[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Was Ancient Mali ruled by Arabs? They seemed to have major influence.

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 2

File: mali_empire.jpg (30KB, 389x255px) Image search: [Google]
mali_empire.jpg
30KB, 389x255px
Was Ancient Mali ruled by Arabs? They seemed to have major influence.
>>
>>384926
No /pol/ it wasn't
>>
>Was Ancient Mali ruled by Arabs?
No. It was ruled by a native dynasty founded by Sundjata Keita, and no Islamic writer calls them Arabs. They adopted a small amount of Islamic culture under Mansa Musa which was mostly limited to a few towns while the vast majority of the population was pagan. The Arabs/Berbers in Mali were basically just merchants and maybe a few scholars or artisans brought in by the rulers.

>They seemed to have major influence.
They were rich but not very impressive.
>>
>>384971
It was not found by them it was founded by Tebu people.
>>
>>384978
Tebu are nowhere near Mali. You must be thinking of Kanem or something.
>>
>>384926
On a semi related tangent, there were a shit ton of Persian colonies on the Eastern African coastline apparently.
>>
>>385027
no
>>
>>385039
wait you are right
>>
>>385039
>>385044
Please do research.
>>
>>385027
The "Persian" colony of Kilwa was founded by a half African.
>>
>>385048
Shhhh i thought Zanzibar was by Oman
>>
>>385027
Swahilis are Bantus and always have been, but their rulers often claimed Persian ancestry. It was probably a mix of truth and fiction meant to add prestige to their dynasty. By the time the Swahilis flourished (14th-16th centuries) they were completely black.
>>
Yes OP.

Mandinka people are Arabs.

We're actually just black people suits.

Mari Jata, Kankan, and Magan Kon Fatta are arab names.
>>
>>384926
No. They adopted some facets of Arabic culture that came with Islam as well as the Arabic alphabet but that's about it
>>
No, they had contact with Arab merchants but the rulers were all black.

Their reigns are well documented, we have a good idea what they looked like.
>>
>>385027
Sort of. Most of the cities have bantu origins, and persian colonists had great power as time went on.

Of course many black muslim rulers to this day claim arab or persian heritage to connect themselves to Muhammad
>>
>ancient Mali
>ancient
>arabs
>>
File: 79719[1].png (623KB, 1000x680px) Image search: [Google]
79719[1].png
623KB, 1000x680px
>>384926
>Was Ancient Mali ruled by Arabs?
No reason to think so. Want to share some?
>They seemed to have major influence.
Do you mean Mali had major influence on the Arab world, or that Arabs had a major influence on Mali?
I think both are false, and see no reason to consider either.
>>
>>386434
Both Mali and the Arabs influenced each other, but that's different from one being ruled by the other
>>
>>386753
They influenced each other for sure, but "major influence" implies having one's culture and society heavily derived from the other.
Like the Byzantines heavily influenced the Ottomans, for example, or before that the Greeks heavily influenced the Romans.
>>
Ir mantikala hashtag koira boro, nga te mbirnga
>>
>>385083

You're probably the fifth poster I've seen in the past two days mentioning that they're African.

Where the hell are y'all coming from? Did somebody mention /his/ over at Nairaland?
>>
>>385067
>Swahilis are Bantus and always have been
Oh please, enough with the revisionism.

>>384926
Yes, Mali was founded by tuaregs.
Thread posts: 23
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.