[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

History Podcasts

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 56
Thread images: 6

File: HH-current-239x239.jpg (21KB, 239x239px) Image search: [Google]
HH-current-239x239.jpg
21KB, 239x239px
Been listening to the Hardcore History series for a while now, but I'm running low and have a long road trip in front of me. Anyone have good history podcast recommendations?
>>
>>403495
Go to bed Dan.
Stop advertising yourself.
>>
>>403502

Why would I advertise by asking for other shows to listen to? ;_; Just kidding, please give me money.
>>
>>403495
If you're looking to learn about a range of topics with some interesting entry-level discussion between older people, the In Our Time podcast has an extensive playlist of podcast about history, philosophy and other subjects. They're only 45mins each and rarely go into too much detail, but they're nice to get you started on a particular topic.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p01dh5yg?page=2
>>
>>403504
The podcast history of our world is kind of nice. It can be short and stale sometimes, but to be fair his goal is pretty hard so its forgivable.

http://www.podcasthistoryofourworld.com/
>>
stop advertising HH on /his/. It's almost every time I come here, fuck off with this shit

Can't a Mod monitor this sort of stuff, specially since the board just started? Ban this guy already
>>
Revolutions is great. Covers a range of revolutions/civil war. So far he has done English, French and American war of independence. He just started on the Hatian revolution on the 7th December and it is released weekly.
>>
>>403826

Who makes it?
>>
>>403495
History of Rome
History of Byzantium
The Podcast History Of Our World
12 Byzantine Rulers - The History of the Byzantine Empire
Belisarius - A History

> Hardcore History
It is presented very well, I'll admit I disagree with a lot of what he says.

His WWI History just happened to not mention a single Jew, plus he tows the line along with Jewish propaganda. He is biased, there is nothing Hardcore about his narrative.
>>
>>403879
>Jewish propaganda

:^)
>>
File: SANY0366.jpg (235KB, 1600x979px) Image search: [Google]
SANY0366.jpg
235KB, 1600x979px
>>403891
>>
File: download.jpg (110KB, 600x600px) Image search: [Google]
download.jpg
110KB, 600x600px
I really enjoy Daniele Bolelli's "History on Fire" His Italian accent makes me mmmmmhhhhh
>>
>>403879
>History of Rome
okay
>History of Byzantium
good
>The Podcast History Of Our World
meh
>12 Byzantine Rulers - The History of the Byzantine Empire
bad, even for a short series. like this one too much bias leaks in. Don't like the guy.
>Belisarius - A History
okay
>>
>>405795

Is he holding a katana?
>>
File: UFM7NRM.jpg (2MB, 1840x1144px) Image search: [Google]
UFM7NRM.jpg
2MB, 1840x1144px
>>403864
Mike Duncan. Same dude who did the History of Rome
>>
>>405808
he's a weeaboo gladiator intellectual
>>
>>403495
Chris Stewart's the history of china is pretty damn good, though the names are a pain in the ass.
>>
>>405857

The mark of a true intellectual.
>>
>>405886
How does it compare to Laszlos China History?
>>
This hardcore history meme has to die, dan carlin's shit is trash.

Its superficial as fuck.

Muh horse archers, muh hitler, muh mongols
>>
File: shelbyfoote.jpg (155KB, 256x400px) Image search: [Google]
shelbyfoote.jpg
155KB, 256x400px
History of Rome & Revolutions by Mike Duncan are both really good. He does a great job of giving as much depth as he can to a topic considering his shows are around 30 mins on average. His humor is corny and eye-rolling at times, but its the kind of nerdy endearing humor you might get from a lovable professor. He strikes me as the kind of person I would love to have as a professor in a lecture class.

History of the Crusades by Sharyn Eastaugh is my new favorite show that I just got into. She definitely takes the time to give as wide yet detailed a look on a topic as massive as the Crusades. Plus:
>dat qt middle age aussie accent
>>
>>403495
History of Rome and History of Byzantium are fantastic, I'll second the recommendations for them. Haven't listened to much else besides them that's any good anyways.
>>
>>406103
Who does history of byzantium?
>>
History of Rome was quite good, haven't listened to his Revolutions pod though

Giving History of Britain a go but the guy annoys me a bit too much, I may have to drop it
>>
>>403495
>start wwi series
>sandwich meme
>lolnope.jpg
>>
>>406191
Kenneth Harl.
>>
Why not watch some awesome yale lectures?
The yale lectures on rome and the early middle ages are freaking brilliant.
Its like watching a great movie.
>>
>>406770
http://oyc.yale.edu/history/hist-210
>>
>>406770

Looking for something to listen to while driving m80. Though I'll check that out regardless.
>>
>>406805
Audible has a bunch of Lectures for listening, they cost money though.
>>
>>406805
you can simply download the youtube videos as sound files.
>>
File: sweating-man.jpg (17KB, 230x300px) Image search: [Google]
sweating-man.jpg
17KB, 230x300px
>>406376
Not OP, but the whole sandwich thing never happened?
>>
>>405795
That one surprised me. It's pretty good.
>>
>>405886
Is he any better than the Laszlo Montgomery China History Podcast? Been wanting to find a chinese history podcast to get into the subject but Laszlo's isn't doing it for me.
>>
>>406488
Not Robin Pierson?
>>
>>403495
>le eternal dan carlin podcast thread
anyway, In Our Time has already been mentioned, so I'll suggest The Mark Steel Lectures, they are as pop as pop history gets, more comedy than anything but very funny.
#triggerwarning, he's a pinko, so if you are the particular brand of autist that only listens to media from their own political camp be warned, it doesn't stop any of my conservative friends from enjoying them though.
>>
>>405795
>Daniele Bolelli's "History on Fire

This is awful. It had the potential to be great but its just a poor Dan Carlin ripoff.

Such a shame
>>
>>406198

Jamie grows on you after a bit, keep listening and you'll start enjoying it more.

Though it is pretty clear that he had no idea how long the cast would go on for. He's probably not even going to get to the actual formation of Great Britain for another 3-4 years at the pace he's going.
>>
Not technically podcasts, but documentary series easily found on youtube:

>End of Empire
Made in the 80s, it goes through the end of the British Empire, colony by colony. Each episode is over an hour long.

>The Last Governor
BBC documentary following Chris Patten's time as the last governor of Hong Kong, filmed through his time as the governor, released after the Handover in 1997

>Hong Kong Beat
Follows the Royal Hong Kong Police in the 1970s. Both daily duties, as well as things like combating organised crime and dealing with Red Chinese refugees.

>Anything with Sir Mortimer Wheeler
Eccentric British archeologist, pioneered educational television programming. Hellenic Voyage is the best imho. He travels with the British Hellenic Society from Venice to Constantinople, looking at ruins, listening to lectures from each other and getting plastered.
>>
>>409844
>End of Empire
sounds great, will check out
>>
>>409871
sound quality is a bit shit though, be warned
>>
>>403751
Why do you think it's one guy you idiot, I don't think that you realise how popular it is. It's in the top 20 of all podcasts on iTunes so it's no wonder that there's gonna be a lot of people who are fans
>>
>>403879
I don't see how he "tows the line." In his ww1 one he mentions that Jewish involvement with Bolshevism and the communist revolts in Germany played a role in the nazis beliefs later on.
>>
>start ww1 podcast
>hear gavrilo princip sandwich bullshit memery
>turn it off
i can only wish i could get away with stupidity like that in my job
>>
>>411432

I haven't listened to any of that yet, what's this shit about a sandwich and why is everyone angry about it?
>>
Ill bite. Why is HH so hated on /his/?
Carlin might favor drama over realism at times, but is that any different from watching a movie about a historical subject? The guy never pretends to be an authority on a subject.
If anything he makes people interested enough to go find out more about history.
>>
>>411601
I think the thing is that he makes it sound like the fate of the world rested on a sandwich, while WW1 was mostly a war waiting to happen, whether gavrilo shot franz ferdinand or not.
>>
>>411601
It's from a book (as in a novel) or a tv show or something. Like, not history at all. About Princip hopping off for a sandwich when suddenly he sees FF just outside the cafe he's eating his sandwich in! Oh ho! What luck!

The serendipitous (or unlucky) meeting part is true enough, that he was chilling and eating a sammich and FF happened to roll around him mid-bite is not.

>>411608
>The guy never pretends to be an authority on a subject.
To me that is a part of the problem. "Remember, I'm not a historian, just a fan of history. But here's how things happened. Also a bit of current politics. Again, I'm not a historian. But listen to me as I tell you how things happened. They happened like this and this and this. End of story."

Certainly the fault ultimately lies with the gullible or whatever you want to call them listeners. Because it is they who interpret the thing as something it is not...

>but is that any different from watching a movie about a historical subject

... however, when that something is perceived by many as something, even if its author claims it's not that, isn't it perhaps suggestive of that thing being exactly that other something?

Shit, that came out way too pretentious and gay. What I mean is, if you got tons of folks on the internet clinging to you as a superb historian authority to the max ageen and ageen, no matter of magical "not a historian uh nuh" is going to save you.

Which gets more annoying when you realize that some of HH is not as great (in terms of research) as its popularity would indicate.
>>
>>411643
>The serendipitous (or unlucky) meeting part is true enough, that he was chilling and eating a sammich and FF happened to roll around him mid-bite is not.
Nope. Ferdinand was still following his publicized route when Princip shot him. Luck had nothing to do with it.
>>
>>403879
>he tows the line
Motherfucker you toe a line
>>
>>411608
That there's a new thread every 8-24 hours can't help. Often multiples at once.
As well as
>>411643
>>
>>411608
>The guy never pretends to be an authority on a subject.

Suck a 100 dicks, people will consider you gay. Have 100 shows about history people will consider you a historian.

It doesnt matter much how you say you arent.
>>
>>409416

How can a podcost on a given topic be a "rip off"?? They all have the same concept
>>
>>409416
Tyson's Cosmos had potential, but it's just a poor rip off of Sagan's
>>
>>403495
"New Books in History"
>>
>>412795

Style. Every podcast has its own style, ranging from dry expert reading facts, to almost hyper dramatised.

History on fire is like a poor mans HH. Full of ALMOST LIKE GAME OF THRONES. COULD YOU IMAGINE...?!! and lots of borderline/bullshit information.

Which is a shame because the host is an actual historian. He could have made an entertaining history show, that was historically accurate. Instead he makes a story show with some history.
Thread posts: 56
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.