[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How in the fuck did the eighteenth amendment ever get passed?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 132
Thread images: 10

File: prohibition2.jpg (165KB, 720x854px) Image search: [Google]
prohibition2.jpg
165KB, 720x854px
How in the fuck did the eighteenth amendment ever get passed? What made people decide that banning the sale and transportation of alcohol was a good idea?
>>
>>371758
It was promoted by the "dry" crusaders, a movement led by rural Protestants and social Progressives in the Democratic and Republican parties, and was coordinated by the Anti-Saloon League, and the Woman's Christian Temperance Union.
>>
>>371758

Feminism 1.0 was all about trying to get rid of alcohol.
>>
>>371758
industrialization first began to create a life style which was noticeably draining upon people's souls. Wake up, go to work, come home, sleep, is no way to live. thus people naturally sought out a release from this monotony. the most common form, and one of the more effective, was alcohol. unfortunately wages during this early period of industrialization were of course a joke. thus people would quickly spend a large amount of their pay drinking. once these drunks got home, the wife would then ask where was the money from their jobs.
>domestic abuse ensues.
through this alcohol quickly developed a reputation for being the source of much evil in this world. the resulting hatred of alcohol led to the temperance movement, which of course led to prohibition.
>>
>>371758
muh feelins
>>
>>371758
Suffragists
>>
>>371758
Classic case of mistaking a symptom for the problem.
>>
>>371758
People thought that the reason people were miserable had to do with alcohol.

It wasn't until afterwards they realized they were miserable because they were living in slums.
>>
>>371758
You got about 10,000 "drugs," plants, drinks, and other stimulants and psychoactive substances banned and prohibited today and you wonder how just ONE of them got banned for a little over a decade? The real question is how did they ever repeal alcohol prohibition?
>>
>>371758
America had a bigger drinking problem back then than it did now. Wives were sick of their husbands drowning themselves at the bar so when women got the ability to vote they pushed to have alcohol banned.
>>
>>372078
How terrible, being given a right, only to vote to take away another.
>>
File: muh failure.png (23KB, 442x326px) Image search: [Google]
muh failure.png
23KB, 442x326px
http://www.nytimes.com/1989/10/16/opinion/actually-prohibition-was-a-success.html

social libertarians are a cancer to organized society and ought to be shot. Alcohol to rights should be banned or restricted
>>
>>372100
unfortunately this is AMERICA, land of the FREE.
if you want to be told what to do you can move back to europe.
>>
>>372130
>if you want to be told what to do you can move back to europe.

>Can't drink til 21
>Can't drink outside under the sky like god intended
>Can't stay out past govt. mandated bedtime
>has to hide indoors or else get shot.
truly free.
>>
>>372151
''Well, in Amsterdam, you can buy beer in a movie theatre. And I don't mean in a paper cup either. They give you a glass of beer, like in a bar. In Paris, you can buy beer at MacDonald's''
>>
>>371758
>How in the fuck did the illegalization of marijuana ever get passed? What made people decide that banning the sale and use of marijuana was a good idea?
>>
>>371758
a lot of women supported it because in the western towns alcoholism was rampant and lots of husbands were extremely abusive partly because of it
alcoholism was basically every modern drug problem today in one
>>
>>371758
They recently invented this thing called "morality", degenerate filth.
>>
File: PG Drunk.jpg (318KB, 658x800px) Image search: [Google]
PG Drunk.jpg
318KB, 658x800px
A big part of it also had to do with the influx of European immigrants, and how many of them sold their own alcohol. An often overlooked fact is that the KKK made a huge push to enforce Prohibition, alongside the Anti-Saloon League. The roots of Prohibition itself goes back into the early 19th century, too.

Woman's Sufferage being passed also goes back to Prohibition, with dry zealots like Wheeler campaigning for equal voting rights for women, knowing full well that they'll cast their ballots in favor in Prohibition.

That very same activism led to the Income Tax in America, thanks to the lost revenue of taxes from banning booze.
>>
feminist crybullies not even memeing

Women also tried to get coffeehouses banned during the enlightenment
>>
>>372571
To be fair, women back then weren't able to support themselves and alcoholism was a way bigger problem. I'd want to make alcohol illegal too if it made the sole protector of my family a wastrel who beats the shit out of me.
>>
>>372061
alcohol has been with humanity since the beginning of time though, its not even considered a drug most of the time
>>
Women r cunts tbqh
>>
>>371758

It kind of almost had a point to it. It wasnt just a puritan thing, it was more there was a problem in the late 1800s of men going out and drinking all day and then coming home and beating their wives and children, and there was really nothing a woman could do to stop it, so they took it out on booze

it was a complete bullshit law from the start and pretty much everyone ignored it, pretty much every politician and cop was drinking booze on the side. When they actually repealed it, there were still a handfull of senators who thought it was good, and when they started to give their passionate speech on why they shouldnt vote it out, everyone in the senate was shouting "just vote no already so we can have a beer"

FDR got the longest applause break out of any speech when he said he was going to end it
>>
>>372597
I'm sure that none of that was an effect of men working their asses to death for long hours under inhumane conditions and then being nagged at home. Just average Joes going apeshit after drinking a glass or two.
>>
>>372100
You're an idiot.
>>
>>372301
If alcohol was immoral, why did Jesus turn water into wine?
>>
>>372648
He was a Jew...
>>
>>372273

When 3/4 of the states get together and ratify a constitutional amendment to make marijuana illegal this will be a better comparison.
>>
To be fair to prohibition, while it was a "failure", it did put a heavier focus on being responsible with alcohol, and made drunkenness more reprehensible. Saloons where working-class men could get drunk off their ass and then go home and beat their wives went the way of the dodo.
>>
>>372687
>bullshit not even based in reality
>didn't work either, everyone was drinking anyway
>still good tho, made drunks look worse

pls
>>
>>372609

So have psychoactive drugs, with humanity since the beginning of time, so those should be legal too, right?

And weed is five thousand years old, at least (it is probably more like a hundred thousand, it was certainly used in wild-form by the first humans to encounter it just like other psychoactive plants), so that should be legal too, right?

Isn't it dangerous that most people don't even consider a powerful drug to not even be a drug at all?
>>
>>372609
So has cannabis and opiates. They are still illegal.
>>
>>371758
Protestants disregarding the Constitution the same way they disregard the bible.
>>
>>371758
All the men were fighting in WWI.
>>
>>371797
No surprise Christians were behind it.

>muh purity
>muh holier than thou
>>
>>372086
America had a legit drinking problem back then though. If ever there was a time when prohibition was justified it was then.
>>
>>372759
>so those should be legal too, right?

Unironically yes.
>>
>>372130
> Can't cross the street wherever you want
> FREE

kek
>>
>>372151
>>Can't drink outside under the sky like god intended
>>Can't stay out past govt. mandated bedtime
>>has to hide indoors or else get shot.

none of these are true. Also, America is the only place left with freedom of speech left.
>>
Feminism and evangelism.
>>
>>372913
You got independent neutral news stations and papers?
>>
>>372571
CHI-RAQ
>>
>>371758
This what a nation looks like on religion, just shy of theocracy.
>>
>>372648
Becuase most water was unsanitary.

Wine and most alcohols were safe to drink.
>>
>>372273
It didn't get illegalized inasmuch as the DEA were given powers to arbitrarily make on decisions what is and is not illegal.
>>
>>372597
Well it can be said that feminism has always fought for the right to get fat and sit on their asses.
>>
>>372853
But christianity literally requires you to drink once a week.
>>
>>373018
Not to get drunk though. Having a good time with it is a sin.
>>
>>372774
But they were not? They were in some specific areas of the planet where it's banned due to western influence if it is?

People has been drinking continuously without big stopping in most of the world. It's clearly not the same. Or now you'e gonna tell me that your average 13th century french peasant smoked some joints with the mates every week?
>>
>>371758

The income tax was what did it. The temperance movement had been around for decades, but the federal government relied too much on excise duties on liquor for it to get far at a national level. The passage of the national income tax in 1913 opened new funding avenues and made national prohibition viable. Likewise, the Depression and associated drop in income tax revenues made repeal desirable.
>>
>>373027
But I'm sure the prohibition was not a "well, have a drink, but don't get pissed lad!" thing.
>>
>>372913
japan has FoS like us, no stupid fucking hate speech laws
>>372963
probably, you know america is massive right?
>>
>>371758
The first time the nation got a glimpse of proto-bar culture, hook up culture and alcohol degeneracy that is caused by bar scenes in big developed cosmopolitan cities aall over, they panicked.

they saw large-scale, outside your door, inside your home degeneracy, flapper-bar attention culture, essentially the guidettes of their time, caused the moral compass of the nation (the mid-west, small town america) to panic. They saw the impending doom of alcohol drunken hook up life and they tried to stop it.
>>
>>371758
Presbyterians, Baptists, and Mormons all had an animus against drink since even before the Second Great Awakening. Hundreds of sermons and tracts from the period considered drink the most pernicious evil in the world next to Catholicism. Hell, even C.H. Spurgeon did a couple sermons on the vileness of alcohol. In a supposedly "pure" Christian society, drinking naturally should be abolished, for the good of men's souls. This is the bedrock of the movement. America, like it or not, is shaped by people who talk like this since before the beginning.

On the secular side, many intellectuals of the time thought that drinking brought out the animal nature, and since reason was paramount, drinking wasn't a good thing to be doing. Largely the same argument the Protestants had, just with less religious overtones and appeals to emotion.

Then, in 1918, women suddenly got the vote. That put the power into the hands of any woman who considered drinking to be the root of her marital problems and there you go, Constitutional amendment.
>>
>>373096
humans are a social creature, and by the early 20th century we had developed a new lifestyle that affected untold percentages of the population. Directly or indirectly , the boozing, and partying led to rock and roll and std's becoming "a thing" and it party hook up culture had its "industrial revolution" so to speak in the 20's.

"big religion" has always been a facet of the American condition. in this case, it spoke to some reason that they were abating what we all see now as a huge failure and divirgence into moral degeneracy.
>>
>>372646
hello butthurt clap, can you provide information beyond biased cato studies otherwise?
>>
>>373027
If "a good time" isn't getting drunk.
See John 2:1-11
>>
>>373142
>Jews
>anything like protestants

I seriously hope you're not serious.

>>373069
This brings up an interesting issue. What happened to Catholic Churches that used wine?
>>
>>372994
desu is there a single reason not to get rid of the dea?
>>
>>372888
prohibition was never justified, it only made it worse because now you get a huge jump in organized crime.
>>
>>373164
I though the wine thing was universal in all christianity? (meme "protestant" sects like mormons do not count)
>>
>>372963

who gives a fuck about the press? Its the same everywhere. At least in America, violent video games or movies arent edited down or banned, people arent thrown in jail for denying the holocaust or wearing a swastika armband, and people also arent arrested for saying edgy shit on the internet.
>>
>>373169
cirrhosis rates decreased. Recorded use rates after the end of prohibition show a decline from previous levels... which increased steadily over the years until above prohibition levels after repealing

Organized crime? Yes. Ineffective? Highly debatable
>>
>>373251
I guess that depends on which you would prefer having, liver disease or gangsters shooting each other in the streets, corrupting the government, and generally ruining the peace.
>>
>>372571
They even went around slyly entering bars and then went apeshit once they got close to the alcohol, smashing every bottle they could and swinging axes around like lunatics. People were probably more scared of axe-weilding feminazi's not getting their way than the alcohol.
>>
>>373195
Idk. I was raised Christian and we went through a few different denominations. I never saw wine used (usually grape juice) until I got dragged along to a buddies catholic church when I was like 10.

A side observation is that every Catholic church I've seen uses universal community pot type dispersal, whereas the Christian ones passed out individual little cups. Not very sanitary.
>>
Alcohol is literally poison. It makes people act stupid, makes people unable to drive safely, kills peoples' brain cells, addicts people, and kills people of cirrhosis.
>>
>>373206
>Its the same everywhere.

No

>violent video games or movies arent edited down or banned

movies suited for 12 years old get X rating in America though.

>people arent thrown in jail for denying the holocaust or wearing a swastika armband

I believe that only happens in Germany, the local bookstore here sells Mein Kampf.

>people also arent arrested for saying edgy shit on the internet.

Swatting
>>
Women bitching.

It was literally SJWs
>>
>>373340
Try having some fun faggot
>>
>>373350
>movies suited for 12 years old get X rating in America though.
which one.
>>
>>373427
You sound like a teenager
>>
>>373350
Swatting is not being edgy, swatting is a federal offense and directly threatens someones life
>>
>>373263
gangsters were a function of weak democratic laws prioritizing "due process" over getting the job done. That's what got corrupted
>>
>>373340
Sex is literally poison, It makes people act stupid, Makes people not focus on real things, It kills peoples brain cells, addicts people, and shortens their lifespan.
>>
>>373167
There are not good reasons to absolutely do away with it but the process by which they make drugs illegal is frankly undemocratic.
>>
>>373459
sex kills brain cells? Shortens life span? Not what I've read

I suspect you're one of those retards who tries to equate seemingly like things without knowing the first thing about them. Citations or gtfo
>>
It was passed by women when 12 million America men were overseas in Europe
>>
>>373444
You sound like a stick in the mud
>>
>>373350
>Swatting

Thats not what swatting is dumb dick. Thats trolling people and calling the cops on them and saying "this guy on twitch is planning a terrorist attack!"

>movies suited for 12 years old get X rating in America though.

literally never happened. But shit like Mortal Kombat is out right banned in Australia
>>
>>373472
Can Anon no longer understand jocular copypasta?
>>
>>373483
it's a class 1 carcinogen on par with cigarettes

at any dosage has been shown to be neurotoxic in chemical tests

kills thousands in car accidents, alcoholism. Costs just as much in terms of harms. Classified close to heroin on harm use charts

the "benefits" of red wine have been shown to be superior in dealcohlized wine, and are theorized to be a function of the grape juice...

LOL
>>
>>373506
so you're meming your hatred for posters who think people shouldn't drink? Think you're a little young for this part of the site, kid
>>
>>373512
Boy I bet hanging out with you on the weekends is a dream
>>
>>373530
fag of the year: the poster
>>
>>373554
no seriously you sound great

Being ugly on the outside is okay being a dick is not to be tolerated
>>
>>373554
Nice, have fun at bible study
>>
File: moonman.png (8KB, 732x732px) Image search: [Google]
moonman.png
8KB, 732x732px
>>373570
>>373572
>"scientific fact ain't so if i don't like it"
>>
>>372258
I don't understand what you're getting at. I live in the midwest and you can get beer in a glass at the theaters in the city. You can't get a beer at McDonald's but I mean who wants to go into a fucking McDonald's either way?
>>
File: PULP FICTION.jpg (444KB, 1276x1600px) Image search: [Google]
PULP FICTION.jpg
444KB, 1276x1600px
>>373726
>>
>>371819
Americans drank far more before the advent of industrialism than after. Hard cider and whiskey was everywhere on the frontier because poor transportation infrastructure made shipping produce to market troublesome so an easy solution was to distill grain into alcohol which could be stored longer. In many frontier areas, whiskey was as good as paper currency.

Americans drank half as much alcohol as they did in 1830 as they did in 1800.
>>
>>373737
>entire post in quotes
>don't search quote
shame on me.
>>
>>372774
>>372759

Many cultures have no big association with psychoactive drugs, and even in those that do i cannot imagine that a single one has the same sort of association as with alcohol.

Modern people think of alcohol as a leisure drug, but for thousands of years it was closer to a necessity. The fermentation process kills harmful bacteria, so drinking beer or your local equivalent was basically always safer than drinking water. Men drank. Children drank. Pregnant women drank. Every day. Not because they wanted to get drunk, but because people who didn't just didn't have the same life expectancy.

Heck, the old name for alcohol is Aqua Vitae. Water of Life.

So yeah, no matter how much you like pot, it has nowhere near the historical precedent that alcohol has. Still should be legal, obviously, but pretending its exactly the same as alcohol is just dumb.
>>
>>373848
I would not go so far as diminish any potential contributions cannabis may have.
>>
>>374078
>that pic
you can't possibly be serious
>>
>>372100
in the chart the numbers went down right after 1984 because of the 21+ drinking age
>>
>>371758
Alcoholism was a way, way, way bigger problem then then it was now.

The average American went through 1.7 bottles of hard liquor a week.
>>
>>373516
No I was Memeing posters who can't into moderation.

And yes sex can kill brain cells through STD's (syphilis), Shortens (womens) lifespan if she has to many kids, is addictive to some people, and people in love often can't function mentally 100%

And just like alcohol you can't fucking ban sex.

Point is just because a few can't keep themselves in check doesn't mean the rest of us must suffer.

Its ultimately up those who can't control their addictions to seek help or avoid using drugs altogether.
>>
>>371758
the goal behind every deteriorating institution the state imposes, is not the improvement of society due to the containment of bad elements, but the failure of the institution itself.

t. Foucault reader
>>
>>372100
Hello >>>/pol/
>>
>>371813
>>371827
>>372025

no
>>
>>373336
This is a late reply, but I went to Episcopal school for a bit and we used wine in our services
>>
>>372100
>actually-prohibition-was-a-success

sure, it was a huge succes for organised crime which rose to mythical levels and has been influencing your politics during the cold war era.

But nevermind, the Sopranos are on.
>>
>>372759
do you understand the social and political consequences of banning a substance?

apparently not.
>>
As soon as women got the right to vote they went about punishing men.

It's women who voted for Prohibition. Which led to rum runners, which led to the rise of the mob.
>>
The same idiots who today think banning drugs and prostitution is a good idea.
>>
Puritan women who wanted to curb alcoholism in their husbands by banning it completely.
>>
>>373350
It is painfully obvious you have literally never been to America. Holocaust denial is illegal in several countries besides Germany. Also Mein Kampf isn't Holocaust denial. Shouldn't you be in class? You need to be 18 or older to post here.
>>
>>372258
Funny thing, last time I saw Pulp Fiction it was a midnight showing at Alamo Drafthouse and I had a beer while I watched it.
>>
>>373472
Ever heard of Al Capone
>>
>>373648
>people don't deserve to have a choice
>no one should value fun over a chance of a slightly decreased life span

Boo
>>
>>373164
Catholics were still allowed to use wine for communion
>>
>>377082
No they don't
Freedom is cancer
>>
>>371758
Just let me say one word to you. Just one word:

Women.
>>
I don't get it. I'm very chill when I'm drunk and when I'm shitfaced I'm obviously no danger to anyone. Is beating up women and children while drunk an american thing or something?
>>
>>377182
I don't believe you've never met an angry drunk in your life. It's definitely an issue of individual temperament.
>>
>>371758
pretty sure it was just a test to see what shit they could do and get away with
>>
>>377182
Nah, your individual experience doesn't relate to the entire population of alcohol users.

The stereotype is poor, over worked laborers spending a large amount of their paychecks in bars/on alcohol then beating their wives when an argument broke out over where all the money was going. They weren't happy/chill people.
>>
>>373763

The vast majority of Americans weren't frontiersmen though. Industrialisation and the birth of the urban proletariat is what caused the infamous widespread alcoholism and impoverishment that led to such a radically repressive legislation against alcohol.
>>
>women get the right to vote
>first landmark amendment they vote en masse for is prohibition
Anyone saying otherwise is a liar.
>>
>>373478
underrated post.
>>
>>371758
most people thought it would exclude beer and wine.
>>
>>371758
>alcohol consumption goes down to 1/3 of what it was
>alcoholism goes down by 1/2
>somehow prohibition was failure
>>
>>377182
I did. I just wonder how common it was. My grandfather was a drunk but he didn't beat up my gradma or their children. Generaly if you can beat up a sober person while drunk you didn't drink enough.
>>
>>374544
moderation. Can you show that physiologically?

Pro tip: it's a spook. There's no such thing as objective moderation, it's an entirely relative concept

alcohol was banned in the 1930's and drinking rates dropped. What the fuck are you talking about?

>>377072
DUDE CAPONE /=/ sex kills brain cells. Quit trying to change the program you faggot

>>377082
democracy isn't for the people
>>
>>377363
>first landmark amendment they vote en masse for is prohibition

Are you trolling or do you just not know who votes for amendments?
>>
>>374544
oh, and by the way sex increases neurogenesis AKA brain growth

http://journals.plos.org/plosone/article?id=10.1371/journal.pone.0011597
>>
File: A_single_white_feather_closeup.jpg (175KB, 1024x1365px) Image search: [Google]
A_single_white_feather_closeup.jpg
175KB, 1024x1365px
>>378000
well it wasn't the millions of men ladies kicked out of the house to die in france.
>>
>>377114
feel free to move to an unfree country then.
>>
File: Prohibition_Cartoon.gif (41KB, 525x371px) Image search: [Google]
Prohibition_Cartoon.gif
41KB, 525x371px
Also, anti-immigration. Booze was associated with immigrants. They had drinking cultures and worked in the breweries, which was why the KKK backed prohibition.
>>
>>371758
>Be Philippines.
>Be under US rule back then.
>USA Passes prohibition.
>They dared not pass it here least we restart the Independence War or something.
>Great Grandad made megabucks via cartel from Manila-Hawaii-San Francisco.
>It totally was legal
Lel.

Though I heard unincorporated territories aren't really under federal law so eh.
Thread posts: 132
Thread images: 10

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.