league (and would take far too long)
>>
>>416119
Have anyone bothered to look for clues on what kind of stone the stone tablets the 10 commandment was carved into could possibly be?
>>
>>416695

I know that there's a Jewish midrash that says it was sapphire, but to be honest, I think that was just something some old dude made up one day.
Thread posts: 18
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.