[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

American Revolution General /arg/

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 7

File: ARWI.png (43KB, 479x280px) Image search: [Google]
ARWI.png
43KB, 479x280px
Alright /his/

I know this brainlet who has a few questions for you.

>who was the best general for the Americans
>who was the best general for the British
>who was the most important figure on both sides
>top 5 most important battles

Here're my answers, have fun disagreeing
>Washington
>Cornwallis
>Benedict Arnold
1. Saratoga
2. Trenton
3. Lexington & Concord
4. Yorktown
5. Long Island
>>
File: 12437789.jpg (333KB, 933x704px) Image search: [Google]
12437789.jpg
333KB, 933x704px
>Not Saying Charles Lee

Your brain on /his/
>>
>>3394453
The dude who wanted to go full guerilla? Yeah that probably would've worked, and gotten way more civilians killed in the process. Funny to me that even in the 1700's, people knew the consequences of guerrilla warfare.
>Looks askance at Giap
>>
File: Sirhenryclinton2.jpg (50KB, 485x600px) Image search: [Google]
Sirhenryclinton2.jpg
50KB, 485x600px
>>3394396
Clinton for British general.

Sure, maybe Charleston was a shitshow, but he made up for it
>>
Hamilton was the most important figure in the war.

Listen to this if you disagree
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jR1jn8tfrLg
>>
>best general for the British
>not Burgoyne
>>
File: onlythebest.jpg (23KB, 600x450px) Image search: [Google]
onlythebest.jpg
23KB, 600x450px
>>3394564
Not that tard.

Got an explanation Anon?
>>
>>3394595
>the war was pointless (the violence ensured that the colonies would never be loyal again)
>the other generals were incompetent and refused to share critical information
>Parliament was incompetent (why else would they give him an army as reward for abandoning his post?)
>says fuck it and decides to take a leisurely vacation through upstate New York in the Autumn
He was the smartest man in either army tbqh
>>
>>3394637
>abuses position and takes vacation
>best Brit gen
>>
>>3394396
Honestly, despite the bad reputation he gets, I think William Howe had the right idea for the British. Running around and picking fights with the Continental Army isn't going to win you this war, even if you win every battle. The British simply don't have enough men to control the countryside as long as the rebellion is active, and raising the kind of force to occupy an area as large as the 13 colonies is prohibitively expensive.

So instead, occupy the large cities, sit there, and wait for the rebellion to collapse in on itself for want of funds and on their own internal divisions. But there's really very little to be gained from actually seeking out Washington's forces after the capture of Philadelphia.
>>
>>3394681
Life gives you lemons, you make lemonade.
Parliament gives you a gigantic waste of taxpayer money, you take a vacation.
>>
>>3394682
What do you do after the rebellion collapses? The continentals weren't just going to suddenly be okay with British rule again, especially after the threats of unleashing the Indians on them. Yes, the British could have easily won the Revolutionary War, but what about the war after that? The only option would have been a permanent occupation of the colonies (which would have been much too expensive).
>>
>>3394453
WHERE IS CHARLES LEE!
>>
>>3394701
Ultimately, they're probably going to have to grant concessions, even in victory; either in the form of some sort of regional autonomy or in actual parliamentary representation.

In any case, that's not really a decision for a theater commander like Howe.
>>
File: RevolutionaryWarsUS.jpg (313KB, 1806x1135px) Image search: [Google]
RevolutionaryWarsUS.jpg
313KB, 1806x1135px
>>3394701
>Yes, the British could have easily won the Revolutionary War, but what about the war after that?

You're overestimating Britain, faggot
Brits werent a superpower or anything
They were a medium European power, and once two European powers stronger than them entered the conflict, it was only a matter of time begore they lost

And don't forget that the Revolutionary War wasn't Britain's Vietnam
It wasnt a mainly guerilla-style war they lightly decided to quit because of troubles at home.
It was a conventional war fought on the battlefield, and Britain was decisively defeated on said field (Yorktown)
>>
>>3394712
The European powers only entered the war after Howe and Burgoyne grabbed defeat from the jaws of victory. They would never have joined the war if the British hadn't already defeated themselves.
>>
>>3394712
AY YO

SO YOU TELLIN ME

BRITAIN WUZNT A SUPAPOWA AND SHEEEEET<
>>
File: 1024px-FORT_GEORGE.jpg (209KB, 1024x680px) Image search: [Google]
1024px-FORT_GEORGE.jpg
209KB, 1024x680px
Francis McLean as most competent British General.
I feel as if Penobscot isn't really talked about enough....
Thread posts: 18
Thread images: 7

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.