[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

People forgotten by history

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 62
Thread images: 22

>historical figures no one cares about.
>>
Arguably the most important moment in English history.
>>
>>36352
I totally agree with you on that anon
>>
>>36313
And he was one of the best.
>>
File: William Jennings Bryan.jpg (8KB, 300x231px) Image search: [Google]
William Jennings Bryan.jpg
8KB, 300x231px
You better know of this guy.
>>
>>36561
Yeah, a creationist who hated the gold standard. With him as chief of state the Great Depression would've happened in 1920.
>>
>>36670
yeah basically
>>
>>36313

Rutherford B Hayes and Samuel Tilden.

They tied for the presidency in part because of a hurricane hitting new york.

The deal was Hayes would win the white house as a republican and the federal troops would be removed from the south, ending reconstruction.
>>
File: EdwardBernays.jpg (13KB, 300x359px) Image search: [Google]
EdwardBernays.jpg
13KB, 300x359px
>>
It's sad how few people know John Jay.
>>
>>37148
>John Jay was an American statesman, Patriot, diplomat, one of the Founding Fathers of the United States, signer of the Treaty of Paris, and first Chief Justice of the United States.
It's a shame but I can see why no one remembered him
>>
>>36313
Me as soon as I die.
>>
>>37293
Beat me to it
>>
>>37253
You'd think Spoopy Skellies would be all over him for abolishing slavery in New York.

I guess the narrative that all the Founding Fathers were evil, slave owning racists is too tempting a notion.
>>
>>37253

Isn't he the guy that invaded england's mainland during the revolutionary war?
>>
File: Lester_B._Pearson_with_a_pencil.jpg (110KB, 600x744px) Image search: [Google]
Lester_B._Pearson_with_a_pencil.jpg
110KB, 600x744px
>>36313
he did everything that made Canada Number 1 yet no one remember him.
>>
Everyone knows William Henry Harrison for being a celebrated general, having a catchy campaign slogan and ignominiously dying after only a month of being inaugurated president, but nobody remembers Benjamin Harrison, from the era where American statesmen wore beards.
>>
>>37293
>you while still alive senpai
>>
>>37354
I think it's just because all of the Northern states abolished slavery at some point before the civil war, because it simply wasn't profitable up there.
>>
>>37383
I can only say that W.H. Harrison was a better president than his grandson.
>>
Forgotten outside of Scotland anyway.

Somebody should make a film about this based cunt.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/James_Graham,_1st_Marquess_of_Montrose
>>
File: sdadsad.jpg (156KB, 1532x1600px) Image search: [Google]
sdadsad.jpg
156KB, 1532x1600px
Not precisely on point as he's far from forgotten, but it really rustles my jimmies that people use Einstein as the standard of intelligence ("this kid is smarter than Einstein!"), rather than Newton. He's not paid nearly as much credit as he deserves by common folk.
>>
File: john von neumann.jpg (345KB, 900x1326px) Image search: [Google]
john von neumann.jpg
345KB, 900x1326px
>the bobby fischer of cold war military strategy
>invented the computer virus
>invented modern game theory
>invented the notion of cellular automata and early pioneer of the notion of self-replication
>one of the only men to have ever had an actual eidetic memory (not some savant insect-like aptitude for specific recollections but literally a perfect mind)
>Samuel T Cohen, inventory of the neutron bomb once said "Bennie decided to approach Johnnie (Von N) on the matter and arranged to travel to Princeton’s Institute for Advanced Study, headed up at the time by Oppenheimer, where Johnnie (and lesser geniuses such as Albert Einstein) was stationed.
>near universally feared by his colleagues for his horrifying intelligence
>considered the smartest man of the 20th century par none
>invented the stored program digital computer
>invented the explosive lenses critical for the implosion pit of nuclear weapons
>the ubermensch
>>
>>37489
That's because Einstein existed in an era with mass media.
>>
File: original.jpg (16KB, 683x430px) Image search: [Google]
original.jpg
16KB, 683x430px
Stanislav Yevgrafovich Petrov (Russian: Cтaниcлáв Eвгpáфoвич Пeтpóв; born 1939 in Odessa, Ukraine[1]) is a retired lieutenant colonel of the Soviet Air Defence Forces. On September 26, 1983, just three weeks after the Soviet military had shot down Korean Air Lines Flight 007, Petrov was the duty officer at the command center for the Oko nuclear early-warning system when the system reported that a missile, followed by another one and then up to five more, were being launched from the United States. Petrov judged the report to be a false alarm,[2] and his decision is credited with having prevented an erroneous retaliatory nuclear attack on the United States and its NATO allies that could have resulted in large-scale nuclear war. Investigation later confirmed that the satellite warning system had indeed malfunctioned
>If he fucked up the hole world would have ended
>>
File: Erdos_head_budapest_fall_1992.jpg (55KB, 246x278px) Image search: [Google]
Erdos_head_budapest_fall_1992.jpg
55KB, 246x278px
I wouldn't say he's forgotten as it isn't even 20 years ago since he died.
But Paul Erdős is definitely not that well-known outside of mathematics.
Pretty amazing how so many famous scientists were from Hungary.
>>
File: 1445860094942.jpg (422KB, 1441x1949px) Image search: [Google]
1445860094942.jpg
422KB, 1441x1949px
>defined the concept of handwashing for doctors
>doctors reject it and laugh at him, thinking it as a useless procedure
>infantry mortality rates drop to under 1% after he introduced it
>dies without recognition in an asylum
>Years shortly after, Louis Pasteur and Joseph Lister confirm the germ theory, giving evidence to his work
>>
File: Franz_Conrad_von_Hötzendorf.jpg (114KB, 800x1020px) Image search: [Google]
Franz_Conrad_von_Hötzendorf.jpg
114KB, 800x1020px
Started World War One.
>>
>>38290
>another Hungarian
At this point I'm not even surprised, but that's pretty cool.
Reminds me a similar case. I think it was Ludwig Boltzmann.
>>
>>36313
The one and only Emperor of the United States.
And Protector of Mexico.
>>
>>37103
Freedom you say?
>>
File: Tesla_circa_1890[1].jpg (474KB, 940x1260px) Image search: [Google]
Tesla_circa_1890[1].jpg
474KB, 940x1260px
Nikola Tesla
>>
>>36313
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9uW0hepYV1M
>>
File: 1.jpg (87KB, 736x981px) Image search: [Google]
1.jpg
87KB, 736x981px
>>
File: 2015-09-18 02.09.14.png (366KB, 973x1822px) Image search: [Google]
2015-09-18 02.09.14.png
366KB, 973x1822px
>>36313
>Some moron manages to cross the Alps with elephants
>Most of his army dies, has to hire mercenaries on the other side
>Plunders a bunch of Italian towns
>He is lured back home and defeated by a much better general, despite enjoying numerical and home advantage
>He becomes more famous that the brilliant general who defeated him
>>
File: zarathoustra.jpg (123KB, 800x467px) Image search: [Google]
zarathoustra.jpg
123KB, 800x467px
>>36313
>>
>>36352
Being not English, what am I looking at?

And why is it the most important moment in English history?
>>
>>36352
ayyyyyy
>>
>>39496
Maybe if the Charthagenians actually sent him his mutch needed reinforcements, which they could since they weren't paying Rome anymore) he could've done something else.
Also he destroyed the whole roman army about 3-4 times.
And each time Rome had to build a NEW army.
Scipio was great, but he was also lucky he managed to grab Hamilcar before he connected with Hannibal.
>>
>>39496
romanboos can be stupid also scipio is well known
>>
>>39496
read
>>39605

Carthage nobles were jelly and it was their lack of support in a right moment that made Romans win the war.
>>
>>39108
You mean Nihal Tesloğlu, inventor of the kebab
>>
>>39528
In 410 AD the Roman army left Britain to fend for itself. For the next few decades the locals fought one another with two leading factions led by Ambrosius Aurelianus and Vortigern. Large raiding parties from the north and Ireland attacked and settled parts of southern Britain. In response Vortigern (a Romano-British) warlord invited over an army of Angles, Saxons and Jutes (you might be able to see where this is leading) to help out as foederati troops (mercs). He gave them the island of Thanet and large payments in exchange for them fighting for him against his Roman and non-Roman enemies. The leaders of these warbands were called Hengist and Horsa allegedly. To cut a long story short, eventually the Germanic tribesman got pissy once payment stopped flowing and attacked the Britons, leading to the eventual conquest of lowland Britain and the formation of the kingdom of England.
>>
>no one has posted this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r8N7BSsU5oo
>>
>>36313
Fun fact: his mother tongue was dutch
>>
>>38321
It's so fun seeing Indy Neidell shit on him in every other episode of The Great War.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jzihQE1O27g
>>
>>40534
It's funny how often "mediocre" means "best."
>>
>>39108
this to be honest family
>>
>>36313
I care about him.

t. Dutchman
>>
>>37148
Jay Treaty a shit. Fuck the Federalists.
>>
File: Metternich_(c._1835-40).jpg (755KB, 1886x2436px) Image search: [Google]
Metternich_(c._1835-40).jpg
755KB, 1886x2436px
>>36313
Everyone talks about how the Russians or Wellington crushed Napoleon Bonaparte.
But who here ever heard of Metternich ?

Metternich has no fame and no glory, and yet he was THE architect of Napoleon's defeat. Not on the battlefield, but by political manipulations, alliances, betrayals and leverages.
He died alone and in the shade of history.

I remember a scene in the theater play "L'Aiglon", that is based on the life of Napoleon's son, where Metternich finds himself in a dark room with Bonaparte's hat, his bicorn, and he starts a huge "fight" with his hat, because everyone on Earth knows about this damn hat Nap wore, and no one gives a fuck about Metternich of Austria.
>>
>>38103
That story is sensationalised. It would have been pretty obvious for him that it was a false alarm. You wouldn't launch a first strike with <10 missiles.
>>
File: RIP.jpg (3MB, 2921x3225px) Image search: [Google]
RIP.jpg
3MB, 2921x3225px
RIP based god
>>
>>37597
>forgotten by history
VON NEUMANN MACHINES
>>
File: Aristarchos_von_Samos_(Denkmal).jpg (41KB, 239x425px) Image search: [Google]
Aristarchos_von_Samos_(Denkmal).jpg
41KB, 239x425px
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aristarchus_of_Samos
Imagine if people had adopted his model of the solar system in Archimedes' time.
>>
>>43061
Metternich was the guy that would never leave the office
>>
>>37479
Yay my clansmen Ne Oublie!
>>
>>36313
Only president whose first language wasn't English, and people hated him because of the Panic of 1837 and his inaction to it, so they elected a president whose only claim to fame would be dying. Nothing else is really notable about him.
>>
>>36561
>muh silver
>>
File: 220px-Wladyslaw_Raginis.jpg (13KB, 220x299px) Image search: [Google]
220px-Wladyslaw_Raginis.jpg
13KB, 220x299px
WLADYSLAW RAGINIS
>>
File: EmpNort1.gif (69KB, 328x558px) Image search: [Google]
EmpNort1.gif
69KB, 328x558px
>>38662

>Norton was occasionally a visionary, and some of his Imperial Decrees exhibited profound foresight. He issued instructions to form a League of Nations, and he explicitly forbade any form of conflict between religions or their sects. Norton saw fit to decree the construction of a suspension bridge or tunnel connecting Oakland and San Francisco, his later decrees becoming increasingly irritated at the lack of prompt obedience by the authorities
>Norton spent his days inspecting San Francisco's streets in an elaborate blue uniform with gold-plated epaulettes, given to him by officers of the United States Army post at the Presidio of San Francisco. He also wore a beaver hat decorated with a peacock feather and a rosette.
>Norton was loved and revered by the citizens of San Francisco. Although penniless, he regularly ate at the finest restaurants in San Francisco; restaurateurs took it upon themselves to add brass plaques in their entrances declaring "[by] Appointment to his Imperial Majesty, Emperor Norton I of the United States

Definitely makes the list of "historical people that would post on 4chan today"
>>
>>39108
>>39726
You mean Nicolas Tesleau, the inventor of the baguette.
Thread posts: 62
Thread images: 22

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.