[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Study finds awareness of death why people do not like Atheists

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 166
Thread images: 16

File: franco.jpg (58KB, 476x594px) Image search: [Google]
franco.jpg
58KB, 476x594px
Two studies were conducted to establish that existential concerns contribute to anti-atheist sentiments. Experiment 1 found that a subtle reminder of death increased disparagement, social distancing, and distrust of atheists. Experiment 2 found that asking people to think about atheism increased the accessibility of implicit death thoughts. These studies provide the first empirical link between existential concerns and anti-atheist prejudices. (Corey L. Cook, Interdisciplinary Arts & Sciences, University of Washington Tacoma)

Christians confirmed to be just children scared of death.
>>
Sample size? Methodology?
>>
>Christians confirmed to be just children scared of death.

Religious people are scared of a life without meaning. After the rush of hedonism carries off, the atheist is left with two choices. The first one is to struggle on, a choice made by the weak masses. The second one is only for the strong; suicide.

Only faith can provide meaning.
>>
>>414757
>Life needs meaning
Sounds like autism to me desu
>>
>>414783
We make our own meaning.

But it definitely doesn't require faith.

Stupid godfags
>>
>>414680
http://m.spp.sagepub.com/content/6/7/840.full.pdf
>>
>>414757
>struggling on
>for the weak

>killing yourself because abloo bloo
>strong
>>
>>414757
Or you can just accept that you have to make your own meaning.
Life exists by replicating itself but not intrinsically for anything.

Though I guess you could sort that under struggling if you define 'struggling' generously.
>>
have they correlated between neckhair length and atheism yet, genuine curiosity

>>414757
yeah wow committing suicune is such a brave act
>>
>>414757

>guys I read a depressed old russian, I know how this works

Nope.
>>
>>414841
Have they correlated size of cross worn as a necklace and degree of righteousness within the church?
>>
>>414853
maybe amount of crosses in home would work better, cross necklace would include too many sacrilegious normies
>>
>>414757
You need to read some Camus son
>>
File: tales of the prophets.jpg (93KB, 713x621px) Image search: [Google]
tales of the prophets.jpg
93KB, 713x621px
suicidal antinatalist nihilist masterrace reporting in
>>
>>414679
Bullshit. People don't like atheists because they're like spookposters. Nobody cares about their irrelevant and meaningless ramblings.
>>
>>414898
Wow deny evidence when it contradicts preconceptions how appropriate.
>>
File: 1398163624724.png (230KB, 455x443px) Image search: [Google]
1398163624724.png
230KB, 455x443px
>>414907
>2016
>referring to "new study" as evidence
>>
>>414883
>suicidal
Then you aren't the master race.
Also the only good reason for anti-natalism is environmentalism.
>>
>>414919
I suppose this is true, even if life is not worth living, and this is where people who live the examined life arrive at eventually, commiting suicide could have negative repercussions, more so than staying alive.
>>
Unrelated but there was a thread I had missed last week that was over different reads on Atheism.

I was looking for that list so I could pick up a gift for someone for the holidays. Anyone have anything from that thread?
>>
>>414757

>this is your brain on slave morality
>>
>>414785
There is no such thing as created meaning. Any attempts will be self negating. Any goal will be destroyed upon completion or significant progression, rendering everything before that point meaningless.
>>
>>415924
>it has to last forever or it doesn't matter at all
>>
>>415932
Putting the truth in greentext doesn't suddenly make it false. In every possible context, it is illogical to expend effort on producing no result.
>>
>>415947
>In every possible context, it is illogical to expend effort on producing no result.
Like believing in "God"?
>>
>>414679
transhumanism desu lads
>>
>>415947
What?

You can't enjoy a candy bar knowing that the joy you get from it will end?

You can't enjoy the time you spend with others knowing that you will be separated?

If you would reply yes, I recommend you seek help. From people. That aren't in an underground cult.

If believing in an afterlife makes this life of yours mean more to you, more power to you.

But don't act as if everyone else needs something transcendental to justify their own lives.
>>
>>415924
Autism speaks
>>
>>415947
We get it bro everything's impermenant, religion beat you to that one 5000 years ago
>>
>>414883
what is that image from?
>>
>>415755
Underrated.
>>
File: based Friedrich.jpg (51KB, 499x499px) Image search: [Google]
based Friedrich.jpg
51KB, 499x499px
>>414832
>>
>>416337
There is more to life than hedonism.

>>416375
>everything's impermenant
This is the mentality that leads people to nihilism. Quit thinking you can see infinitely into the future. You are not that smart.
>>
>>417046
>hedonism
Call it love, power, purpose, whatever. You need/want something and, hey, it's pretty good while it lasts.

>everything's impermenant
>This is the mentality that leads people to nihilism
No. Just because a guy don't aspire to eternity does not mean he doesn't construct meaning in his life.
>>
>>417105
They don't need to aspire to eternity, they just need to aspire as far as their abilities will let them.
>>
>>417046
>This is the mentality that leads people to nihilism

Wat. Things need not be eternal to be valuable
>>
>>417046
>everything's not impernanent
Fucking science illiterates and their bullshit.
>>
>>417187
Do you believe everything is of equal value?
>>
>>417337
Nope
>>
How is this even surprising to people?

Nobody likes being reminded that they are mortal.
>>
File: bloodshedknowsnocreed.png (2MB, 1305x713px) Image search: [Google]
bloodshedknowsnocreed.png
2MB, 1305x713px
Dislike of atheist comes down to a few major issues.

1-The many murderous and violent state atheism programs in living history, which naturally would also cause reminders of death etc. when reminded of atheism. If you ask people to name a big name historical atheist they are going to think of Stalin, Pol Pot, etc.
2-The assholes who make up the "new atheism" movement.
3-That atheism is correlated with lower health, higher mental illness, more antisocial behavior etc.
>>
>>417349
Then that means there is no self-made meaning because everyone will come to value one thing the most.
>>
>>417187
>Wat. Things need not be eternal to be valuable
>>417337
>Do you believe everything is of equal value?
>>417349
>Nope
>>417374
>Then that means there is no self-made meaning because everyone will come to value one thing the most
What the fuck. That doesn't logically fucking follow, you dime-store Plato.
>>
>>417434
Values evolve closer and closer to something, instead of just chaotically shifting around. What is so hard to understand about this?
>>
>>417046
>This is the mentality that leads people to nihilism.

is this bait
>>
>>414757
for fucks sake read some Camus
>>
>>417450

>he's a teleologist
>>
>>417463
Is "nothing matters because everything is the same in the end" not a common mentality?
>>
>>417450
>Values evolve closer and closer to something, instead of just chaotically shifting around.
And you are going to tell me that this something they approach is the One Truth, God?

Values aren't random, but no they don't need relation to anything transcendental and people's opinions don't really converge during their evolution as much as you imply; this is why philosophy is an open book.
>>
>>417368
>1-The many murderous and violent state atheism programs in living history, which naturally would also cause reminders of death etc. when reminded of atheism. If you ask people to name a big name historical atheist they are going to think of Stalin, Pol Pot, etc.
>2-The assholes who make up the "new atheism" movement.
>3-That atheism is correlated with lower health, higher mental illness, more antisocial behavior etc.
All bullshit. Your average person (especially 25 and younger) doesn't know most historical figures, let alone what they believe.
Atheists aren't liked because they directly challenge faith, and faith as a concept is inherently logically flawed. People don't like having their beliefs challenged, right or wrong. They especially don't like their beliefs challenged if they figuratively build their lives based on the tenets of their religion.

People get pissy if you call them out when they say they have a gluten allergy. Imagine calling someone out on their whole fucking life.
>>
>>414757
>Hedonism leads to empty lives
In my experience hedonists are cheeky bastards who have a laugh at everything even when they are old and about to die and theists are dramalords who live miserable lives full of guilt,regret and envy.
Why does life need a meaning,most of the shit you enjoy are meaningless,posting here is meaningless but its fun isnt it?
>>
File: 1438484379479.gif (1MB, 292x278px) Image search: [Google]
1438484379479.gif
1MB, 292x278px
>>417474
>and faith as a concept is inherently logically flawed
>>
>>417468
Thinking a chaotic system has an attractor does not make me a teleologist.
>>
>>417450
>Values evolve closer and closer to something

No, I choose my own values. They've been about the same for the last 10 years
>>
>>417455
>Atheism doesn't correlate with lower health, higher mental illness nor more anti-social behaviour.

yes it does.

>Most studies have shown that religious involvement and spirituality are associated with better health outcomes, including greater longevity, coping skills, and health-related quality of life (even during terminal illness) and less anxiety, depression, and suicide.
http://www.mayoclinicproceedings.org/article/S0025-6196%2811%2962799-7/abstract

>Overall, the results show that those who attend church once per week exhibit a 32% reduction in the risk of mortality as compared with those who never attend religious services. Moreover, the benefits of weekly attendance persist with controls for sociodemographic characteristics, cardiovascular health, activities of daily living, cognitive functioning, physical mobility and functioning, social support, health behaviors, mental health, and subjective health.
http://psychsocgerontology.oxfordjournals.org/content/60/2/S102.short

>religiosity is modestly inversely related to delinquency.
http://etd.ohiolink.edu/view.cgi/Harris%20Mildred.pdf?osu1298674896

>religious involvement is correlated with reduced levels of domestic violence;
http://www.baylor.edu/content/services/document.php/55373.pdf

etc I can give more links if you'd like. Atheists are famously a bit maladjusted, and with violent state atheist programs in living memory and assholes being the face of the ""movement"", its not a surprise that they are genuinely disliked. Its also not surprising that many people think of death when they think of atheism, considering atheists have higher rates of mortality even if we set aside Stalin and co.

>correlates with better health, better paid jobs, higher education and living longer.

Except atheists do none of these things. Woops. (I guess they make it slightly above the American average when it comes to income, but still below Hindus, any kind of Jew, Orthodox Christians, Episcopalians etc.)
>>
>>417483
btfo
>>
File: atheism1.jpg (415KB, 1331x394px) Image search: [Google]
atheism1.jpg
415KB, 1331x394px
>>414679
>>
File: chalabi-feature-prisons.png (116KB, 1020x1042px) Image search: [Google]
chalabi-feature-prisons.png
116KB, 1020x1042px
>>417483
And yet
>>
>>417474
>Atheists aren't liked because they directly challenge faith, and faith as a concept is inherently logically flawed.
Yawn, by this logic Americans would hate any group equally. A Hindu challenges the Christian faith far far more than an atheist ever would.

>Your average person (especially 25 and younger) doesn't know most historical figures, let alone what they believe.
Which is why younger people generally have less negative opinions of atheists. Because they are less likely to have lived through said state atheist programs (though they still exist to a lesser extent in North Korea etc).

>faith as a concept is inherently logically flawed.
How so? Do you even know what the Christian concept of faith is?

Atheists are especially disliked because:
1) Irreligiousity itself is correlated with depression, anxiety, higher mortality, impulsivity, substance abuse, aggression, deadbeat fatherhood, etc.
2) Murderous state atheism programs.
3) Asshole and ignorant atheists heading the "new atheism" movement.
4) The widespread atheist belief that the only reason atheists are disliked is because they are just too cool and blow people's ignorant minds just too hard. Cmon.
>>
>there is something wrong with being scared of death
>>
>>417515

And yet, the USA doesn't actually keep official records of prisoners religion and if you count people who said "no religion" as being atheists (since atheism is not actually a religion) they are well overrepresented in prison by far. But almost all atheist infographics leave that out.

Hell, even in places which do have official numbers, like Scotland, atheists are overrepresented.
>>
>>417473
Do you think those values are equal? If you think it's possible to create "better" values, then you are relating them to something transcendental.
>>
>>417539
No, if I considered that some these values are better than those other values then I'd be relating these values to those other values. That would be it.

You are deriving more meaning from the premises than they can imply.
>>
>>417527
The only reason why you fear death is because your parents made it a taboo subject when you were young,scarring you emotionally in an attempt to protect you.
>>
File: pol_goddamnit.webm (2MB, 720x405px) Image search: [Google]
pol_goddamnit.webm
2MB, 720x405px
>>414679
/pol/ thread, not even thinly veiled.

I mean, literally:
>>>/pol/58476190

This ain't the place for this shit.
>>
>>417556
If you constantly moved your values up a step, making something better than the last, could you ever go in a complete circle?
>>
>>417559>>417559
>The only reason why you fear death is because
it would keep me from achieving a lot of my goals, I imagine.
>>
>>417478
It is though. Not that I personally have a problem with religion. If it makes you happy then by all means.

>>417517
>Yawn, by this logic Americans would hate any group equally. A Hindu challenges the Christian faith far far more than an atheist ever would.
>Yawn

Good start. Because Hindus directly challenge American faith more than Atheists. You know all those popular Hindu books, tv shows, debates, court cases in the US that have challenged American religions. Americans are not exposed to Hinduism. Half of americans don't even know where NY is on a map, let alone India. Not that that means they don't know what Hinduism is, but certainly might mean that they aren't very aware of anything outside their sphere of influence.

Besides, polytheism is not more of a challenge to Christianity than atheism.

>Which is why younger people generally have less negative opinions of atheists. Because they are less likely to have lived through said state atheist programs (though they still exist to a lesser extent in North Korea etc).
There are very few Americans that lived through "state atheist programs". Younger people have a less negative view of atheism because now more than ever there is a focus on science and the scientific method. Most grandparents of our generation didn't go to university, great-grandparents even less.

>How so? Do you even know what the Christian concept of faith is?
Any belief that relies on something that is not falsifiable is inherently not logical. Sure, you can make logical arguments for parts of any religion, but not for them as a whole.
>>
>>417564
>Serious as fuck scene
>Camera angle inbetween the girl's legs because fuck it fan service in every frame
Fuck anime
>>
>>417578
Theoretically:

Yes, if the number of goals in my list is finite.

No, but there would be no upper cap, meaning my values wouldn't be approaching anything.

Not like that's how it works anyway. Most people don't really write down their priorities. These are not always overt, and are often shifting.
>>
>>417595
>It is though. Not that I personally have a problem with religion. If it makes you happy then by all means.

Science, logic, whatever tools we use to understand this universe, cannot satisfactorily comment on the metaphysical. Faith is not illogical but alogical. Faith is the belief that the Divine exists even if there is this absolute event horizon on what we can know about the nature of reality. Get your terms straight before arguing them.
>>
>>417595
>Any belief that relies on something that is not falsifiable is inherently not logical.

The assertion "you will die tommorow" is unfalsifiable at this juncture, rendering every action you do that does prepare for this contingency illogical by default. Lmao'ing @ logic c ucks
>>
File: f6dxJ.png (282KB, 1000x670px) Image search: [Google]
f6dxJ.png
282KB, 1000x670px
>>417595
>ecause Hindus directly challenge American faith more than Atheists. You know all those popular Hindu books, tv shows, debates, court cases in the US that have challenged American religions. Americans are not exposed to Hinduism. Half of americans don't even know where NY is on a map, let alone India. Not that that means they don't know what Hinduism is, but certainly might mean that they aren't very aware of anything outside their sphere of influence.

Protestantism/Catholicism both challenge each other much more than atheism ever has, which is why mass persecutions of one from the either have happened in various eras.

Atheism meanwhile has not undergone a single mass persecution in the history of Christianity. Atheists have certainly gone on many mass persecutions of religious folk, but it hasn't been flipped outside of extremely isolated and arguable examples. Hmmm

>There are very few Americans that lived through "state atheist programs"
Quite a few have, and those that didn't still heard the horror stories, much as we now hear the horror stories of ISIS's treatment of religious minorities.

>Younger people have a less negative view of atheism because now more than ever there is a focus on science and the scientific method.
No there isn't, nor does that have anything to do with atheism. Scientific method doesn't equate to positivism.

>Any belief that relies on something that is not falsifiable is inherently not logical.
That is not what faith is.
>>
>>417564
>/pol/ thread was posted AFTER /his/ thread

Nice try
>>
>>417600
The concept of a goal is not compatible with the laws of inertia. Something cannot have an endpoint, and if values evolve when a goal is completed, then it wasn't really a goal, it was a direction.
>>
>>417596
>not watching anime with your dick out

What, you watch it for the "dialogue"? Go read a book
>>
>>417368
Is that Jim Jones in the atheist column?

Seriously?
>>
>>414757
Or you just embrace the fact life has no meaning. It's pretty liberating.
>>
>>418563
doffs cap
>>
>>418563
>mommy the science man told me life has no meaning because it's not cool to think life has meaning in the year of our lord 2015 because we are all but stardust and evolution and stuff. ONE GOD FURTHER AMIRITE

fuck off back to reddit thanks breh
>>
>>418609
It's a fine cap, enjoy it.

>>418614
No science man told me reality has no meaning. I came to that conclusion on my own; there's no reason to believe reality has any meaning but what we ascribe to it, and I'd much prefer to just accept it as fundamentally meaningless.
>>
more like, atheists are scared of the incoming judgement for their actions when they die

>if i close my eyes and put my fingers in my ears, i won't get judged by God!
>>
>>418749
You sound like you're bothered by the OP's assertion. You really shouldn't let unsubstantiated statements get your dander up.
>>
>>418749
Lel, yeah I'm terrified of Valhalla. Enjoy your 72 virgins though, hopefully they aren't Tumblr virgins
>>
>>417668
>Atheism meanwhile has not undergone a single mass persecution in the history of Christianity

It was illegal to be an atheist in the Roman Empire after Christianity came to power
>>
>>418733
Created meaning is nonsense because it conforms to a sense of order, which means its transcendental.
>>
>>418785
I'd say created meaning is inherently pointless because any meaning you could create would be fundamentally arbitrary, and would erode in the face of an infinite, meaningless universe, ultimately leaving you worse off than you would have been if you had not bothered to create meaning in the first place.
>>
>>418864
But it doesn't erode, it evolves.
>>
>>418879
Unless you're proposing a Stirner style complete lack of fixed meaning (leaving meaning a constantly change, amorphous concept, which I suppose isn't a bad way to approach it, actually), I'd say the fact you still need some sort of stable base from which to build you conception of meaning leaves it vulnerable to continual erosion.
>>
>>418896
Meaning is direction. So lack of meaning is equal to chaos, and goodness of meaning is equal to inertia.
>>
>>414679
Imagine if in the fable "The Emperor's New Clothes" it was not just the emperor, but the vast majority of people wearing the "magic" clothes. How popular would the boy who points out they are all naked be then? Not very, I suspect.
>>
>>419261
Makes sense
>>
>>418547
Troll is success
>>
>atheists thinking being afraid of death is childish
>fear of death is considered inherent to all humans
>not even all humans, all living things
>>
File: Death-does-not-concern-us.jpg (70KB, 551x551px) Image search: [Google]
Death-does-not-concern-us.jpg
70KB, 551x551px
>>421411
Fear of pain from dying, maybe. Just being nothing, as I was 1000 years ago, does not concern me
>>
>>421417
If you aren't afraid of death, then why do you take steps to avoid it?
>>
>>421439
Because he'd rather not to do it. I'd rather not jam my hand into the butter dish, but I do not fear jamming my hand into the butter dish.
>>
>>414757
But each religions claims monopoly on the truth, and there is no reason the truth of the universe should depend on whether or not people feel warm and fuzzy about it. It's just believing your life has meaning because it's what you want to believe. And believing something just because you want it to be true isn't really all that meaningful.
>>
>>417535
>the data is wrong because it disagrees with my world view
>>
>>414757
There's no struggle because a lack of meaning is a non-problem. There's no need or desire for it. It's an artificial problem created by dumb and scared slaves who need to be used like a tool.
>>
>>422310
Neither does believing there is no meaning make it true because it's the in thing right now. I know thinking you're not afraid to look the meaningless chaos of reality or whatever in the eye makes you look cool because nihilism is just so chic but please refrain from talking out of your ass about other people's beliefs like you fucking know anything about it
>>
>>414679

I've known this for awhile. Even some of my most intellectual friends who consider themselves "spiritual" or some weird blend of Christianity and Buddhism spew the same bullshit reasoning why they think a world devoid of religion would be worse than one with it. Like, I don't understand why its so hard to accept morality comes from yourself. You don't need a moral guide or compass to tell you how to live. I don't have an issue with having your own personal beliefs about the universe, but organized religion has become essentially meaningless in today's society. Most people who claim to be religious are basically atheist but call themselves religious just because they say they believe in a higher power. Like, its just too scary still for them to accept there isn't. People are slowly realizing it but it'll take some time for everyone to fully accept it and stop indoctrinating their children.
>>
>>421411
Everyone fears death but some people have worse ways of coping with it than others and they should keep those coping methods to themselves.
>>
>>423243
How could you not on this board. Every other thread is discussing some religion. I find it hard to believe in any one religion because of how many there are now, and how many there have been in the past. It seems like an obvious human construct. It's incredibly difficult to buy into any religion for some. Some people don't need to "know" what they do matters and don't need the idea of an after life for comfort.

It's not a big deal. To people who don't crave a guidebook to life and death this whole issue is not a big deal.
>>
>>415924
Then maybe meaning is fluid and constantly in flux.
>>
>>417685
Elaborate. Why does inertia prevent the concept of a goal from actualizing?
>>
>>418770
It was illegal to be an atheist in Rome before Christianity came to power.
>>
File: 1438146796376.png (1017KB, 2408x9816px) Image search: [Google]
1438146796376.png
1017KB, 2408x9816px
>>414757
>>Only faith can provide meaning.

you do not need faith once you enter the stream.

faith is needed when you have one foot in one doctrine and the other foot in another doctrine. Hedonism is likely one of these doctrines, since most people are believe in self and identify with their aversion of pain and avidity of pleasures, and with pains and pleasures themselves.

faith occurs by lack of praxis of the new doctrine you are looking at. faith occurs when you let your mind run since you learn the new doctrine through books or discourses and think that it is necessary and sufficient. faith happens because you never reflected on anything and you are scared to leave hedonism, even though you want to leave it.
faith happens when you are nihilist.

There are only two faiths, once you refuse empiricism that is to say, once you dwell in faith:
-the faith in the human rules [laws and sciences] [through immanence]
-the faith in the deities [through transcendence]

the point is to depart from the faith, which strong men do and manage, but too many believe that they are strong enough to live faithless and end up depressed leading the way to suicide.
>>
>>415924
Your religious "meaning" has been created by humans as well, you're just in denial about that fact.
>>
>>423728
Because all the energy towards reaching that goal still exists after its reached. What happens from that point is it either mutates or becomes decoherent.
>>
>>414679
>just children scared of death.
Let's not be mistaken. Adults who stick to absurd notions like the supernatural aren't children scared of death anymore, they're adults actively trying to control the meaning and method of your death.
>>
>>421417
The only reason that we don't care about our pre-birth is that time doesn't go in that direction.

I would be pretty satisfied to learn that I was (a) already 1000 years old and had done many great deeds (b) had merely suffered a head injury that made me forget these things.

The mere existence of a past I DONT REMEMBER would be good. The actual experiencing of it would be better. It seems very rational to fear something that removes a good, life in the future. Therefore, it's rational to fear death.
>>
>>423901
It would be nice to have had a long, prosperous life. Indeed.

But I feel I don't even deserve the one I've got already. It was merely a win of the lottery that I among the near infinite number of possible humans got to have any life in the first place. It is an honor that I get to live and die, and though there could be better lives, I do not fear not having them.
>>
>>414757
Given these two not too hard to obtain factors:
>absence of pain, fear, struggle
>existence of entertainment
I find that I will never wish to die. These two are enough to last me a lifetime, and then some. In fact even as an atheist, I am afraid to die, and wish I could live more and more, so I can watch more and more movies, read more and more books, listen to more and more music, etc.
>>
>>414679
so muh feelings then.
No wonder christfags are so cranky about it
>>
>>414916
Here it is http://m.spp.sagepub.com/content/6/7/840.full.pdf
Disprove it.
>>
>>414916

Yes. Instead of studies conducted in 2016 we should just take a book with a talking donkey in it written thousands of years ago as evidence.
>>
>>423739
Is illegal to be an atheist in Saudi Arabia right now
>>
>>414757
>Only faith can provide meaning.
>tips mitre
>>
>>414757
This board is a fucking goldmine, goddamn.
>>
>>417483
>being religious makes you a devoted churchgoer

Wew lad. Talk about false equivocation. Why did you just compare that group to atheists? Why not humanists involved in similar secular organizations and charity efforts?
>>
File: 1418699325003.jpg (20KB, 657x678px) Image search: [Google]
1418699325003.jpg
20KB, 657x678px
>>417515
> all those native Americans behind bars
Fucks sake that made me sad
>>
>>415924
>There is no such thing as created meaning.
For the amount of shit you get I just wanna say I agree. I don't particularly feel the need for meaning though.
>>
>>424669

I just had a mental image of Shrek wearing biblical costume, walking along with a stick, accompanied by Eddie Murphy the talking donkey kek
>>
>>414757
Now this is some new kind of fedora faggotry.

4chan christians are the literal equivalent of reddit atheists. Militant, preachy and edgy.
>>
>>426217
I've been saying that on /pol/ for months, no one cares though because it is a Christian echo chamber (I was in a "post your crosses" thread... It was literally just teenagers posting pictures of themselves wearing jewelery and comments telling them how brave they were)
>>
>>425545
Fuck off Sitting Bull.
>>
>>414679
whats the news here?
>>
>>425823

"Behold, I have declared victory ogre death" - Shrek
>>
>>425545
I'm guessing it has more to do with living conditions than anything else
>>
>>414785
Yes it does require faith in the man made meaning, but not necessarily religious faith.

Tolstoy was right.
>>
https://www.brainpickings.org/2014/06/03/tolstoy-confession/

Worth reading.
>>
>>428641
It also has nothing to do with the topic on hand. Its just an old man having a mental breakdown because his best work is behind him, and he doesnt think he can ever achieve greatness again.
>>
>>425823
Shrek is love
>>
>>429373
Shrek is life
>>
>>423739
It was illegal to PRACTICE atheism, i.e. not performing the required sacrifices. Which was the whole reason Christianity got banned in the first place.
Incidently, the Jews had dispensation from sacrifices to the spirit of the Emperor/Empire, as their holy books were said to almost predate Rome itself.

-A piece of advice to anyone getting annoyed at the constant claims of genocides performed by Atheists: Ignore and hide. These people have their faith, misguided though it may be, so there's no point in trying to persuade them with logic and facts.
>>
>>417478
irrational faith that is. believing in a broken concept is bonkers
>>
>>414757
This guy is right though...
>>
>>417478
It is though, faith is not logical by definition.
>>
>>432176
But my fedora image proves you wrong
>>
>>414679
This actually makes a lot of sense
>>
File: slide30.jpg (97KB, 720x540px) Image search: [Google]
slide30.jpg
97KB, 720x540px
>>
>>414679
Not really a christian, but yeah man, isn't it obvious? I just don't want to be gone someday, the thought makes me fucking cry
>>
>>436424
You just lack self awareness. That feeling is nothing but a biological imperative. There is no higher significance to it.
>>
>>436456
>You just lack self awareness
How so?
>>
>>436593
By not understanding that it is a biological imperative. Feeling that way arises from doing too little with your life, because desiring more time means you don't think you have enough time to do something.
>>
>>436618
>because desiring more time means you don't think you have enough time to do something.
What if I want to do EVERYTHING possible, then that feeling can never von away
>>
>>436659
The last human who will ever live will probably be a direct descendant of Genghis Khan. If you fuck enough bitches or fuck the right bitches, it could also be a direct descendant of you.
>>
>>414679
I don't like atheists because many seem aggressive, whiny, emasculated. I like strong, traditional European men; atheists just seem like little emotional cripples with a hint of a snaggle toothed Bolshevik about them.
>>
>>436946
>blessed are the meek
-Jesus

Definition of meek: submissive
>>
>>438863
>submissive

Christianity confirmed for BDSM. That's why he laid there still on the cross, he fucking liked that shit, getting beaten to a bloody pulp by virile Romans.
>>
>>417474
>People get pissy if you call them out when they say they have a gluten allergy

I'd get pissy too if I had an allergy and some sperg I barely know was telling me I was wrong.
>>
File: 1450704605180.png (65KB, 300x240px) Image search: [Google]
1450704605180.png
65KB, 300x240px
>>
File: 96106-004-41CCE366.jpg (46KB, 550x426px) Image search: [Google]
96106-004-41CCE366.jpg
46KB, 550x426px
>>414757
>The second one is only for the strong; suicide.
Or to GTA the shit out of everything once you realise how meaningless everything is.
>>
>>442744
CARLOS
>>
Ernest Becker could have told you that decades ago.
>>
>>417368
1. Stalin, Pol-Pot etc. are remembered as communists, i like how you are always trying to frame Gulags etc. as an explicit anti-religious programms while in reality even stalin allied with the orthodox Church in WW2. Religious people were mostly persecuted for the inherent anti-communism of organized churches or to get control of church property. Religious authorities were always linked to the ancien regime, that is the reason they always suffered in socialist/communist revolutions.
2. Most people don't even know what new atheism is.
3. Keep beeing in denial. Among developed states the ones with the most atheism are generally the best concerning violent crimes, rape etc. Just look at Burger Land, most religious of the developed countries and the absolute worst concerning crime etc.
>>
>>442763
Or shooting some Algerian faggot because he was being annoying and flashing the sun into your eyes with a knife.
>>
>>417368
Pretty much this.

I think the biggest factor is that new atheists are almost all arrogant assholes.
>>
>>443488
Atheists are extremely arrogant for two reasons:

1. They preach absolute truth from a book.

2. They believe the whole universe was made for them.

3. They threaten Christians with eternal punishment when Christians raise valid concerns.

4. They get megaphones and go preach on street corners and public areas trying to convert people. They also spam mail, email, and pamphlets this way as well.

God I fucking hate atheists
>>
>>443730
I see what you're saying. It's a strange paradox.
Believers have arrogant beliefs, but act humble.
Atheists have humble beliefs, but they're still really arrogant.
>>
>>443747
>Believers have arrogant beliefs, but act humble.

No, they don't. Read points 1, 3, and 4
>>
>>444446
The vast majority of them act humble.
I'm sure there's a few atheists who are humble too.
>>
>>444474
>anecdotal evidence

No. The fact is that Christians street preachers are commonplace everywhere and atheists are not
>>
>>415714
Here http://pastebin.com/8d8JZHDa
>>
>>415947

some things have meaning because they're temporary desu senpai
Thread posts: 166
Thread images: 16

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.