[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

The Republic

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 10
Thread images: 3

File: 1505098091384.jpg (14KB, 423x288px) Image search: [Google]
1505098091384.jpg
14KB, 423x288px
So we can all agree that Trasymachus did nothing wrong, right? He proved eloquently and clearly that justice is nothing more than arbitary decisions of the one in charge. Meanwhile Socrates just kept applying mental gymnastics and spouting complete baseless nonsense.
>>
Seriously no one here has read the Republic? No wonder this board is so shit
>>
>>3397606
>complaining about mental gymnastics
>In a book about philosophy
3 posts later
>I was only pretending to be retarded guys, seriously
>>
>>3398086
Maieutics isn't supposed to be just mental gymnastics. It's based on logical patterns and pointing out contradictions in one's argument. However Socrates seems really unconvincing when answering Thrasymachus, and this guy is supposed to be some infamous sophist.

All the time during debate Socrates argues about the idealized concept of Justice per se, and is unable to refute the basic argument of Thrasymachus, and that is practical usage of this concept in reality. He didn't explain how can an ideal work in real life as an ideal, without being distorted by human flaws.
>>
>>3397606
Socrates didn't know shit and he was proud of it.
>>
File: IMG_0048.png (3KB, 698x1284px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0048.png
3KB, 698x1284px
>>3397606
>>
p. sure thrasymachus got btfo, you might want to read it again

Anyway, Republic is a low tier dialogue. I don't hate it, but many topics are handled better in other dialogues.

In regards to the debate with thrasymachus, it's done better in Plato's Gorgias.
>>
>>3398086
>>3398308

Contribute or fuck off
>>
File: thrasymachus-quote.jpg (120KB, 794x491px) Image search: [Google]
thrasymachus-quote.jpg
120KB, 794x491px
>>3398341
The whole part where Thrasymachus reluctantly agrees with Socrates with no counter-argument just feels forced too hard. Like i said, Socrates didn't adress the real meaning of argument, the inability of his idealistic Justiceā„¢ to shine in reality. The rest of the debate is pointless since it's just "hurr don't you gedit, justice = GOOD, injustice = BAD, and that's not what Thrasymachus argued against in the first place. Thrasymachus already knows that, and knows that truth is far more different.
>>
>>3398468
One does have to remember this all was a story crafted by Plato to demonstrate his master's philosophy, and at the end of the tale, the main character allows the state to execute him, despite the state being clearly in the wrong.

The unsatisfactory resolution to this argument maybe Plato's way of foreshadowing the true tragedy of that.
Thread posts: 10
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.