[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Prussian Kingdom Thread

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 30
Thread images: 4

Talk about the Konigreich. Keep discussion before the end of WWI. Post links to good resources. How different might things have been if Wilhelm had died before his abdication in 1918?
>>
they were shit and their nationalism was laughable. literally comparable to MURICA fags today

totally deserved the international newspapers making fun of them with satire articles
>>
>>38780
http://www.deutsche-kaiserreich.de/

This site contains some pretty cool information and original imagery on Prussian provinces and towns (as well as all other member states of the German empire).
>>
>>38881
How was their nationalism laughable? From all I've seen, standing against as many countries as they did in WWI and holding their own for so long is fairly respectable.
>>
>>38994
because its just stupid. they had no chance, herosim is retarded. Look throughout history heroism is cancer on humanity
>>
How did they go from being the most pathetic country of Europe in early 19th century (conquered in 19 days by the French in 1806) to the most fearsome european power in the late 19th century?
>>
>>38994

Mostly three? While allied with another other two?
>>
>>39106
You got the dates wrong.

They've become respectable.when they acquired rich Polish lands during the partitions. Later the Brits saw Prussia as their ally and diversion, so they funded Prussian campgain even more.
>>
File: 1436917534937.gif (2MB, 448x252px) Image search: [Google]
1436917534937.gif
2MB, 448x252px
>>39186
>The Ottomans and the Austrohungarians
>Valuable allies in any way whatsoever
>>
>>39233
Like I said. Prussia was nothing more than British land diversion. They grew in glory when they walked over France in Franco-Prussian war.
>>
>>39301

>I am a migthy Empire! I defeated Austria!
>Its not fair, my Ally is Austria!
Prussian are always the same
>Treacherous Italy sidding with my enemies
>Incomopetent Italy, its like having no allies!
I see a trend here...
>>
>>38780
An army with land. Contributed absolutely nothing to Europe besides war ever. Some of the most hamfisted and retarded diplomacy in history.

Their industrialization and resulting output definitely commands respect, though.
>>
>>39589
>Contributed absolutely nothing to Europe besides war ever
You are joking, right? Prussia, especially after Frederick the Great, contributed significantly to the arts and sciences. The only people that would claim otherwise are French and British ultranationalists.
>>
>>39819
>Prussia, especially after Frederick the Great, contributed significantly to the arts and sciences
Eleborate.

> The only people that would claim otherwise are French and British ultranationalists.
>British
How so? Prussia was their little dog.
>>
>>39852
Come on senpai you need to at least know Kant
>>
>>39852
For starters, the Academy of Arts in Berlin was founded by Frederick I and spread it's ideas throughout the German states. Second, Prussia
had multiple philosophers and scientists under their wing, not limited to Kant and Bunsen.

>How so? Prussia was their little dog
Because it diminishes their own achievements across the same time period.
>>
>>38780
Prussia is the most overrated pre-1918 state.

Prove me wrong.
>>
>>40091
Sounds reasonable, thanks.
>>
File: 1444698428249.jpg (83KB, 946x472px) Image search: [Google]
1444698428249.jpg
83KB, 946x472px
>>39030
get some romanticism man
>>
>>38780
Prussia was an illegitimate Reich. A large amount of the original Reich was never under its banner.
>>
File: German Empire.jpg (16KB, 574x316px) Image search: [Google]
German Empire.jpg
16KB, 574x316px
Das Soll es Sein!
>>
>>38881
It's okay Pierre

We know you're still suffering from the boot in your ass in 1870
>>
>>40426
How did they maintain control all the way down in Southern Africa, and for what purpose?
>>
>>42070
Wilhelm the second wanted colonies so Germany could irrefutably claim to be a world power, the colonies were not very profitable as a good chunk of the more profitable parts of Africa had already been colonised by the British, French, Portuguese and Belgians. He maintained control using a mixture of German troops stationed overseas and local auxiliaries as well as building up the German fleet in his attempt for it to rival that of Great Britain's.
When the war started large elements of the German fleet were guarding colonies particularly in the Pacific, most of them were destroyed in the battle of the Falkland Islands.
>>
>>42453
You know your shit. Thanks, anon. Where'd you learn all this?
>>
>>42576
well I'm currently at university at the moment and one of my modules looks at European colonialism before during and after the First World War, so I just went through my lecture and seminar notes.
>>
>>42723
Good on you for that. Think you can give me some info on how different Germany would be if it wasn't able to get involved in the war between Austria and Serbia?
>>
>>43393
well Germany would still have its disputes with France over the Alsace-Lorraine region and the nautical rivalry with Great Britain would still continue. As for the colonial empire Japan still would have had its sights set on China so the German possessions over there would still be under some degree of threat, and the Australians wanted control of German New Guinea as a colony of Australia not Great Britain and a similar story could be argued with German South West Africa with the South Africans wanting more farmland as for German East Africa there was still some in Britain who are very intent on completing the Cape Town to Cairo railway and so German East Africa would need to be sorted out for a continuous line of pink.
And this all hypothetical of course, the only way I think Germany could have avoided the war in 1918 was if they took a leading role in organising and partaking in international talks to prevent the Austrian-Serbian crisis from escalating. problem with this was that Germany had stood down over the Tangier crisis a few years prior and Wilhelm the second liked to portray himself very much as an international strongman so if Germany stayed out no one would have trusted them to commit to any alliances if they backed out of this one and Wilhelm needed a war to legitimise himself as a traditional German ruler as German rulers particularly Prussian ones had a reputation of not being shy of war when the chips were down and so talking big but backing out would have damaged his reputation at home and is credibility abroad.
>>
Thread recommendation: Read The Iron Kingdom by Christopher Clark. Excellent single-volume history on Prussia.
>>
>>44040
thanks man will look into it
Thread posts: 30
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.